What is Morelos all about?

This is mainly for those who don’t grasp what Alfie is all about or doesn’t know their football.
Today was a great example that he is not all about scoring goals.
The work rate he puts in to draw players away for goals to be created and score is fantastic and many can’t see the ground work he does.
This is why Gerrard sticks by him,not just for the goals he scores but how the opposition find him as an absolute nightmare to play against.
However when he scores,it is very special. What would we do if we never had that cheeky wee smile when he lifts that trophy.It will be photos that will live with us forever.
A fine example of his distribution in particular is when he came deep and got the ball then came back with it past the halfway line turned and long passed with a pinpoint fizzing ball across the width of the pitch to Tav on the other side with effortless ease. He’s really improving his all around game now and although the goals aren’t as frequent as last season he offers so much more that you have alluded to in you OP. B-D

My take on Alfie is he isn’t allowed to play his own game in the spfl. If he is in line with the last defender then he is offside. If he is in a 50/50 tackle then he is in the wrong.
he gets kicked all over the place and as soon as he looks at someone the wrong way he gets booked. He sees other players getting away with hard tackles against us and thinks its all right for him to do it but referees don't agree.
the manager has seen this and used him to pull away defenders to give others space and Alfie is doing it well.
he lost the ball a couple of times today and was busting a gut to get it back.
i think he is doing good and he is our Alfie.

It's been mixed at best mate, not entirely his fault though.

He's being asked to play a role that isn't suited to his strengths, does well sometimes and is also capable of being close to awful

Still time for him to make it a good one though, hope he does.
I disagree but it’s all about opinions.
And we’re heading to a title win so who gives a f*ckB-)B-DB-DB-)

Jack, along with Tav are our best ‘athletes’ IMO.

The engines they have are ridiculous, they are physical specimens that are out of this earth.

Jack has actually developed into a Docherty type of athlete IMO, he’s an absolute unit & can run for days.

There's a reason why both Gerrard and Clarke have Jack as a non-negotiable, number one starter. Even listening to the players, he's the best - Big Fil says he's the best trainer he's ever worked with!

Jack is just exceptional at this point. See if he had that wee attacking edge to his game, he'd be on another level, like big club EPL level. He's nails. I think the jobbers think twice about getting stuck in when they know he's playing because he's very likely to leave one in you as well.

Jack, along with Tav are our best ‘athletes’ IMO.

The engines they have are ridiculous, they are physical specimens that are out of this earth.

Jack has actually developed into a Docherty type of athlete IMO, he’s an absolute unit & can run for days.
You won't be surprised to know Jack ran Docherty the closest in the bleep test last year.

Hopefully he stays fit for the rest of the season because he's so important both domestically and in europe.

It's little wonder we saw the very best of Scott Arfield with Alfie playing this new role.

His goal against Aberdeen at Ibrox being the perfect example.
Alfie never went near the ball, just made a run that completely froze 3 Aberdeen defenders and left Arfield with the freedom of the pitch.

Serginho, Brazil. 1982 World Cup.

A true lesson at the highest level of football for off the ball ‘secondary’ running.

Alfie has learned this, with brilliant coaching from Beale.

His goal return obviously hasn't been the same this season but his overall play and work rate for the team has been superb all season. Said for a long time on here once he's gone people won't realise how important he is to the team and its going to cost more than £1m to replace him.

So pleased for Alfredo that the pressure of being the goal scorer has been shared by so many of our other players this season it lets him showcase his other skills being a nightmare to play against :))

Its no coincidence one of the only games he’s missed was our worst result of the season. That sneaky fucking suspension (Hi Clare, you mentally challenged witch) cost us the LC as far as im concerned. Pretty much the only ‘violent play’ citing all season, no?

Alfie's all round game has improved beyond recognition this season, I think he will always be a starter under this management team, who have obviously worked hard on that side of his game to the benefit of the team.
The only downside is that he might not command the same transfer fee as he had previously due to his lack of goals.

We've adapted to be less reliant on him. Look how we fell away last season when his goals dried up.

True, but huge credit to Alfie for changing to be a better, less selfish team player. Maybe on reflection his struggles in the first months of this season were just him adjusting to what Gerrard was asking of him. I believe he is a better player now than 15 months ago because he has added to his game and can play multiple roles.

