What has Bassey done to be dropped?

I am not sure you can start Bassey with Simpson in a back 4. That left side is getting targeted if you do and having just seen Simpson's defending for the Motherwell goal, that would be a big concern.

I like the energy Bassey brings down our left side but he's still raw and will make wrong decisions at times.

Barisic at the moment looks off the pace & isn't contributing anywhere the level we've been used to.

Neither have really made the position theirs so far this season.

I didn't see the game yesterday so not a direct comment to that but, for us, substituting full backs can still be seen as an attacking change. If we were getting no joy from relying on Barisic crossing from wide positions then I don't see the harm in bringing Bassey on. He's a different type of threat, granted he's still pretty raw technically but his desire to drive further into the box than Barisic could change things and at least pose a different problem.

Better option than Barasic right now. The poor kid must wonder what he has to do to get in this team! Feel for him. He did great at the start of the season. The minute Barisic is fit (even though he has not been good) Bassey gets dropped. Poor from the manager IMO
I was hoping Borna had turned he corner after the tim game but he just looks shot of confidence

A lot happens after that which you've failed to acknowledge for some reason?
I get it, you don’t like Borna for some reason which you’re perfectly entitled to do, but Bassey wouldn’t have bettered either of our previous results.

This thread has convinced me, Gerrard has to go, he’s clueless tactically, and only plays his favourites. :rolleyes: Last time out Bassey was honking, Barasic hasn’t been up to his normal standards, but when he is theres no comparison.

I think Borna had a decent old firm game and a decent international game.

I think we miss Basseys pace and power. Bassey is still very raw but he is like Usain Bolt compared Borna in the pace and power department. Its when you see Bassey run and just push past players you realise how slow Borna is.

I get it, you don’t like Borna for some reason which you’re perfectly entitled to do, but Bassey wouldn’t have bettered either of our previous results.

I actually do like Barisic, I think he's been an excellent player for us. But his time is up. He looks scared of playing at times and no amount of gesturing to the crowd makes up for that. A full back with no pace and no ability to beat a man is going to struggle in our team.

I think Borna had a decent old firm game and a decent international game.

I think we miss Basseys pace and power. Bassey is still very raw but he is like Usain Bolt compared Borna in the pace and power department. Its when you see Bassey run and just push past players you realise how slow Borna is.

Exactly. Barisic gets brushed aside far too often by his opponents as well.

Gerrard seems to be very loyal to some players, some guys always start when fit even if they are going through a bad patch and not playing well and some other players in the same position who are in better form get dropped quickly.

Borna has struggled with fitness and form since the start of the season. Just like Kent I suspect Gerrard has been trying to play players in order to get them match fit. I am struggling to think of a player who has been consistently good so far. There has also been a lack of consistency in team selection too.

I actually do like Barisic, I think he's been an excellent player for us. But his time is up. He looks scared of playing at times and no amount of gesturing to the crowd makes up for that. A full back with no pace and no ability to beat a man is going to struggle in our team.

Exactly. Barisic gets brushed aside far too often by his opponents as well.
If his time is up, what about Goldson and the others who haven’t been as good as last season.

I don’t think his time is up, I still believe in him. I also think he’ll get better and we will get better again

If his time is up, what about Goldson and the others who haven’t been as good as last season.

I don’t think his time is up, I still believe in him. I also think he’ll get better and we will get better again

Goldson & co don't look as if they're struggling to run.

I am not sure you can start Bassey with Simpson in a back 4. That left side is getting targeted if you do and having just seen Simpson's defending for the Motherwell goal, that would be a big concern.
That I 100% agree with (Bassey and Simpson would worry me slightly)

Although somehow it 'feels' to me like goals from our Right hand side seem more likely??

Borna puts crosses in when they should be. He’s always been the same but for some reason this season people get raging. Like you say, far rather that than him just giving the ball away
You are correct it's safer crossing than making blunders when trying to pass.

That I 100% agree with (Bassey and Simpson would worry me slightly)

Although somehow it 'feels' to me like goals from our Right hand side seem more likely??
Kamara does such a good job protecting that left side that we don't get pumped there too often. Jack did a similarly good job when available on the other side and very rarely let anyone in behind him and never left Tav 2 v 1 like he was yesterday for their goal.

Whether it's Aribo, Arfield or Lundstram they consistently fail to track midfield runners into that right side.

Bassey is nowhere near as good as Barasic. He had a poor game last outing possibly needs a wee break. Especially with the team struggling. Might be back for the cup game.

Bassey has improved greatly this season, imo.

He still needs to rise a level to be a genuine competitor with Borna and I think he can manage that.

People maybe need to remember that he is still only 21 years old.
Borna has 7 years on him and anyone comparing the two should come back to this thread in 2028 and we can discuss it again B-D

Should be our first choice left back IMO.

He's been MOTM about 2/3 games already this season.

He's powerful and direct which is everything Barisic isn't (this season). Breath of fresh air.

Tonight showed why him and Patterson are the future, but not quite there yet. Immense energy, skill and power, but final ball still not quite there.

Within the next 2-3 years they’ll be our two full backs.

Really?

Compare Bassey's performances to Barisic's this year and it's a no brainer tbh. It was refreshing to see a full back trying to go past a man...with Barisic lately all we've had is crosses from 40 yards out.

Really?

Compare Bassey's performances to Barisic's this year and it's a no brainer tbh. It was refreshing to see a full back trying to go past a man...with Barisic lately all we've had is crosses from 40 yards out.

