What is Morelos all about?

He was excellent today but to suggest hes performed to that level all season and that people couldn't see it is just wrong.

90% of fans realise he's playing a different role but it was clear he was low in confidence earlier in the season.

An in form Alfie for the rest of the season will see us wrap the league up in March and quite possibly go deep into the Europa.

Long may it continue.

This is mainly for those who don’t grasp what Alfie is all about or doesn’t know their football.
Today was a great example that he is not all about scoring goals.
The work rate he puts in to draw players away for goals to be created and score is fantastic and many can’t see the ground work he does.
This is why Gerrard sticks by him,not just for the goals he scores but how the opposition find him as an absolute nightmare to play against.
However when he scores,it is very special. What would we do if we never had that cheeky wee smile when he lifts that trophy.It will be photos that will live with us forever.
Brilliantly worded.

This is mainly for those who don’t grasp what Alfie is all about or doesn’t know their football.
The work rate he puts in to draw players away for goals to be created and score is fantastic and many can’t see the ground work he does.
This is why Gerrard sticks by him,not just for the goals he scores but how the opposition find him as an absolute nightmare to play against.
However when he scores,it is very special. What would we do if we never had that cheeky wee smile when he lifts that trophy.It will be photos that will live with us forever.
Would need to watch it back but KT on commentary was talking about Morelos dropping off the front, sure he said something like he’d been speaking to Arfield about it and they know Scottish defenders are attracted to the ball much more than south of the border and more so because Alfie’s a bit of a target. So him dropping deep creates holes for Kent, Hagi, Aribo etc

I love Alfie but at times it’s so frustrating watching him in games ... one minute I’m screaming at the tv for his heavy touches or offside then right after I’m praising him for a great assist or goal o_O;)

A couple of slack passes aside (which he worked back to cover for) he was excellent again. Unlucky with his shot that the keeper saved in the 2nd half. Looked really hungry

Morelos is a key player in our system, whether it's because of his ability to score goals or his willingness to engage in physical confrontation. He just draws defenders towards him. It opens up all kinds of space for our wingers and midfielders to exploit. Today was a perfect example.

Edit: Best example was Kent's goal today, their entire central defence went to challenge him for a header, he just dinked it into Kents path.

We've adapted to be less reliant on him. Look how we fell away last season when his goals dried up.
Last season he scored, I think, nearly thirty percent of our goals.
This season, it’s a little more than ten.
A much healthier position for us, as a team, to be in.

You can see what he brings to the team, he's a focal point even when he's playing poorly. There's a presence that Ced doesnt have yet.

That said, I was watching back old Rangers videos last night and the 1-0 Ryan Jack came on. Morelos was sensational, and the thing that really struck me was his build. He's probably bigger and stronger today, but then, he looked about a stone lighter yet was still throwing about big Benkovic for fun. He's just naturally strong, and I'm wondering where, or why, this weight gain came from. He doesn't need it, and hes a poorer player for it.

Happy because he's contributing, but I'd be really interested to know what has happened there.

I thought he was excellent today. You are spot on. I wont bother adding to it as I've been banging this drum for weeks.

hopefully he can keep up the form for the next game, would be nice to hear wheezy sexchat line sounding Crocker in a sad mood as he's been for most of the season

especially doesn't like it when Morelos is having a good game

You can see what he brings to the team, he's a focal point even when he's playing poorly. There's a presence that Ced doesnt have yet.

That said, I was watching back old Rangers videos last night and the 1-0 Ryan Jack came on. Morelos was sensational, and the thing that really struck me was his build. He's probably bigger and stronger today, but then, he looked about a stone lighter yet was still throwing about big Benkovic for fun. He's just naturally strong, and I'm wondering where, or why, this weight gain came from. He doesn't need it, and hes a poorer player for it.

Happy because he's contributing, but I'd be really interested to know what has happened there.

My personal opinion on his physical development is that he is training hard and eating plenty, and is most probably taking in a fair bit of protein and creatine too.

As you note, he is a very strong player physically, and opponents often just "bounce off" him, which is pleasing. This is only one aspect of his game of course. He is much more than a physical player in my opinion -- personally, I feel that he has plenty of ability with the football, moves well, passes well, and strikes the ball very well. I particularly enjoy the danger he poses when he takes 1-2 touches (often only 1 touch) and releases a shot in-and-around the box.

He's been playing a more rounded role in many matches so far this season, and speaking for myself, I feel he looks like a more complete player.

