What game saw the opening of the Centenary Stand

davyloyal

I’m all googled oot. I was sure it was late 1972, but I’ve just YouTubed the game v Hearts in December 72, but it’s so dark you can’t tell.

I wasn’t around, what made it the centenary stand? Is that the terracing where the Govan is now?
Yes, its now the Govan Stand. Named the Centenary Stand because, at that time, we were treating 1873 as our founding date.:rolleyes: The stand - basically a terracing with bench seating - was named that because IIRC (could be wrong) the 'official' opening was the Supercup first leg tie against Ajax on 16 Jan 73. It was in use before that date though.

A report on those games, and some footage, in the link below:

Last edited:
I've found a Scum site that says the January 6th, 1973 game (Rangers won 2-1) was the first game:

'Rangers new centenary stand is used for the first time.'

Not sure if that helps or hinders to be honest. LOL.

Last edited:
If memory serves, you could climb around the big wire gate or go under the stand itself to go round to the broomie end for when we attacked that end for the second half.
I used to do that every game.
My memory is telling me we just freely walked around the back of it without any climbing and f uck knows how we got “under” the stand.
Maybe we did climb but I don’t recall that.

You’d often see the celtc end (as we called it back then) empty first half and pretty busy second half.

Just YouTubed the Ne’erday game in 73. It was open then, so I’m still clinging to late 72.
The Hearts goal in December 1972 is on YouTube but too dark to see
if people are seated. The one Murray sat on the ball before crossing
for Donald Ford to score a last minute winner.

I always thought it was a Rangers v Arsenal friendly that was the official opening.
I thought it was Arsenal as well
The Arsenal game was the official centenary celebration match, on 20 Aug 73, but the Centenary Stand was opened way before then.

Amazingly uncomfortable to sit and watch a whole game
I only used it three times one game against Hearts in SC we won 5-2 I think Hearts were out the top league against a German side then Valencia . Would go anywhere else in the ground given the choice.

I imagine it was always regarded as a temporary measure and by then the club was planning the radical redevelopment of the Stadium that began in 1978.

I've found a Scum site that says the January 6th, 1973 game (Rangers won 2-1) was the first game:

I'm sure this was the game that l sat in the centenary stand for the first and last time.

I used to do that every game.
My memory is telling me we just freely walked around the back of it without any climbing and f uck knows how we got “under” the stand.
Maybe we did climb but I don’t recall that.

You’d often see the celtc end (as we called it back then) empty first half and pretty busy second half.
I don’t think that would happen as often as you remember, I’m sure we tried to shoot into the Rangers end in the second half.

IIRC it was 20p to get a transfer into the Centenary stand from the terracing

I remember one Saturday in November 1973 when the weather was horrendous they waived the 20p transfer charge and let us into the Centenary Stand for free. I remember being surprised by that as at that time the club was regarded as not being the most generous towards the ordinary punters. We played St Johnstone that day and won 5-1. The day itself was noteworthy as that mob lost 1-0 to Dundee in the League Cup Final and it was also the last game that Alfie Conn ever played for our first team. He was carried off with a bad knee injury, was out of first team action until the end of the season and was transferred to Spurs in the following close season.

I don’t think that would happen as often as you remember, I’m sure we tried to shoot into the Rangers end in the second half.
I only said that because the Rangers end was usually well populated at kick off and the celtc end nearly empty.
You’d stay in the Rangers end at KO no matter which way we were shooting then shunt to the celtc end at ht if we were going to shoot that way.
That was the scenario every* time that happened although as you say, we liked to shoot into the Rangers end second half.

We didn’t always win the toss and get our own way.

*Unless it was pishing from the heavens.

When i started going every week home and away from the 78/79 season we sat in the Centenary stand every other week until they built the Govan.
I loved it.

I remember one Saturday in November 1973 when the weather was horrendous they waived the 20p transfer charge and let us into the Centenary Stand for free. I remember being surprised by that as at that time the club was regarded as not being the most generous towards the ordinary punters. We played St Johnstone that day and won 5-1. The day itself was noteworthy as that mob lost 1-0 to Dundee in the League Cup Final and it was also the last game that Alfie Conn ever played for our first team. He was carried off with a bad knee injury, was out of first team action until the end of the season and was transferred to Spurs in the following close season.
We were allowed into the Centenary Stand for no extra against Dundee United in Feb 1979.
Not sure the reason behind it….

I imagine it was always regarded as a temporary measure and by then the club was planning the radical redevelopment of the Stadium that began in 1978.
The decision to seat it was made as a reaction to the scenes at the end of the CWC final in 1972.

We were savaged in the media and under pressure to be seen to do something to tackle fan behaviour.The club felt fan behaviour would improve if we were sat down.

Plans for the new stands were announced at the end of 1976 shortly after another battering from the media following the friendly with Aston Villa

I vaguely remember that

The work to install the seats was started in December 1972 and the new seats were in use for the first time v Celtic on 6th January,1973.
Have tickets in my collection for c*ltic 6th Jan; hibs 24th Feb (SC rd4) both blue section; and Ajax 16th Jan red section which would confirm this, MB.

Filth and Ajax admission £1; Hibs 80p.

Last edited:
Also known as the cemetery stand due to the lack of atmosphere in there
Always remember checking to make sure we could see both goals before taking our seats, those poles at the front which supported the roof could be a real nuisance. On sunny days visibility could also be a problem, I guess this is still the case for occupants of the Govan Stand on the few days during the football season that Glasgow is bathed on sunshine. I can also remember there was often a big copper posted near the boundary wall at the back of the Centenary Stand, close to the turnstile where you paid your additional 50p entry (think it was 50p for me and my dad, having already paid the ground entry fee at the turnstile on Edmiston Drive, although I was often lifted over). The policeman was there to stop anyone ambitious young guy who ran up the railway embankment and tried to climb the boundary wall, although I'm sure many would have made it over the years.

Well they will know that's for sure.

When i started going every week home and away from the 78/79 season we sat in the Centenary stand every other week until they built the Govan.
I loved it.
I started going 73/74 season,first game we beat Falkirk 2 1,my old man and uncle's lifted us over the turnstiles to get into Rangers End but I think they had to pay transfer to Centenary Stand as it had the big turnstiles you couldn't lift over.

The old covered terracing was last used v Hearts on Dec 2nd 1972, it was closed for the next two home games v Aberdeen (16th) and Ayr (30th) while it was re-constructed.
It opened for the Celtic game on the 6th Jan 1973. Tickets cost £1 for that game.
I cant actually recall any grand opening event.
In 72-73 the cost of entry was 30p to the Ground and 20p for transfer to the Centenary Stand.

Last edited:
Back