What an anti climax that was before the game

Honestly who cares.

We're almost in October after what's been a fairly average start to the season.

It wouldn't have felt right to start letting off fireworks and having flags on every seat for something we achieved in May.

Circumstances meant this flag day was always going to be more subdued.

55 was yesterday's news, I celebrated like a mad man in May.. I didn't have the urge for another big celebration in October.

What i dont get it with this thread is why people are still saying ‘what were people expecting’ or ‘ it was the same as always’ etc etc when there has literally been videos posted of our last flag day and even lower league 1s that completely disprove this and show there was a lot more effort and jazz previously. Just admit your wrong ffs

The whole match day experience at the moment is dreadful, even the atmosphere around the ground has dropped off. I am finding it all a bit boring.

After waiting 10 years for that, it was a complete let down

I can see both sides of this debate. For me, though, this was a missed opportunity.

The feel good factor has completely gone from the club at the moment - from the indifferent form of the team to the continued onslaught from outside. This was evident with the absolute apathy from the stands in a big game against Lyon just a few days ago.

This could have been the opportunity to lift the mood - play some highlights of last season on the big screen, get 55 flags hung from the roof, some fireworks, some build up - anything!

Yes, the team and staff need to focus on the here and now. But the supporters, robbed a bit of being able to celebrate fully last season, deserved a bit more. And the team would probably have benefited from the supporters being lifted.

Last season is done, over. I won´t be thinking about it or celebrating it again at till we´ve won this seasons league.

Given the significance of the title and the shit we have been through I think a bigger deal should have been made of raising the flag.There should have been a build up from 2.30,maybe significant moments from last season shown on the big screens,decent music,former players from previous title winning teams being introduced to the fans.
The flag should have been raised by Stevie G on the centre spot and the flag raising party should have included people who were part of our fightback like Sandy Jardines family,John Brown and others.

Honestly who cares.

It wouldn't have felt right to start letting off fireworks and having flags on every seat for something we achieved in May.

55 was yesterday's news, I celebrated like a mad man in May.. I didn't have the urge for another big celebration in October.

It’s not yesterday’s news though. It’s a record breaking achievement coming out of years without a trophy and more recently a season with no fans in attendance.

It should have been special and the club made it look like they couldn’t be arsed making an effort and it meant nothing. Whether you had the urge or not plenty, especially the kids were looking forward to it. I really feel the club owed the support more.

They were never going to do some big fancy thing right before an important league game given the poor start to the season we've made

If we were absolutely flying, had won every game, qualified for the CL etc I'm sure it would have been a bigger celebration but we're now well & truly into the season and can't keep looking back to last year

I think it’s obvious that the board are happy to do the bare minimum with the least expense spared when it comes to fans entertainment

Just happy to continue to milk us dry with nothing in return.

Remember Bisgrove last season telling us we’d get more than just a stream pass for RTV for our season ticket money? … still waiting

And only last week they had the cheek to charge ST holders money to watch the Relentless video.

Come on surely we could have had some fireworks like we have down for previous flag days.

I've honestly no idea what some folk were expecting today, I found the build up it got pretty baffling. It was the same as "flag day" has always been. It's never really been a thing. The chairman unfurls the league flag, big cheer and applause, game kicks off.

Correct. Id like to see the flag being raised to the roof of one of the stands even though it'd be out of sight for some.

I don't know why Rangers went for a low key approach to the the flag being raised. Seems like they couldn't be bothered organising anything. I thought one of the supporters groups might have arranged their own display but once again nothing. Perhaps because we didn't do it at the first Ibrox game it had lost its meaning?

It was my wee girl's first ever flag day yesterday. She did say she felt emotional...followed by a 'is that it'.

Very underwhelmed.

Reactions: VGM
I feel like people are reminiscing about old flag days differently than I am.

I remember them being raised and you had no idea what flag it was because there was zero wind and most people in the stadium were a bit underwhelmed.

I think it’s obvious that the board are happy to do the bare minimum with the least expense spared when it comes to fans entertainment

Just happy to continue to milk us dry with nothing in return.

Remember Bisgrove last season telling us we’d get more than just a stream pass for RTV for our season ticket money? … still waiting

And only last week they had the cheek to charge ST holders money to watch the Relentless video.
I have to say this pi55ed me off. £500 for a season ticket and never got in to a single match (yes I aware this would probably be the case) but to be asked to pay to see a video of the season highlights felt like the club were taking the piss

Isn't it always just the chairman raising the flag? What did people expect? Fireworks, cheerleaders, a marching band, a fly past from the red arrows? How much excitement can be generated about raising a flag for a title that was won nearly 7 months ago?
Videos already been posted showing 10x more effort given previously. Even when winning diddy leagues.

That's how it's always been. Director comes out, raises the flag then they all go back inside. The trophy presentation is the big deal, "flag day" really is %^*& all and not worth having to be honest.

It’s not yesterday’s news though. It’s a record breaking achievement coming out of years without a trophy and more recently a season with no fans in attendance.

It should have been special and the club made it look like they couldn’t be arsed making an effort and it meant nothing. Whether you had the urge or not plenty, especially the kids were looking forward to it. I really feel the club owed the support more.
I get that it was an iconic season but it 100% is yesterdays news.

