Wes on Open Goal

Apparently quite critical of Gerrard and the club.

Which is a shame as he left with his head high.

More than happy to hold my hands up and apologise if this post meant undeserved criticism of the player. I read an article that contained these snippets, are they unfair and out of context?

Wes Foderingham claims Rangers priced him out of a move and boss Steven Gerrard wouldn’t let him train with the first team squad.
Speaking to Open Goal, he said: “When McGregor came in it was always the club’s intention to sell me that summer.
“I had a meeting with the manager and he said I wasn’t his type of person which I found strange.
“He didn’t go into great depth but he questioned my willingness to fight for a position, but I don’t think I showed I wasn’t willing to fight for my place.
“At this point I wasn’t even training with the team. I trained with the goalies but when we went into the main session I had to stay over - I couldn’t believe it.
“I thought I was leaving that summer but I spoke to my agent and he said the club wanted X amount for me but no clubs were biting at that amount.
“The club said I wasn’t going on loan, they wanted that figure so I was priced out of a move at that point.
“As time goes on your price drops but it wasn’t a realistic figure for me to get out at that point.”

Wes is a good keeper. He done well for us and will I’m sure go on to do well elsewhere. Folk need to take a wee break if they’re giving him any grief after that interview.

Was a good interview, wasn’t critical of club at all. Said we asked for a unrealistic fee for him which is his opinion.

Swindon stories were funny along with few Rangers ones. Wasn’t Rangers class between the sticks but came across like a good guy, wish him the best.

I quite enjoyed it. Thought he came over quite well. The story about Caixinha’s goalie coach not having any gloves was a belter.

Can see why Gerrard probably wanted him to go because he seemed to brush off losing games as not that big a deal. Not the winner mentality Gerrard is after. But he served us well under previous managers and I wish him all the best.

Just watched the hour on Rangers, he’s complimentary of the club bar when we tried to flog him after getting McGregor in.

Personally think he was good servant for us for where we once were. McGregor was obviously a class or two above.

In an unsurprising turn of events the Daily Record have turned this into a non story of Wes blasting Rangers and Gerrard. Another reason to remember what they say.

Don't Buy It, Don't Click It, Don't Share It.
And don't mention them !

He’s a decent keeper, never a Rangers no.1 if we want to challenge for the title though, far too suspect from distance and his record against the filth was brutal.

We got humped a few times with him in goals in old firm games but he kept the score down in plenty of games. We weren't getting hammered cause he was a poor keeper, it was because the outfield players weren't up to it barring one or two exceptions.

McGregor coming in and trying to sell your back up keeper with 2 years left on his deal to maximize valuation, is good business. If the shoe was on the other foot and an EPL side were sniffing about for a back up he'd be begging to get shifted! but within his rights to dig his heels in and sit on his contract.
Far better than Simonsen, Lee Robinson and Cammy Bell...at his peak he is NOWHERE near McGregor who's at the end of his career says it all for me.

We got humped a few times with him in goals in old firm games but he kept the score down in plenty of games. We weren't getting hammered cause he was a poor keeper, it was because the outfield players weren't up to it barring one or two exceptions.

He was poor against them and at fault for a number of goals, he never inspired confidence.

will be a decent keeper at a club with less pressure, probably end up in the Championship somewhere I reckon

not slagging him off with that, just think he'd be better where mistakes might not get magnified as much

I'll be surprised if anyone is critical of Foderingham. Seems like a decent guy and when he came in he was a huge improvement on what we had previously, certainly did us a turn over the years for very little outlay.

I think he's a good keeper but unfortunately just a bit short of the quality we need. Not helped by the defence playing in front of them – he must have had sleepless nights thinking about them.

Guys, unless you listen to the interview don't comment slandering him.

Wes was decent for us and always comes across well as a person. He only said the club tried to sell him when McGregor first came in and failed to.

I think that's a failing for the club more than anything because he should've been easy to market given his age and experience. I think Ross Wilson will do much better business for us going forward in terms of getting a return on people.

Aside from that his comments on Warbs, Pedro and Murty are all fair. The recruitment going up to the Premiership was all wrong for how we'd been playing.

Post of the day for me.

It’ll be all over the papers, his comments edited and out of context, and it’ll be headlines as a negative
Unfortunately with some of the FF faithful being used as quotes to say how all fans are glad to be shot and how we all thought he was hopeless......

