Wes on Open Goal

Clearly the club were only willing to sell at a price over his true valuation, as we were happy to keep him as a solid back-up who wouldn’t let us down when called upon. Unless we got an offer we couldn’t refuse (the value we marketed him at), it would have been pointless and risky selling him for peanuts and replacing him with someone less able if our first choice targets weren’t available at that time.

Anyway, I wish him all the best.

He's correct. Gerrard has his favourites.
Even after Shagger made an absolute cock of himself and got sent off meaning he would serve a two match ban including the match against Celtic. We'd never put a foot wrong yet still got dropped for Shagger to return in goals.
He never got dropped.
He was injured against Kilmarnock.
Andy Firth was the keeper who ended the season.

Performances aside, the day he and a host of others cowered in a corner of that restaurant Caffe Parma when some little mentally challenged arse with a camera was winding them up was the day I lost all faith in them. No fight, no back bone, no Ranger!
Wtf do you want him to do?

The manager had Wes on the bench for nearly two years. Of course that is going to piss a player off. Wes is a good keeper, I can certainly see him moving to a Championship team in England - who knows after that? He conducted himself well at Rangers; he could have forced the issue by requesting a transfer, or fed stories to the press. He did neither.

But I don't think he has that edge required to be a Rangers keeper in a title-winning side. Greegs is not immune to throwing one in at times but he is ten years older (nearly) than Wes and still pulls-off mental saves that Wes just wouldn't make.

Good luck to the lad, he was a massive upgrade for us at the time and hopefully he will go and be first choice at a good club now.

Wes should have seen more game time - by rotating squad better - Who knows he might have stayed on if so. This would have kept both keepers fresh, training hard, competing and not a massive drop off. I don’t think the modern player can do Thursday - Sunday easily.

My only memories of Wes are shipping a torrent of goals against the filth. Regardless of the defence a Rangers goalkeeper should give a better account of himself. I won’t miss him.

edit: Still, he was a Ranger in difficult times so wish him all the best.
That's your only memories?

I have no idea who or what the f uck "Ibrox noise" is, but read this shite from "our own".

Link to the actual article doesn't seem to be working.

It's the 4th story down. Fucking eejit, whoever wrote it.

Ibrox Noise is a lot of shite. It comes up reccomended on my phone all the time but the times I have read it, I hate the twat behind it.

What’s more disappointing is the Bears online and on here who were only too eager to fall for the media’s shite before even listening to the interview - and there was loads of them.

So hammerings are stuck in your mind more than 2016 semi final. As I’ve said put McGregor in goals we’d have still shipped the same amount of goals the whole team was a mess
The semi final was a terrific day no question, absolutely monumental however whenever I think of Wes in goal for Rangers “he was brilliant in the semi and the 1-1 game” is quickly followed by
“think about all the doings we got.”

You’re quite right to point out that the whole team
Was a mess as it was. Perhaps my opinion and others are skewed by the dire straits of the time.

Thankfully it’s in the past, the team is stronger, continually refreshed and performing like a Rangers team again. Once concistency clicks that’s it for Rangers and the bad memories will drown in the clubs new successes.

Maybe Wes should have been retained as a No2 for the next season or so with a view to eventually becoming No1. A cup run or two like Alexander used to get measuring his progress.
Undeniably as it stands there is currently no better candidate to be No2 at the club than Wes.

In my opinion, I personally don’t see Wes as the No1 for the club going forward nor do I know who should be post McGregor. As always, happy to be proven wrong for the benefit of Rangers.

At least stand up line a man and face the person trying to intimidate him. Not just Jim btw, they all say there hiding their faces. Regardless of who you are, you should at least have the balls to stand up and face someone
They’re professional footballers. Abuse rightly or wrongly comes there way they can’t square go some bam in a cafe giving them abuse haha.

You’re saying they should stand up face them etc. Do you not think players are briefed for these things happening? Your holding that against him which is weird
Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'd rather stand up and tell someone to leave as they're making an arse of themselves. These are the same players we applaud when they put up a fight in the pitch, when it kicks off we want them in about it, but hey they'll have been briefed I suppose

Best of luck to him.

Think he'll do well to nail down a regular spot wherever he goes. The market of goalkeepers is very saturated. Lots of good young ones coming through particularly down south. Only the super rich clubs are spending significant fees on that position.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'd rather stand up and tell someone to leave as they're making an arse of themselves. These are the same players we applaud when they put up a fight in the pitch, when it kicks off we want them in about it, but hey they'll have been briefed I suppose

If one video ever went viral of a Rangers player confronting a Celtic fan, more would follow.

