What age to take a kid to first game ?

The 1872 Bear

When would be a good age to take the wee one to her first game? She’s about to turn 7 and has been asking to go for past few months.

The wife is TOTALLY against it, due to language and “songs” (nothing she hasn’t probably heard from me), but thinking if I take her to a B team game or a less high profile home game she should be fine.

Any hints and tips from fellow parents who take young kids to games would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
When would be a good age to take the wee one to her first game? She’s about to turn 7 and has been asking for passed few months.

The wife is TOTALLY against it, due to language and “songs” but thinking if I take her to a B team game or a less high profile home game she should be fine.

Any hints and tips from fellow parents who take young kids to games would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Probably the right age mate.
My tip would be to make a memorable day for the kid. Take some sweets, buy her a scarf, drink and snacks. Choice/time of game is important.
Explain beforehand that during the match some fans can lose the plot and have a laugh with her if this happens.
Hope all goes well!

My tip would be to make a memorable day for the kid. Take some sweets, buy her a scarf, drink and snacks. Choice/time of game is important.
Explain beforehand that during the match some fans can lose the plot and have a laugh with her if this happens.
Hope all goes well!
Much better and more considered advice than mine! I've no kids TBF, although that'll change in July. Can't wait to have a similar problem!

If you or your partner have doubts then trust your instinct to begin with.

Try B games and Women games initially to see if she enjoys it. You don’t want to take her to a first team game, she gets a bad experience and puts her off going back.

I’ve got a 2.5 year old, she has a ST but we haven’t took her yet as obviously way too young. She’s been to a few B games and seemed to enjoy it.

Although 7 is a fair bit older.

Hope all goes well!
Great advice, clearly a parent!

7years old. That's when I was taken to my first match in 1967. Didn't do me any harm :p

Good luck OP and may you have as many happy days at the fitbaw as I have with my son.

Can be a long shift for a youngster, so I’d suggest not trying to squeeze in too many activities before the game.

The excitement of the journey to Ibrox, a circuit round the outside, visit to the shop getting through the turnstyle, food etc - and then the thick end of 2 hours watching a game is a lot to take in.

When the wee soul is still in it's mum's belly, not only do we succeed in getting the mum as an avid supporter but the little darling will be a bluenose like us till the day he/ she dies. WATP, and the more the merrier.

I think age depends on each different child. I have taken my son to a few games this season, he only just turned 5 in October there. Whereas his younger sister definitely won't be ready to go at that age, she has the attention span of a gold fish.

Anytime we go I try and make a day of it. Take him on the train, underground, bit of lunch before it. Now Edmiston House is open that might be an option as well.

Regards the swearing, they'll hear it but i find it's easily enough explained away.

I took my daughter who is 4 to the Spurs game. One of the proudest moments of my life see her wee face light up when she seen the pitch. She was more interested in seeing Broxi "the bear" (will never correct this until she's old enough to learn its just Broxi). She was ok until we scored then got a fright from the roar from the goal and wanted to leave. We bolted at half time but at least we saw Rangers win 1-0 that day.

I have two girls, have taken them a few times now, once together and a few times each just me and either one of them. My youngest fell asleep at her first game aged 3, probably too young for the CD stairs!! I took her last weekend, she’s now almost 5 and was on her seat clapping and shouting this time! My oldest was 4 for her first game, really enjoyed it too. The poster above who mentions making a day of it is spot on. I think my two liked the experience of the football but more loved spending a day with daddy, and it was the same for me. My biggest fear was toilets as they give you about 1 minutes notice from 100% not needing to bursting, have managed to sneak into CD hospitality with them as people are more accomodating when its kids. Have a plan for that one mate although at 7 hopefully it is not so bad.

When would be a good age to take the wee one to her first game? She’s about to turn 7 and has been asking for passed few months.

The wife is TOTALLY against it, due to language and “songs” (nothing she hasn’t probably heard from me), but thinking if I take her to a B team game or a less high profile home game she should be fine.

Thanks.
She'll hear worse in the playground mate.
Get the tickets bought now.

Thanks.
I took my wee girl when she was 4. She loved it.

Tips: don’t go to a midweek game. Full a bams.

Took both my girls at the age of 7. Loved it and haven't looked back.
I was 6 when I was first lifted over the old enclosure turnstiles

Took the wee man to his first game when he was 5, a few games in and he didn't really want to sit for entire match as soon as he turned 6 he couldn't get enough. That was in 2012 and has never looked back

I took my niece and nephew to their first games. Two of the best days of my life. My niece was 4 and a half and loved it. It was a pre season friendly vs Bury a few years ago. She was the perfect age.

I took my nephew the same summer to the Wigan friendly. He was 3 and a half and too wee. He didn’t have the attention span for it and we ended up leaving after about 50 mins.

Almost 7 is a great age. I was 7 when I went to my first game and, almost 27 years later, I go everywhere, anywhere.