Drop off in crossing quality is glaringly obvious between the two. Bassey suits some games better than Barisic atm but Barisic is still light years ahead when fully fit.

Really?

Aye, it’s all well and good doing that but there needs to be quality at the end. Which I think he was really lacking tonight.

I like him, I feel he’s started the season very well and has been working on his final ball but don’t fancy him as first choice just now.

Aye, it’s all well and good doing that but there needs to be quality at the end. Which I think he was really lacking tonight.

I like him, I feel he’s started the season very well and has been working on his final ball but don’t fancy him as first choice just now.

Fair, but Barisic's deliveries have been atrocious all season as well. Against Dunfermline Bassey's were spot on.

The main difference is the direct running Bassey gives you...even just getting to the byline pulls their defenders all over the place.

I said it last week but Barisic would honestly be the easiest guy in the world to defend against if you were a half decent right back.

dt17 I honestly think you have this wrong mate. You won't change your mind on it, granted, but I genuinely think you're a bit off with this one.

As said on the other thread, for me Bassey isn't doing enough when he gets that ball and faces up opponents. Nothing is coming from those moments at all. He is either holding back, lacking confidence, or (and I don't think this is the case), doesn't have it in him in the first place.

I agree he has been good in games as well btw, I just disagree that he is ahead of Borna and tonight reminded me why.

He looks like a happy smiley chappy but I'd want him in the tunnel pre-match growling at the opposition just to see how many decide not to come out.

Really?

Go past a man and then do what?

He really has to improve his crossing. It seems to be his main weakness.

A lot of promising moments tonight and he seemed to playing with a lot of confidence. Hopefully he keeps it up and improves his crossing.

dt17 I honestly think you have this wrong mate. You won't change your mind on it, granted, but I genuinely think you're a bit off with this one.

As said on the other thread, for me Bassey isn't doing enough when he gets that ball and faces up opponents. Nothing is coming from those moments at all. He is either holding back, lacking confidence, or (and I don't think this is the case), doesn't have it in him in the first place.

I agree he has been good in games as well btw, I just disagree that he is ahead of Borna and tonight reminded me why.

What has Barisic done this season to be ahead of him?

Bassey has had 2/3 MOTM performances. Aye his final ball is poor at times but that'll come. We've seen against Dunfermline that he does have an end product.

Barisic has literally done nothing all season other than a corner for Helander's header.

He looks sluggish, can't go past his man, is too weak. Barisic's main attribute was his delivery and that's been well off as well.

Go past a man and then do what?

He got into an excellent position tonight to score. Unfortunately it was on his weaker foot and he had a wild swing at it.

Better option than Barasic right now. The poor kid must wonder what he has to do to get in this team! Feel for him. He did great at the start of the season. The minute Barisic is fit (even though he has not been good) Bassey gets dropped. Poor from the manager IMO
He couldn’t cross the road!

Fair, but Barisic's deliveries have been atrocious all season as well. Against Dunfermline Bassey's were spot on.

The main difference is the direct running Bassey gives you...even just getting to the byline pulls their defenders all over the place.

I said it last week but Barisic would honestly be the easiest guy in the world to defend against if you were a half decent right back.

I agree with you on lots of topics mate but I think you’re being really harsh on Barisic, particularly when you have a tendency to give Tav a free pass no matter how poorly he plays!

Last edited:
What has Barisic done this season to be ahead of him?

Bassey has had 2/3 MOTM performances. Aye his final ball is poor at times but that'll come. We've seen against Dunfermline that he does have an end product.

Barisic has literally done nothing all season other than a corner for Helander's header.

He looks sluggish, can't go past his man, is too weak. Barisic's main attribute was his delivery and that's been well off as well.

He got into an excellent position tonight to score. Unfortunately it was on his weaker foot and he had a wild swing at it.

This is the issue though, you're playing/dumbing everything Borna has done this season down to zero and then referencing the one game Bassey's delivery was good. (and it was Dunfermline).

Motherwell game alone, Borna is the guy who created the best chance with an intelligent / creative ball into Kent's feet.

That's just the last game off top of my head.

It's just my opinion but Bassey has had a couple of MOTM performances whereas, according to most on here, Barisic looks like his 'old self'. He genuinely looks like a shadow of the player from last season.

Players should be judged on current form and currently Bassey is better than Barisic.

Re: Tav, he's not hit the heights of last season but the difference is he doesn't have someone out performing him when they get the opportunity. Patterson in his appearances vs Dunfermline and Livi tonight has been pretty average IMO.

It's just my opinion but Bassey has had a couple of MOTM performances whereas, according to most on here, Barisic looks like his 'old self'. He genuinely looks like a shadow of the player from last season.

Players should be judged on current form and currently Bassey is better than Barisic.

Re: Tav, he's not hit the heights of last season but the difference is he doesn't have someone out performing him when they get the opportunity. Patterson in his appearances vs Dunfermline and Livi tonight has been pretty average IMO.
You keep saying he’s had 2/3 MOTMs but to my knowledge he has had 1, against lower league opposition.

I like Bassey a lot but I don’t think he should be in the team ahead of Barisic every game. Barisic has more quality and just needs to find his form.

In the first half he was getting an absolute pasting from Gerard every time he ran by him, and then when he dropped back Goldson was doing his nut at him. Think at one point he was actually scared to move.

Back