What’s the update on the side panels of the Broomloan and Copland?

The ones on the Broomy and Copland mid section between upper and lower.

Why bother ?

It’s the “ big” screens that badly need replaced . They are possibly the smallest “ big” screens I’ve ever seen .

Put proper ones in .

Just for clarity ;) the new panels will be more or less like-for-like. In other words ‘clean’ rather than the ‘CLEAR’ you mention. They will not be ‘clear’.

Well if they aren’t clear and are just like for like as in exactly the same as 40 years ago then it’s a bit disappointing.

The guy on the thread earlier who is doing the job said they are much better than the old panels .

Surely in this day and age we can come up with something smarter and better looking but also weatherproof than something that just “ does the job” the same as 40 years ago .

Hardened Glass with a Rangers crest embossed ? Would look sensational . Just an example .
Yip I agree it would look a million times better, but the cost would be much greater also, plus I would bet you would get scum throwing bricks at the glass to damage them and to add to the cost.
A wee example of the cost.
One 12 foot high by 2 foot wide and 10 mm thick safety glass cost £1000 to replace in 2003, when I worked at the Raddison hotel on Argyle street.

Well if they aren’t clear and are just like for like as in exactly the same as 40 years ago then it’s a bit disappointing.

The guy on the thread earlier who is doing the job said they are much better than the old panels .

It was @Dougie Deans on this thread. He does say they are much better but nowhere does he say they are clear (unless I’ve missed it). As far as I can gather its the up-to-date version of what we have. In fact, there’s photos earlier in the thread. They wont be clear. Clear plastic would soon look shit anyway - and clear glass is too expensive and, possibly, may even be too heavy.

Don’t know what is up with the scoreboard screens, but always welcome upgrades wherever they are feasible.
As an overseas bear who can only watch via tv / rtv coverage, the area surrounding the dugouts and wall in front of the enclosure is always fairly grotty looking with green mould seemingly coming from water on the blue track and growing up the wall. I do wonder if when the pitch is being replaced in the summer, if the blue track will make way for blue AstroTurf similar to what I believe Leicester have at their stadium?

I was at St Etienne fro Scotland v Morocco at France 98 and they never had this plastic at end of their stand and I can tell you it was petrifying sitting on the last seat looking down about 60 ft over the side.

We don't need to re-invent the wheel when re-furbishing Ibrox. It's a classic, timeless stadium. Proper repair of the partitions, screens, roof, seats and a general makeover is all that's needed right now.

We don't need to re-invent the wheel when re-furbishing Ibrox. It's a classic, timeless stadium. Proper repair of the partitions, screens, roof, seats and a general makeover is all that's needed right now.

New big screens , a ticket office instead of portakabins with barbed wire on them would be nice as well . Agree about the general stadium though.

I thought so too but according to VB they are yellow .

Which begs the question why bother ? Just clean the existing ones .
Surely they aren't yellow. I thought they were yellowed from the sunlight, if it was like for like replacements wouldn't they be white?

Surely to god the replacement panels that are going up are going to be clear.
I thought so too but according to VB they are yellow .

Which begs the question why bother ? Just clean the existing ones .
Yellow FFS. Just do them blue
No way are they going to be yellow.

They must be clear.

I don’t think I said yellow (or any other colour) I simply said that, based on what @Dougie Deans says earlier in the thread, they would be a modern equivalent of what we have. The problem with ‘clear’ is that the sun discolours them and they aren’t ‘clear’ for very long at all.

@Dougie Deans seems to be involved in the work. Read his posts on this thread.

It may be that they are the similar to what was originally installed - which certainly let light through but was not ‘clear’ in the sense that they were not like glass.

Last edited:
Hate to bring up the mentally challengeds but they have clear perspex at the end of their meccano set and it looks a hell of a lot better than yellow.

I don’t think anyone is getting their knickers in a twist about it-just a general topic of conversation about upgrades throughout the stadium.
It comes up endlessly, and now something is being done about them some are complaining about it. It's getting a bit boring the amount of complaints about the stadium, considering the present board are seeing that necessary work is being undertaken and have been doing so in tge past few years. King said they would be doing this when they took over, they are delivering on it, what's the problem?

Was up there today the cherry picker at Broomloan corner was working at the cladding panels from roof edge rather than the perspex

Hate to bring up the mentally challengeds but they have clear perspex at the end of their meccano set and it looks a hell of a lot better than yellow.

