What is Morelos all about?

He's playing a very different game this season - teams are trying to mark him and his pulling defenders out of position, leaving players to score from lots of different positions

This is mainly for those who don’t grasp what Alfie is all about or doesn’t know their football.
Today was a great example that he is not all about scoring goals.
The work rate he puts in to draw players away for goals to be created and score is fantastic and many can’t see the ground work he does.
This is why Gerrard sticks by him,not just for the goals he scores but how the opposition find him as an absolute nightmare to play against.
However when he scores,it is very special. What would we do if we never had that cheeky wee smile when he lifts that trophy.It will be photos that will live with us forever.
He was brilliant yesterday

No matter what the football hipsters or purists try to convince you - Morelos has not been as good this season compared to last. Nowhere near it.

Yes, he's dropping deeper and linking up play more. Fair enough, but at the end of the day he's a centre forward and his lack of goals in 2020 is worrying.

To those who deny that - do you reckon he'll go for more than the £16m bid we rejected in the summer? I can't see it.

find this kind of thread a bit tedious, tbh. regardless of the role he plays, he was clearly off form for a bit, and is now performing much better.

Slating folk who criticised a while back for not "getting football" is nonsense. I could see fine that his role had changed, and the lack of goals was neither here nor there for me (and many others) but he's now playing much better than he was.
Correct the op was condescending drivel.

He doesn’t have a poor first touch? Not even remotely close. Intact it’s probably one of his best attributes I’d say.
Morelos usually does have a great first touch.

The reason some people think he doesn't is that he tries to offload first touch more than anyone else.

No-one else needs to link the play like that at the front with the ball pumped hard at him and someone running off him.

Sometimes it doesn't come off but if he took two touches each time he wouldn't create the opportunities he does.

His first touch is great 75% of the time and that's good enough with the way he plays.

No matter what the football hipsters or purists try to convince you - Morelos has not been as good this season compared to last. Nowhere near it.

Yes, he's dropping deeper and linking up play more. Fair enough, but at the end of the day he's a centre forward and his lack of goals in 2020 is worrying.

To those who deny that - do you reckon he'll go for more than the £16m bid we rejected in the summer? I can't see it.
congratulations for daftest comments of the day. clearly don't understand the game at all

Some people look at the 5-0 score line and think why is Morelos not a scorer.
However look at the out come 5 different scorers.
He set up Kent for the first.
Win a penalty.
Probably had the Ross County defence wary of him to free up Helander‘s goal.
And played his part for Aribo to score a terrific goal.
And that was just the first half.
What more can you ask of him?

He clearly hasn’t been but he’s obviously adapting to a changing team where he’s no longer the sole focus of the attack. These things can take time. He’s certainly sacrificing something for the time this season. Maybe stick him on penalties now, that’ll get the numbers up a bit.

congratulations for daftest comments of the day. clearly don't understand the game at all

Aye spot on mate, I don't understand the game at all. Brilliant. :D

People can kid on they're the armchair Guardiolas, but the fact is Morelos has not been as good this season. Why can't Rangers fans accept that? In fact, not even just this season but the whole of 2020 was night and day compared to 2019. Or are you genuinely trying to say Morelos is as good/better this season compared to last?

Win a penalty.

I thought he played well yesterday. But there's been plenty of games this season where he's been well off it.

Jack, along with Tav are our best ‘athletes’ IMO.

The engines they have are ridiculous, they are physical specimens that are out of this earth.

Jack has actually developed into a Docherty type of athlete IMO, he’s an absolute unit & can run for days.

I actually think Roofe has the best numbers at the club mate in terms of fitness/distance covered in games.

Probably as a result of working under Bielsa for a couple of seasons at Leeds.

Aye spot on mate, I don't understand the game at all. Brilliant. :D

People can kid on they're the armchair Guardiolas, but the fact is Morelos has not been as good this season. Why can't Rangers fans accept that? In fact, not even just this season but the whole of 2020 was night and day compared to 2019. Or are you genuinely trying to say Morelos is as good/better this season compared to last?

I thought he played well yesterday. But there's been plenty of games this season where he's been well off it.