I was going from 5
sitting on the wall at the front of the enclosure and being told by the coppers to keep my feet inside the wall about 10 times a game.

Never did me any harm, though my language can be industrial at times now.
Not sure thats down to football mind you.

7 is fine, she will love it.

And you can always get another wife, plenty of internet sites to assist you with that.

Thanks.
I have 4 kids, taken to their first match at different ages, 2, 4, 6 & 7. 2 was difficult the more the match wore on, 4 quite similar. 6 & 7 they seemed more tuned in but both did get bored. Take a tablet or phone with games, videos etc downloaded so you don't need to rely on the Internet and a pair of headphones. This will help during any periods of boredom she may have. Also as some have pointed out take sweets and snacks etc. Make it fun and don't go in too early.

Took my wee girl to a summer friendly when she had just turned 4, she enjoyed the day out but obviously wasnt really interested in the game but had plenty snacks and brought her tablet and was happy enough.

My wee boys 2 so will probably do something similar but for them to actually take in the game etc I think 6-7 is probably a good age.

I think I was 7 for my first game. Against the Sheep.

I’ve still to take my kids to Ibrox. My daughter will be 7 in June, and my boy has just turned 5.

I’m thinking a pretty season game this summer. Only issue is we have a two year old, and I would love us to all go and see Rangers together. My wife in the last few years has really bought into Rangers as well for the sake of the kids. But I think her and the youngest will have to make do elsewhere while I take the other two.

I really can’t wait though. I always remember being absolutely amazed going to Ibrox when I was younger, the size of it is was incredible.

Taking my daughter to her first game on Saturday. She is 8. I have never encouraged it. I let her choose her own path.

A couple of weeks ago as I was taking her to school I asked her what football team people in her class support. She said “I am the only one who supports Rangers”. (We live in Edinburgh). On the back of that I decided to take her this weekend and do the Edmiston House fanzone as well.

Seven seems about the right age. The only advice I could add would be wait until we have better weather. It could be the best game ever but if she's freezing she might not want to go back.

Hope all goes well!
Don’t forget that kids can get bored easily when sitting for nearly 2 hours take an i pad to kill the time when they get bored

I took my daughter who is 4 to the Spurs game. One of the proudest moments of my life see her wee face light up when she seen the pitch. She was more interested in seeing Broxi "the bear" (will never correct this until she's old enough to learn its just Broxi). She was ok until we scored then got a fright from the roar from the goal and wanted to leave. We bolted at half time but at least we saw Rangers win 1-0 that day.
Wish a done the same

Did you enjoy it @theweeman ? Must be a while back now? Fond memories for you both
He will be 17 this year, and we have had the best times ever, from coming up through the leagues, the European nights, winning 55 etc.

The crazy thing is he is yet to see a normal league win where we are in the ground with 55 being affected by Covid. Taking that away though we have shared more hugs than we ever would have if it wasn't for Rangers :D

Last edited:
My only rule was that they had to be able to sit and watch a full game on the TV without getting bored and buggering off to do other things.

My son must have been just turned 7 when he went to his first match.
My daughter is 8 and bursting to go but scheduling means it’ll be tricky this season - hoping for a pre-season match in July that I can bring them both to, otherwise it’ll be something early into next season.

I’d heard too many stories from my mates of kids going along but wanting to spend the time on their IPad or going down for crisps every 5 minutes.
My son is now 12 and he & I watch most game a together - he’s great company for a match and goes up at least once a season.

Took mine when she was 4 to the marseille friendly. She loved it, wee bit scared everytime we scored though. Her favourite bit was getting a broxi toy from the pop up shop lol

Took my youngest at 5 years old and he struggled to sit and ended up taking him out at half time.

About 6 months later I tried again and bribed him with a bag of sweets from the guys table at main/Broomloan corner, he got one every time the clock hit a multiple of 10 mins, this seemed to work and I took him out after about 74 mins.

Another 6 months or so and he was absolutely fine. Comprehension of the game far better, the routine of the sweets and he was also playing football at a decent standard then too so had favourites in the team to look out for as well.

Kids are all very different and nobody knows your kid better than you. I think if you go in with a realistic goal of say making it to 50 mins etc and belief it won’t be a perfect match day for them straight away you will be fine. Be patient and Build up some match day experience and you will get there sooner or later.

The Leverkusen friendly type games are perfect for families. It was the first game I got both my boys to and it was a great day out for us all.

I wouldn't force it on my weans if I had any, but if they're asking then take them. It's a no brainer- I was four when I got took to the Glasgow cup against Clyde then again at Ibrox against Osasuna.

I think for all the faults rangers have when it comes to us fans, they do cater for the families.

7 is a great age to start, lots of great advise above on making a day of it etc.

