Wes on Open Goal

A serious lack of decent scouting down South if Wes was available for a knock down fee last summer. He would do a good job for most Championship Clubs.
Frustrating as hell that we never get a fee for these guys.

not the best keeper we've had
far from the worst, far, far ,far

not as good as McGregor
but better discipline - Greegs has let us down in that respect
that said its difficult to judge as the current defence is massively improved from the days of Martin etc

hope he does well
clearly loved being a ranger

My take from the interview is he never really fancied Rangers, loved the Championship when it was easy but never really up for the fight of a first place goalie (and Gerrard sussed it out).

Wes said himself when leaving Swindon he wanted to go to a team he'd be number one at and didn't want to fight.

Was a decent keeper but had some howlers. I'll never forget the 2-3 game against that mob at Ibrox when he cam charging off his line flapping about and got lobbed right on half time, that fucked us thay day and also started the "wits the goalie dain" shit.

Sometimes things happen in football that are neither the fault of the player nor the management. Wes’ situation is one of them. He was a decent enough keeper and served us well on The Journey. He never had any real competition for the jersey until Shagger came back, and once he did he Wes clearly had to drop down to back up. You can debate whether Signing Shagger was necessary, but Gerrard thought it was and that’s that. He’s right about the Killie game, he didn’t deserved dropped, but some managers will always go with who they see as their first choice regardless of form. I think we’ve seen that with Gerrard and Katic at times as well.

Wes served us well during a difficult period in our history so I wish him every success going forward

Thought it was a good listen and he doesnt really say much bad about Rangers in it. Obviously not happy with what Gerrard said to him but he was never going to be number 1 ahead of Mcgregor. He wont play for a bigger club when he moves down south thats for sure.

Never saves anything that difficult.

Gives the mundane stops a hollywood look

Frequently fails to save the mundane and makes a fool of himself. No I’m not wishing to go get the Ayr Inverness Celtic Hibs videos out.

Thankfully that was better than Steve Simonsen Cammy Bell and Lee Robinson.

Will never play in any of Englands top 2 leagues unless Mark Warburton helps him out.

Jack Alnwick and Matt Gilks, did play at that level and theres clear reasons why.

Never saves anything that difficult.

Gives the mundane stops a hollywood look

Frequently fails to save the mundane and makes a fool of himself. No I’m not wishing to go get the Ayr Inverness Celtic Hibs videos out.

Thankfully that was better than Steve Simonsen Cammy Bell and Lee Robinson.

Will never play in any of Englands top 2 leagues unless Mark Warburton helps him out.

Jack Alnwick and Matt Gilks, did play at that level and theres clear reasons why.
Capable of Championship IMO.

Didn't think he said anything too bad, was pretty positive overall but obviously a bit bitter re: Gerrard. Felt it rushed over all that at the end pretty quickly though so didn't get into much detail.

I really like Wes.

Didn’t think he said anything really untoward there.

Been a good servant. He’ll get a decent club next season.

He Definitely rehearsed some of the stories He told in the interview. Didn’t find any of his stories funny at all especially the Di Canio ones.

Decent keeper but not overly fussed that he’s gone.

All the best Fod.

Didn't think he said anything too bad, was pretty positive overall but obviously a bit bitter re: Gerrard. Felt it rushed over all that at the end pretty quickly though so didn't get into much detail.

don't think its correct to diss a club you've just left same in regards to the manager as it sends the wrong signals plus given who our current manager is , easy to see Pedro was an easy target for him though but i feel if the club knew Mcgregor was coming in a deals a deal........ if rangers wanted Wes out its a dereliction of someone's duty that that never happened

i enjoyed the interview, he came across well and spoke well of our club, Gerrard didn't see him in his mould, it happens, I wish the guy nothing but the best

Unfairly dropped a few times after covering for McGregors petulant behaviour - easily capable of being Rangers number 1 - wish him all the best in his next venture.

And I'll wager you believe the earth is flat.

The fact we signed a 35/36 y/o as first choice goalkeeper tells you all you need to know.

Incidentally, McGregor's performances these last two seasons has kept his manager and assistant far from the saddened crowd.

Was a decent interview. Seems like a decent chap.

I always thought he was a capable keeper. A bit suss from long shots (tbh, Shagger can be as well) but over the piece he did well. Think we could have made money on him by selling him when Mcgregor came in mind. Far too good to be a number 2 but not in Mcgregor's league.

Hope he goes on and gets himself a high end Championship club where he plays regularly.

Met him the day after that defeat at the piggery after we came up. He was more than happy for a chat and decent about it.

Dont think he was good enough when the levels required needed raised, but no hate towards him. Wish him best of luck.

Very good with the ball at his feet and might have been more useful than McGregor for the games we have most of the ball as that is a real weakness of McGregor a game. One of the few games Wes played was away to Ross county where we destroyed them in around 40 minutes with Wes being a huge part of that despite not having a Dave to make.

Mcgregor though is a proper match winner and goalkeeper isn’t a position you should rotate so it makes sense he hasn’t played. Goes with well wishes regardless.

His wages were not likely massive and i would say he covered the outlay.
Mentality wise, mcgreors and goram types are needed.

Back