He has had some good games in recent weeks and looks like he has lost a bit of weight since the end of last year as well but you're correct. I actually think people forget just how good he was from Jul - Dec 2019. He was sensational. He was a lot slimmer and sharper. He hasnt had a single performance in 2020 or 2021 that has been anywhere near peak Morelos from 2019 but he's obviously still contributing to the side with his all round game.

Win a penalty.

This is another thing people are good at on FF. They start making things up, or start bending the truth in order to suit an argument. Yes he set up our first goal and yes he won us a penalty but there is no need to enter into the maybes and probably's territory.

What exactly did he do for Aribo's goal??

This is mainly for those who don’t grasp what Alfie is all about or doesn’t know their football.
Today was a great example that he is not all about scoring goals.
The work rate he puts in to draw players away for goals to be created and score is fantastic and many can’t see the ground work he does.
This is why Gerrard sticks by him,not just for the goals he scores but how the opposition find him as an absolute nightmare to play against.
However when he scores,it is very special. What would we do if we never had that cheeky wee smile when he lifts that trophy.It will be photos that will live with us forever.
My daughter can't stand him.

'He's always falling.'

Me - 'Shut up you know nothing about football.'

Can his temper let him and us down? We've seen it. But what that boy has had to put up with beggars belief. I bloody love him and exasperatesd at the same time.

How good would it be if he scores the goal that clinches this title?

This is another thing people are good at on FF. They start making things up, or start bending the truth in order to suit an argument. Yes he set up our first goal and yes he won us a penalty but there is no need to enter into the maybes and probably's territory.

What exactly did he do for Aribo's goal??
Indeed, we’ve seen that before in the now infamous “he wasn’t dropped for Tyncastle, he was suspended” embarrassment.

Pot, kettle, black is definitely relevant here.

His movement off the ball is quite fantastic. He pulls defenders all over the place and creates space for other players.

His eye for goal is excellent. He holds up the ball and offered an out ball like no other striker in Scotland.

we need to remember our team has evolved. Last season our game plan was to get the ball to Morelos in or around the box. If he had a bad game the team had a bad game.

Now we have a far better style of play and he has adapted as well if not better than anyone else in our team.

Hos attitude and behaviour has also improved greatly. Not yet perfect. I love tge wee man he adds so much to the team.

Gets load ms of abuse and just gets on with it. Great asset to our club.

Indeed, we’ve seen that before in the now infamous “he wasn’t dropped for Tyncastle, he was suspended” embarrassment.

Pot, kettle, black is definitely relevant here.

Think it's best you take a back seat in these grown up debates.

And let's not forget the infamous DangerZone ditty's "Luis Suarez is an average footballer" and "James Tavernier has a weak mentality" over the last 12-18 months.

Drivel like that doesn't go forgotten, not even when you change your moniker.

You stick to Football Manager, and put me back on ignore, please.

He was definitely out of sorts for the first month or so of the season but since then he’s kicked on and been a really important part of the side.

He’s had his off days, like they all have, but he’s been really crucial in a lot of our good performances and wins.

Morelos has been used differently this year and it’s worked really well. If he does eventually head off in the summer, hopefully with a league winners medal in his pocket, then I’ll wish him nothing but the best.

I think people are falling over themselves to praise his link up play because he's not scoring the goals he used to, because we love him so much. In reality he gave the ball away loads yesterday and is generally quite slow in his movements at the moment. It's not been a great season for him, now matter how keen people are to spin it otherwise

Will love seeing the photos of Alfie celebrating with the trophy, with Gerrard, with Tav and Goldson. And then I hope he goes to a team in one of the big leagues; La Liga, EPL, Serie A seem most likely. Doesn’t seem to be any noise from Germany. But he’s too good for Lille and Ligue 1.

I think people are falling over themselves to praise his link up play because he's not scoring the goals he used to, because we love him so much. In reality he gave the ball away loads yesterday and is generally quite slow in his movements at the moment. It's not been a great season for him, now matter how keen people are to spin it otherwise
Worst post of the weekend goes to Manc bear.

2 or 3 poor passes. But assisted the opening goal and won the penalty that should have seen the game won at about 20mins.

Your footballing knowledge is startlingly poor.

All players misplace passes but Alfredo's go under the microscope more. He played well, set up Kent for the first goal. Kent should have returned the favour later in the game with his second header.