Last edited:
If three players rush to mark Alfie, and leave space for another player to drill one home, even if he didn't provide an assist or have a shot on target, then Alfie's done his job, it's as good as a goal to me.

hopefully he can keep up the form for the next game, would be nice to hear wheezy sexchat line sounding Crocker in a sad mood as he's been for most of the season

especially doesn't like it when Morelos is having a good game
As we heard in last O/F game “ohhhhh and that’s 14 games he hasn’t scored in against Celtic now “, he’s a fat mincer who’s been somehow groomed by the mentally challengeds , can’t wait until he has to commentate when we win the league .

Alfie is one of the best passers of a ball we have, if you dont think so.... pay more attention:))

People won’t appreciate just how good this boy is until he moves on. They’ve got a boy up front for them who has clearly has talent but has chucked it because they didn’t let him go. For all the different things that have gone on with Alfie, and sometimes he’s let us down, I’ve never felt that he’d chucked it. He’s got a brilliant attitude despite being portrayed as a moody trouble maker. He’s the best striker we’ve had for a long long time and he’s up there with Tav as being the most worthy of this upcoming title win.

Can I just say, that as by far the most loathed footballer in Scotland by both opposition sides and media, and one of the most loathed in the history of our game - I love that pretty soon all of these bitter fannies won’t be able to go onto sports news sites or pick up a paper without seeing Alfie’s cheeky grin with the Premier League trophy in hand and a winners medal round his neck. It is going to be splendid B-D

The best strikers don’t have to score goals.
It is a strange one, but i think this is the best he has played over a season in his time with us.

Has become a modern forward.

I think his performances this season could see him going to a higher caliber of team, even taking into account the drop in actual goals scored.

His game has came on leaps and bounds and for me shows he has the maturity and discipline to follow a plan, an asset that was questionable at best in the past. It is no longer all about him, he has developed and understands the nature of a team sport and the importance of playing for the team.

He could quite easily slot in to the front three of any top team in any top league and not look out of place. I really feel he has came on that much.

Most squads in Europe would be enhanced with him in them.

Love the wee man and will be sad to see him go when inevitably does leave. He will go with my best wishes though and is someone who's career progression i will follow with interest.

My personal opinion on his physical development is that he is training hard and eating plenty, and is most probably taking in a fair bit of protein and creatine too.

As you note, he is a very strong player physically, and opponents often just "bounce off" him, which is pleasing. This is only one aspect of his game of course. He is much more than a physical player in my opinion -- personally, I feel that he has plenty of ability with the football, and strikes the ball very well. I particularly enjoy the danger he poses when he takes 1-2 touches (often only 1 touch) and releases a shot in-and-around the box.

He's been playing a more rounded role in many matches so far this season, and speaking for myself, I feel he looks like a more complete player.

Absolutely agree with all that. As I say, he is still effective, but if you put that extra yard into his game - which, watching those games back, he had before - is when you really get special. I think some folk forget just how amazing he was in those early games. You can say it's the role or whatever - that's a part of it - but I still think there's a wee bit of zip missing that comes down to conditioning.

He frustrates me more than just about any Rangers player I’ve watch in the last 50 years. At times he is head and shoulders better than anyone at the club. Not just his striking but his touch, vision and passing. He’s also strong as an ox and as has an amazing turn of pace. His potential is a top English, Spanish or Italian side. This is not a criticism; he could be as good as I’ve seen at Rangers and that includes Baxter, Cooper, Laudrup and even Gascoigne.

All of them have bulked up. Look at aribo now compared to before the original lockdown in 2020. I think it's to do with fitness in general we are much fitter

He is having to do a lot less this season. He has carried us on his back previously. He gets a raw deal which pisses me off tbh.
Spot on mate, I’d rather have a full team chipping & taking responsibility than one man having to do majority of it on his own.

It’s what makes us a team.

Alfie always will get a raw deal, some formed opinions on him years ago & cant’t change their minds.

Others don’t think he’s contributing, which is their right. But he’ll always have thousands of fans behind him.

I wonder what people on here think about his first touch? I think it can often be pretty bad tbf.

Can anyone give an example of a player that has improved their first touch over their career?

Genuine question btw, because I'm wondering if it's a skill that you just "have" or if there are players that have acquired it through practice.

There have been times when he's been very poor no matter what role he's played, there's also been times when he has been excellent and good in the role detailed in the original post, or as the main striker.