We're now 6 league games into our new campaign and full focus should be on 56.. letting off fireworks would have looked and felt stupid.

Perhaps sponsors paid for some of the fireworks etc previously.

No idea tbh, but it was piss poor.

Over it though. Got more important things to focus on.

Last edited:
Couldn't even get somebody to get into the Broxi outfit for the kids! Broxi means everything to very young Rangers fans and some not so young. Poor bear has went awol breaking kids hearts!

I expected something. Anything.

No speech from a director, no fireworks, no effort. Nothing.

surely (and I say this with a massive hint of sarcasm) the management at the club would have sat down and asked a simple question. What would the fans like?

am i wide of the mark here? Or, given the effort of having a flag raising day, they would have made some form of effort.
I waited, begged, prayed, pleaded, asked God, swore I'd do anything etc for 55.
And we got that fkn embarrassing effort.
To say I was deflated is an understament.

I think a thank you to the fans from our chairman or at least a member of the board would've been a nice touch.
Probably due to being rough as i burst out laughing when they wheeled the flag away.
I get all the comments about last season and so on but we have waited a very very long time for that particular flag.
To just wheel it out, run it up then head back in as they're tea was getting cold just didn't feel right.

Who cares really? The league was won 6 months ago - onto the next one.
Maybe dwelling on past success is what is hampering some players this season.
Dont look back, look forward and get the next one in the bag.

I expected something. Anything.

No speech from a director, no fireworks, no effort. Nothing.

surely (and I say this with a massive hint of sarcasm) the management at the club would have sat down and asked a simple question. What would the fans like?

am i wide of the mark here? Or, given the effort of having a flag raising day, they would have made some form of effort.
Told to be in the stadium for 2.45 for a ceremony that took less than a minute and was as flat as the teams display

and your point is? If I had a spare million or two I would happily invest and accept shares - as they have done, more than once
Exactly… they chose to do it, for their (or their heirs) benefits it wasnt some grand donation.
The board making a sound business investment means absolutely zilch in regards to them caring about fans opinions, about our matchday experience, about much to do with us other than our asses on seats.

Exactly… they chose to do it, for their (or their heirs) benefits it wasnt some grand donation.
The board making a sound business investment means absolutely zilch in regards to them caring about fans opinions, about our matchday experience, about much to do with us other than our asses on seats.
Frankly thats rubbish. These guys have saved our club from obliteration. What sound business investment do you think they are making? There is no way they will get their money back unless some other fan with lots of cash buys their shares.
Once you have a basic grasp of accounts perhaps you can come back and apologise to the men who have rescued our club?

Frankly thats rubbish. These guys have saved our club from obliteration. What sound business investment do you think they are making? There is no way they will get their money back unless some other fan with lots of cash buys their shares.
Once you have a basic grasp of accounts perhaps you can come back and apologise to the men who have rescued our club?
IF these businessmen do their jobs correctly, and make us a profitable business year on year, a successful team and a successful business, then the share price they purchased at will be dwarfed by the value the shares should then stand at in years to come. That is basic business, the accounts side I will leave to you - but I would suggest that the amount it cost to hire/fire Warburton, Pedro and his band of misfits, and the subsequent failed challenges to Celtic would also show to have quite a detrimental effect on the bottom line.
These businessmen have made an investment, a sentimental one ? Yes - but an investment none the less that, like any other investment, will either appreciate or depreciate. I thank them for that investment - however it was not a charitable donation (unlike the ST holders donations last year) and I take exception to that notion, regardless of how good their intervention was. To be clear this is not in relation to their acquisition of the club.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: SE5
Honestly who cares.

Yeah, as glorious as it was, the timing, & our lacklustre start to the season made it feel kinda like old news.

In many ways that’s the way it should be for Rangers - we should immediately be focused on the next trophy.

Rangers deserve criticism when it is merited. That 'ceremony' on Sunday was a joke. Now I'm more than aware this is not about me but I personally made a lot of sacrifices about making the game. A lot of things had to be rearranged because it was 'flag day'. So off I went.

Pre match was buzzing about what was going to happen, get in 15 minutes before kick off had you thinking we are maybe going to get 10 minutes of get it up ye pomp, you know, to celebrate what is widely regarded as our best and most satisfying championship win.

I was adamant Walter Smith would be there? He was recently at a golf day ffs did anyone ask him? He would have blown the roof off Ibrox.

To be met with what was akin to Douglas Park unveiling a SALE sign above a BMW was an embarrassment and a massive let down. FFS the players weren't even on the pitch. There is a bit of a malaise going on right now and it is becoming more evident by the week.

Get it sorted Rangers.

It was my wee girl's first ever flag day yesterday. She did say she felt emotional...followed by a 'is that it'.

Very underwhelmed.
While understanding the Manager's thinking. Flag day was a big thing for my 10 year old (and probably anyone under 14) who have not seen Rangers win a major trophy. He was disappointed after the build up. Being old I've seen it plenty so was not bothered- more about the result.

It was strange they didn't even show it on the big screens.They could have had a build up showing highlights and celebrations from last season before unfurling the flag.
Plus you just know that the flag pole they used would have had Renault or a Dacia flag on it the day before

Back