Walking away isn't a sign of weakness.

If you look at the guys warburton brought in for that championship season, id agree that some didnt manage to meet the level of development to stay a rangers player, but attitude wise you cant fault them, and the overall outlay was modest.
Tav
Wes
Waghorn
Kiernan
Wilson

Wes makes a comment about it in the video, that the recruitment the first year in the SPL was all wrong from a personality and playing point of view, and i 100% agree with him. I think he has been a good rangers player, not a great, but certainly no shame to the career hes had with us. I wish him all the best.

What a stupid comment. The players can't got arguing with the public. So Wes stands up, tells the guy where to go, then what? What if the guy then gets even more abuses, maybe even physical, then what? Do you think it is a good look for Rangers players to be arguing and fighting every person who abuses them? Or do you think the club will have said look just stay out of trouble and try ignore the abusers?

The players would never be out of the media for off field issues, you would then me moaning about them on here for not being professional enough.

My abiding memory of Wes is the same as it was for every player who played in that
e semi-final four years ago, a good one. We didn't have a good enough squad to be playing as consistently as a Rangers squad would normally, but those players gave their best, and Wes was a good player overall in his time here. Thank you, Wes; all the best for the future.

What a stupid comment. The players can't got arguing with the public. So Wes stands up, tells the guy where to go, then what? What if the guy then gets even more abuses, maybe even physical, then what? Do you think it is a good look for Rangers players to be arguing and fighting every person who abuses them? Or do you think the club will have said look just stay out of trouble and try ignore the abusers?

The players would never be out of the media for off field issues, you would then me moaning about them on here for not being professional enough.
Stupid? Standing up for yourself is stupid? Wow! Irony of ironies.
The player stands up, tells the guy to stop being silly, if he persists you ask management to remove him from your table. And you think that difficult?
Rangers will tell players that they represent Rangers and to behave. I'm asking our players the same. Where in my original statement have I advised him to 'square go' as someone put it? Where am I advising them to get themselves in the paper?

I'd say that your reply is stupid. I want proper men playing for Rangers. Winners. That means having the character to handle most situations, especially where some wee Ned starts mouthing off.

If you look at the guys warburton brought in for that championship season, id agree that some didnt manage to meet the level of development to stay a Rangers player, but attitude wise you cant fault them, and the overall outlay was modest.
Tav
Wes
Waghorn
Kiernan
Wilson

Wes makes a comment about it in the video, that the recruitment the first year in the SPL was all wrong from a personality and playing point of view, and i 100% agree with him. I think he has been a good Rangers player, not a great, but certainly no shame to the career hes had with us. I wish him all the best.
Easy to say it's all wrong without a context. Was it possible, without the benefit of hindsight, to see what other options we had to do it radically better?

Apologies if I was ambiguous, Barney but in spite of that perhaps one or two others will know the message, which I was trying to get over.
I don't agree with you and many others about the weakest part of his game; he was more vulnerable at a cross ball than anything else.

At least stand up line a man and face the person trying to intimidate him. Not just Jim btw, they all say there hiding their faces. Regardless of who you are, you should at least have the balls to stand up and face someone
Why give them attention? If they stood up to them they would’ve been laughed at

Easy to say it's all wrong without a context. Was it possible, without the benefit of hindsight, to see what other options we had to do it radically better?
No i agree, what he brought in was probably not effective for our playing style, but he was bringing in what he could with what he had. I think we all agree that Warburton never got the budget Caixinha or Gerrard have enjoyed.

Its not Wes's fault as he was a decent keeper for us but my memory of him unfortunately will be that damn 2016 sc final that broke me in so many ways. I wish him the best, on another note good hearing in that video that at least Pedro sussed out O'Halloran early, easily my least favorite Ranger ever

Hardly critical of us. Good servant and wish him well in the future.

It's not as if he sat back and refused moves to take a wage from us. We clearly valued him too high.

Didn’t feel he was critical of the club other than that he was priced out of a move. Very complimentary about the club and fans and said it was the best 5 years of his career. Wish the big man well in his next journey.

I watched the whole thing last night and thought it was a good laugh at times especially his impressions of di canio and Pedro, I like Wes but just not what we need to win the league simple as that, doesn’t surprise me either warburton not practicing defensive drills lol. I’ve never been a fan of the open goal podcasts etc but the last two days I’ve watched the foderingham one and the McCoist one and both I enjoyed only because they were to do with rangers etc.

Back