Agreed, why we couldn't just have that to let light in I don't know. Ibrox is too dark inside as it is.

It comes up endlessly, and now something is being done about them some are complaining about it. It's getting a bit boring the amount of complaints about the stadium, considering the present board are seeing that necessary work is being undertaken and have been doing so in tge past few years. King said they would be doing this when they took over, they are delivering on it, what's the problem?
Problem? I don’t see anyone having a problem. As I’ve said, it’s people talking about what upgrades are ongoing throughout the stadium. I personally have an interest in it as I live overseas so the only updates I get is through FF.
In regards to people complaining, I’m sure you’re familiar with times when we have convincingly won a game and inevitably some people love to bring up the ball boy not paying attention, or the smokers in the toilets etc. it kinda just goes with the territory in this place I guess.

Agreed, why we couldn't just have that to let light in I don't know. Ibrox is too dark inside as it is.
source.gif

Put it this way they ain't yellow. Translucent GRP isnt clear either. It transmits a diffused light through instead of glass that gives you obviously natural vision.

They aren't yellow, they aren't blue... Our fans are bonkers at time with the need to know. Its fucking insane ha.

Put it this way they ain't yellow. Translucent GRP isnt clear either. It transmits a diffused light through instead of glass that gives you obviously natural vision.

They aren't yellow, they aren't blue... Our fans are bonkers at time with the need to know. Its fucking insane ha.

220px-Ibrox%2C_1994.jpg

Translucent is the word I was looking for. If they are the modern equivalent of what we originally had they will look something like the above. As you say, they let light through but they are far from ‘clear’. I’m yet to be convinced that’s what we will go for. In fact, looking at that I think ‘solid’ panels may even look better.

Last edited:

I'd have thought that transparent blue ones would look great

220px-Ibrox%2C_1994.jpg

Translucent is the word I was looking for. If they are the modern equivalent of what we originally had they will look something like the above. As you say, they let light through but they are far from ‘clear’. I’m yet to be convinced that’s what we will go for. In fact, looking at that I think ‘solid’ panels may even look better.
Trust me its the panels I mentioned.

What, the translucent GRP? I’m unclear as to what you were saying.

He seems to be saying it’s the exact same as the original . Kind of murky clear if that makes sense ? Horrible if that’s the best we can do given the time that’s passed .

I don’t see why we couldn’t have picked red or blue or even put it to the fans to decide

He seems to be saying it’s the exact same as the original . Kind of murky clear if that makes sense ? Horrible if that’s the best we can do given the time that’s passed .

I don’t see why we couldn’t have picked red or blue or even put it to the fans to decide

This trend for having a referendum on everything seems to be catching on.;)

You could canvass a hundred people and get a hundred different opinions. The work is getting done, that’s the main thing. The colour of the chosen panels is way down our list if ‘concerns’ I’d suggest.

I don’t think I said yellow (or any other colour) I simply said that, based on what @Dougie Deans says earlier in the thread, they would be a modern equivalent of what we have. The problem with ‘clear’ is that the sun discolours them and they aren’t ‘clear’ for very long at all.

@Dougie Deans seems to be involved in the work. Read his posts on this thread.

It may be that they are the similar to what was originally installed - which certainly let light through but was not ‘clear’ in the sense that they were not like glass.

You can’t clean these sheets when they’re old. It exposes the glass fibres within and they will brown very quickly. They are not yellow either!! They will be pearlescent ie like a translucent light grey colour. This is much preferable to clear because you would create potential glare for spectators. Work has just begun so you will all see for yourselves over the next few weeks. But I promise it will be a big difference/improvement

I know about that job too mate. They are polycarbonate. We would have required extra steel support for these. They probably do look better at first but they weather much more quickly than GRP and will last 20-25 yrs max. It can also cause glare issues as I mentioned above. This is the best solution.
On another note. The recladding of the 3 roofs is now complete and although you will never see it it was a ‘rolls Royce soec’ It was done correctly and will last at last 40 more years. That would have cost a very considerable amount, believe me.

Did the tour last week and have to say the dressing rooms and corridors surrounding need modernised. Also the reception area, things like wall paper fraying and stuff needing hidden. Our stadium is a museum full of history. We need to protect it and showcase it as best we can. Im sure the Board know this and I understand its a work in progress getting it back up to scratch.

Back