What a season tavs having

He has improved in defence but that probably comes with not having Kiernan and Wilson beside him and having a propert defensive midfielder to assist when he bombs forward.

Tav - 16 app, 2 goals, 6 assists.
Tierney - 22 apps, 2 goals, 4 assists

I like tav probably one of the fittest guy in the team and is a great footballer and has defo improved defensively but there is still room for improvement.

Both have similar attacking stats in terms of chances created, passes into the final third, etc. Tav has significantly more assists though so you could give him the edge there.

Tierney has slightly better defensive stats but Tav's are still pretty good.

He has improved in defence but that probably comes with not having Kiernan and Wilson beside him and having a propert defensive midfielder to assist when he bombs forward.

Tav - 16 app, 2 goals, 6 assists.
Tierney - 22 apps, 2 goals, 4 assists

Very good point.

I’d say he has been our most consistent performer so far.

Still nowhere near good enough defensively for me. Not jumping for headers and falls asleep at the back post too much.

Going forward there's no doubting he is an asset.

Weird. Have a look in the match thread each week and it's pitchforks out and post after post asking to have him axed or punted.

His consistency is where he is let down, I just wish he would get played in one position and stay there. From the first season he was here he never looked like a right back yet always gets put there and then told to play out of position. We need to buy a proper right back and allow Tav to play a sweeper type role where he seems most comfortable.

Defensively he's definitely improved in terms of his physical strength and with one v one situations. It's his positional sense that's still needing to be worked on. Even when we have the ball, he needs to be more aware of where his man is for when we lose possession. He still seems to be all over the place at times when teams go on the counter attack against us.

Ball watching is not a good skill for a full back. I think he is being less effective attacking wise because last year he had no one in front of him.

He gets slaughtered on here a lot of the time, I feel like he's the type of player who won't be properly appreciated until he's gone.

He's great going forward and we all know he's no Maldini at the back, but I don't think he's as bad as people make out (this season). You'd think he was costing us goals every week the way some people go on.

Tav is quality. Go and watch a YouTube compilation of him then Teirney and you’ll be in no doubt who the far, far, far better player is.

People always forget that by the time he loses his man on the back post, that's because the ball has been sent down the left, the left back has allowed the cross in, it's evaded the goalkeeper who's stuck to his line and both CB's. He can improve that part of his game, no doubt but to single him out in these goals is at times harsh, especially since it's normally on a counter attack after he's been up the park and whipped a ball in.

Some of his cross balls are ridiculous. Is there any reason why he stopped taking free kicks?

Weird. Have a look in the match thread each week and it's pitchforks out and post after post asking to have him axed or punted.

His consistency is where he is let down, I just wish he would get played in one position and stay there. From the first season he was here he never looked like a right back yet always gets put there and then told to play out of position. We need to buy a proper right back and allow Tav to play a sweeper type role where he seems most comfortable.

Sweeper role? Eh?

I can only remember him playing one position since he got here and that has been right back.

People always forget that by the time he loses his man on the back post, that's because the ball has been sent down the left, the left back has allowed the cross in, it's evaded the goalkeeper who's stuck to his line and both CB's. He can improve that part of his game, no doubt but to single him out in these goals is at times harsh, especially since it's normally on a counter attack after he's been up the park and whipped a ball in.

Some of his cross balls are ridiculous. Is there any reason why he stopped taking free kicks?

Alves and Candeias both demonstrated they can hit them too

He should have been removed from free kicks long before he was.

They are absolutely dreadful.

Bar a couple in a few years, his attempts are rancid.

I was a bit surprised last night reading the Transfer Target thread how many people had a new right back as a priority. Tav takes too much stick on here

Candeias helps Tav a lot defensively, so does Jack and Cardoso. Any improvement has to be seen in that context AND relative to how poor he's been in the last two seasons at the back.

I'm never going to be comfortable with him in the team as a RB but you can't deny his value going forward when he's on form.

Alves and Candeias both demonstrated they can hit them too

Actually curious to check this out and came back with the following;

Candeias has scored 2 free kicks his whole career, 1 with us.
Alves has scored 6, 1 with us.
Tav is on 7, 5 with us.

I don't think he gets the credit he deserves
Haven't checked but I'd hazard a guess his stats at this stage are better than "wonder boy" tierney
He is a Shit defender who every teaminscotlan
His concentration levels defensively do still drop on a regular basis.
He is shit at defending eve
He should have been removed from free kicks long before he was.

They are absolutely dreadful.

Bar a couple in a few years, his attempts are rancid.
Every manager in Scotland knows how bad a dengender he is and set their teàms up accordingly knowing he has cost us countless goals by not covering his back post he is quite simply our biggest liability.

