What do you think is required in the January transfer window?

I meant Dykes , tbf I thought it might be Cosgrove first.

PS Hateley was a great player why mention Dykes in the same breath ?

Height and physicality m8, and it's all you ever hear that it's only been him they couldnt handle. The boy Kaba at Midtjylland would do us a turn.

Graeme Souness or Barry Ferguson.

A leader in the middle of the park.

Much as I love Jack and Davis, I don't think either one can drag us out of the shit when it's not happening for us.

A goalscoring midfielder would make a world of a difference. We need a 12+ goal grabber. We are lucky if we have a 12 goal midfield let alone a single contributor within them.

Graeme Souness or Barry Ferguson.

A leader in the middle of the park.

Much as I love Jack and Davis, I don't think either one can drag us out of the shit when it's not happening for us.
Sorry need to disagree , Ryan Jack , how many would have got up and fought after his knock in the Cup Final , also took one for the team on Thursday.

Sorry need to disagree , Ryan Jack , how many would have got up and fought after his knock in the Cup Final , also took one for the team on Thursday.

I am on record as saying that the player we need COULD be Ryan Jack.

I'm not sure he's there yet but you are right he's had some genuine moments and performances of real leadership.

The Ryan Jack that you re talking about plus his goals against Ross Co on a regular basis wins us the league.

My other concern is that our system/ formation doesn't really fit a box to box match winning midfielder.

It might be a little rigid, which is ironic since Stevie G was one of the best in the role.

Defenders that can defend first and foremost

This is the weakness of our team
And needs strengthening, ASAP before we can even think about challenging for the title

Really? I’m confident in our defensive ability yes it’s not perfect but for me our defensive record is good enough what we really need is a goal scoring midfielder abe a right sided forward to contribute to our goals scored this is where our problem is not in defence

I am on record as saying that the player we need COULD be Ryan Jack.

I'm not sure he's there yet but you are right he's had some genuine moments and performances of real leadership.

The Ryan Jack that you re talking about plus his goals against Ross Co on a regular basis wins us the league.

My other concern is that our system/ formation doesn't really fit a box to box match winning midfielder.

It might be a little rigid, which is ironic since Stevie G was one of the best in the role.
We need to get the balance right for sure ,we need more with the attitude of RJ , my biggest concern about the formation is why 4-3-3 when only one of the front three scores regularly or even has shots on target.

Who you moving on and how many will get a pay off?
Gerrard clearly doesn't fancy Doc, maybe some interest in him after his successful loan spell.

King and possibly Ojo could head back to their clubs.

Murphy looks unlikely to get much game time, Grezda certainly wont.

Rare appearance from Polster today but can't see him featuring much, same with Halliday.

Don't see anything major happening in January, big summer again though

Really? I’m confident in our defensive ability yes it’s not perfect but for me our defensive record is good enough what we really need is a goal scoring midfielder abe a right sided forward to contribute to our goals scored this is where our problem is not in defence
It’s not our defenders that are the problem, it’s the system we play has full backs so high up the pitch. Liverpool, who are arguably the best team in Europe, kept their first home clean sheet just yesterday. It’s modern systems and formations. Yes, it can leave us a bit thin at the back, but shit is it fun to watch when it clicks. When did we last batter Celtic like we did last week?

To answer the question, I’d only like to buy if we get rid of many of the fringe players who are unlikely to be starters or push for a starting place. I thought King would be great for us- so I’m very disappointed in him. I think it shows how hard it is to be successful at Ibrox. Any January buys must be of a certain quality and experiencehat’s tough to get mid season, even Davis struggled to get up to speed last year. Realistically, we would be looking at a player like SD, who has quality but maybe had fallen out of favor with the manager. Eligible to play in Europe would help too.

Big centre forward for the last ten minutes? We have one at the club called Nikola Katic. Great inside the opponent’s box and scores a few headers too. I wouldn’t piss money against the wall on some hammer thrower from Livingston.

