What constitutes as successful for next season?

greggakd

The question on today’s heart and hand update was a good one, and didn’t see anything on the board so thought it would be a good conversation to have on here, feel free to delete admin if it’s been posted or I’m treading on toes by asking someone else’s question.

retaining the title is a given and there were 2 other options, one being to give the CL a good go and getting through the groups, or the second option being a good run in the EL and at least one cup.

the way I see it, we need to win a cup next season, and it may be unstaunch but I’d like us to get 3rd in our CL group, for the financial benefits of CL participation, but we’re more likely to go further in the EL than CL so I’d like us to drop into that competition and have a decent run, making the quarter finals at least, and I think we are capable of that.

People saying CL groups haven’t thought it through or haven’t seen the teams we need to get past. Not making the groups won’t make the season unsuccessful. Making the groups would be a massive achievement, bigger than reaching the last 16 of the EL. It’s a bonus.

Reactions: LD5
Satisfied with the league
Expect a league and cup double
Be delighted with league and CL qualification.

People saying CL groups haven’t thought it through or haven’t seen the teams we need to get past. Not making the groups won’t make the season unsuccessful. Making the groups would be a massive achievement, bigger than reaching the last 16 of the EL. It’s a bonus.
Who are the four teams again, Olympiakos, Zagreb, Salzburg and who? Without sounding too unstaunch, we would struggle against all three.

The league and qualification for the group stages of the CL would be tremendous. The cups mean nothing financially so should be down the list of priorities, but still nice to win.
Would do me fine,Any domestic cup would be nice but like this season it wouldn’t be up there in the list of priorities.

When it comes down to it the title is what I want and that would constitute a great season for me. In terms of Europe I would love champions league but I think we’re a bit off that level so wouldn’t be bothered if we ended up in Europa groups again.
Domestic cups are a bonus but come well below league and Europe for me

The argument about winning cups is a non starter. Win 5 games or draw them and win on pens and you win a cup and are as successful as winning a 38 game league?? Not for me.
The league and a run in Europe would be great however winning the league next season is worth £30m. That has to be the full focus

We don't need to win a cup next season.

Retaining the league constitutes a successful season and that's before we even think about what that brings.

Everything else is a bonus.

That's not to say I don't badly want a cup and Champions League success, but in terms of building a legacy and for the future, 2 in a row will do nicely.

The league anything else is a bonus. However if I was to pick anything over that it would be making the CL group and getting out of that. If not last 8 in Europa league or beyond. The better we do in Europe the higher our profile and more money is made.

The League is literally all that matters next season - guaranteed pot of gold at the end of it.

Anything else Europe or Cup wise would be great as well obviously.

Winning the league is obvious.

Group stages of the CL would be amazing but probably viewed as a bonus.

If we do drop into the EL I would like to see us get last 8 at least.

The league and qualification for the group stages of the CL would be tremendous. The cups mean nothing financially so should be down the list of priorities, but still nice to win.

This for me too, with eventually progressing to last 16 of EL.

The mentally challenged narrative that 'only winning the league' somehow makes our season a failure is a lot of shite.

League title. Losing in cups and out of Europe early would be sore at the time but if come May we are champions again then that’s a success.

Absolute minimum
Retain the league + Europa League football
Should really be getting a double domestically at least if I'm being honest.
As things stand a double/treble + Champions League football would be envoke similar or possibly top the euphoria of this season

Although we want to aim higher, winning the league is the most important single goal for next year due to automatic qualification to CL league stage. So from that point of view we "only" need the league for next season to be successful.

Winning the league, and with it t the direct access to CL.

Gaining access this season would be a huge bonus for finances and therefore improvement of the squad, but winning the league has to be the main area.

The league, preferably by sufficient distance to keep the Erskine Bridge busy, and Europe after Christmas.

Continued team improvement with two or more of the development squad becoming regulars in the match day squad.

A cup would be nice but I just don't care that much about them. Certainly not as much as I do about the others.

League for me,which brings champions league group money next season. Anything else a bonus.

Exactly what I was thinking.

If we get into CL groups it will be incredible.

I would like to win one trophy at least, preferably the league championship again. We have set a standard of getting out of our Europa League group so I would like to achieve that also.

When it comes down to it the title is what I want and that would constitute a great season for me. In terms of Europe I would love champions league but I think we’re a bit off that level so wouldn’t be bothered if we ended up in Europa groups again.
Domestic cups are a bonus but come well below league and Europe for me
Agree re the title being the priority. Disagree on being off the CL level as we've beaten or matched Porto (CL semi finalists), Villareal (Europa League winners), and a host of other CL regulars over the past 3 years. We may end up not qualifying but it will relate to the other team simply being better over 2 legs rather than us not being of that level to begin with.

Back