He doesn’t have a poor first touch? Not even remotely close. Intact it’s probably one of his best attributes I’d say.
Hmmm. Weird. Ive seem him pretty regularly try to control the ball (particularly with his back to goal), and it's really loose, too far away from him.

And he does bad passes quite a lot. Like a few in every game at least.

Think you're spot on mate. Was clear to see when he won the header with 2 Ross County guys on him for the first goal. Thought he had an excellent game which was echoed by the gaffer in the post match presser.

This is mainly for those who don’t grasp what Alfie is all about or doesn’t know their football.
Today was a great example that he is not all about scoring goals.
The work rate he puts in to draw players away for goals to be created and score is fantastic and many can’t see the ground work he does.
This is why Gerrard sticks by him,not just for the goals he scores but how the opposition find him as an absolute nightmare to play against.
However when he scores,it is very special. What would we do if we never had that cheeky wee smile when he lifts that trophy.It will be photos that will live with us forever.
I love him

He’s had a good season all round. Totally different style from last year.
Agree. Some people look at the goals drying up and think he has halved in value.

I strongly disagree. This season he is showing far more maturity, playing with discipline (not just cutting out the petulance that the media love to hate, but taking instruction and playing to our system).

The adaptability he has demonstrated has been excellent, and he's such an important part of the team (numbers aside).

Agree. Some people look at the goals drying up and think he has halved in value.

I strongly disagree. This season he is showing far more maturity, playing with discipline (not just cutting out the petulance that the media love to hate, but taking instruction and playing to our system).

The adaptability he has demonstrated has been excellent, and he's such an important part of the team (numbers aside).

Very much reminds me of the opposite of Boyd. Boyd largely was a passenger. He waited for other to create and would do very little to make opportunities himself. To his immense credit of course he was blessed with incredible finishing skills and a knack of being in the right place at the right time. But that's why his second spell was us was so poor. The team around him wasn't good enough to make him look good.

Morelos is a player who makes his team mates look good. His work rate is excellent (not just running channels and dragging players out of position but I can't have been the only one watching him busting a gut to get back the odd time Ross County were countering). He is also surprisingly unselfish considering his reputation. His finishing has been a bit lacking this year, but his performances are a large part of why we are where we in the league and Europe this season.

Love him

His overall team performances this season have been incredible. The work he does for others is why we are where we are. I hate the way he gets judged on goals constantly. He occupies a whole defence on his own, and by dropping in deep creates the space for the likes of Kent & Roofe to hit that penalty box.
He’s not been incredible, let’s not be silly.

He has, however, really improved in recent weeks and was excellent yesterday.

He’s not been incredible, let’s not be silly.

He has, however, really improved in recent weeks and was excellent yesterday.
His off the ball and team performances have been incredible. He's added so much to his game this year, does so much selfless off the ball work, but he's not scored 20 goals so he must be having a shite season. I'm not having that.

Very much reminds me of the opposite of Boyd. Boyd largely was a passenger. He waited for other to create and would do very little to make opportunities himself. To his immense credit of course he was blessed with incredible finishing skills and a knack of being in the right place at the right time. But that's why his second spell was us was so poor. The team around him wasn't good enough to make him look good.

Morelos is a player who makes his team mates look good. His work rate is excellent (not just running channels and dragging players out of position but I can't have been the only one watching him busting a gut to get back the odd time Ross County were countering). He is also surprisingly unselfish considering his reputation. His finishing has been a bit lacking this year, but his performances are a large part of why we are where we in the league and Europe this season.

Love him
I agree 100% with this mate. Against a low block (which is 90% of our games) Without him occupying 2/3 defenders, dragging them all over the park to create space for others to play in we wouldn't be as comfortable as we are.

At times his touch and finishing has been off. He's had a temper tantrum now and again, but without his off the ball work we struggle. 1st name on the team sheet every week, whether he's scoring goals or not.

Great turn on him today, instrumental in picking the pocket of jackovitti for the penalty to then be given. When he does that cleanly, there's no one better. Surprisingly, on Sprtscene last night though - just had to watch it - M Stewart decrees it to be no penalty at all - really, should have known better on that. Alfie though, got to love him !!

He put in a very good shift yesterday and contributed massively to the win.

