What do we need in the Summer?

If Euros goes ahead I expect us to let Borna, Kamara go for big fees. Alfie will likely go also.

We also need to replace Defoe and Davis.

It is a big summer for us just to stay at same level.

Personally i think we need a New "Barry Ferguson"

We need a Centre Mid able to take ball from CH - drive FORWARD to open up space in which to pass into. Also go beyond our Forwards into box with a goal threat. When it needs it in tight games the know how on slowing game down and retaining possession.

Davis is good for ball retention and passing but isn't known for his attacking the box - is also a bit frustrating by his first touch generally backwards. Jack goes side to side too much and is more your defensive holding type - Kamara is similar to Jack with first thought not to lose ball and cause a problem rather than "how do i hurt them "

I would spend all the marbles on this type of player - with this in place we would become a far greater goal threat and maybe not be so vulnerable when teams "have a go" when all is lost ie Benfica - Hibs - Livingston and we see games out as Victories rather than expensive or frustrating Draws.
Who this player is and can we afford him is the $64,000 question - but i'm not Ross Wilson :)

Last edited:
I think the second we win the league they will start those discussions.
Correct. Laser focus on the title. Plenty of time for that stuff.

For me it’s a question of who can we sell to balance the books which will have least impact? I think after the Euros Kamara and Borna will be the two biggest assets. That would then mean a CM over and above the Bournemouth boy and a left back if we don’t think Calvin is ready. Once the title is won and if not banned the Patterson and Bassey should play a lot of football. That will let us see Calvin properly. Whatever happens I have total trust in this management team. It’s tinkering as opposed to rebuild which is a great position to be in. Over the next two years we need to transition from Davis, Shagger, Arfield to a new young dynamic team. Hopefully Ryan Jack can become our next Davis. He has next season to learn that role.

As stated replacements for anyone who leaves, a couple of quality mids who can score goals.

I think the board are going to have to make some tough decisions, I believe Goldson and Tav will be on some EPL teams Wishlist (doesn't mean they'll go ), as well as bids for the likes of Kamara, Borna and Alfie.

We have to balance the books and getting rid of some fringe players won't do that, we may even need another keeper

Midfield without a doubt.
As much as I love Ryan Jack and I think we play better when he’s in the team but we can’t rely on him staying fit.

we need a top quality midfielder who’s guaranteed to start every other week

I don’t think that squad would do much in champions league. A squad to compete at that level would need to be developed in a similar way to the present one has been.
Tbf doing much in it isn't the main aim getting to the group's is excellent from a financial point of view if we can get there a couple of seasons in a row I'm sure we will build even if we can sneak third in a group and drop down to the Europa League

Last edited:
Big decisions in the summer, particularly if our players perform well in the European championships.
New contracts for Tav,Goldson,Barisic,Morelos and Kamara? If not, then we sell. We have to be hard headed and do the right thing for the club. Champions league football will hopefully be enough to convince them to stay along with attractive contracts.
I still think we need another top class centre half, midfielder and striker in order to compete in the champions league.

Tav and Goldson will probably move on I think.
Why do people think Tav and Goldson will leave. Tav is the captain of a massive club, Goldson vice-captain, they are guaranteed European football every season as well as winning trophies at home, they aren't going to get that elsewhere.

I’m of the opposite opinion, I really don’t think either of them will swap a shot at the Champions league over a relegation battle in the premiership.
Hopefully winning this years title will give them the taste for it.
Yes I fully understand your opinion NSB, but think the EPL and the chance to make a nest egg for their pension, will be more important to their careers at this point.
Everyone has a price and leaves........in the end.

Covid to GTF would be a good start!

Long term Davis replacement and alot will depend on who leaves this summer

First choice CM and maybe a CH then replace if anyone leaves. Hopefully Morelos, Kamara & Kent stay for Champions league

I don’t think that squad would do much in champions league. A squad to compete at that level would need to be developed in a similar way to the present one has been.

I think our current squad is capable of doing ok in the Champions League. We have to face the fact that competing at that level may be beyond us anyway. It'll be interesting to see how we do.

But there's also the very real possibility that in the short term we have to take a small step back. You say developed in the same way as this one - that's 3 years before it gets to where it needs to be in that case. If we're going to be a club who buy players to develop and sell on for big fees and who also promote youth, we'll have to accept that the quality in the squad will be cyclical. We won't be replacing our best players on a like-for-like basis.

This is exactly what we need, in fact it’s imperative.

Not so sure I agree with that.

We've shown that we've a recruitment department who are exceedingly sharp. We're constantly looking at other players, and ones that fit the criteria buy and sell on. The splash the cash approach is one that is more a mentality of us TV watchers and Murray days than anything else. How many of the current squad can people honestly say that they knew about before they signed? Not so many methinks. Our squads now rated at how much?

Wilson's record to date is quite frankly outstanding compared to the norm of success and failure that is a standard part of business in the transfer market.

We don't need to spend big, but continue to do so wisely. With our scouting network, I'm sure it will be feasible for us to get a top notch player that fits our needs for a more reasonable price. Highly likely most of us won't have heard of him/them either!

I think the real key to this team going forward is the 3 of Kent, Hagi & Aribo playing in and around the main striker.

Its a combination of players that no other team in the league can match in terms of what they can do. This should be supported by two top quality CMs. Jack and Davis cant be expected to play every game so should offset one main man.

Dont see Tav leaving so at the back i think its only a potential replacement for Borna we need to worry about. Goldson/Katic/Hellander/Balogun/Simpsonshould act as a good deep crop of CHs

Prob need to start looking for shaggers long term replacement in the summer, think he’ll give us another season with the idea of phasing the new guy in. Cup games/easy home ties in league etc

Correct. Laser focus on the title. Plenty of time for that stuff.

For me it’s a question of who can we sell to balance the books which will have least impact? I think after the Euros Kamara and Borna will be the two biggest assets. That would then mean a CM over and above the Bournemouth boy and a left back if we don’t think Calvin is ready. Once the title is won and if not banned the Patterson and Bassey should play a lot of football. That will let us see Calvin properly. Whatever happens I have total trust in this management team. It’s tinkering as opposed to rebuild which is a great position to be in. Over the next two years we need to transition from Davis, Shagger, Arfield to a new young dynamic team. Hopefully Ryan Jack can become our next Davis. He has next season to learn that role.
This may be a controversial opinion but its also possible that Tav goes. I mean if we want Patterson to fully develop then he's gonna come up against the rarely injured(I know he is currently injured) brick wall that is our captain. Something's gonna have to give in that RB position.

I think our current squad is capable of doing ok in the Champions League. We have to face the fact that competing at that level may be beyond us anyway. It'll be interesting to see how we do.

But there's also the very real possibility that in the short term we have to take a small step back. You say developed in the same way as this one - that's 3 years before it gets to where it needs to be in that case. If we're going to be a club who buy players to develop and sell on for big fees and who also promote youth, we'll have to accept that the quality in the squad will be cyclical. We won't be replacing our best players on a like-for-like basis.
Yup - good post. Agree with that.

Back