What’s the story with Shane Duffy? (All Duffy posts in here)

Sky asked the question before the game, Strachan said he could play as he had a negative test.

Don't know why Zungu had to isolate for 14 days, surely a negative test would've been sufficient.
I think Rangers wanted him to self isolate so as to be sure that when he entered our bubble he was clear. It seems we were quite rightly being extra cautious to protect the squad. Not sure about big dufus and the requirement to isolate coming back from their stag weekend.

This SHOULD grow arms and legs. A massive fuk up yet again by the mentally challengeds.

The club has become one huge shit show.
Hopfully it does and theyre awarded a defeat:) they were a stickler for the rules when that European team fielded the ineligible player and gladly took thier place in the next round they didn't deserve! fairs fair :))

I think there are questions to be asked about Duffy, but the far bigger questions are:
  • why are the SFA/SPFL are acting as paid for minion mouthpieces of Celtic when with any other club (Rangers, Hearts, Partick) they would be on the front foot in holding to account; and
  • why are large sections of the sports media seem unwilling to properly hold Celtic to account (especially when large sections of their own fanbase are looking for this too)?

the minute he left the sporting bubble and returned on public transport ie a domestic flight he becomes a punter so I'd say he must selfisolate .anyone who has to do this regardless of taking a test must to the period of isolate....they could be in shit over this

has it been determined, either way, if Duffy should have been allowed to play last night?
last i heard, Strachan had said that the initial announcement from celtic last week , sayinfg Duffy would be ineligible was incorrect.

Or ryan christie.
Its not the same as Christie as Duffy travelled back himself to London so as he wasnt on the flight back with the team he's not deemed a close contact. Christie was deemed a close contact with Armstrong and that's why he had to isolate.

Bolingoli and Zungu had to isolate because they had travelled from countries that were on the banned list at the time so at the time it was a mandatory 14 day quarantine period. The Dubai one didn't come in play until yesterday where you now must quarantine for 10 days. I don't know as some others have said if Duffy has done what any other player does when travelling for international matches flying with the public.

Sky asked the question before the game, Strachan said he could play as he had a negative test.

Don't know why Zungu had to isolate for 14 days, surely a negative test would've been sufficient.
Given Strachan’s logic, why was there not a follow up question regards all the (supposedly) negative self-isolating Tims from the official travel home? What’s the difference?

Given Strachan’s logic, why was there not a follow up question regards all the (supposedly) negative self-isolating Tims from the official travel home? What’s the difference?

Because its different situations.

Regardless of returning a negative test, if you are a close contact of a confirmed positive case then you MUST isolate for 10 days. No ifs, buts or maybes about that one.

Duffy is returning from a country that he was in for elite sporting reasons (no sniggering at the back). The rules are different.

Regardless of returning a negative test, if you are a close contact of a confirmed positive case then you MUST isolate for 10 days. No ifs, buts or maybes about that one.

Duffy is returning from a country that he was in for elite sporting reasons (no sniggering at the back). The rules are different.
So he wasn’t in any contact with big Julie Anne in Dubai, when all his other pals were? Mmmm

One thing we do know for an absolute fact is that he is definitely covered by the “being asked to self isolate” clause rather than mandatory. And the Tims two-fingered that advice and played him anyways.

Not saying that you are wrong but surely he left the bubble of elite sport the minute he gets on a scheduled flight. Every single passenger on that flight has to quarantine except for him because he’s in a bubble? I mean he definitely does appear to be in a bubble but that’s a different conversation

So he wasn’t in any contact with big Julie Anne in Dubai, when all his other pals were? Mmmm

One thing we do know for an absolute fact is that he is definitely covered by the “being asked to self isolate” clause rather than mandatory. And the Tims two-fingered that advice and played him anyways.

He left Dubai on Monday so his latest contact with him in dubai was then. They don't go as far back as that with close contact tracing.

I think as it is only advice he will have been allowed to have played. It's just a horrible decision by them again. As you have said they have two-fingered the advice feeling that their quest for 10 is more important than containing the spread of a virus that has the NHS on its knees.

They are just giving the Scottish government another branch to beat the game with, without breaking any more of the JRG rules. I suspect the first minister is going to have to again address issues created by Celtic in her daily briefing which will irritate her.

Celtic knew what they were doing in playing Duffy, they knew that in the interest of public safety it was the wrong thing to do. The decent thing to do is fucking hammer them for their utter disregard for the staff of the NHS and the vulnerable.

Last edited:
Not saying that you are wrong but surely he left the bubble of elite sport the minute he gets on a scheduled flight. Every single passenger on that flight has to quarantine except for him because he’s in a bubble? I mean he definitely does appear to be in a bubble but that’s a different conversation

So what about our players when they go on international duty?

I can tell you for 100% fact that all our foreign international players go on commercial flights outwith a "football bubble" with members of the public, to and from countries that quarantine is required. They are allowed to forgo that quarantine as they get regular tests.

I dont expect a clamour for Barisic, Helander, Balogun, Davis, Aribo, Zungu etc etc to all quarantine after the next international break.

Perhaps retrospectively it will be decided their trip wasn't for sporting reasons and the privileges will be retrospectively removed, but currently I dont see any rule breaking by them.

So what about our players when they go on international duty?

I can tell you for 100% fact that all our foreign international players go on commercial flights outwith a "football bubble" with members of the public, to and from countries that quarantine is required. They are allowed to forgo that quarantine as they get regular tests.

I dont expect a clamour for Barisic, Helander, Balogun, Davis, Aribo, Zungu etc etc to all quarantine after the next international break.