Wish some on here would get a grip, he served us at a time where he was exactly what we needed. He was a step up from cammy bell, unfortunately for him, Allan McGregor was just that bit better. Personally I wish he was still at the club, however he goes with my best wishes and hopefully he cements a place as a No1 at a good club

I like Wes, was solid enough for us considering the shite that was playing in front of him, and who can forgot him wiping out Lustig during the Halliday/Brown rammy

Just listened to the Rangers bit and initial posts on this thread are talking nonsense unsurprisingly. He isn’t critical of the club apart from them pricing him out a move the summer Shagger came back and then says at that point Gerrard told him ‘you aren’t my type of person’. I took from that Gerrard felt he was happy playing second fiddle to McGregor but it’s clear that wasn’t Wes’ attitude. Overall he’s very complementary about the club and fans.

He was a perfect #2 goalie for us but probably too good to be a back up as at 29 he’ll want to go and play now.

Don’t mind Wes, sad to see him leave but wish him nothing but the best in the future. He deserves to be no1 at a decent club

Came across well on that I thought, seems like a smart guy who will look back fondly on his time here and knows he won’t play for a bigger side.

No issues with anything he said

Nothing against the guy but at the end of the day he wasn’t very good. I have never known a Rangers keeper to let in so many goals from outside the box. His concentration levels were obviously not up to much

i said for years Wes is 99.9% a very good keeper who excels in no area of his game ...... i also said we'd never win a league title with wes as a no1 ....... didn't win one either with Wes as a no2

I liked Wes and thought he was a capable keeper. Not sure if he was quite Rangers class but he wasn't far off. Will give him the benefit of listening to what he has to say before making any judgement. Thanks for heads up to skip to second hour.

Just finished listening.
Unsurprisingly the Record have took out 30 seconds of around an hour dedicated to his time at Rangers in an effort to put a negative spin. Wes speaks very highly of the club and the fans and says it’s been the best time of his career. He also speaks very well of McGregor and says they have a good relationship off the pitch.

He says the Gerrard made it clear he wasn’t the his type of player and he was sent to train with the reserves after SG arrived. No other club would meet our asking price and we were unwilling to let him leave on loan. I wouldn’t blame him for being pissed off About that, but he seems very philosophical about it all and is without a hint of bitterness.

The pre-Rangers section of the interview is also well
Worth listening for Wes’s run-ins with that dickhead DiCanio at Swindon.

Overall it’s reinforced my opinion that Wes is one of the good guys who will always deserve to be welcomed back at Ibrox as a supporter.

Performances aside, the day he and a host of others cowered in a corner of that restaurant Caffe Parma when some little mentally challenged arse with a camera was winding them up was the day I lost all faith in them. No fight, no back bone, no Ranger!

I don’t think he said anything bad, he spoke about us with some fondness. I want to know more about how scary Gerrard when he loses his head tho!

A great reaction keeper but never seen a worse Rangers Keeper for losing goals from distance he couldn’t seem to get that part of his game fixed and it was his biggest flaw.

Done a fine job for the money spent but McGregor is still miles ahead of him ability wise anyone saying different is at it.

Wes is like a lot of the old players done a good job but ultimately we are moving into another level re quality and he doesn’t have it.

So my old man listened to it there and said there’s only one bit he’s critical of the club and it’s because we tried and failed to sell him when McGregor came back?

It’s hilarious the amount of folk who think Wes was in goals in the 5-0 gubbing by Celtic..
He was for the 1-5 at Ibrox , hopeless that day

Thought Wes was an OK keeper. Decent shot stopper but beaten too easily with long range shots. If SG didn’t think he was quite good enough he was probably right.

Interesting take on Barton, who he makes sound like a prick.

Especially the bit when he said he could turn on someone in mid conversation. Heard the Wallace story a few times but didn't realise how bad he got tore into him especially as the guy was being marked by Barton!!

Whilst he wasn't being overly critical or harsh you can tell he was raging. I do think it is a bit of sour grapes as he made an emphasis on that he wasn't Gerrard's type of "PERSON". From the video, he maybe isnt Gerrard type of person as he isn't a serious person, solely focused on winning/determined/sober type i.e. like Gerrard himself and maybe liked to joke around too much, not taking everything seriously. This is maybe why Gerrard love's Ryan Jack so much as he cares and takes things very seriously and gives his absolute all. Weird about him not training as surely we would have heard stories about this?

Compare and contrast this thread when it was announced he was leaving. Full of good wishes and now this. It’s almost as if some read the first few posts and then they are influenced to go with that view as well.

Bi-Polar RSC

Back