First choice RW and a young LB with potential to eventually replace Barisic should be the priority.

In the summer we need quality options in CM, we are too light there.

I think Maxwell from the youths could eventually be that person for the back up position.

I dont want us signing more backups who aren't good enough to dislodge the first choice player. We waste too much money in players like that.

I understand why Flanagan was signed 18 months ago and he did us a turn but we're in a stronger position now and players like him, Murphy, Docherty and King are no use to us.

For all they play, someone like Barjonas (and maybe AN Other youth player) can fill their places in the squad.

You could keep one or two more senior pros like Halliday and Polster or perm any 2 from about 8 for all they have to contribute.

Signings we make st this stage in our development should be to improve the first XI by and large. That's harder in January all the same.

Central midfield and an attacking wide player who scores goals should be the priorities.

A goalscoring midfielder would make a world of a difference. We need a 12+ goal grabber. We are lucky if we have a 12 goal midfield let alone a single contributor within them.

Absolutely convinced this should be time our No.1 priority. I've seen enough to confidently say we are more than a match for the mentally challengeds in EVERY OTHER department.

We are seriously hamstrung without this quality.

Where we get such a player in January I have no idea but for me it's going to be the difference between winning this title or coming up just short.

I think we really need a genuine on the park goal threat that’s not Morelos.

Essentially someone to make the right sided wing / forward position their own.

Aside from that, we’re fine.

We don't need squad fillers, we have that in abundance. We need to improve the first team instead of adding numbers to an already bloated squad.

If said quality isn't there then there is no point in making a move.

I'd like a right sided attacker and should Kamara go, then he needs replaced too.

Goal scoring, hard as nails central midfielder

Target man up front.

Just so we can mix it up from time to time

Our bench today was very uninspiring which only goes to show how many squad fillers we have signed.
Exactly. Barker and Polster to name two specifically. Ojo been a waste of time. As has King, surprisingly. Stewart I think has been hard done by. Better than I expected in the games I’ve seen him.

Personally I’d like to see a back-up left back that isn’t to much of a drop off quality-wise to Barisic and a right winger/inside forward of real quality.
I realise we need to get players of the wage bill and do accept we may need to shift players on to free up wages for other players.
Would like to see what others think.
A goal-scoring midfielder and backup to both Morelos and Defoe. Not a Lafferty-type or target man, we don’t play that way.

Think we could do with a third choice striker, as say for hibs for example, we have Defoe with no back up due to suspension of alfie, i.e , i think a signing like Kevin Nesbitt for 500k or less would be a good piece of business. We were in the same position last year with shankland, where we could of had him on a free at end of season, which i think now, he would have added something else to our current squad. Now if anyone to was going to go in for shankland, i reckon they would have to open there cheque book out and cough up for him.

Don't we need a third striker? It's not impossible that Alfie could get a suspension and Defoe has an injury. We seem well-covered in all other areas but not striker. Think back to having to play Umar in a semifinal last year and how that cost us.

Granted Docherty doesn’t appear to be in favour but surely the talk o a goalscoring midfielder and that player is possibly already at Ibrox! Seems to score/assist most games he’s played in development team and even in his cameos for us this season at pre season and early qualifiers

I think Maxwell from the youths could eventually be that person for the back up position.

I dont want us signing more backups who aren't good enough to dislodge the first choice player. We waste too much money in players like that.

I understand why Flanagan was signed 18 months ago and he did us a turn but we're in a stronger position now and players like him, Murphy, Docherty and King are no use to us.

For all they play, someone like Barjonas (and maybe AN Other youth player) can fill their places in the squad.

You could keep one or two more senior pros like Halliday and Polster or perm any 2 from about 8 for all they have to contribute.

Signings we make st this stage in our development should be to improve the first XI by and large. That's harder in January all the same.

Central midfield and an attacking wide player who scores goals should be the priorities.
I'm not suggesting a Flanagan type signing in that area though mate.

