What has Bassey done to be dropped?

This is weird to say but at times it’s hard to understand how Barisic can have ever played well, he’s so predictable at times, his body shape and time he takes to wind up a cross is so predictable

I realise that’s a bit mental as I like him and he is class etc, but it can just look so off at times when he’s not playing well

He’s this seasons whipping boy because he had a rough start and Bassey showed well against lesser teams.

Lyon would’ve torn him to shreds. Defensively Borna has been pretty solid this season, folk also don’t like that he passes back a lot, but personally I’d rather he passed back when there’s nothing on than just whipped a cross in for the sake of it and we lose possession
Borna puts crosses in when they should be. He’s always been the same but for some reason this season people get raging. Like you say, far rather that than him just giving the ball away

Borna puts crosses in when they should be. He’s always been the same but for some reason this season people get raging. Like you say, far rather that than him just giving the ball away
Yep exactly it’s not and never has been his game just to whip balls in for the sake of it. Yes it might work sometimes but 9 times out of 10 we just end up losing possession

He had a tough shift in Perth not enough to be dropped in my opinion. Neither of our full backs, Tavs outstanding goal there aside, have started the season well and need rested.

Give Patterson and Bassey a run for their energy and enthusiasm, this team badly needs it.

If you want to still play captain Tav play him in place of one of the underperforming midfield 3.

Bit of a short memory there fella.

Borna took a certain corner that led to this:

filip-helander-fil-helander.gif

That said, he's not been great this season and Bassey should be in the team.
Fair enough lol.

Although, I do stand by my point saying Bassey should start.

Better option than Barasic right now. The poor kid must wonder what he has to do to get in this team! Feel for him. He did great at the start of the season. The minute Barisic is fit (even though he has not been good) Bassey gets dropped. Poor from the manager IMO
Barasic is by far better than Bassey and that’s how he gets selected before him

He’s this seasons whipping boy because he had a rough start and Bassey showed well against lesser teams.

Lyon would’ve torn him to shreds. Defensively Borna has been pretty solid this season, folk also don’t like that he passes back a lot, but personally I’d rather he passed back when there’s nothing on than just whipped a cross in for the sake of it and we lose possession
Bassey end product Is woeful

We could play 8 full backs they would still have one striker in the box to hit with crosses. Defending team having at least three or four giants surrounding him to make sure he doesn't head it. So predictable.

Nothing, but it’s a very hard squad for a young and inexperienced player to break into on a regular basis.

The manager clearly sees it as a risk, and in all honesty that viewpoint has it’s merits.

Possibly seeing more of Borna over Bassey to compensate for the inexperience of Simpson beside them. Wouldn't be the decision that i'd make but at some point we do need to get Borna back into some form. All that being said, Bassey has every right to be feeling a little hard done by.

I’m not a fan of barisic at all.

on Thursday night when he raised his arms to the crowd asking for more it angered me. He gives 100 percent when it suits him. He is more than capable of winning his battles but all to often he hides.

today what really annoyed me about him was the amount of times he crossed with his right and they weren’t the best. Bassey might not be a better player when both are on their game but he’s in better form at the moment

Bassey gives away too many stupid fouls but i agree he should be starting instead of Borna.

Borna is chronic defensively and morphed back to a shell of the play he can be.

Better option than Barasic right now. The poor kid must wonder what he has to do to get in this team! Feel for him. He did great at the start of the season. The minute Barisic is fit (even though he has not been good) Bassey gets dropped. Poor from the manager IMO
We were talking about this prior to the game, Barisic doesn’t look for it me.

Being saying since the season started- we need to find a way to get Patterson into the team.
His pace and drive is great and I feel it will really lift us- we are looking a bit predictable at the moment

We should've sold Barisic in the summer. I said it towards the end of last season as well that I thought he'd regressed from the season before. At his age, this summer was the last chance we'd get to fetch a decent fee for him.

Now we're left with a left back who has no pace, can't beat a man so he's easy to mark, crossing has been awful. Bassey deserves a sustained run in the team now.

My main issue with Barisic is just how immobile he seems atm. Dunno if it's an injury thing but he takes 10 minutes to turn, he's second to every ball (see their goal today) and he's getting turned far too easily with balls down the channel/on the inside of him.

Patterson especially should be playing

Based on a pretty mediocre outing vs Dunfermline? Not for me.

One thing in defence of both fullbacks, they have absolutely nobody in front of them a lot of the time due to us playing 'inverted wingers'. Often Tav looks ahead of him and there's absolutely nothing on other than firing it up to Morelos (or Roofe) and hoping they can hold it up.

Tav was at fault for their goal

And almost every corner he took was over hit.

You're at it hahaha...were you drunk watching the game?

There was a 2 mile gap between Goldson and Simpson (because Simpson hadn't squeezed over), Simpson then let the attacker waltz past him without making a tackle. Goldson recovered well to get a foot on the ball and Barisic was caught sleeping in no mans land.

The fact you think tav is at fault for there goal is enough for me to just not listen to a word you say

You must have missed their player turning Tav inside out before heading into the box, I'm guessing.

Last edited:
Bit of a short memory there fella.

Borna took a certain corner that led to this:

filip-helander-fil-helander.gif

That said, he's not been great this season and Bassey should be in the team.
There is no middle ground on FF you are either brilliant or mince.Borna needs a rest he has been our mainstay left back for a while now he was at the Euros struggling with injury and I think he should get a few weeks off to get his fitness and confidence back.Bassey is an able replacement.

I’m not a fan of barisic at all.

on Thursday night when he raised his arms to the crowd asking for more it angered me. He gives 100 percent when it suits him. He is more than capable of winning his battles but all to often he hides.

today what really annoyed me about him was the amount of times he crossed with his right and they weren’t the best. Bassey might not be a better player when both are on their game but he’s in better form at the moment
Dearie me.

Gerrard is big on seniority and it will take a lot for him to drop a first team player. He tends to give them every opportunity to turn things around.

Barisic was rightly dropped as his form was way off
Bassey came in and played well
Bassey had to isolate, Barisic comes back in and does well
Bassey gets a chance vs St Johnstone and is poor
Barisic is still the better LB and is getting back to form

bigger issues than the LB

Gerrard is big on seniority and it will take a lot for him to drop a first team player. He tends to give them every opportunity to turn things around.

Is that a long winded way of saying

Hypocritically plays favourites

But it still happened, which you've failed to acknowledge for some reason?

You said "Tav was at fault for the goal".

That sounds like it was his fault and his fault only.

He gets beat to easily on the wing but you've then got Goldson, Simpson and Barisic who don't cover themselves in glory - Simpson especially.

Is that a long winded way of saying

Hypocritically plays favourites
No I don't think it is.

Having a clear hierarchy within the dressing room is fundamental to how Gerrard wants to manage the dressing room and there is evidence within this squad of the benefits to doing that.

I'd don't think there is anything hypocritical about it.

There won't be many managers around who rotate the captain or drop him without giving him every chance to rectify things.

If you make a mistake dropping a very popular senior player you risk that relationship between the players and coaching team.

My personal view is that some of the leadership group do need to feel the fire under the feet and the youngsters, particularly Patterson and Bassey, given more game time.

It comes down to Gerrard realising the team is underperforming and probably thinking its best to persevere with experienced proven guys like Borna, even if hes out of form a little. Bassey looks really promising and personally Id play him now because he brings the pace and power we are lacking down that flank at times.

However due to him being inexperienced Gerrard is not going to take the chance I dont think.

Its not entirely unreasonable but given Motherwell are a physical team and Borna isnt somewhat fragile, strange in itself for a Croat, Id have given Bassey a start yesterday.

Back