What’s your favourite memories of Super Ally? Latest episode of Generation Bears

The Gallant Few

What’s your favourite memories of Super Ally?

On this week’s Generation Bears, Scott Carney sits down with Ally Pearson to talk through his favourite memories of his Rangers hero - Ally McCoist

Available now on Apple, Acast & Youtube:

Apple- https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...15040562#episodeGuid=5fbea01c95b1b65214daa70f

Acast- https://shows.acast.com/the-gallant-few/episodes/the-gallant-few-generation-bears-ally-mccoist

Youtube-

Just added your feed to my Podcast Addict app

Cheers for the link

The overhead kick v hibs at the piggery, was right behind it. Think he’d been out injured for months with a broken leg and came on as a sub. Pulled it back to 1-1 after being 1 down I think then super popped up as he does with that goal. Liked the header he scored from Gazza’s cross against the tims at the piggery too.

He was incredible for us gave so many moments of sheer joy
memory’s of who you were at the game with nights out on the lash after his latest bit of genuine classic goal scoring he was at the very top of his game for season after season for Rangers

Pick one moment? Impossible...

Game I was at: As others have said, the League Cup final overhead kick.

Game I wasn't at: Leeds away, what a goal.

Outside of Rangers: Met him at the WC final in Berlin in 06 and he was brand new with me, stopped to talk to me for what seemed like ages, because he heard my accent!

Meeting him and Mo Johnston on the Champs-Elysees back in 1989 the day before Scotland got gubbed 3-0 by France.
The Semi Final goal when down to 10 men.

1-0 down to the sheep Aitken volley, Ally playing awful and booked. We come out second half with goals from Durrant, Ally and Miko but Ally was great 2nd half. Always loved this game for Durrant's goal and assist for Ally but Ally was excellent 2nd half.

Played with him for 3 years in Vets football. He's just the same as you see him on telly, mad as a brush and Rangers daft.

My all time hero.

Picking just 1 is almost impossible but if I had a gun to my gonads I’d pick his diving header against Leeds at Elland Road to guarantee qualification to the first ever Champions League.

Not my favourite but loved his celebration at tynecastle when he pulled a face as if it was a big grin. Was only young at the time and thought it was hilarious.

So so many great goals and celebrations. The Hibs final was Super Ally in a nutshell. Just back from his worst injury in his career, and an overhead kick to get the winner.
His diving header v Leeds has to be up there too.
When you see his celebrations, every one of them meant the world to him. A true Rangers legend.

SCSF 98. That celebration gives me goosebumps everytime I watch it.

He also scored a double against Falkirk on my first ever visit to Ibrox, so obviously that sticks out in my mind too

My favourite memory, through on goal at the Rangers end at the Piggery, drawing Bonner out, putting him on his arse, rounding him and slotting into the net, then jumping the hoardings to take the acclaim of 20,000 Bears (myself included).

Probably season 86/87 when we finally saw what a great goal scorer he was when surrounded by a higher quality of teammates.

Probably season 86/87 when we finally saw what a great goal scorer he was when surrounded by a higher quality of teammates.
He was the league's top scorer the season before, in a dismal Rangers team who lost more games than they won and just scraped 5th place.

I dread to think how that season would have went if we hadn't had a great goal scorer.

My favourite memory, through on goal at the Rangers end at the Piggery, drawing Bonner out, putting him on his arse, rounding him and slotting into the net, then jumping the hoardings to take the acclaim of 20,000 Bears (myself included).
This for me too. The way he ripped the piss out of Bonner is superb. Then he does a mad robot side to side celebration in front of a Rangers end in utter carnage.

30 years ago today!

This is my favourite Ally Goal against that lot

and if anyone is in any doubt what playing for Rangers meant to him i think this sums it up

The second one is my favourite Ally goal against the scum and maybe my favourite Rangers goal ever. I think it's the raw emotion that does it for me and I'd love to know what big Gough said to him.

Davie Robertson sent off in first 6 minutes at Hamden on the wettest night ever. Super Ally gets one sniff and slots a slider past PB. . Scenes....

Came on to say the overhead kick against Hibs and glad a few agree. Just back after months out from a leg break playing against Portugal where Scotland got tanked.

We toiled up front that day and Smith looked to his talisman off the bench.

He didn't disappoint.

A true legend.

The goals for the most part but 2 times of meeting him under very different circumstances demonstrated the man.

First one was outside Ibrox when I was about 14/15 getting autographs and McCoist was mobbed by people but made sure he signed everyone’s book, paper, top etc and gave everyone a smile, and made sure everyone was safely on the pavement before he started and was generally just considerate of who was around him and why.

Second one was in the Garage after the Scottish Cup semi in 1996 after he scored in the win. Him & McInnes were out - blazers and everything and me & my mates had a chat & a laugh with them for 5 minutes or so.
They told us that Walter Smith had sent them out with steam coming out of their ears and that there was no doubt of Rangers not winning that day as a result.

2 very different sets of circumstances but in each of them, McCoist was respectful enough towards the Rangers fans who adored him.

I have one removed as well actually... after he had retired, my mates was doing boxing training with him up in EK and he said that McCoist was the most utterly determined trainer and as he’d as nails in the face of being asked to push himself physically. Totally focussed when it mattered but, as you would imagine, great for not when it was time to relax and joke around.

Mine’s is off the park. Ally chatted to my young son outside Ibrox and gave him his autograph. Great day for a 9 year old!

Mine’s is off the park. Ally chatted to my young son outside Ibrox and gave him his autograph. Great day for a 9 year old!
Likewise, mines is off the park also, was in a local cafe down in Kelvingrove, was in there with my 6 month old son, my missus, and he was in their with a couple of pals, he couldn't but not start talking to us about our wee boy sat in the high chair. A top bloke.

Daft I know, but convincing him to stand for a photo with me at the dugout when we played ICT in the cup in 2015.

Or being pished and hugging him twice when I saw him at Hipsway's gig at the Bandstand a couple of years back.

Was awestruck to meet my boyhood hero.

The Scottish cup semi final goal 1998 is my favourite ever rangers goal. Just everything about it is brilliant.

have been lucky enough to meet him on a few occasions and he really is a great guy. Always has time for you and has a way of making you feel like he is interested in you.

Scottish League cup final 1983-84 hat trick against them. 2 up, back to 2-2 then extra time winner. Mo Johnstone crossing himself being subbed nearly caused a riot, what a brilliant day.

Hard to argue against the comeback overhead kick v Hibs, or the Leeds away goal, but I will try with the bullet header v Dynamo Kiev in the greatest atmosphere I have ever enjoyed at Ibrox...at least until 55 comes around the end of April 21!

So many moments to pick from, great to see the comments about him off the field though. Really is a great ambassador for the club I think

My Dad met him in a hotel in Glasgow and got him to phone me as a 10 year old laddie. Completely starstruck and didn't know what to say. Didn't fully believe it until I saw the photo of them both after it got developed.

Not my favourite but loved his celebration at tynecastle when he pulled a face as if it was a big grin. Was only young at the time and thought it was hilarious.

Iirc this was a Monday night league cup tie. He was also wearing 10 for some reason.

Back