What has happened to Tav?

KirkieRanger

What has happened with our Captain? He used to be a deadly free-kick taker, but not anymore.Has he changed his boots or something? Could it be that he doesn't practice them anymore or has lost confidence in himself? Defences used to get worried and we would get excited when we were awarded a free-kick within shooting range but no more it seems.:confused:

W.A.T.P.

You're right mate but it's just that it was Tav who could take those chances from the free-kicks and usually could score from them.

W.A.T.P.

Absolutely, he has scored some absolute belters for us, its just gone all wrong lately though.

It's a strange one, I reckon he is trying too hard.

Tav feels the pressure of being our player to win things in attack. His pressure should be on being a defender. The lads head is confused and over used. Drop him for a rest for couple games. What can we lose? We've won nothing this year anyway.

What has happened with our Captain? He used to be a deadly free-kick taker, but not anymore.Has he changed his boots or something? Could it be that he doesn't practice them anymore or has lost confidence in himself? Defences used to get worried and we would get excited when we were awarded a free-kick within shooting range but no more it seems.:confused:

W.A.T.P.
Just his usual.

I’m far from his biggest fan, but instead of simply saying “he’s pish” there may be reasons for this. He’s played nearly every game this season so perhaps is bound to be fatigued, he’s having to cope with being an attacking threat and defensive rock simultaneously in a side with almost no other creative spark and where there is only one other defender (Goldson) who has played regularly throughout the season. Add in the team’s collective collapse in form and additional pressure of captaincy and there’s probably enough there to explain it. Having said that, part of being a captain is to be able to raise your game when it matters and lead by example and, for me, Tavernier doesn’t do that. Simplest answer in the short term is to give corner kick start and free kicks to someone else until he rediscover season his touch.

Confidence is low throughout the team right now and Tav is the definition of a confidence player.

Still easily one of our best players and by far the best RB in the league, anyone who thinks otherwise is suited to another sport quite frankly.

Barisic looks a better bet for set pieces now. Even halliday has shown that he can hit a decent free kick, as can candeias. Tavs monopoly on set pieces should be over, I'm struggling to remember the last decent free kick he scored.

When we beat St. Johnstone 5-1 in September.

He's more or less hit every one since bar a couple from Halliday and one from Barisic if I'm not mistaken.

Why can't our free kick takers practice. It's obvious they don't how many have we seen yards over the bar or hitting the wall.

Confidence is low throughout the team right now and Tav is the definition of a confidence player.

Still easily one of our best players and by far the best RB in the league, anyone who thinks otherwise is suited to another sport quite frankly.
He,s a terrible right back, but he,s a good attacking wide right midfielder, I would have him playing there and not fullback.

Why can't our free kick takers practice. It's obvious they don't how many have we seen yards over the bar or hitting the wall.

Have you watched our players doing shooting practice during the warmup? Rattling in shots with pinpoint precision yet when it gets to a game situation we sometimes look like we couldn’t hit a barn door.

The pressure of a matchday situation is the difference. Same with penalty shootouts, you can’t replicate the emotions of a matchday on the training ground, practice helps certainly but doesn’t guarantee anything.

Tav feels the pressure of being our player to win things in attack. His pressure should be on being a defender. The lads head is confused and over used. Drop him for a rest for couple games. What can we lose? We've won nothing this year anyway.
Honestly this backwards way of thinking is unbelievable, in the modern game and especially with our system a “fullbacks” has a much (if not more) in attacking than defending

Tav is crucial to our attacking play hence the number of assists he has had this year

This nonsense that he should just concentrate on defending is one of the reasons Scottish football is in the dark ages

I reckon Tav is absolutely knackered, physically and mentally and he needs rested. In fact, is he an ever-present this season?

Who steps in for him though? Flannigan, Polster, ?

Have you watched our players doing shooting practice during the warmup? Rattling in shots with pinpoint precision yet when it gets to a game situation we sometimes look like we couldn’t hit a barn door.

The pressure of a matchday situation is the difference. Same with penalty shootouts, you can’t replicate the emotions of a matchday on the training ground, practice helps certainly but doesn’t guarantee anything.
Ask David Beckham about practicing that's why he was the best at crossing and free kicks. He spent hours on the training field.

Ask David Beckham about practicing that's why he was the best at crossing and free kicks. He spent hours on the training field.

And was one of the best ever absolutely, at least in recent memory. Tav isn’t David Beckham no matter how long he spends practicing.

As I said, stick to another sport.
Here mate I,'ve played and coached football for 50 odd years, I know a poor defender when I see one, get him pushed forward on the right, get a defender behind him see the difference, you look and see how many goals we have lost down our right side with Tav either being caught up the park out of position or switching off at the back post, as I said good attacking player poor defensively

Here mate I,'ve played and coached football for 50 odd years, I know a poor defender when I see one, get him pushed forward on the right, get a defender behind him see the difference, you look and see how many goals we have lost down our right side with Tav either being caught up the park out of position or switching off at the back post, as I said good attacking player poor defensively

Tell me all about all these goals we've conceded because of him?