Perhaps retrospectively it will be decided their trip wasn't for sporting reasons and the privileges will be retrospectively removed, but currently I dont see any rule breaking by them.
Yeah hadn’t thought of it like that. Still think it’s crazy but as you have pointed out it certainly appears to be within the rules.

This happens every International break. Guys like Borna leave the Rangers bubble and travel on their own to meet up with their International colleagues in a separate bubble. They play the games and then leave their National team bubble to travel back, often from countries without a travel corridor, to rejoin the Rangers bubble without any requirement to self isolate.

On that basis there is clearly some form of exemption for elite sports to cover such an event.

The question is whether or not Duffy can use that International scenario to avoid having to self isolate.

I don't know the answer but would assume the International players would be exempt based on travelling directly between two bubbles and getting tested immediately on arrival which would be considered different to leaving one bubble, travelling several thousand miles to be with family (not a sporting bubble) for several days and then travelling back to your original sporting bubble.

So unless they can find a loophole in that respect it would seem that they are relying on the use of the word "ask" in the Scottish Government guidance as their get out. Seems pretty weak.

I'm pretty sure they would have clarified these issues before John Kennedy made his original statement and that, once they have seen who is required to isolate and who was available for the Hibs game, were simply scrambling about in desperation looking for any possible loophole.

They may well have totally messed up here but I would doubt if anyone will challenge them on it. It will be another case where they simply say we have done nothing wrong and everyone should just accept it and move on.

And, as said last night, why give him a test yesterday but be so reluctant to test the squad when Hibs asked?

And, as said last night, why give him a test yesterday but be so reluctant to test the squad when Hibs asked?

It was blatantly because they didn’t want to go into last nights game with 2 youngsters in the cb positions as it’s likely they would of lost the game by a few goals. But then didn’t want others tested as they didn’t want to lose any of those that started in midfield last night as they probs thought there was enough quality in there to win them the game

Who did Celtic ask about whether Duffy could play or not and who told them that he could as long as he got a test and it was negative?

I know they aren't the brightest but surely to God they wouldn't be that stupid to field an ineligible player on top of everything else?
This is where their arrogance comes in to play, they think they are untouchable and dont receive as severe punishments as others if any in the first place.

This is where their arrogance comes in to play, they think they are untouchable and dont receive as severe punishments as others if any in the first place.

I would be genuinely amazed if they knew he was ineligible & played him.

It's not as if he's half decent & was worth the risk, he is an utter plank & they are probably a better team without him.

This should be chased up, yes he cost them two points but they can’t be allowed to just break rules and get away with it (I must be new to Scottish fitba thinking that) but the embarrassment and brand damage of them fielding an ineligible player is significant.

They have cheated tonight and the whole world should know about it.
Exactly and I'm sure they got reinstated to European competition after they complained about a team fielding an illegible player. I'm surprised Hibs are not making much of a fuss about this as this could have a major impact on their own players safety.

This should be chased up, yes he cost them two points but they can’t be allowed to just break rules and get away with it (I must be new to Scottish fitba thinking that) but the embarrassment and brand damage of them fielding an ineligible player is significant.

They have cheated tonight and the whole world should know about it.
This. They've run roughshod over Scottish football for years, they think they are invincible. Time for them to be accountable.

Some clever sorts on here must be able to create a collage of the Duffster, prone on the ground, as another ball skelps their net

every goal they concede he’s lying flat out lol

It's not as if he's half decent & was worth the risk, he is an utter plank & they are probably a better team without him.
They didn’t have any other centre halves though as Ajer, Julien and Bitton were all unavailable. It looks to me as if they’ve tested Duffy last minute and decided to play him knowing they won’t face the consequences.

The fact Kennedy told the media he couldn’t play tells you that’s that Lennon and the rest of the coaches had been planning for this game knowing Duffy wouldn’t play. What they hadn’t factored in was that all their other defenders would have to isolate.

They didn’t have any other centre halves though as Ajer, Julien and Bitton were all unavailable. It looks to me as if they’ve tested Duffy last minute and decided to play him knowing they won’t face the consequences.

The fact Kennedy told the media he couldn’t play tells you that’s that Lennon and the rest of the coaches had been planning for this game knowing Duffy wouldn’t play. What they hadn’t factored in was that all their other defenders would have to isolate.

I agree. They've either decided to chance it thinking they won't get punished anyway & even if they do (unlikely) it's worth it as they literally had no one else.

The arrogance of them is genuinely staggering.

There is no way that he was eligible to play. This shouldn't be allowed to sit. There is no way that Celtic wouldn't challenge the eligibility of a player if they hadn't got the result they wanted in a match. We've seen it happen with them before.
It’s only Government advice for travellers arriving back from Dubai from 03/01/21 to self isolate for 10 days from the date they arrived home.
So they have basically listened to that advice, and decided to ignore that public health advice.
Over to you Nikkla.

I think they’ve either blundered or - more likely - chanced their arm.

A Google search is showing that only the message boards are talking about this, not the press.

If it isn’t picked up by the MSM the corrupt SFA won’t act.

I think they’ve either blundered or - more likely - chanced their arm.

A Google search is showing that only the message boards are talking about this, not the press.

If it isn’t picked up by the MSM the corrupt SFA won’t act.

It was mentioned on Clyde last night twice pre game but that's about it.

It’s only Government advice for travellers arriving back from Dubai from 03/01/21 to self isolate for 10 days from the date they arrived home.
So they have basically listened to that advice, and decided to ignore that public health advice.
Over to you Nikkla.
After telling everyone they always follow government advice.

Back