What do we need in the Summer?

A top quality midfielder to take over from Davis and a top quality centre half to partner Goldson... Easier said than done I know.

I’m of the same opinion as many, one top drawer centre mid, box to box type and I’d spend all of our budget on him to compliment what we have.

If any player is sold then obviously adequate replacements must be recruited in place.

Helander's made 41 appearances for us and lost 3 games. (Young Boys away, Leverkusen away, League Cup Final where he went off injured).

Last night he was our best defender. If you're not convinced by him, I don't think it's Helander that's the problem.

Last edited:
Tbh I would much rather consolidate what we already have and tie up all the players with 2 years or less on longer deals. We will have players going to the Euro's who will show up well and we will hopefully have Champions League football again next season where I believe a number of our players will also show up well and therefore their value will increase.

Midfield will probably need a major rebuild. Jack and Arfield are liable to injuries, Davis is great but might drop off a cliff the way Weir did, Zungu away, Kamara might go for huge money if has a good Euros.

Helander's made 41 appearances for us and lost 3 games. (Young Boys away, Leverkusen away, League Cup Final where he went off injured).

Last night he was out best defender. If you're not convinced by him, I don't think it's Helander that's the problem.

Not convinced by Helander...... madness.

A midfielder who can shoot!! Although Hagi has his fair share of shots outside the box but a 1st team player who can do it regularly.. ( score that is ).. the amount of times we lay it on a plate when its begging to be smashed then pass it again is unreal at times..

Better players, same as every summer.
It's getting harder to find them though.
I agree.
There are always better players out there for any position, that is the nature of football.
However, our current squad is strong for our league and income and to upgrade is difficult and requires careful and extremely clever identification of talent as yet performing under the radar of richer clubs.

Anyone can identify a top-class player and shell out 50 million, there is very little cleverness in that.
We are operating inside a far more difficult scenario without many of the advantages of clubs like Porto for instance.

A midfielder who can shoot!! Although Hagi has his fair share of shots outside the box but a 1st team player who can do it regularly.. ( score that is ).. the amount of times we lay it on a plate when its begging to be smashed then pass it again is unreal at times..
Hagi is getting batter with every game.

Probably need two decent midfielders - hopefully a boss and an attacking one. May need another good striker as well who will challenge what we have.

Kamara on a new deal. He’s instrumental to our team.

I think Morelos and Barisic will be sold so we need to replace with real quality if they do go.

Also think Defoe will retire so we need another striking option.

On top I’d say we need to strengthen wide areas with another player and a midfielder to replace Davis long term

It all depends who we sell, if we sell anyone.

If our current squad is fit and Davis signs another contract I don't think we really need to sign anyone, there is currently enough competition in most positions.

Goldson and Tav are about the enter the final year of their contracts, if they don't sign new contacts the club might try to sell them rather than lose them for free in the summer of 2022. So they will both need replaced which won't be easy.

Our European run will probably generate a lot of interest in our players, EPL clubs might come sniffing around the likes of Morelos, Kent, Hagi and Kamara. If we get an offer we can't refuse for any of these players they will obviously need replaced.
I’m gonna say that Tav will extend and then will retire at Rangers.

I anticipate big offers for Kamara and Borna after the Euros. Midfield will need major investment as Davis, Jack and Arfield are unlikely to play the same volume of games from next season. Alfie is also likely to be moved on.....gonna be a busy close season!

You're not seriously saying that Katic is a more complete central defender than Healnder or Balogun surely?

Has this season bypassed you mate?

A striker if morelos goes and 1 central midfielder , there is a possibility of losing Kamara and Davis , prob 1 next season so will need replaced

I think we'll sell a couple of first teamers in the summer, probably 2 of goldson, helander, barasic, kamara and morelos. Id hope Goldson (or even all) stays at least one more year, but the model we are looking to follow suggests we may not be able to keep hold of.

Think the way edmundson has settled at derby, we may just let him go there with simpson having already came in.

Wright already looks a better version of jones/barker/stewart.

Ofoborh could be the contingency plan for kamara leaving and jacks recurring injuries.

I think this summer may not be a case of improving, more of replacing valuable players who may leave our first 11.

There are no big holes in the team to fill so it's now all about buying higher quality players (any position) and replacing those who leave.

As someone above said we do need to sign a Steven Davis replacement at some point soon and that will not be easy. However we may be lucky and get another couple of years out of him.

