Wes Foderingham - Strange move.

L&D RSC

Just been watching the Sheff Utd game and seen that Wes isn't even sub goalie for them just now.

I know it's the EPL, but for a guy who said he needed to go and get games at his age, it really seemed like a strange move at the time, and it has panned out that way.

If he wanted to play regularly, he should have been looking at the Championship down there.

You would think after being second choice for the last few years he would want to go somewhere to start

I wish Wes the very best of British. He was an ok keeper for the stage we were at.

However, both the keepers now in our first team squad are significantly better.

Just been watching the Sheff Utd game and seen that Wes isn't even sub goalie for them just now.

I know it's the EPL, but for a guy who said he needed to go and get games at his age, it really seemed like a strange move at the time, and it has panned out that way.

If he wanted to play regularly, he should have been looking at the Championship down there.

Couple of things:

- Injured at the moment
- He’s appeared in most of their pre season games and played a full 90 in the EFL cup
- on the bench for every PL game in September before getting injured

Last edited:
Wes would be the third best goalkeeper in Scotland if he was still with us. I liked him and wish him well.

Andy Goram would of struggled with Rob Kiernan, Lee Hodgson etc in front of him. He was never going to play in front of McGregor however I would of liked to have seen Wes with this current defence in front of him. I think the people that don't rate him would be see that he is a very decent keeper.

Yep. He always stepped up to the plate.

Andy Goram would of struggled with Rob Kiernan, Lee Hodgson etc in front of him. He was never going to play in front of McGregor however I would of liked to have seen Wes with this current defence in front of him. I think the people that don't rate him would be see that he is a very decent keeper.
Yeah I think that’s a very fair point mate

Whenever he played under Gerrard he always looked much safer than he ever looked playing under Mark Warburton.
I think you have hit the nail superbly on its head.
Good luck to Wes he is a good lad.

A proper keeper is worth a number of points over the course of a season. Wes, whilst decent enough, was never a game changer unfortunately. Wish him well though.

I wish Wes all the best for the rest of his career but he was never of the standard a Rangers goalkeeper should be.

McGregor is on another planet to him and McLaughlin is also better.

Average keeper. Never good enough for Rangers in his life.
Never even good enough for English championship.
He won a watch

He was a decent keeper, but regardless of players in front of him you also wouldn’t see Goram beaten from distance with such regularity

He said Gerrard more or less told him
He didn’t really like him and thought he was a bit of a spice boy

Wes was a decent keeper for us and played his part in getting us back to the premier league. We’ve upgraded significantly though with 2 international class keepers.

He was a decent keeper, but regardless of players in front of him you also wouldn’t see Goram beaten from distance with such regularity
I agree this was Wes' weak point but I am not comparing Wes to Goram. Goram is the best Rangers goalkeeper of all time. However Wes played behind the worst Rangers defence I have ever seen which I think obscures people's opinion of him. That is the main point I'm making.

Honest keeper who's going after the pay day.
If he wanted game time he should have gone to the Championship which is his level tbh.

It’s a short career as a footballer. Wes is perfectly entitled to try and make as much money as he can in that time.

A good guy who always speaks well of the club. He’ll always be welcome back in the stands at Ibrox

Didn’t the gaffer question his desire for to fight for his place? Seems like he was correct. Wes took the easy money at Sheffield Utd knowing he’d never get a game.

I do wish him well and thought he was quite a decent keeper until Allan McGregor reminded me what a decent keeper looks like. I actually think he is the best player in the squad in his favoured position.

Back