He's not good enough for us, he's one of these players who will do 1 great thing followed by 10 mistakes.
The stats provided in this thread, prove that not to be the case.

It’s incredible really when you liken the stats to the wonder kid and his profile that they built up over this season so far. Yes it helps that he is doing it on the European stage but it just goes to show you how having a compliant Media onside helps matters.

He has Improved Defensively this Season due to playing with Better players around him and he has a very good Understanding formed with Candeias which is doing so well at moment you cant change it.
Teams tend to play down our other side as that is weaker at the moment.
That shows you the Improvement made.
A bit more Awareness when the Crosses are coming in from the other side and if worked on would cut out some off the silly goals conceded.
Better player than last Season tho.

Actually curious to check this out and came back with the following;

Candeias has scored 2 free kicks his whole career, 1 with us.
Alves has scored 6, 1 with us.
Tav is on 7, 5 with us.

That is very interesting to be fair, never realised it was as low as that. Theres no doubt they can hit them as they have both shown but im surprised that they actually got given a chance with stats like that compared to Tav.

I’m not 100% sure he has improved. I’m more inclined to say that he is more free to play his game, given the signings we’ve made. Have guys like Alves and Jack cover him helps.

Tav gets way too much stick. He's actually reasonably solid defensively and his only real weakness is when he's tracking back or marking with the ball on the other side of the pitch. He's good 1v1, his tackling is good, he blocks a lot of crosses. Put all that together with the fact he's outstanding going forward and he's a pretty good all-round RB.

I'm sure I read that he's well on pace to set a new record for assists by a full back in one season. (I think he's on 6 currently, which was what he managed all season last year)

Has had a very good season, last Wednesday aside when I thought he was poor.

Back to his best against Hearts last Saturday.

Him and Wes were Warburton's best signings by an absolute mile.

Tav could score fifty goals this season and people would be saying we need a new RB as a matter of priority. I genuinely have no idea what the boy needs to do to be accepted by some.

Wes, Tav, Morelos.

The only three names that have a permanent place on the team sheet for me.

Tav gets way too much stick. He's actually reasonably solid defensively and his only real weakness is when he's tracking back or marking with the ball on the other side of the pitch. He's good 1v1, his tackling is good, he blocks a lot of crosses. Put all that together with the fact he's outstanding going forward and he's a pretty good all-round RB.

I'm sure I read that he's well on pace to set a new record for assists by a full back in one season. (I think he's on 6 currently, which was what he managed all season last year)

Sorry - I was wrong slightly. The top fullback had 6 assists last year and Tav already has 5 this year which was his total for the whole season last year.

You'd think after the likes of Foster our fans would appreciate Tavernier.

I certainly do, and he is nowhere near as bad defensively as is being made out.

That is very interesting to be fair, never realised it was as low as that. Theres no doubt they can hit them as they have both shown but im surprised that they actually got given a chance with stats like that compared to Tav.

Has Tav even scored a free kick since we've been back in the top league? Can't honestly remember him scoring one, most of them must have been in the championship against absolutely drivel goalkeepers.

Has Tav even scored a free kick since we've been back in the top league? Can't honestly remember him scoring one, most of them must have been in the championship against absolutely drivel goalkeepers.

He scored one against Kilmarnock at the start of last season that's the only one I can think of.

Tav is good going forward and has had a few cracking assists this season.

He is still poor defensively though and will continue to cost us goals.

Tav has blocked 60% of crosses attempted from his side which is the highest in the league.
I am shocked at that stat but pleasantly surprised, my gripe is the amount of times he's caught out of position though, hence being caught out at the back post a lot when we concede(others at fault also).
He has improved this year defensively but like others have said still not good enough, I would prefer him wide right as he does the attacking side of things really well.

Good player who has improved this season but he’s always suspect with a diagonal ball over the top of him.

Me either mate. I'd think Alves would be in a team full of decent takers to be honest, possibly why his are at 6. Dorrans has 5 to his name for other comparisons, same as Kranjcar.

Worth adding, 7 in his career so far isn't so bad.
Beckham scored 27 in his career, 7 in the USA.
C. Ronaldo currently has 43. Messi has 28.

What would be acceptable / standard for a 25 year olds free kick goals (being the consistent taker) at this stage of his career?

Last edited:
A lot of praise on here for Tav. Must be worth 30 mil plus if he's got the edge on Tierney. Thats all our money problems solved then for the next couple of transfer windows. Just punt Tav. I mean the cream of the EPL will be fighting over him.

Back