What chances for the season finishing now

The Goal Machine

With the upsurge in cases and crowds almost certain not to be in stadiums for maybe 6 months I honestly think that it will not.

The chances are that clubs will go to the wall. We are already seeing cases of coronavirus in clubs all over the UK.

The upsurge in cases yesterday in Scotland was dramatic, 600 students self isolating in Glasgow University, 1000 in Scotland.

We need a vaccine and quickly. No definite sign of that really.

As far as the Government is concerned Professional Football is way down the list of priorities.

With the upsurge in cases and crowds almost certain not to be in stadiums for maybe 6 months I honestly think that it will not.

The chances are that clubs will go to the wall. We are already seeing cases of coronavirus in clubs all over the UK.

The upsurge in cases yesterday in Scotland was dramatic, 600 students self isolating in Glasgow University, 1000 in Scotland.

As far as the Government is concerned Professional Football is way down the list of priorities.
I bet your a bundle of joy at a party

You would like to think that with all the testing and safety measures now in place that the games can continue behind closed doors, I have given up any hope of fans being back in this season.

If clubs go bust then the league should continue with the other clubs

The almost daily thread on this.

I would be astonished if the season isn’t completed, in fact I would say with great certainty that it will be.

Well we need to make sure that we are top before they call the league then...
Cant remember all of last season's bollocks but the league needs to be played to around 75% completion for it to be "awarded". Might be off before then. Which would then create much bigger problems in terms of finance rather than what is happening on the field of play. I am going glass almost full on this and that the season will be completed without breaks.

I'll be very pleased if the league is played to a conclusion, but I'll be surprised if fans are allowed in to watch any games in any sizable numbers.

I'll be amazed if the Scottish and League Cups are played in full this season, far less last seasons cup.

It’ll be finished

As long as teams stick to their rules, games will be played. Any team that goes bust, hopefully it’s one we’ve dropped points to and we’re awarded a 3-0 victory.

Even I don't think the SPFL would call the league . Financially, all TV money would have be refunded, and with no crowds, no income for most. SFA need this year and next years Cup to go ahead.
Mind you, with current league positions, Rangers and Celtic into CL,Hibs and Aberdeen into EL, Livi relegated, most clubs would vote it through.

Professional football will be fine, but lower down could get ridiculous, especially if they have a number of players isolating. Grassroots going ahead with new seasons is ambitious imo.

You would like to think that with all the testing and safety measures now in place that the games can continue behind closed doors, I have given up any hope of fans being back in this season.

I totally agree, I don't think it would be very wise to close everything down when there is stringent testing in place to keep players and staff safe.

It would also close down any opportunity for the clubs to get some revenues etc and would see clubs go out of business.

We had freshers week. But clearly it's household gatherings that are the problems rather than pubs and alcohol...

As far as football is concerned, we lost the chance to mothball this season. We need to proceed with whatever we can because the new Sky deal kicked in, clubs across all divisions in Scotland have assembled squads and there's now financial obligations in place for at least the 20/21 season.

Lower league teams have been given streaming equipment in order to charge fans for access to live streams of Saturday afternoon matches. Thats going to be the norm over at least the top 4 leagues this season. Clubs will need to find ways of mitigating the loss of ancillary matchday income and hope that enough fans pay for streams to keep things going.

I think you've made that up. Although to be fair to you that's exactly what Doncaster & co did last season.
I hope its a completely moot point. Football is about the only thing to look forward to at the moment. If it wasnt getting played what the hell do you for entertainment?

As it stands the filth would win the league on points per game. I have no idea if the season will finish tbh
Can you really imagine a league being awarded after 8 games? There wouldn't be a fukn asterisk big enough! Sure it was mooted that a minimum % of games needed to be played before the league could be called?
Personally I think the season will be completed. The current restrictions and uncertainty cannot go on, or be allowed to go on, indefinitely. There's going to need to come a time, in the not too distant future, when we have to accept we'll need to live with this virus, just like we do with all other viruses and get back to normality. A vaccine is not going make it magically disappear, any more than the flu vaccine eradicates that.

You originally posted professional sport. Not outdoor sport.

Also - horse racing? No crowds still at UK race courses and likely none for the foreseeable.

I meant outdoor sport obviously.

No crowds is not the same as being cancelled.

Precisely. The precendent has been set. We need to treat every single game as a cup final and do whatever it takes to win each match.
This is actually 100% spot on and the reason why we must try to ensure results like Sundays do not happen. The table as it stands right now would probably give them the league.

It won't happen when we're top of the league unless there has been a change in the rules to ensure it becomes void

The season will be played to a finish, however our title party might be a bit dulled down!.
Admire your optimism and confidence mate but I have never been more convinced than now that we won't be allowed to win the league this season. By hook or by crook and it will get worse if we are neck and neck.
Liverpool would struggle to finish top if they were in our league.

Is caronavirus really much worse than it’s been or are they just testing a lot more ? The last time there was around 600 cases per day there was 100s of deaths and 1000s in hospital , now there no deaths and around 80 in hospital ? The season will surely get played out I really can’t see any further closing of the economy

Just get everything open and back to normal. We now know who's most at risk. They can carry out measures to protect themselves. Destroying the economy and everyone's lives is now a massive overreaction. No need to end the season or even still have behind closed doors games.

It will depend who is top of the league when it's called quits, I think we all know that.

Let’s be clear if it goes to vote this time clubs won’t side with the cabal as they can’t afford too give up a shed load more money for non fulfilment of tv contract won’t happen this time no chance

Is caronavirus really much worse than it’s been or are they just testing a lot more ? The last time there was around 600 cases per day there was 100s of deaths and 1000s in hospital , now there no deaths and around 80 in hospital ? The season will surely get played out I really can’t see any further closing of the economy
i read in march yesterday, when the UK had the 6000 cases a day average in the spring it was from roughly 25000 tests a day, we are now at 6000 from 250,000 tests. People start shitting themselves looking at the number of cases instead of hospitalisations, ICU and deaths

Let’s be clear if it goes to vote this time clubs won’t side with the cabal as they can’t afford too give up a shed load more money for non fulfilment of tv contract won’t happen this time no chance
Dont kid yourself on mate, these clubs dont seem to care what happens to them as long as a certain team is taken care off.

They ain't at the top of the league yet, it's too early.

Mibbees next week.

the corrupt refs will have been told to go into overdrive to get the scum on top as soon as possible in case they need to call it.there is no way they are giving it to us.

Boris acknowledged that people may jump to that conclusion but even allowing for increased testing, cases are rising.

U look at those figures and panic because the government tell you to. Will they keep us updated on how many of them die I wonder.
We should be looking at figures and hoping herd immunity is fast tracking despite the government doing all they can to keep the fear going.

Back