What are the Rangers / Rangers players links to your hometown or town you live that fascinate you?

Live in the Wee Prime Minister Ian McMillan’s home town of Airdrie, although I’ve never seen him. Did see Alex McDonald around when he managed the Diamonds.
Thought Jock “Tiger” Shaw was from here but according to Wiki he came from Annathill which is nearby. Willie Henderson is from my in-laws village up the road.

William Wilton sadly perished when he fell into the water coming off a boat in bad weather in Cardwell Bay in Gourock.
Didn't know this one. I drink in the Cardwell bar. My dad was a Morton supporter and he tells me Kai Johansson, Erik and Jorn Sorensen and the late Joe Mason all moved from Morton to us late 60s early 70s. Then Brian Reid and Derek Mcinnes followed later.

Billy Urquhart was born in my home city of Inverness.

Am pretty sure I was at the Caley v Gers friendly after which he then signed for us.
Yes that’s the case, Billy Urquhart scored a hat trick that day and was signed after the game by John Greig.

Both young boys who played last night come from Barmulloch, the boy Kennedy and Patterson, not 100% about the boy Patterson though need it verified.

I stay in the same village as where Jock Wallace was born and bred!... We are of good stock round these parts. Also, The guy who used to clean my car was the great great grandson of Mr Struth !... I kid you not.

Last edited:
The 1881 census shows that my Gt grandfather lived in the same street as Rangers' Kinning Park Ground. Finding this was not helped by the street name changes when KP became part of Glasgow or the widely used plan of the ground which gives the street name incorrectly as Broomhill St rather than Broomhall St.

I've been told Kai Johannsen lived on the same street as I grew up at in Mansewood on the South side, he lived in the big houses and I was in the council end! Fraser Wishart also grew up in Mansewood.

Growing up in Ayr, played 5s at the Dam Park. The wee guy that ran it and.helped train and develop the boys was Johnny Hubbard.

Remember being there when I found out Souness had been appointed manager and all the boys were buzzing.

Johnny Hubbard was a gentleman. I never appreciated he was a legend at the time although my Dad told me about his Rangers career.

A relation of Alex McDonald(brother? Guy was his spitting image) stayed two streets away from me He took me and my mate into his house one day and his whole wall had pics of him and Doddie on it with various trophies including a treble.

Later years saw him wandering about with a guitar pished singing Hearts songs when AM left us to go to Hearts to join the late great Sandy jardine

God knows whatever happened to him he was certainly a character ...never forgave him for the farts song tho

Sam English was born in a wee place called Blackhill, just outside my home town in county Londonderry. It's one of those wee 'blink and you'd miss it' type places. Im not sure its even sign posted.
I drive past it every day, along with hundreds, maybe thousands of other people, many of whom would be Rangers supporters.
I've no idea how many of them know Sam was born there

Being a Coleraine man myself, this for me.

My sister was a member of Blackhill Accordion Band about 25 years ago too.

I’m not from Troon but used to teach there. In recent years Jamie Ness, Alan Hutton, Tam Brighton and Tom Walsh have all came through the school. Pretty sure Neil Murray did too.

Pretty impressive from such a rugby orientated school.

I’m sure someone from Troon will confirm this soon and maybe add a few. Stevie Nicol is the most famous...although not a bear.

Did the reserves use Creamery Park, home of Bathgate Thistle for a while?

Maybe I just dreamt this because it’s over 30 miles to Ibrox.

So if not that, I’m with @Laudo and @ellis1873 and Scottie Arfield.
Yes Rangers used a lot of junior parks out our way used Linlithgow Roses park last I think spent many a good Monday night there .Seen Barry as a kid and he looked every inch the player he became . Davie Dodds was the kids coach then and Rangers played a lot of first teamers coming back from injury remember one night in particular paid the usual pound to get in and Barry , Trevor Stevens , and Gazza I think in midfield with Sally and a young player called Rory loy or something like that we looked exceptional think he ended up at Falkirk .
When Sally got subbed the kids mobbed him when he came off think he ended up with only his pants and boots on .Great days

One of the victims of the Ibrox Disaster, the international match one, buried in the Parish Church in my home village.

Steven Naismith grew up round the corner from where I did years earlier, and lived almost directly opposite where Jim McLuskey the referee lived. I'll leave you all to decide which of them was the real Ranger.

Colin Jackson lived in Rutherglen when we were younger we used to go & look at his front door & sometimes touch it. My mate said he was a taxi driver in Rutherglen/Cambuslang

Delivered papers to Tommy Mclean and Willie Mclean ( ex Motherwell Manager) and their dad who all lived within a stone's throw of each other in Ashgill near Larkhall. Tommy,s dad was the village baker and many a cold morning after the last paper was delivered I would sit in the bakehouse hearing the stories from his dad while scoffing a pie straight from the oven.

Also Ashgill is where Hugh Burns grew up although he was four or five years younger than me. John McStay who was on the recieving end of big Dunc's headbutt lived in the next village.

Where I live now we have a road called Walter Tull way who was signed by Rangers however was killed in the first world war. Glen Middleton played his schoolboy football in the same league as my son although Glen is a few years older.

Last edited:
Mark Hateley, Brian Laudrup, Walter Smith, Basil Boli, Joachim Bjorklund, Jorg Albertz, Eric Bo Anderson, Bobby Brown and Tommy Muller Nielson all lived in my home town.
Derek Parlane is the most famous player from it though.

Johnny Hubbard's son was at the same junior school as me, a year below me back in 1961. As Johnny starred for Bury in their div 3 Championship winning team of 60/61.

Most famous connection is that Walter Smith was born in my town, before moving through to Carmyle - I think he still has some extended family here.

I also live next to one of our former youth players, Charlie Telfer (and him and his family are pretty staunch).

Ian Redford used to coach my primary school team for a while. He grew up just outside my village in Perthshire.
I also used to own a flat that was once owned by Scott Symon.

I grew up in Dumbreck in the south side of Glasgow. I believe a certain Mr.Struth lived there and would walk to Ibrox every day.

Played against George Niven many years ago when he stayed in a near by village. His grandson grow up next door to us and played in the same side as my son- he was also a keeper

Grew up with Davis and his wife in Cullybackey.. Still keep in touch. What a humble wee family that dont forget their roots.

Back