We've bought well....but 2 new Centre Halfs is an absolute must

blueballs

Absolute criminal defending today, though as a team I don't think we're too far away, and need to build on a decent last transfer window

2 solid, capable and decent centre halfs MUST be on this summer's list.

Oh, and by the way - Wes isn't as good a keeper as some make out. Decent, perhaps....top drawer, no chance

Trying to be positive, think we could take them in Semi....and if you asked before today what game - league or cup - if we could only win one, I'd have taken that.

We desperately need two more solid centre halves to compliment Bates and McRorie. Should be the first area we recruit for in the summer. That was the difference today.

I said the same OP.
I text my brother at half time and said we need to score 2 in the second half.
The defence is weakened with Brutal Alves, we have better 20/21yr old centre half’s when fit.
As for Car-crash-o, he isn’t up to this league standard, hopefully some Portuguese club with buy him in the summer.

Correct.

Walter bombed Karl Svensson and got Ugo Ehiogu. He got him in an Old Firm game reaped the rewards.

Murty bombs Cardoso then gets made the bad guy by being reduced to playing him 3 months later as 6th choice !

Oh and Alves was his 5th choice

I agree and im hoping we are signing mcarthur, i cant help thinking what someone of his experience and ability would have offered us today but thats for the future.

Cardoso and Alves is up their with our worst pairings. You still get mugs on here telling you it’s our best partnership.

I’m astounded at the money we spent on Cardoso in particular. Compare Wildon’s last performance against them to that muck today. Infuriating.

The DoF has had 1 transfer window. The team has improved. Hopefully we can move on a lot of the poorer players in the squad and put those wages to good use to improve the central defence in the summer.

It's our main priority, we need two Rangers centre halves.

John Brown being part of the Scouting staff hopefully means we've created a definitive profile of what is needed there.

On any other day, we’d have played McCrorie or Martin ahead of Alves and either of the above plus Bates ahead of Cardoso. One thing Murty can’t be blamed for is playing Alves and Cardoso together.

We need a CB who can cover ground so we are not continually dropping deep or left with no cover when the fullbacks advance.

With Walter's last side, anytime a team tried to counter Bougherra would be across like a flash booting the ball into Row Z and giving us time to regain our shape. It's really telling when you have defenders that aren't mobile enough.

Last edited:
On any other day, we’d have played McCrorie or Martin ahead of Alves and either of the above plus Bates ahead of Cardoso. One thing Murty can’t be blamed for is playing Alves and Cardoso together.

Indeed. There was no other option.

Fuucking terrifying that those two were first pick at the start of the season.

If Martin was fit we’d have won that today.

Going forward I’d rather see another youngster get s chance instead of Alves.

I also believe Alves presence has a detrimental effect on Cardoso.

Without singling anyone out it's pretty obvious we need an upgrade in that dept.

I can't remember the last time we had a pairing at centre back that you could set your watch by.

If you want to chase prizes that's a must have.

We need a CB who can cover ground so we are not continually dropping deep or left with no cover when the fullbacks advance.

With Walter's last side, anytime a team tried to counter Bougherra would be across like a flash booting the ball into Row Z and giving us team to regain our shape. It's really telling when you have defenders that aren't mobile enough.
I’d agree with this. One thing we don’t have is any pace across the CBs, irrespective of which two you pick. McCrorie and Bates might be the best pick of the lot. I’d be inclined to spend on a strong, quick CB to fight it out with those two and one other next season.

Bates was a massive loss for the defence after 10 minutes.

We were then reliant on 2 centre halves that have barely played in the last few months, nevermind played together as a pairing, neither of which will be here next season.

Murty would have selected from Martin, McCrorie or Bates if he'd had the selections available from the beginning. We ended up with the worst possible scenario today.

Absolute criminal defending today, though as a team I don't think we're too far away, and need to build on a decent last transfer window

2 solid, capable and decent centre halfs MUST be on this summer's list.

Oh, and by the way - Wes isn't as good a keeper as some make out. Decent, perhaps....top drawer, no chance

Trying to be positive, think we could take them in Semi....and if you asked before today what game - league or cup - if we could only win one, I'd have taken that.
Good point re Fod, always beaten from distance. Alves although far from perfect was dominant in the air today. We really need a leader in the middle of the park, someone to lift his team mates, they cants had one today!

Defence was let down by our midfield, Having McCrorie or Jack in there would make a big difference.

Goss and our defence let us down today.

However, I said the same about two centre halves immediately after FT

Not sure Alves lost a header today?

Struggling to see how he’s taking the blame.

A lack of central midfield allowed Rogic to stroll through the heart of our team.

Even one proper CH beside Bates with McCrorie in front would have made us a lot,lot stronger and harder to beat than we were today.Goss,Alves and Cardoso are not of the standard required going forward I'm afraid.And I like Goss,but today he was miles off the pace-scarily so.

Not sure Alves lost a header today?

Struggling to see how he’s taking the blame.

A lack of central midfield allowed Rogic to stroll through the heart of our team.
Did you see him trying to run though mate,I mean seriously? His legs have gone,and I'm afraid he is done.
Great player a few years ago,not now.Him and Cardoso will be gone in the summer,and I have to say they won't be missed.

Disappointed today. Big difference from last Ibrox game where I expected a loss. The distance we’ve come in 5 months is significant

If we had a first choice midfield fit today and had two solid centre halfs we would be able to compete. Alves is past his best Martin will struggle if he plays in a game like this.
Sick of hearing if Morelos took his chances. When we score two at home we should never be beaten. For me it’s a mixture of naive manager poor c/halves missing chances but mainly a mental problem against them. They expect to win we hope to not get beat.

Totally agree with those saying that lack of protection in front of them didn't help today , it's part of the picture but not the whole.

Let's be honest, our backline hasn't looked solid in many a long day.

Back