I think we could be in for a busy summer with regards to interest in our players, the way we have played in the league and in Europe.

Think we will see a few moving few coming in all over the pitch.

Davis successor should 100% be the main target, someone like Cicaldau. If Defoe retires I'd like to see us go in for a young project striker. I think getting half the squad of new contracts is vital too though.

A lot of unknowns going into the summer.

Will McGregor, Davis and Defoe continue or go out on a high? Who will come in for Morelos, Barasic, Kamara etc and will Goldson and Tav extend their contracts.

We could have anything from a minor tweak to a fairly major rebuild depending on how this all pans out.

My thoughts are turning to what we need to keep our momentum and evolution under Gerrard in this summer window.

I think priority should be another central midfielder and a centre back. Aribo has been outstanding but I feel can be found out defensively so I would ideally see him and Hagi as the right forward position. I hope Davis signs for another year but we need to be identifying an 'orchestrator' to replace him in time.

A center back to cement as Goldson's partner. We don't yet know how or when Katic will recover. Balogun not a long term option for me and Helander I'm not completely convinced.

Front three and wingbacks we have at least 2 quality players for each position.

Thoughts bears?
Might be an unpopular opinion but I think we should look for a replacement for Jack he is injured too often unfortunately, I like him as a player but would happily let him go.

I think we're going to see a few changes in personnel in our midfield in the summer.

Ryan Jack - injury issues and therefore lacks reliability. Manager will be concerned by this.
Steven Davis - playing well but not getting any younger etc.
Scott Arfiled - not getting any younger etc.
Kamara - possibly sold for big bucks ?

So, I think the manager will have identified it as an area which will need quite a bit of work before next season.
Agree, I'm open to correction but I think we've only really spent £50k on the midfield during SGs tenure. Kamara came in for that and the rest were frees. Think we'll see that statistic change this summer.

Quality CB ,a quality attacking midfielder& central midfielder ,a quality 20 goal a season striker if we want to do well in CL , if we want to dominate this league then we need to spend the CL money if we qualify on real quality that takes us to the next level

We need 2 young talented Arfield & Davis like players to share the workload and take over the reigns from them in a couple of seasons time. Would like to see us push the boat out in this area and spend the type of money we spent on Kent & Hagi.

Also will need to adequately replace any departing players, but too early to say who that will be just yet.

People keep on mentioning upgrades. We will upgrade but you have likely arrived at this assumption from a different angle the club will.

There was a significant amount of work done on stats which allowed us to target specific areas for recruitment. This was why Roofe and Hagi were signed. It worked.

In my opinion we will target pace in the front 6 players. It’s the only area I see weakness.

I think this will be the summer that Morelos leaves unfortunately. We will need to recoup money from players sales........the money we make from winning the Europa league and subsequent champions league money could off set it tho.

Bringing in a player that can play Davis role is a priority, Jordi Claisse ex Feyenoord and Southampton is available on a Bosman in the summer.
He has international and European experience and plays the same role as Davis does.
Noticed that last week on transfermarkt.co.uk but haven't seen him play for a long time so unsure of form/fitness/likelihood of him going elsewhere.

You'd think in a very general sense,that your typical Dutch style of player should suit our current way of playing.

Noticed that last week on transfermarkt.co.uk but haven't seen him play for a long time so unsure of form/fitness/likelihood of him going elsewhere.

You'd think in a very general sense,that your typical Dutch style of player should suit our current way of playing.

dont think hes playing much at all

just checked, 4 apps all year, suffering from Pubitis

Reactions: cav
Kamara contracted until Summer 2023, the other two Summer 2022 so more of a concern. Wouldn't surprise me if both Tav and Goldson have intimated they don't want to discuss contracts as they are fully focussed on delivering 55.
I really hope so mate,and I say that as someone who was so pissed off with them last season post Xmas I wanted them gone.(Tav and Goldson)

They've shoved those words right down my throat,I'm delighted to say Fantastic leadership this season from both of them.
They would leave a massive hole to fill if they didn't extend.

You'd think he'd just have a shave then or some trimming then

I had the same jokes in my head lol....... seems its an inflamation of the joint in the pubic bone......hes been out now for 4/5months

looking at his injury history, hes out for around 2 weeks each season and this injury is a new thing, so he may recover, only 29, so a few years in him.

to add, I reckon a Davis replacement is going to have to be an older player, you dont get what hes got from a youngster or project

Back