Don't take any of her wee pals though, I did that with my wee boy, took his wee pal along and it was hard work after about 30 minutes in. Once they get their heads round the noise and spectacle they get bored very quickly.

Hope all goes well!
let her pick a pin badge also OP for her scarf - memento of her first game

7 years old is old enough for a first game against teams such as St Johnstone and Ross County etc.Partick Thistle might be a good one,a big away section adds to the atmosphere.
She will hopefuly remember it for the rest of her life.It's a good age, big events have that special touch of magic.As someone one else suggested a scarf, programme and a big bag of sweets or such like will mark the occassion well.
I wouldn't worry too much about the atmosphere being unruly or the songs.
A bit of preparation could be of use and a simple explanation of it can be noisy and some people can get excited and use bad language should be enough.I wouldn't dwell on this tbh.

Both of my kids have went from an early age, and it can change from game to game on how interested they are.

My son (8yr) hears a lot of the language, just with the amount of games he has now been to, but just need to give him a wee nudge if he stats to sing something, but with a lot of the swearing, he already a knows it isn't language he should use.

Some little games on your phone, a bite to eat beforehand, not too much liquid, although you will undoubtedly have to make a couple of journeys (sometimes just out of curiosity, as they want to explore), couple of snacks, and definitely try and take them to the shop beforehand to buy a scarf, they will use it for the rest of their life. Try and get a paper ticket, programme, and a photo of you two at the gates, then get it framed.

Sadly, my daughter had been to a few home games, and my son to a few away games, we went as a family to see us play livingston at their stadium (she had been before), as it is close to us, and was easy to get tickets. Some dafties in our end decided to have a fight, and it put her off, we were even sitting next to Tom Stoletman, who was a gent.

Both of my kids have went from an early age, and it can change from game to game on how interested they are.

My son (8yr) hears a lot of the language, just with the amount of games he has now been to, but just need to give him a wee nudge if he stats to sing something, but with a lot of the swearing, he already a knows it isn't language he should use.

Some little games on your phone, a bite to eat beforehand, not too much liquid, although you will undoubtedly have to make a couple of journeys (sometimes just out of curiosity, as they want to explore), couple of snacks, and definitely try and take them to the shop beforehand to buy a scarf, they will use it for the rest of their life. Try and get a paper ticket, programme, and a photo of you two at the gates, then get it framed.

Sadly, my daughter had been to a few home games, and my son to a few away games, we went as a family to see us play livingston at their stadium (she had been before), as it is close to us, and was easy to get tickets. Some dafties in our end decided to have a fight, and it put her off, we were even sitting next to Tom Stoletman, who was a gent.
Tom Stoltman is brilliant with kids at games. And he’s someone they will never forget as he is an absolute giant of a man. I showed my kids the worlds strongest man tv coverage at new year and they were all amazed as it was someone they knew and had pics with at Ibrox

Taking my daughter to her first game on Saturday. She is 8. I have never encouraged it. I let her choose her own path.

A couple of weeks ago as I was taking her to school I asked her what football team people in her class support. She said “I am the only one who supports Rangers”. (We live in Edinburgh). On the back of that I decided to take her this weekend and do the Edmiston House fanzone as well.
I live in Edinburgh too, my 7 year old daughter doesn’t really care too much about football, but I’ve always said we’re Rangers fans in this house. She hates being told she’s a Rangers fan and as Hearts is closer she should support them, but I just say no one is telling you anything it’s in your blood. She just doesn’t like being told what she’s doing! Reality is she will never be interested, my 5 year son is well on board! Hope you have a great day, a proud moment!

Mine were all around 7 I think. My daughters first was the Bristol City away game, was a scorcher. Two sons weren’t so lucky as pictures have them with hats and gloves on.

I took my oldest boy when he was 5 . He was OK for about 1st 30 mins then starting getting bored. Luckily I took his tablet so he just watched that till end of the game. As people above have said try make it memorable buy a scarf, maybe a McDonald's or something before the game as well. Take sweets in to.the ground with you. I would say 7 is a good age .

My daughter was 8 when I took her to Ibrox for her first game, for weeks after the game she would walk about the house singing Penny Arcade :))

Planning on taking my boy when he is 7. Though thinking a friendly game when he's around 5 if the right preseason game is on

Take him walks around Ibrox and days like today we are going to the new shop and blue sky lounge for food to start his immersion and get him asking to go

Tell your wife to shut her cake hole for a start.

Family stand has plenty of kids. 7 years old is more than old enough.
I actually burst out laughing at your first sentence , superb.

I took both my son and daughter to their first game when they were about 4 or 5 just as a one off.I started taking them properly when they were about 8.

Took my daughter when she was 5 and loved it, brought my wife along aswell just in case the child started playing up which she didn't. Need to trust your judgement on your child as some kids are just too hyper with a low attention span and could be irritating to yourself and others around you. My dad took me when I was 8.

Back