What’s the update on the side panels of the Broomloan and Copland?

uaerangers

As title says, I was reminded of this when reading the other thread about the family stand lettering being removed.
I read that some posters were saying a few weeks ago that the yellow panels are to be removed and updated within the next few weeks......is there any update to this or any confirmation on what is going to be put up in its place?

From what I heard we are just replacing the yellowing corrugated plastic sheeting with more of the same , which if true is amassive disappointment.

The lifespan of this stuff has been ok considering. Maybe replace it more regularly but for me its weather-proof and does the job

The lifespan of this stuff has been ok considering. Maybe replace it more regularly but for me its weather-proof and does the job

Surely in this day and age we can come up with something smarter and better looking but also weatherproof than something that just “ does the job” the same as 40 years ago .

Hardened Glass with a Rangers crest embossed ? Would look sensational . Just an example .

From what I heard we are just replacing the yellowing corrugated plastic sheeting with more of the same , which if true is amassive disappointment.

The panels arrived last week. Technically speaking they are the same material. Thats because of the existing steel structure and fire regulations. This material (GRP) is new generation and will look 100 times better - trust me

Surely in this day and age we can come up with something smarter and better looking but also weatherproof than something that just “ does the job” the same as 40 years ago .

What would you suggest? You could put in glass but that would get manky and clouded too, cost more and would need to be toughened so it didn't shatter in high winds.

I'm open to suggestions but I'm just saying renewal of the current stuff isnt so bad as it's fine for years when new

Hardened Glass with a Rangers crest embossed ? Would look sensational . Just an example .

Mate, Man City couldnt afford that

The panels arrived last week. Technically speaking they are the same material. Thats because of the existing steel structure and fire regulations. This material (GRP) is new generation and will look 100 times better - trust me

Fair enough mate anything thats an improvement is a good thing , I just thought we may have used a bit of imagination to modernise the stands a bit. I love Ibrox there isn’t too much I’d change .

Do you honestly think we have the money to such things?

Are you aware of how long the removal and installation takes and when the work is expected to take place? Likely to be done over the summer when there is no games?

Do you honestly think we have the money to such things?

I don’t know bud all I’m saying is we are replacing stuff on a like for like basis that was first installed 40 years ago and I’m asking if there wasn’t another option which could perhaps look better than corrugated plastic sheets .

One poster has said they will look far superior so that sounds encouraging .

No, they're double skinned so they can take of areas at a time from the outside then likewise with the inside. Keep your eyes open, work will commence anytime

Are you involved mate ? Might be good to take before and after pictures to showcase the difference once complete

What would you suggest? You could put in glass but that would get manky and clouded too, cost more and would need to be toughened so it didn't shatter in high winds.
Look closely at the glass on the club deck stairs, its disgusting looking.

filon-grp-translucent-roof-sheet-vv7chu47lv-g.jpg

Is it like this ?

No, they're double skinned so they can take off areas at a time from the outside then likewise with the inside. Keep your eyes open, work will commence anytime

I’m relying on the good people of FF for updates unfortunately as not living in Glasgow anymore, so visits to Ibrox are once or twice a year, if that.
Looking forward to seeing the difference, if any, they make.

Find it strange to replace panelling when the externals need cleaned down

That's getting done once all the other remedials are carried out. My understanding is that the cladding contractor who has been doing all the roofing work etc etc will be on site for another 18 months. Once all that stuff has been completed and things like plant equipment, scaffold etc are away then the cleaning element will get done.
Unfortunately, due to previous regimes, the stadium upkeep was badly affected so it's a long journey. What i can assure everyone is that these works are being carried out correctly and to a high specification.

Get rangers images or banners on to them inside the stadium when done

Too dark mate like Bournemouth wouldn’t work

We need as much light as possible getting in that’s why I thought hardened glass would look sensational but too dear

That's getting done once all the other remedials are carried out. My understanding is that the cladding contractor who has been doing all the roofing work etc etc will be on site for another 18 months. Once all that stuff has been completed and things like plant equipment, scaffold etc are away then the cleaning element will get done.
Unfortunately, due to previous regimes, the stadium upkeep was badly affected so it's a long journey. What i can assure everyone is that these works are being carried out correctly and to a high specification.

Although the side panels are getting done, will work also be getting carried out on the old cladding at the back of the Broomloan Rear and Copland Rear as well ?

Also the two old cladding panels at either end of the Argyle House Restraunt windows as well in the Sandy Jardine Rear?

Although the side panels are getting done, will work also be getting carried out on the old cladding at the back of the Broomloan Rear and Copland Rear as well ?

Also the two old cladding panels at either end of the Argyle House Restraunt windows as well in the Sandy Jardine Rear?

I can’t imagine them doing the sides and ignoring the top surely ?

Why are so hung up on natural light getting in? What's the big deal? Do you struggle to see on matchdays?

What is the point in replacing the panels as they have “ yellowed “ , replace them with nice clear panels , only to them cover them up again with tacky banners that look temporary ?

The definition of madness .

What is the point in replacing the panels as they have “ yellowed “ , replace them with nice clear panels , only to them cover them up again with tacky banners that look temporary ?

They need replaced because they look awful, but I just don't understand why you keep going on about natural light. Plenty of natural light from, you know, the big hole in the roof.

They need replaced because they look awful, but I just don't understand why you keep going on about natural light. Plenty of natural light from, you know, the big hole in the roof.

Well why not just cover the existing ones in tacky banners eh ? Save all the hassle .

Madness . Your house must be like a cave ffs.

No you have .

Read the thread . The materials have been bought and the job is going ahead .

And you want to cover the brand new panels in banners ?? That’s losing the plot and thankfully will NEVER happen .

When did I say anything about banners?

Seriously mate, you ok?

Glad to hear, thought we had lost you there for a minute. Go outside, get yourself some much needed natural light.

It’s a fine day for it indeed :cool:

It sounds like Ibrox will be back to the way it should be in about 18 months time . Shame on the previous boards including Murray for allowing this level of neglect in the first place .

I saw on twitter yesterday someone had posted a picture of a man lift outside the Broomloan suggesting the side panels could be set for replacing?
Haven’t seen any updates on here-has anyone been past and noticed any changes?

Passed by yesterday and there was guys taking the panels off so id say work is well underway and hopefully see some improvement for the next game at Ibrox.

Just for clarity ;) the new panels will be more or less like-for-like. In other words ‘clean’ rather than the ‘CLEAR’ you mention. They will not be ‘clear’.

Last edited:
Surely at the very least we can hang banners like the legends of Ibrox and the welcome to Ibrox one on the insides of the Copland and broomloan? 4/5 tall thin banners with former players, managers, quotes. The crest etc etc

Back