This season has been a mixed bag from him

All of them have bulked up. Look at aribo now compared to before the original lockdown in 2020. I think it's to do with fitness in general we are much fitter

That's part of my point though mate, and I agree. Someone like Aribo did need an extra stone or two to stand up to it. Even now I'd say Aribo has to level up a wee bit physically if he wants to become a regular for us.

Morelos was a natural warrior in 2019; he looked much lighter yet was still throwing about the likes of Benkovic like an empty tracky. Personally, just find don't understand why we've made the "buffalo" even bigger.

That's part of my point though mate, and I agree. Someone like Aribo did need an extra stone or two to stand up to it. Even now I'd say Aribo has to level up a wee bit physically if he wants to become a regular for us.

Morelos was a natural warrior in 2019; he looked much lighter yet was still throwing about the likes of Benkovic like an empty tracky. Personally, just find don't understand why we've made the "buffalo" even bigger.
Was he fit though?

I dont know the reasons behind it but with all the sport science stuff there will be a reason behind it.

I would partly agree with this, Waghorn is another example of someone who has bulked up too much.

Alfie was strong as an ox when he was a 20 year old kid who had signed from Finland, this season he does seem a bit more muscular.

I assume with our SS team, they obviously have a better idea on the benefits it may have for him.

He isn't interested, he is a liability, he is a waster, he can't be trusted, he can't score against celtc/big teams, he wants away... it is always the same 'cut and paste' nonsense I always see about a guy who is a bloomin' very good and very important player for us. He has been a role model professional with Rangers, a player we should be very proud of having play for us, and what he does back home should be on the front cover of every paper in Scotland. An amazing young man.

Should shoot more but.......

Actually a good post.

I wonder what people on here think about his first touch? I think it can often be pretty bad tbf.

Can anyone give an example of a player that has improved their first touch over their career?

Genuine question btw, because I'm wondering if it's a skill that you just "have" or if there are players that have acquired it through
He doesn’t have a poor first touch? Not even remotely close. Intact it’s probably one of his best attributes I’d say.

He isn't interested, he is a liability, he is a waster, he can't be trusted, he can't score against celtc/big teams, he wants away... it is always the same 'cut and paste' nonsense I always see about a guy who is a bloomin' very good and very important player for us. He has been a role model professional with Rangers, a player we should be very proud of having play for us, and what he does back home should be on the front cover of every paper in Scotland. An amazing young man.
Concur

Jack is an absolute machine. Without going all Graham Spieres, his build and natural fitness is ridiculous.
Jack, along with Tav are our best ‘athletes’ IMO.

The engines they have are ridiculous, they are physical specimens that are out of this earth.

Jack has actually developed into a Docherty type of athlete IMO, he’s an absolute unit & can run for days.

Been saying this all season, he occupies two players at a time. They can let him go if they like but he'll punish you. They can try to man mark one one one, he'll battle you and win. You can stick two on him and it does nullify the goal threat but the fact it takes two of you to mark him leaves space for the goals we've scored.

Superb today and a superb player for us.

He can best be described as splits opinions their is a certain minority who believe he is only there to score goals which has been his main role previously.
I personally think he is developing into the role he now plays as part of the front 3 exceptionally well his movement and ability to drag defenders all over is allowing others players to get in to goal scoring positions

I think the role of the role of the modern number 9 has evolved a lot. Look down south, teams like City, Liverpool, Utd, don't really play with a number 9 that scores 25+ goals a season now, it's all about build up play & goals coming from all over the park so you are less predictable.

That's what Morelos has evolved his game to become, & why we in turn are playing better as a team in my opinion.

maturing as a player and a man this current Alfredo is a asset to any top team,long may it continue

And yet the petty jibes and the sniping were still present from the usual suspects in the match thread. Had another cracking game today and his cushioned header for the opener was lovely.
He was my call for MOTM, had he gotten 90’s he would have been.

Alfredo is a menace all over the park and the work he does to open teams up is immense.

Granted he can be a little over cautious from time to time playing the ball from mid back to defence, but his movement is superb.

Valuable player this season again.

Been saying this all season, he occupies two players at a time. They can let him go if they like but he'll punish you. They can try to man mark one one one, he'll battle you and win. You can stick two on him and it does nullify the goal threat but the fact it takes two of you to mark him leaves space for the goals we've scored.

Superb today and a superb player for us.
It's little wonder we saw the very best of Scott Arfield with Alfie playing this new role.

His goal against Aberdeen at Ibrox being the perfect example.
Alfie never went near the ball, just made a run that completely froze 3 Aberdeen defenders and left Arfield with the freedom of the pitch.

Back