What has Bassey done to be dropped?

Brought plenty of energy, a great outball but his final delivery is piss poor. Same goes for Patterson tbh although defensively they were absolutely fine.

Managers always say if your out injured or suspended there's a risk that someone comes in and performs well and takes the shirt. In reality no manager does it, no matter how well they have played they get dropped as soon as the others available.

Aye, it’s all well and good doing that but there needs to be quality at the end. Which I think he was really lacking tonight.

I like him, I feel he’s started the season very well and has been working on his final ball but don’t fancy him as first choice just now.
His delivery is horrendous. He put some good balls in against Dunfermline but apart from that, brutal.

Can’t believe Kevin Thomson had Bassey motm, he was pretty hopeless in the final third all night.
I think in fairness to KT he explained his reasoning behind his selection in that Bassey worked tirelessly and brought stacks of energy and options to us attacking, I’m sure he also mentioned that some of his final delivery wasn’t great. I don’t particularly agree with his pick for MOTM but can see some logic in it.

Final ball poor but I’d have him ahead of Borna just now purely for his energy & enthusiasm right now.

Our main issues are the slow, predictable turgid build up. Borna is one of the main contributors to that,

Borna’s final ball is poor just now and it’s clear that Bassey’s working on his, but Bassey is currently superior in every other aspect of the game based on his form.

He’s got the jersey just now.

Bassey is still learning his trade. His final ball is nowhere near the standard required but the rest of his game is improving rapidly.

Until Barasic is fully fit and in his game Bassey will play. But don’t put more pressure in him he remains a work in progress with a lot yet to add to be a permanent 1st team player.

He’s making and getting into balls in positions that Barišić just isn’t right now. His final ball is a bit of a hit or a miss but it’s improving.

Tough choice for Gerrard as our first choice full backs aren’t firing on all cylinders and the two behind them are right up their backside pushing for their place.

Bassey works hard and his energy is great to see but his delivery in the final third is largely atrocious still. I get the feeling his future will see him play for a club that play a back three and he plays on the left side of that rather than as an out and out left back.

Can’t believe Kevin Thomson had Bassey motm, he was pretty hopeless in the final third all night.
His final ball wasnt great last night but he had the livi full back on toast with his power and energy. Was involved in plenty build up play and is a handful. Not MOTM though

Rotten today. Done my head in 2nd half especially, the space he had to drive forward or make runs on the outside and just never bothered.

very frustrating

Found it mind blowing when Bassey was forced onto his right foot and just…crossed it with his right foot, hadn’t seen such a thing for a while

Started well and dropped off dramatically. His defensive game really needs wok. Players go past him with ease
Fine with him playing today, we should’ve been much more comfortable, but I think in the bigger games we will be going with Borna

OT slightly, but presuming we’re just going Balogun now until Helander is back.

Expected to see Simpson today, but maybe Gerrard realises how weak he is and didn’t trust him.

OT slightly, but presuming we’re just going Balogun now until Helander is back.

Expected to see Simpson today, but maybe Gerrard realises how weak he is and didn’t trust him.
I think Gerrard made the right call. Griffiths is still a good player and he’d have been right up for it today until he shat it. Simpson would have crumbled

Thought Bassey was among the few who didn't totally let themselves down today. But lots of flaws in his game today. Attacking play mostly ineffectual (not entirely on him, but some poor crossing), too many misplaced passes.

Based on your logic Goldson and Tav should be dropped as well.
We don’t really have anyone who can replace Goldson. We’ve got a Croatian international with a wand of a left peg on the bench. You just wonder if we could’ve used him to make today a wee bit more comfortable.

This Bassey rotation experiment has to end now.

Is it because Barisic is incapable of playing 2 games in a week? if so then we need to do something about it and that's cash in and look for the long-term replacement in that case.

Barisic played 2 games a week for almost the entirety of last season.

The simple fact is that Barisic is shit out of form/struggling with injury/not up to full speed at the moment.

That was last season though and things change - sometimes quickly in football.

I'm not saying he can't play 2 games a week either. I'm wondering if that's the reason for the Bassey game time.

A 50% Barisic seems like a better option that Bassey at times.

I think you’re reading too much into it tbh.

Barisic managed to put in an outstanding performance in the old firm game so he still has it. I just don’t think he’s fully fit after his injury ridden summer and lack of pre season.

Barisic is the better player but Bassey is playing better right now, it really is that simple.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Barisic playing every game towards the end of October onwards.

Back