Remove the captaincy from him and he may release a lot of pressure.
He then may play better, i would give it to mcgregor.

If he is still here next season I think he will ask Gerrard to release him of the captain's role.

As for his form,he has been an automatic choice as there is no other player who can play that position and give him a break,it's been a longer season for him than any other player in the squad so I'm not surprised that he's running on empty.

Aye ok then,

So tell us who and where you have coached?

What gems have you uncovered?

If he is still here next season I think he will ask Gerrard to release him of the captain's role.

As for his form,he has been an automatic choice as there is no other player who can play that position and give him a break,it's been a longer season for him than any other player in the squad so I'm not surprised that he's running on empty.
It maybe time for Tav to find a fresh challenge and for us to cash in.
Might suit both parties.

Opinions are like arseholes , everyone got one

If you talk shite ill tell you that, no safe space here for you

'You'll tell me that'

Yes, you'll just give mindless abuse without offering any argument or reason. This is often what folk with lower intelligence do.

His crossing is dire, just can’t rely upon this guy.

A captain should be consistent.

I’m far from his biggest fan, but instead of simply saying “he’s pish” there may be reasons for this. He’s played nearly every game this season so perhaps is bound to be fatigued, he’s having to cope with being an attacking threat and defensive rock simultaneously in a side with almost no other creative spark and where there is only one other defender (Goldson) who has played regularly throughout the season. Add in the team’s collective collapse in form and additional pressure of captaincy and there’s probably enough there to explain it. Having said that, part of being a captain is to be able to raise your game when it matters and lead by example and, for me, Tavernier doesn’t do that. Simplest answer in the short term is to give corner kick start and free kicks to someone else until he rediscover season his touch.
He is what he is like it or not while he is with us and regularly getting played we just have to lump it.

Part of the reason our 4-3-3 is dysfunctional and people have been clamouring for months now to justify this admittedly strange feature of our team

Last edited:
Terrifying that you coach, presumably kids, and think the answer is to push him further up field.

It's clearly a daft opinion though.

See these types of posts, really irritating.

You'd be better of making a case for your position. Otherwise, there's not really much I can say.

Tav has a fan club. The members get awfully angry when others call him out.

Aye ok then,

So tell us who and where you have coached?

What gems have you uncovered?
To be honest I coached football for a number of years as well and to me Tavernier is a good attacking full back his problem is and therefore the teams is that he gets caught on the ball in no man's land to regularly which in turn leaves centre backs with no cover down his side, he can't make a decent run from a standing start as he he has no instant pace so when he has to stop a run he is on and no one's aside him for a pass he loses concentration and to often the ball, a ball getting played through to him is where he is at his best but I'm afraid all to often he costs us with his weak defensive side, my opinion of course.

See these types of posts, really irritating.

You'd be better of making a case for your position. Otherwise, there's not really much I can say.

Tav has a fan club. The members get awfully angry when others call him out.
I thought it would be fairly obvious why it's a daft opinion. For a RB his numbers are absolutely staggering. Of course he makes mistakes from time to time and can have a dip in form, that's what you get when you pay as little as we did for him. However, as bad as we are right now, addressing the RB is the absolute least of our worries. We are struggling at the moment because our middle and front 3 (Alfie apart) arent good enough. Kent for me has been a huge disappointment recently. I'd have been all for us tying him up permanently but his recent performances have been dreadful. Running into blind alleys, ignoring over lapping runs from the full backs, picking the wrong pass/shot. Candeias has been garbage recently. The less said about the midfield the better. Jack is far too passive and rarely dominates, Arfield looks like he's towing a caravan. It's a lack of goals from wide, drive, strength and creativity from midfield we're missing. This is why our season has nose dived. This is what we need to address as a matter of urgency in the summer.

I think he's being found out. It's also fair to say that he's probably mentally and physically drained by the number of games he's played.
Is more like it. Wouldn't like to think how many kilometres he has run this season. When did he last miss out from injury? In another time he'd be a bit of a warrior.

I thought it would be fairly obvious why it's a daft opinion. For a RB his numbers are absolutely staggering. Of course he makes mistakes from time to time and can have a dip in form, that's what you get when you pay as little as we did for him. However, as bad as we are right now, addressing the RB is the absolute least of our worries. We are struggling at the moment because our middle and front 3 (Alfie apart) arent good enough. Kent for me has been a huge disappointment recently. I'd have been all for us tying him up permanently but his recent performances have been dreadful. Running into blind alleys, ignoring over lapping runs from the full backs, picking the wrong pass/shot. Candeias has been garbage recently. The less said about the midfield the better. Jack is far too passive and rarely dominates, Arfield looks like he's towing a caravan. It's a lack of goals from wide, drive, strength and creativity from midfield we're missing. This is why our season has nose dived. This is what we need to address as a matter of urgency in the summer.

Yes and how will we address this without much needed funds?

Tavernier simply must be sold to allow for investment in better attacking positions.

A functional RB who can defend pretty much impeccably with better attackers, and we’re in a better position.

His free kicks have regressed and his balls into the box are painful. He’s inconsistent as well, can’t be having that for a captain.

Back