We've lost the same goal all season

I've no idea why Goldson didn't blooter that ball in to the stand. He's done that a few times though, sometimes because its fallen to his weaker foot - we've been punished for it and also got away with a few like that this season. Add-in the fact we know McGregor won't leave his line, its baffling.

I don't think McGregor could have come for that, but our central defence has been shaky with certain types of balls all season and I think its a combination of a few factors. I was surprised by how many outswinging corners Frankfurt used - I thought they'd be trying to put it right in on top of McGregor.

I think our defence will be more solid next season based on who we think will be leaving.

Spot on OAH.

The other thing. I don’t remember them winning the ball in the air once on corners in our box. The risk in giving it away was minimal.
True.
I came on here to post something similar -- it's about the only game all season where I've not seen us worried at all by corners !

I don't want to belabour the point, and I know that even the best defenders make mistakes, but wtf was actually going through Goldson's mind at that point ?

They had a free kick early on that had us scrambling, but overall -- even although they peppered us with shots -- I had the feeling that they were having one of those games that we usually have: not being able to put the ball in the net.

We just didn't play to the strength of what took us to the Final -- sweeping attacking play.
A lot of reversion to having the ball at the edge of their box (with players available to attack or shoot) and then working it all the way back to our own keeper !!

I think that's the most frustrating goal I've ever seen us concede. I never understood the idea of crying through frustration until last night.
So, so many times we've lost that kind of goal over the years. I genuinely feel we would have won had Goldson cleared that like he should have.
A piece of brilliance from them, a 30 yarder, a deflection - just about anything else. But no. That goal. Again.

I felt we'd blown it the minute it went in.

I'll tell you what though, for the players to keep going like they did after that was magnificent.

I think that's the most frustrating goal I've ever seen us concede. I never understood the idea of crying through frustration until last night.
So, so many times we've lost that kind of goal over the years. I genuinely feel we would have won had Goldson cleared that like he should have.
A piece of brilliance from them, a 30 yarder, a deflection - just about anything else. But no. That goal. Again.

I felt we'd blown it the minute it went in.

I'll tell you what though, for the players to keep going like they did after that was magnificent.

They did show great character after it.

In horrible heat, we kept going at them & they seemed to be hoping to hang on for penalties.

Maybe lacked our normal fluency but we no doubt showed great spirit. Wee Davis was top class when he came on.

They did show great character after it.

In horrible heat, we kept going at them & they seemed to be hoping to hang on for penalties.

Maybe lacked our normal fluency but we no doubt showed great spirit. Wee Davis was top class when he came on.

Honestly, they were amazing.
If we were frustrated at that goal imagine how they felt.

I've no doubt we have the character to lift the Scottish Cup on Saturday.

Honestly, they were amazing.
If we were frustrated at that goal imagine how they felt.

I've no doubt we have the character to lift the Scottish Cup on Saturday.

Yes, we need that Scottish Cup. This team deserve a trophy for what they’ve done this season WR.

No doubt we’ve been inconsistent, but they’ve also given us some incredible memories this season we’ll all remember forever.

I think they’ll finish the season on a high. And we need to help them get there.

Fucking heartbreaking. Twice I’ve had this feeling now some will be 4. All we can do is win Saturday what’s done is done
I know.
There's so many "what ifs":

Goldson's cleared the ball.
Kent scores with the chance he had

Gio uses his subs better

(And if Kent scores, the following wouldn't be discussed).
Ramsey doesn't miss his penalty

But, we move on. It's a hard one to take, but we need to focus on Saturday now

The OP is correct. Wright’s attempt to block the cross was feeble. He should have been tight to Kostic forcing him onto his right foot. But when the ball comes in if Goldson throws himself at the ball he clears it. It is a goal we have lost frequently.

Every formation has weaknesses to be exploited and this is ours. We protect the middle of the pitch which means we leave space in the wide areas. Kinda just a consequence of the way we choose to play.

Anyone trying to blame McGregor for that should go watch another sport tho. McLaughlin, Buffon or Lev Yashin does the exact same thing. You will never in your life see a keeper come for that. If he does he misses it.

Bottom line is that with the way we deploy Tav then we need to have someone reliable with a bit of dig to help cover for him and get out and stop crosses. I’d argue that with the exception of Jack for a while during SG’s 433 and Candeias before him, we’ve not really had that. So crosses come on.

That said, Connor had to do better and unfortunately despite having a massive performance Bassey was caught on his heels too.

Could it have been stopped? Yes. Go back far enough in the play and all goals could be. However, it was a truly top class ball in. We’d have been creaming ourselves if Kent had delivered one like that.

Doesn’t detract from the OP’s point I suppose. We’ve lost a few like that.

Too many goals we lose whether it be from the wing or through the middle, feature several players in succession all failing to do their job.