There is a lot of value in bringing someone in during the January window rather than the summer, it gives them time to settle.

Considering that Barisic will likely be unavailable for the first couple of qualifiers I think it's even more important to get someone in sooner rather than later. We might even have to sell him if he keeps up the way he is going

We need quality at right wing, still crying out for a number 10 and we could be doing with a 3rd striker.
We don't really play with a number 10 mate, if we ever do we have Aribo.

I also don't think we should bring another striker in unless it's Morelos' replacement a window early. Mebude should be used for the role until the summer

Injuries and/or suspensions in midfield could cost us big time.
We have numbers but don’t really have quality to replace Ryan Jack Steven Davis and Glenn Kamara.
I would be looking to see if we could get an attacking midfield plaYer from one of the teams that finished fourth in the champions league qualifying groups as they will not be cup tied for the Europa league.
Anyone who is an international looking to go to the euros might still want European football post-Christmas.

Ojo and King sent back
Barker out on loan
Middleton recalled and loaned elsewhere
Gredza, Docherty and polster sold
2 attacking wide players, an attacking midfielder and ideally a striker to replace Morelos in the long term

There is a fair amount of work needed. Probably unlikely we will do that much In January but I think that is what we need

Personally I’d like to see a back-up left back that isn’t to much of a drop off quality-wise to Barisic and a right winger/inside forward of real quality.
I realise we need to get players of the wage bill and do accept we may need to shift players on to free up wages for other players.
A scoring midfielder

We need to offload at least 5 players and get some decient quality in especially after the draw today
The games at the end of the season if we keep this run in Europe up are going to need a bigger/better squad

Back up left back
another quality center mid
Starting right winger
3rd choice striker
And I'd be looking to move on
Doc, Halliday,Polster,King,Barker,Ojo Murphy and probably Flanagan
Promote some of our Youth to the bench on matchdays players like Barjonas Kennedy and Patterson

Last edited:
I think we are short in depth at both wing backs, midfield and, to a lesser extent, up front. But it is very hard to buy a back up player who is not a significant step down from first choice. The sorts of guys who can step into the shoes of Davis or Tav, much less Alfie, don’t move to be a backup. If we get decent players for free or for very cheap to gamble on them coming good then great but, if paying proper money, then it should be on someone to challenge the incumbents.

From that view, there’s only really 2 areas that stand out as options for recruitment -
- someone to make right wing their own, either as a pacey winger who can hit the byline and cross or a true inside forward who can add goals but have the pace and skill to still be an outball (which is the issue with Stewart or Arfield).
- midfield playmaker. We are too reliant on Davis for this and, given his age, it’s a position where a new recruit would have an obvious route to the first team as Davis will not be a permanent block to progression. At present, for all the progress we have made in midfield, we still lack a player who can really dictate tempo and has the skill to beat opposition players and thread passes. Jack has turned into an outstanding box to box player but is limited in close control. Kamara has outstanding dribbling but doesn’t always create space or find a pass. Aribo might be this player in the future but is a long way off it now. Arfield has a great vision for passing but is not good at dribbling or holding the ball under pressure. The second half against Young Boys showed how much we need this. Ironically, we have the best player in the country in this role at the club but unfortunately he’s wearing a suit in the dugout.

I'd like to see us move on some of the dead wood like poster docherty halliday and Murphy if he isn't going to feature. Bring in one high profile loan and promote some youth like Paterson Kennedy and Mebude

A CM that can get up close to the striker and link play between midfield and attack. Arfield has done this job well on occasion, but is becoming more suited to the deeper role, in the same way that Davis had.

Assuming Andy King was supposed to be this player, but it hasn't worked out for whatever reason. Aribo was probably earmarked for this role also, but looks like we're just playing him further forward.

A back up right back and a scoring midfielder.

Get rid of docherty, Murphy, King and bring in a right sided midfielder/winger who will contribute

Back