West Ham had interest in Rangers’ Hagi, according to club insider

Infin1ty

West Ham were interested in a move for on-loan Rangers attacker Ianis Hagi, according to club insider ExWHUEmployee.

Hagi burst onto the scene on Thursday evening, scoring two goals for Rangers to lead them to a 3-2 comeback win in the UEFA Europa League against Braga.

The Romanian joined Rangers on loan in January from Belgian side Genk, and has already scored 3 goals in 6 appearances since joining the Scottish side.

Son of legendary forward Gheorghe Hagi, the midfielder could join Rangers permanently in the summer, with Steven Gerrard’s side having an option to buy the player on a permanent deal.

However, ExWHUEmployee revealed that Hagi was previously a target for West Ham.

Read West Ham’s Verdict

Hagi’s performance on Thursday night will certainly raise a few eyebrows, with the Romanian being key in a superb comeback from Gerrard’s side.

Speaking to The Athletic, the player’s father revealed that he believes the move to Rangers is ideal for his son, and that he should thrive at Ibrox.

West Ham were potentially interested in a deal for the attacker, but as said by ExWHUEmployee, the club’s recruitment is in a big mess, especially with the reports that David Moyes was forced to watch highlights on YouTube of transfer targets.

------------------------------

Personally I doubt that Hagi would want to move from Rangers to West Ham but IF there will be bigger Premier League or Spanish / Italian clubs interested and able to persuade Hagi this summer things might change (remember that Hagi could be part of the Tokyo olympics Romania national side and Romania still has chances to get to EURO 2020 so he could turn even more eyes towards him this summer).

Last edited:
We are in the driving seat having a formal agreement and presumably a contract with his club. The only way we don’t get him if we want him is if he decides not to join. Therefore, with Gerrard as manager and all of the positives we have to sell us, we need to ensure the guy loves it at the club and wants to stay. It looks like he is already well down that path.

option to buy seems to be €5m and I'd suggest Hagi's value has probably increased since Thursday night as Europe would have seen that comeback and the part he played in it

No chance, shambles of a club and he doesn't seem the type interested in taking big money to continually fight relegation.

The boy is a tremendous talent, a couple of years here and he'll be off to far better than West Ham.

West Ham were interested in a move for on-loan Rangers attacker Ianis Hagi, according to club insider ExWHUEmployee.

Hagi burst onto the scene on Thursday evening, scoring two goals for Rangers to lead them to a 3-2 comeback win in the UEFA Europa League against Braga.

The Romanian joined Rangers on loan in January from Belgian side Genk, and has already scored 3 goals in 6 appearances since joining the Scottish side.

Son of legendary forward Gheorghe Hagi, the midfielder could join Rangers permanently in the summer, with Steven Gerrard’s side having an option to buy the player on a permanent deal.

However, ExWHUEmployee revealed that Hagi was previously a target for West Ham.

Read West Ham’s Verdict

Hagi’s performance on Thursday night will certainly raise a few eyebrows, with the Romanian being key in a superb comeback from Gerrard’s side.

Speaking to The Athletic, the player’s father revealed that he believes the move to Rangers is ideal for his son, and that he should thrive at Ibrox.

West Ham were potentially interested in a deal for the attacker, but as said by ExWHUEmployee, the club’s recruitment is in a big mess, especially with the reports that David Moyes was forced to watch highlights on YouTube of transfer targets.

------------------------------

Personally I doubt that Hagi would want to move from Rangers to West Ham but IF there will be bigger Premier League or Spanish / Italian clubs interested things might change.
Do we have an option to buy ?

Thinking logically, it's not inconceivable that there might be a quick buck to be made on him.

We've agreed a price but someone wants him for more so they effectively buy that option out by buying him straight from us.

I'd rather he signed a five year deal though

Not that I would like to see it happen but there will be interest in Hagi from the EPL for next season.

Is it possible that we both buy and sell him in the same close season?

Purely hypothetical before anyone starts. :)

if Romania get to the Euros which is plausible, it would be interesting to see how he plays as I'd expect him to be part of the squad

have to beat Iceland and then Bulgaria or Hungary to make it

Personally I doubt that Hagi would want to move from Rangers to West Ham but IF there will be bigger Premier League or Spanish / Italian clubs interested and able to persuade Hagi this summer things might change (remember that Hagi could be part of the Tokyo olympics Romania national side and Romania still has chances to get to EURO 2020 so he could turn even more eyes towards him this summer).

Whilst we have an option to buy Hagi the player has to want to sign a perm deal with us

Yes he’s enjoying his time with us so far but we have realise it will be down to whether he wants to join us and whether he maintains his form to want to make us pay the pre agreed €5m fee

We will need to see how the next few months go but he’s a cracking player and his attitude so far has been spot on

I hope he wants to sign as he looks a brilliant player

This is the reason why we should be exercising the option to buy now. If he has a great end to the season he will end up with other offers. An option to buy just means we have an agreed fee with the club, surely the player himself can decide where he wants to go?

Really dont know how we got him for 5 mill. Ross wilson played a blinder

I get why people are worried about him not staying but he will, It's already been agreed

I would be fairly sure if he does well he will stay here regardless, he needs to find a home for a few years and develop and I think between him and his dad they will have the brains to stay put and know that the PL will always come calling for him.

I get why people are worried about him not staying but he will, It's already been agreed
In the end is up to the player to agree and decide. The first question would be: Would you like to stay to Rangers ? IF he says NO then he can choose from any other offers that Genk agreed on if any. For sure he won't go back to Genk or any other worse club.

if Romania get to the Euros which is plausible, it would be interesting to see how he plays as I'd expect him to be part of the squad

have to beat Iceland and then Bulgaria or Hungary to make it
Managed now by Radoi, who was in charge of the U21 success in Euro U21, I believe we have a chance. With him, Ianis is firm part of the first 11, so more good news for Rangers as well

option to buy seems to be €5m and I'd suggest Hagi's value has probably increased since Thursday night as Europe would have seen that comeback and the part he played in it

Clubs have agreed that. Pretty sure there will be a clause he has to agree too. I’d sign him now personally.

If ever there was a non-story! WHU had an interest in Hagi! There’s probably dozens of other clubs also “had an interest” but few of them so hard up for something positive that they’d come out with this.

After a couple of moves that haven't went to plan he looks like he's found the perfect place to show off his talents. Seems like he's fallen in love with the club already.

West Ham would be a terrible for him, or anyone at the moment

As mentioned above, my only fear in this agreed deal is the player himself. He has a great end to season and interest from clubs who can offer him more money comes along.
Hopefully not too the 2nd part anyway!

Certainly looks like a great bit of business from the club

Said went he arrived it was all going to be about if the lad wanted it, everything pointing to him being hungry to make it happen

We are in the driving seat having a formal agreement and presumably a contract with his club. The only way we don’t get him if we want him is if he decides not to join. Therefore, with Gerrard as manager and all of the positives we have to sell us, we need to ensure the guy loves it at the club and wants to stay. It looks like he is already well down that path.

All that we have agreed with Genk is a fee to purchaser Hagi in the summer if he is happy to make the move to Rangers permanent. At this moment in time we all want him signed, sealed and delivered but it is far from a done deal.

The better he plays between now and the end of the season only increases greatly the chance that other clubs will take notice, increasing the possibility that we could be gazumped. Ultimately Hagi himself will decide where he plays his football next season.

He’s young. Play with us for another season at least. If he’s good enough he’ll get the move to better than West Ham.

Not worried in the slightest, he wants stability and it looks like it's happening at Ibrox. 5m in Summer a full season and gone for 20+ if his current trajectory stays stable.

Back