Some goals you just hold your hands up and say there was little could be done to prevent it, but to lose one as avoidable as that, last night of all nights, was an absolute sickener.

We rarely kill teams off when we have the chance, then we concede. Its happened all season. A 2nd Rangers goal last night, and Frankfurt were beaten.

I'm a big fan of Goldson but he actively stops himself from making contact with the ball at the near post. Other than being worried about an own goal, what the hell was he thinking?
It really is as simple as that. There is no need to over analyse this, it's on Goldson 100%

I just want to know why Goldson left it. Can’t let that ball run beyond him into a dangerous area. Did he not expect their player to get there ahead of Bassey? Who knows. That piece of defending will haunt me for the foreseeable.

Every one was blaming goldson but McGregor again rooted to his line. Wait to you see the difference of Saturday on defending these.

I thought at first viewing mcgregor should have came, but watching it back it was never his ball and its a poor decision from goldson

Would it not be that this sort of goal is just very common in football as a whole? Of course, there are mistakes being made by our players, but you will see goals like that every single weekend. It's a cross into the 6-yard box.

Wright doesn't stop the cross, goldson let's it run past him and mcgregor is rooted to his line

Jota goal in oldfirm - Goldson and Tav poor in stopping maedas cross, Barisic and Mcgregor rooted to the spot.

Red star- no pressure on the cross. Morelos Kamara and Goldson fail to read the flight Red star score

Motherwell's in the 2-2 game - Lundstram doesn't stop the cross, mcgregor and goldson ball watching, let it run across and Roberts has a tap in

In the 3-0 old firm loss Tav doesnt stop Hatates cross Goldson let's it run, Mcgrgor and Barisic on their heels and Abada nips in at the back post

I could go on and on with this.

Our wide men need to close that space and stop the cross, more often than not its goldson or Borna letting it run and above all we need a keeper that's able to anticipate the cross and get off his line sharp enough to collect it.

The goals I've mentioned killed us this season. Next year Goldson and Mcgregor won't be there so let's stop making the same mistakes and we'll maybe win a few more games.
The common point there to all those goals is Goldson.

Every one was blaming goldson but McGregor again rooted to his line. Wait to you see the difference of Saturday on defending these.
I’ve criticised McGregor when he’s made mistakes this season but last night wasn’t one of them. As a goalkeeper, you’re looking at your front post centre half to clear that. If it’s right in the heart of the 6yd box then aye, point fingers at McGregor, but this ball was played out swinging across the outside of the 6yd box, 1ft away from your front post CH

I’m on of the biggest McGregor critics on here but that is out order.

The main culprit is Goldson. That’s bread and butter for a centre half - you clear your lines. Corner kick or throw in.

2nd culprit is Bassey, doesn’t track the runner and let’s him get in front which is an absolute no no for a centre back. It’s about body shape. Having the striker and the ball in view but being closer to the ball so the striker can’t run in front of you.

3rd culprit is Scott Wright, who fails to block the cross or put any sort of pressure on the winger.

Wright doesn't stop the cross, goldson let's it run past him and mcgregor is rooted to his line

Jota goal in oldfirm - Goldson and Tav poor in stopping maedas cross, Barisic and Mcgregor rooted to the spot.

Red star- no pressure on the cross. Morelos Kamara and Goldson fail to read the flight Red star score

Motherwell's in the 2-2 game - Lundstram doesn't stop the cross, mcgregor and goldson ball watching, let it run across and Roberts has a tap in

In the 3-0 old firm loss Tav doesnt stop Hatates cross Goldson let's it run, Mcgrgor and Barisic on their heels and Abada nips in at the back post

I could go on and on with this.

Our wide men need to close that space and stop the cross, more often than not its goldson or Borna letting it run and above all we need a keeper that's able to anticipate the cross and get off his line sharp enough to collect it.

The goals I've mentioned killed us this season. Next year Goldson and Mcgregor won't be there so let's stop making the same mistakes and we'll maybe win a few more games.
Maybe our full backs need to be in position and not aimlessly wandering about? - not the root cause but if Tavernier had been there instead of Wright I don't think the cross comes over

As great a servant as Goldson has been for us, the reason he’s unlikely to ever play for a top EPL side is because of occasional poor decision making like last night.

Just before the goal he got caught dithering on the ball that led to a chance they probably should have scored from and then at the goal itself, why on earth would you not cut out a dangerous cross into the heart of the six yard box?

At the same time he’s been colossal at times during this campaign so there’s an argument to say we wouldn’t have gotten as far without him, but very frustrating that most of our big players had off games at the same time last night.

The cross for the goal was possibly the result of the same homework they had done for other parts of the game. They neutralised Tav and Kent. They got crosses in behind both full backs in front of the keeper the difference being from Scottish clubs it was along the ground and not in the air. But the premise of the OP is correct we lose that type of goal far too often.

Back