Kept on moving and creating space. I do wish we would find him more infront of goal rather than go wide.
Bingo.

If Alfie doesn’t play a perfect game, 100% pass completion, 100% shots on target, 100% chance conversion then that is all people need on here to say he was crap.

Yesterday he was involved in the first goal and won the penalty that should have ended the game as a contest.
He misplaced 2 or 3 passes. But also was involved in a lot of good link up play, showed good energy, desire and work rate.

Any normal observer whether a Rangers fan a neutral or a fan of the opponent would focus on the far bigger, more important, positive contributions that ultimately decided the outcome of the game.

But na, same haters on here still prefer to focus on the 2 or 3 heavy touches/passes. Tragic.

Last edited:
Very noticeable the opinions of such as Kevin Thomson & Neil McCann on him.
What was it Thomson said yesterday, something about he draws the opposition defenders to him just by his presence on the field and that creates space for others. Kent’s goal yesterday arguably a good example of that.

Occupies an entire backline by himself.

Like those who can’t enjoy 55 yet, I pity those who can’t enjoy Alfie in a Rangers jersey.

I’d love him to be the guy who scored the goal that confirmed 55. Would be a dagger through the heart to the mentally challengeds and bitter sweet for a few on here no doubt.

He has had some good games in recent weeks and looks like he has lost a bit of weight since the end of last year as well but you're correct. I actually think people forget just how good he was from Jul - Dec 2019. He was sensational. He was a lot slimmer and sharper. He hasnt had a single performance in 2020 or 2021 that has been anywhere near peak Morelos from 2019 but he's obviously still contributing to the side with his all round game.
Don’t engage with people who say he was crap all of 2020. They are out and out liars. He had man of the match by a landslide in some games on here. If they don’t want to engage in debate with a bit of honesty, don’t waste your time.

His movement off the ball is quite fantastic. He pulls defenders all over the place and creates space for other players.

His eye for goal is excellent. He holds up the ball and offered an out ball like no other striker in Scotland.

we need to remember our team has evolved. Last season our game plan was to get the ball to Morelos in or around the box. If he had a bad game the team had a bad game.

Now we have a far better style of play and he has adapted as well if not better than anyone else in our team.

Hos attitude and behaviour has also improved greatly. Not yet perfect. I love tge wee man he adds so much to the team.

Gets load ms of abuse and just gets on with it. Great asset to our club.
Look at the incident with Iacovitti I think it was. He ends up on the floor, Iacovitti walks over and through Morelos and slyly “kicks” at him a couple of times to try and get Morelos to react and get himself in trouble. Morelos completely ignored it. But the ref should have been pulling the County player up for his snide, cnuty behaviour

Last edited:
What was it Thomson said yesterday, something about he draws the opposition defenders to him just by his presence on the field and that creates space for others. Kent’s goal yesterday arguably a good example of that.

Occupies an entire backline by himself.

Like those who can’t enjoy 55 yet, I pity those who can’t enjoy Alfie in a Rangers jersey.

I’d love him to be the guy who scored the goal that confirmed 55. Would be a dagger through the heart to the mentally challengeds and bitter sweet for a few on here no doubt.

Some bears will never change their minds on Morelos mate, and that’s up to them.

But here’s something I’d suggest.

Alfredo Morelos, if sold for say even 15m in the Summer, will be Rangers most beneficial purchase in the club’s history.

Without him we would NOT have qualified for Steven Gerrard’s first two EL Group stages. We simply wouldn’t have. I accept we probably would have this season.

So he’s already made us 20m profit on his purchase ? That money’s been used to build our squad.

Add in that 15m ( or whatever ) and he will probably have made us 30m plus on that 1m investment.

Im pretty sure I know what our directors think of him, if some fans don’t.

Worst post of the weekend goes to Manc bear.

2 or 3 poor passes. But assisted the opening goal and won the penalty that should have seen the game won at about 20mins.

Your footballing knowledge is startlingly poor.

Haha, just keep making excuses and buying into this nonsense that his link up play is anything but average. His link up play is nothing on roofes for example.

Morelos is beyond criticism for some. I don't think he's playing badly but for his standards he's had far too many 6/10 performances this season.

Some bears will never change their minds on Morelos mate, and that’s up to them.

But here’s something I’d suggest.

