Wes Foderingham if sold

Southpaws

I think if Wes played consistently behind the same quality of defence and midfield screening he is a better all round keeper than McGregor.

Better at crosses, with the ball at his feet and distribution, very good shot stopper (the only area where I think AMcG shades it), better temperament and still a couple of years from when goalkeepers typically peak.

I genuinely feel sorry for Wes given the defensive shambles he’s had to play behind coupled with a complete lack of defensive screening. There was a statistic from a couple of years ago that proved that he had faced the more shots from distance than any other keeper in the league.

The above is unprecedented in domestic terms for a Rangers goalkeeper and on that basis I think Wes has been harshly judged. I really hope his loyalty, professionalism, dedication and temperament are rewarded in the coming season.

mark hateley

Number 2s don't go for big money usually.

Look when we got the mullet. One of the best piece of business we had that century until the following season.

Buffalo

I think if Wes played consistently behind the same quality of defence and midfield screening he is a better all round keeper than McGregor.

Better at crosses, with the ball at his feet and distribution, very good shot stopper (the only area where I think AMcG shades it), better temperament and still a couple of years from when goalkeepers typically peak.

I genuinely feel sorry for Wes given the defensive shambles he’s had to play behind coupled with a complete lack of defensive screening. There was a statistic from a couple of years ago that proved that he had faced the more shots from distance than any other keeper in the league.

The above is unprecedented in domestic terms for a Rangers goalkeeper and on that basis I think Wes has been harshly judged. I really hope his loyalty, professionalism, dedication and temperament are rewarded in the coming season.
I personally don't agree, however I spoke to two pros, one played with both and he was adamant Fod was a better keeper technically, however his concentration and head can go which is where Mcgregor tops him.

I mind posting about it at the time and the consensus was he wasn't, I think its tight but mentality wise McGregor has the edge

Smkz23

We should be looking at £2-2.5m minimum

He is a very good goalkeeper and would be a steal at that price if in championship .

If expected he leaves , Rangers hopefully value him properly especially with the market down there
If we could get £2-2.5m he’d have been sold last summer

Southpaws

I personally don't agree, however I spoke to two pros, one played with both and he was adamant Fod was a better keeper technically, however his concentration and head can go which is where Mcgregor tops him.

I mind posting about it at the time and the consensus was he wasn't, I think its tight but mentality wise McGregor has the edge
AMcG has a poor temperament and next season more than any other we need a group of players who don’t give over zealous officials the opportunity to send them off or hit them with self inflicted bans.

It doesn’t surprise me that fellow pros recognise Wes’s technical edge on AMcG as for his concentration I am sure it is being addressed.

TQ3

He is actually the number one keeper, as McGregor is suspended. So to prize him away shouldn’t be cheap, as we would be weakening ourselves before the season kicked off.

Business_Bear

He's very highly rated by Gerrard and Stewart.

They don't think there's much between him and McGregor, but realise he's too good for reserve football.

He's easily English Championship class, possibly higher.

Certainly better than any of the keepers I saw in the English play offs.

The 2 keepers at Elland Rd are murder.
Farrell and Casilla are both brutal, Leeds could do worse than go for Wes!

Kirky loyalist

We should be looking at £2-2.5m minimum

He is a very good goalkeeper and would be a steal at that price if in championship .

If expected he leaves , Rangers hopefully value him properly especially with the market down there
Bit ambitious as he isn’t very good

Buffalo

AMcG has a poor temperament and next season more than any other we need a group of players who don’t give over zealous officials the opportunity to send them off or hit them with self inflicted bans.

It doesn’t surprise me that fellow pros recognise Wes’s technical edge on AMcG as for his concentration I am sure it is being addressed.
I think it is very tight.

The one thing I noticed after hearing that was McGregor is always moving, watches everything, constantly moving and never seems distracted.

Few weeks later Fod was in for a cup game and it was polar opposite, even something as daft as standing at the post drinking out his bottle while the ball is up the other end.

I wouldn't however, swap Allan McGregor for Fod, my opinion, I just wouldn't.

Blue Skies At Night

I'm another that would like to see him given an extension. McGregor surely won't be here for much longer & I think he's got better over the years he's been with us.

His attitude at being bumped down the rankings has been impeccable though & would wish him well if he did move on.

Marstonbear

Big Wes fan, great attitude, never a word of complaint and reliable when called on. Also first to get stuck in during the after match rammy at Parkhead

ScottXC

I like Wes and wouldn't be against loaning him out this season for 1st team football with a new 2 year deal to come back and replace McGregor if he retires after this coming season. Play McCrorie in the cups this season then loan McCrorie out next season when Wes is back.

Knightswoodbear

They don't think there's much between him and McGregor, but realise he's too good for reserve football.

I've never understood the disdain for Fod, he's a top keeper and will only improve taking into account he's only 27 or so. He could feel aggrieved to have lost his place to McGregor, who although is an excellent keeper is coming to the end of his career and has had more than one brain fart last season.

