What do we need in the Summer?

My thoughts are turning to what we need to keep our momentum and evolution under Gerrard in this summer window.

I think priority should be another central midfielder and a centre back. Aribo has been outstanding but I feel can be found out defensively so I would ideally see him and Hagi as the right forward position. I hope Davis signs for another year but we need to be identifying an 'orchestrator' to replace him in time.

A center back to cement as Goldson's partner. We don't yet know how or when Katic will recover. Balogun not a long term option for me and Helander I'm not completely convinced.

Front three and wingbacks we have at least 2 quality players for each position.

Thoughts bears?

i imagine itll be depending on who leaves. i dont think we can expect to hold on to everyone this summer. we will need to make a sale, having said that it could also depend on CL qualification. if we get into the CL itll give more funds and pulling power.

I think we might end up losing BB and Morelos, maybe even Kamara too, so replacing them

As others have said a successor to Davis. There are always better players out there problem is they become more and more expensive...imagine a Kent with better finishing he would be 30 million+

My thoughts are turning to what we need to keep our momentum and evolution under Gerrard in this summer window.

I think priority should be another central midfielder and a centre back. Aribo has been outstanding but I feel can be found out defensively so I would ideally see him and Hagi as the right forward position. I hope Davis signs for another year but we need to be identifying an 'orchestrator' to replace him in time.

A center back to cement as Goldson's partner. We don't yet know how or when Katic will recover. Balogun not a long term option for me and Helander I'm not completely convinced.

Thoughts bears?
I like Balogun but he is 32. Unbelievably he had only played 155 games in his career, prior to Rangers.

I would add a quality CB, centre mid and striker, assuming Alfie leaves.

Will depend on outgoings but priority will be replacing any key players departing and new contacts for Kamara, Tav, Goldson etc.

Realistically, we need to sell Borna this summer if we want to maximise profit. Kamara will have plenty of interest but I’d be holding out for a massive fee. Similarly Buff may go but again it would have to be big money. Happily keep them all for an assault on the CL next season.

What is not convincing you about Helander op?I was initially was concerned about his perceived lack of pace however a quick look at our win percentage and goals conceded when he plays tells you he is a quality centre half.

in terms of what we need - I think we will need a replacement for Davis , kamara and potentially Alfie in the summer as this has always been signposted as the summer we cash in on at least 1 asset ( Alfie ) I think kamara willl leave as we will get an offer we simply cannot refuse on a £50k investment and then a long term Davis replacement

keep everyone else for our stab at champs league

It all depends who we sell, if we sell anyone.

If our current squad is fit and Davis signs another contract I don't think we really need to sign anyone, there is currently enough competition in most positions.

Goldson and Tav are about the enter the final year of their contracts, if they don't sign new contacts the club might try to sell them rather than lose them for free in the summer of 2022. So they will both need replaced which won't be easy.

Our European run will probably generate a lot of interest in our players, EPL clubs might come sniffing around the likes of Morelos, Kent, Hagi and Kamara. If we get an offer we can't refuse for any of these players they will obviously need replaced.

What is not convincing you about Helander op?I was initially was concerned about his perceived lack of pace however a quick look at our win percentage and goals conceded when he plays tells you he is a quality centre half.

in terms of what we need - I think we will need a replacement for Davis , kamara and potentially Alfie in the summer as this has always been signposted as the summer we cash in on at least 1 asset ( Alfie ) I think kamara willl leave as we will get an offer we simply cannot refuse on a £50k investment and then a long term Davis replacement

Did somebody on FF recently say the Rangers have never lost a game when Helander has played?

I think we're going to see a few changes in personnel in our midfield in the summer.

Ryan Jack - injury issues and therefore lacks reliability. Manager will be concerned by this.
Steven Davis - playing well but not getting any younger etc.
Scott Arfiled - not getting any younger etc.
Kamara - possibly sold for big bucks ?

So, I think the manager will have identified it as an area which will need quite a bit of work before next season.

Need someone to replace Davis as priority, can’t afford to sleep at the wheel and let him fall away

jack/arfield are never going to give us a full season, davis might but at his age we shouldnt rely on him so for me we need at least one quality midfielder who will be a first team pick. Preferably id like a midfielder in the mould of arfield, someone who can get forward and contribute goals.

Id rotate jack and davis next season. Midfield could be kamara/ jack or davis/new quality midfielder

Completely agree keeping a hold of our prize assets for a champ league stint is key, bar the odd sale to balance the books.

Helander is a perfectly competent international defender, I suppose my anxiety is caused by us conceding so many against Antwerp and thinking about the next level of player we would need to compete in champions league.

I think we will see several departures in the summer, The fact Goldson and Tav are running Down their contracts is concerning.

We need 3 players of good quality to go straight in to the first team.

2 midfielders I would say for sure.

Depends who leaves, first of all.

Taking things as they are just now I think we need at least one starting level / high quality CM. In general that's the area that has performed really well but which I think will need the biggest revamp in the next 12-18 months. It's the engine room, has given our forwards a platform to play off of and given our defence excellent cover. Its the one area we can't afford to allow slip in terms of standards.

If Alfie goes then I think we really need to look again at the striking options. It's been a different season in terms of our distribution of goals, but fundamentally I think we still need a 20+ a season striker and I'm not convinced Roofe or Itten will give us that, even if Alfie goes and they start every week.

Wide positions I think we are comfortable for now. Losing Kent would hurt us though, regardless of what some of the blinkered mob on here think.