Alfredo Morelos, if sold for say even 15m in the Summer, will be Rangers most beneficial purchase in the club’s history.

Without him we would NOT have qualified for Steven Gerrard’s first two EL Group stages. We simply wouldn’t have. I accept we probably would have this season.

So he’s already made us 20m profit on his purchase ? That money’s been used to build our squad.

Add in that 15m ( or whatever ) and he will probably have made us 30m plus on that 1m investment.

Im pretty sure I know what our directors think of him, if some fans don’t.
Aye, but probably gave the ball away twice in those games.

Unreal contribution when you look at it.

Of course there’s have been some very poor moments. But there have been many more and more important highs. 55 will be the highest so far.

Don’t engage with people who say he was crap all of 2020. They are out and out liars. He had man of the match by a landslide in some games on here. If they don’t want to engage in debate with a bit of honesty, don’t waste your time.
I don't think he was crap all of 2020, but I definitely expect a much higher level of him knowing what he is capable of. I'm not sure that makes someone less of a fan for expecting the best from our best players and saying so. If we remember how good he was up until December 2019, that's what I want to see.

He's not been crap, he's been adequate to good at times, but not as sensational as he was prior. But there's been glimpses of the pre 2020 form of late, so let's hope he keeps on that path and brings back the old Alfredo then we'll all be delighted.

Was it Neil McCann who said similar about Kent yesterday? He's hard on him when he's been off form, not because he doesn't like him but it's frustrating when we have a player we know is capable of so much not giving it week in and week out. He's still a massive fan of the player, he just wants more.

Aye, but probably gave the ball away twice in those games.

Unreal contribution when you look at it.

Of course there’s have been some very poor moments. But there have been many more and more important highs. 55 will be the highest so far.

Yes, agree, the second half of 19/20 was poor.

I’ve just watched us long enough to remember a lot of players that are generally deemed legends having long spells out of form too. And I mean including guys who made the greatest ever Rangers team.

All players misplace passes but Alfredo's go under the microscope more. He played well, set up Kent for the first goal. Kent should have returned the favour later in the game with his second header.

Kept on moving and creating space. I do wish we would find him more infront of goal rather than go wide.

There were posts in the match thread that had me thinking people expect a perfect game from him. Anyway it’s usually the same people itching to say “I told you so” who’re waiting for any little mistake. They’re clueless.

Look at the incident with Iacovitti I think it was. He ends up on the floor, Iacovitti walks over and through Morelos and slyly “kicks” at him a couple of times to try and get Morelos to react and get himself in trouble. Morelos completely ignored it. But the ref should have been pulling the County player up for his snide, cnuty behaviour
Exactly. He gets this treatment every single game. Yes he is no angel but there is no excuse for the constant baiting of him on the pitch and the constant abuse he gets off the pitch. He gets no protection at all.

People forget he is still a young man, in a foreign country struggles with the language. he came form very humble origins, he has had to fight for everything he has. Put all that together and he deserves a huge amount of praise for what he has achived in his career.

There were posts in the match thread that had me thinking people expect a perfect game from him. Anyway it’s usually the same people itching to say “I told you so” who’re waiting for any little mistake. They’re clueless.

If a forward has a perfect game, it’s nearly always because they haven’t taken enough risks.

You don’t break good teams down without taking risks.

And taking risks will involve great things coming off & some things not, by definition.

If a forward has a perfect game, it’s nearly always because they haven’t taken enough risks.

You don’t break good teams down without taking risks.

And taking risks will involve great things coming off & some things not, by definition.

Ironically the same people will defend Hagi losing the ball far more by saying just that. I agree though.

Haha, just keep making excuses and buying into this nonsense that his link up play is anything but average. His link up play is nothing on roofes for example.

Morelos is beyond criticism for some. I don't think he's playing badly but for his standards he's had far too many 6/10 performances this season.

Im yet to see hard evidence of your comparison to Roofe mate.

Roofe’s been injured a lot I accept. Mind you that’s a factor In It’s own right you want to make of the players.

Id be very interested if one of our excellent stattos on FF could illustrate this. If so I’ll gladly accept your point, but to my naked eye & based upon purely a subjective reference to the season, Morelos is available for more passes than Kemar & so is likely to have more misplaced passes.

Back