MearnsUnionist

I've never understood the disdain for Fod, he's a top keeper and will only improve taking into account he's only 27 or so. He could feel aggrieved to have lost his place to McGregor, who although is an excellent keeper is coming to the end of his career and has had more than one brain fart last season.

McGregor has overall had an excellent season and was rightly our number one, however had Wes made the blunders that McGregor made against Killie and the LC Semi, not to mention the ridiculous red card, this place would've erupted.

Like I said, McGregor is suffering more and more with back spasms and in an ideal world, Wes would be a perfect replacement for our magnificent keeper.

Last edited:

BrooklynBlue

It'll be an interesting start to the season. They are plenty of pre-season games + Europe to give both keepers a run out. But Wes starts the first League game due to AM's suspension.

Does Wes keep the jersey if all goes well? If we sell him, who takes his place?

Shepchenko83

he should be going for that kind of value but I feel with him being our No.2 and playing in Scotland, it would be very ambitious to expect that kind of price

Dotty_84

Loan with a buy out offer is to me the best way to get the most money from him, I can't see it happening, around 500k is what I see him going for, very good value for money.

standardbarger

This may seem daft to some but I think we should keep him, keepers tend to get better as they get older and he would be a ready made replacement for McGregor and probably has learned a fair bit training along side him.

Goalkeeper is a risky position we have generally been lucky with, Fod knows what is expected and knows the club.
He said he is not a reserve keeper so he will not stay with us

WATPWATP

keep him,don't sell. yeah he's 2nd choice right now but shagger getting on and won't play every game anyway next season. then when he does go fod will make itit his. he can't expect to play ahead of shagger,no chance mate.

Dempster

Is anyone actually showing an interest ?

We seem to struggle to move players on at times unless it’s a case of let them go early or we pay people off

If Wes is happy I’d keep him he’s very good back up

nasalsinatra

Are we confident McGregor will perform to the same standard as last season. Age becomes an issue. And his temperament is every bit as bad as Morelos. If Foderingham goes who replaces McGregor when his contract ends next year? We need to consider the longer term options.

PMB1872

I have to disagree with their rating. McGregor is clearly the better keeper. Anger management issues are a different story though.

whitbybear45

I would keep Wes and play him in tandem with shagger. Wes is too good a keeper to keep as a reserve for ever. I would give him maybe 2 games to McGregor's 3 and see how they both get on

shawlandsbear

Can’t believe what I’m reading!!
Wes isn’t good enough to be rangers number one goalie.
He’s ok to fill the role he did last season which is the odd cup game or filling in when there’s an injury.
He’s a reserve and nothing more,macgregor is ten times the goalkeeper he’ll ever be

AzorIbrox

He's a very good goalie and been a good servant to Rangers, I was surprised no one came in for him last summer.

We'll be lucky to get £1m for him though unfortunately. Contract running down and he's our back up goalie.

As someone said, would be a bargain for a Championship team.

MearnsUnionist

Can’t believe what I’m reading!!
Wes isn’t good enough to be rangers number one goalie.
He’s ok to fill the role he did last season which is the odd cup game or filling in when there’s an injury.
He’s a reserve and nothing more,macgregor is ten times the goalkeeper he’ll ever be

McGregor's the better keeper, no question, but Wes is a cracking keeper.

McGregor is 38 this season, is getting more and more trouble with his back and won't go on forever mate.

Other than McGregor, Wes will be the best keeper in the country.

Stanley Yelnats

I think we should try to hold onto Wes.

Wes is only 28 which is still relatively young for a goalkeeper.

I think once McGregor retires Wes would be more than suitable to step in and reclaim our No.1 jersey. I highly rate him.

What about offering him an extension in the view of him being our No.1 in a season or two once McGregor moves on. We could also send him out on loan if he’s itching to play and then he can come back and slot right in.

He is the 2nd best goalie in Scotland after Allan.

shawlandsbear

McGregor's the better keeper, no question, but Wes is a cracking keeper.

McGregor is 38 this season, is getting more and more trouble with his back and won't go on forever mate.

Other than McGregor, Wes will be the best keeper in the country.
Don’t and never have rated foderingham,I think he’s pretty pish and folk saying he’s a £5 million pound goalie are off they’re heids!!!

Carson’s Army

Always likes wes. Great shot stopper. Gets better with experience. Would like to see him stay but can understand his frustration at not playing.
Will forever be remembered for his pen saves in semi at hampden

Spyro

Agree OP, he's a good young goalkeeper who has managed to prove his worth with us. He should command a decent fee, even if he wants to leave to be first choice.

Hopefully the days of letting our players go for buttons are in the past.

andrewmont1

Are we confident McGregor will perform to the same standard as last season. Age becomes an issue. And his temperament is every bit as bad as Morelos. If Foderingham goes who replaces McGregor when his contract ends next year? We need to consider the longer term options.
A concern is that refs have now given him red cards. Being honest he could have picked up plenty more over the years. He could be next seasons Morelos in this respect.

hms

Foderingham is the 2nd / 3rd best keeper in the league. His performance in the OF game showed that, only McGregor and possibly Lewis at the sheep are better than him.