I don't expect Tav to go. If Borna goes I don't think Bassey is good enough I'm afraid. Or at least I think we would need to rethink our attacking shape if we decided to put our faith in him. I think we should be looking closely at Doig.

CBs - I'd be reasonably comfortable going with the same players we have available now. Eager to see a fit again Katic - if he comes back I don't see the need to sign anyone. If he's struggling and Edmundson moves on then I think we need one more in. Balogun is decent and I'd keep. If we have the money to really upgrade on a higher quality CB then I'd do it, as I think CL football will challenge us defensively in a way we've not seen this year. But I don't think its an absolute necessity for domestic football.

Keeper - hopefully Allan keeps on playing. If not then we need one in as a first pick. McLaughlin is a very able back up but over a season I think McGregor has been outstanding, and as a club I think we've always had outstanding keepers when we've been dominant.

In summary - I think we need a dominant, international level CM and probably a striker as a minimum. An upgrade at CB would be good if available and financial doable. Other areas its a case of who moves on I think.

Completely agree keeping a hold of our prize assets for a champ league stint is key, bar the odd sale to balance the books.

Helander is a perfectly competent international defender, I suppose my anxiety is caused by us conceding so many against Antwerp and thinking about the next level of player we would need to compete in champions league.
Fair point mate , I think u always get games that go against the grain of your usual form and structure though - ours this year have defiantly been confined to Europe where we have conceded a few completely lacklustre sloppy goals ( Antwerp and Benfica )

A top class centre mid, a keeper if McGregor calls time and a striker who can hold the ball up like Buff.

Labouring the point now but if the midfielder isn't available if take Rafaelov on a Bosman to job share with Davis/Arfield/Hagi/Aribo. He's see plenty game time on rotation.

The lad we were linked with from Sampdoria Jakob Jankto was leftfield but exactly the sort of pedigree we'd need to improve.

Sakala has been linked repeatedly.

One quality midfielder in at least,and that's if we don't sell any of our first team squad.
We need Tav and Goldson signing new deals.
I'd expect one or two of Borna,Kamara or Alfie to go for good money.
I think we need to start selling to balance the books.
If we made the Champions League group stages and only sold Kamara it would be less unsettling imo,as an example.

Really only need two midfielders in then,albeit getting sufficient quality in won't be easy.
I also think Itten,Aribo,Roofe and Hagi are all capable of giving us more next year after a full season to settle in properly.

I would say a couple of midfielders as davis is getting on and not sure he will stay might decide its the right time to end a glittering career. Also someone to replace jack for when he gets injured as it seems to happen all to often these days really class player but cant rely on him for a full season.

A top class centre mid, a keeper if McGregor calls time and a striker who can hold the ball up like Buff.

Labouring the point now but if the midfielder isn't available if take Rafaelov on a Bosman to job share with Davis/Arfield/Hagi/Aribo. He's see plenty game time on rotation.

The lad we were linked with from Sampdoria Jakob Jankto was leftfield but exactly the sort of pedigree we'd need to improve.

Sakala has been linked repeatedly.
Sakala and Jankto seem like the types of player quality wise we could be doing with.
I think financially we're more likely to be able to attract players nearer the end of their contracts,and of course the lure of Champions league should help.

Better players, same as every summer.
It's getting harder to find them though.
I agree with this.

I also expect 20% more from more mature Kent, Hagi, Aribo and Kamara.
Maybe even a hibrid Morelos learning to play last year's role and this year's role at different spells of games.

I'd like us to get to a point where we play like last night every week.
Not tweaking systems against better teams.
Playing our game as often as possible.

And going off topic, I'd like us to start that against Celtic, going at them at parkhead like we went at Antwerp both legs.

We can't stand still and players will probably leave hopefully with UCL money we can find some top quality to add to the squad

Thoughts bears?

We’ve signed a centre back in Simpson & a midfielder in Nnamdi Ofoborh already for next season.

Did somebody on FF recently say the Rangers have never lost a game when Helander has played?
I had a thread on it a while back and his record has only improved since then. He played in one domestic loss, the cup final loss to Celtic which was lost due to an offside goal and profligate finishing. He played in 2 European losses, the 1-0 away loss to Leverkusen and the 2-1 away loss to YB.

Hope Morelos stays because of CL football. Cant see it though due to the backwater antics he has to put up with.

Wanted us to look at Doig but hes just signed new 4 year contract so cant see it now.

Midfield is somewhere we probably need to strengthen. Davis has been magnificent but hes at the age where slight injuries can be more concerning. Jacks injurys are a bit annoying aswell. Kamara could be away especially if he has a good euros.

Would love to keep him, turning into a cult hero. Can see a serie A side making a bid as they don't mind older wing backs. See kolarov/lichsteiner
Its now or never if we want to cash in though and with the euros coming up I think we need to sell, we cant go on forever not selling any players.

As much as we like the current players you always need to upgrade. Specially for a crack at the champions league.

Midfield is the main area we need to strengthen, and replace anyone sold.
Kamara hasn't signed a new contract so if that doesn't change, he'll be away.
Gerrard has had Helander out of the team quite a lot, so may look to strengthen there too.
It'll need to be quality over quantity if we are to continue the momentum.

If Tav or Goodson don’t sign a new contract then the should be sold and replacements bought. I think a Davis replacement should be top priority and any other buys should be to replace any players sold.

I think we’ve got a great team, but always aikido for upgrades in any position should one be available.

Depends what we lose as well.

Back