What ever happened to the Chinese team affiliated with us? And is there any other teams like this involved with us

We have ‘official partnerships’ with Orange County over in the USA, Bengaluru, All India Football Federation and Hamburg.

Sure we were involved with an Australian team called Northern Spirit back in the 90’s

s-l1600.jpg

We have ‘official partnerships’ with Orange County over in the USA, Bengaluru, All India Football Federation and Hamburg.

Sure we were involved with an Australian team called Northern Spirit back in the 90’s
Yes I believe you are right that Australian team name rings a bell.

Must say, I haven't heard a whisper about this Chinese partnership in a good long while. They didn't quite create the dynasty they wanted after that championship victory in 2004.

Remember getting the top as a kid, probably in a box up my mum's loft. It was a three year partnership. A very short announcement article from UEFA can be found here.

I seem to vaguely remember us being linked with an Indian club a few years ago too?

What ever happens with these partnerships?

I still have the Northern Sprirt top upstairs. It's in mint condition, but in a medium so no chance that's ever fitting!

Orange County need your support they are getting kicked out their ground. They have a petition and campaign on line.

I think the link ups with the Indian market and the buying and streaming of their matches on the Rangers Facebook page was to grow our social platforms so we have a bigger reach and can get more revenue from our commercial deals.

The Orange County link is probably more centred around the football side of things and probably mainly driven by getting first dibs on Francis Jacobs when he turns 18 in February. A shame covid has got in the way of the proposed tournaments over in California we were going to participate in. It also must have been a good experience for the players who went out there on loan, although I think most of them have now left the club to further their careers elsewhere.

Interesting to see what happens next and if there are any official links with Rangers de Talca after their recent visit. Would be good to get some sort of scouting link over there to keep an eye on the South American market.

I wonder if Ceri Bowley's experience with the City Group is going to result in us looking more into the multiple club model, albeit on a smaller scale. Partnerships are often difficult as you don't have full control over decisions at the partner club but it could be an interesting experiment to partner up with a club in a different country (eg Portugal) with a view to establishing a shared scouting network, players from South America we may be interested in going there first before moving to Rangers.

These link ups - and there have been a few over the years - are absolutely pointless.
Yep...hope I'm not being too cynical, but...

Begins - fanfare about growing the market, coach/player exchanges, promoting the "brand", beneficial to both parties.

Ends - updates about it fade away to non-existent, partnership quietly closed.

What ever happens with these partnerships?
No idea to be honest, I know we’ve brought a couple of players over from Orange County to play in the youth teams but haven’t heard anything about them since, we’ve also loaned a couple of our youth players to Orange County as well.

HSV surely would be an ideal club to loan some of our fringe/youth players. There is a demand for success at HSV similar to ourselves and even the Bundesliga 2 is still a very competitive league.

HSV surely would be an ideal club to loan some of our fringe/youth players. There is a demand for success at HSV similar to ourselves and even the Bundesliga 2 is still a very competitive league.
Very few of our youth players are going to be able to go and play regularly in the Bundesliga 2. The Hamburg link could be a good one though and it would be good to see us push for more sharing scouting networks but maybe unlikely as Hamburg will likely be fishing in the same pond when they are back where they want to be.

Fringe/youth players like who? Would Hamburg consider them good enough to play?

The top wasn’t orange, it was mandarin

I still have the grey shirts for it somewhere (with mandarin badges)

Fringe/youth players like who? Would Hamburg consider them good enough to play?
Guess that’s up to them to decide, I know HSV have loaned a few players from English youth academies over the past few years, our academy should be highly rated as well.

They also decided to play David Bates in their defence for near enough a full season, before getting rid of him haha.

Just a personal opinion but I reckon with our current coaches being mostly Dutch then if we could get some of our fringe/youth players loaned out to teams in Europe in say Germany or Holland then it would be an opportunity for them to learn that style of football which I imagine GVB and co are looking to implement at Rangers.

Back