What’s your favourite memories of Super Ally? Latest episode of Generation Bears

Knocked out early and then they played a cash game at another table. He was on the Irn Bru and everyone else was blootered so think he won a few quid:))
Not going to lie, at 32 years old am sitting here jealous that a havent got a story like that! Haha

All time footballing hero of mine. They say you shouldn't meet your heroes but Ally is someone that always been fantastic on and off the park. Met him several times, most notable being at the old Annfield in Stirling. Got a picture sitting on his knee wearing that god awful Admiral shellsuit that turned purple over time :)

Like others, his goal in the semi final when we went down to 10 men is something I'll never forget. I was only 10 and in the main stand. Still remember the celebrations at the goal and final whistle. Just amazing.

As an aside I never thought Ally got much recognition for his all round forward play. He will always be remembered for his goals but he was a Very intelligent footballer who could score with both feet and showed incredible bravery at times, sticking his head in amongst the boots to score a goal. LEGEND.

Impossible. It's like asking what was The Beatles best song?

A wonderful moment that just sprung to mind there is his decoy run to allow MJ to score against the filth at Ibrox in April 1990.

A part of his game that we all overlook.

All time footballing hero of mine. They say you shouldn't meet your heroes but Ally is someone that always been fantastic on and off the park. Met him several times, most notable being at the old Annfield in Stirling. Got a picture sitting on his knee wearing that god awful Admiral shellsuit that turned purple over time :)

Like others, his goal in the semi final when we went down to 10 men is something I'll never forget. I was only 10 and in the main stand. Still remember the celebrations at the goal and final whistle. Just amazing.

As an aside I never thought Ally got much recognition for his all round forward play. He will always be remembered for his goals but he was a Very intelligent footballer who could score with both feet and showed incredible bravery at times, sticking his head in amongst the boots to score a goal. LEGEND.
Absolutely. He just scored goals in the six yard box etc.

Scored some tremendous goals. The one thing that always surprises me is teammates saying he was a right hard bastard :))

Absolutely. He just scored goals in the six yard box etc.

Scored some tremendous goals. The one thing that always surprises me is teammates saying he was a right hard bastard :))
Love the story about Steven Pressley acting the wideo then bottling it when McCoist was waiting for him haha!

Impossible. It's like asking what was The Beatles best song?

A wonderful moment that just sprung to mind there is his decoy run to allow MJ to score against the filth at Ibrox in April 1990.

A part of his game that we all overlook.

Spot on. Ally then went on to break DJ's record later in the game didnt he?

Another point is that he was always able to adapt to whatever strike partner he was playing with. Everyone immediately thinks McCoist and Hateley but when you consider how effective he was with the likes of Johnston, Durie, Gordon, Laudrup, Durrant, Drinkell I don't think think that's a coincidence. Granted a couple in that list arent strikers as such but he had a brilliant understanding with all of them and plenty of others I've not mentioned.

Daft I know, but convincing him to stand for a photo with me at the dugout when we played ICT in the cup in 2015.

Or being pished and hugging him twice when I saw him at Hipsway's gig at the Bandstand a couple of years back.

Was awestruck to meet my boyhood hero.
I had a wee quick chat with him at that Hipsway gig

1-0 down to the sheep Aitken volley, Ally playing awful and booked. We come out second half with goals from Durrant, Ally and Miko but Ally was great 2nd half. Always loved this game for Durrant's goal and assist for Ally but Ally was excellent 2nd half.

Durrant was brilliant in the 2nd half of this game. Always loved seeing Ian get it right round the sheep

Spot on. Ally then went on to break DJ's record later in the game didnt he?

Another point is that he was always able to adapt to whatever strike partner he was playing with. Everyone immediately thinks McCoist and Hateley but when you consider how effective he was with the likes of Johnston, Durie, Gordon, Laudrup, Durrant, Drinkell I don't think think that's a coincidence. Granted a couple in that list arent strikers as such but he had a brilliant understanding with all of them and plenty of others I've not mentioned.
Penalty kick.

Back