Regarding his overall form this season, I think it's right he's been questioned at times. Lets not kid ourselves on he has been good or great in every game he's played, he's had more than his fair share of poor or very average performances this season.

The manager, pundits and ex-pro's alike have all commented on his dip in form so this isn't anyone being a "Morelos hater" as the children on here like to hit out with.

Last few weeks I've seen performances from Morelos that I know he's capable of, that's all we're asking for is more of them going forward.

Last edited:
Think kt mentioned it on commentary some players just attract the opposition.

Everyone knows if he's given space and time he will score so players are subconsciously drawn to stop him.

The number of goals we score because players are drawn to him and out of position is pretty unreal.

Is he having a season like last no and tbh I don't think the front 3 had fully clicked this year at the same time but he is key to how we play.

When you look at our goals they are spread around but prob overall assist and scoring wise heavily weighted to our defence.

If we get recruitment right and replace what we sell with similar standard then we will have some team Going forward this team has potential to be very special.

Was great to see him play like that yesterday .
Within the first minutes he had set up Kent and steamrolled them for a penalty which could have finished the match there and then.
No daft challenges or tantrums just as importantly .

You need to appreciate the new role he is playing which is benefitting the team. His assist for kent yesterday was great.
I just wish he would tighten up on his passing a bit when he drops deep as every game he seems to make a really slack pass leading to us being hit on the counter

Last edited:
Its no coincidence one of the only games he’s missed was our worst result of the season. That sneaky fucking suspension (Hi Clare, you mentally challenged witch) cost us the LC as far as im concerned. Pretty much the only ‘violent play’ citing all season, no?

It’s incredible when you put it in that context Dougie.

Disgraceful.

It must be more noticeable cause he’s not scoring as many goals! He always gives 100% though and it only frustrates me because i know how good he can be!
It's more noticeable because there are a few people here jump on every mistake or bad pass he makes and it gets highlighted more than any other player.

find this kind of thread a bit tedious, tbh. regardless of the role he plays, he was clearly off form for a bit, and is now performing much better.

Slating folk who criticised a while back for not "getting football" is nonsense. I could see fine that his role had changed, and the lack of goals was neither here nor there for me (and many others) but he's now playing much better than he was.

Last season if Alfie didn’t score we were in trouble. This year we are getting goals from multiple players. Make no mistake, Alfie’s change to being a more rounded team player is one of the reasons for that.

His movement and fear he gives defenders is one reason why StevieG has his name amongst the first on the team sheet when he’s available.

It would be honest to say he hasn’t always had great games this season but very few players can be consistently at the high level he sets. His own standards have him judged harshly at times.

In summary, 55 is coming and Alfie has played a major part in its arrival and I can’t wait to see him giving that trophy a big hug with his cheeky smile.

Good game yesterday a few slack passes but overall very decent game, header to Kent for the first goal and winning the ball for the penalty.

Alfie could well be staying at Ibrox for a long time.
Highly probable he will be playing in CL group stages next season.
An extended contract after 55, no rush for him to leave.

On his game he is utterly magnificent and a great example of a modern day centre forward who plays the lone striker role. Strength, ability, goals and assists.

Off his game he is as frustrating as any Rangers player in my lifetime, because you know how good he can be.

Pretty sure KT mentioned on comms yesterday he loves watching him because of his all round game, bringing others into it, work rate, hold up etc

Alfie is not under as much pressure to carry us with largest responsibility for scoring our goals. His role has changed and the team is coming first ahead of the individual. He is occupying defenders well and working on all round game. Even though he is not hitting the back of the net as often he is being denied chances like the penalty he won yesterday Biton rugby tackling him and so on. A bit like Hagi and perhaps Kent on occasion I feel bad for them when they work hard and get decent amount of shots without scoring.

He is not our most talented player, there is some players in our team far more talented.

He is however our best player IMO and this season has proven it to me, we all knew he could turn and hit in the box, we all knew he could roll defenders and get through on goal, what he has shown this year is an ability to use the attention he receives to the teams advantage even if it sacrifices personnel glory for himself. Love this wee man and it would have been a crime if he was allowed to leave before we got pictures of him holding a trophy in a Rangers shirt.

Think kt mentioned it on commentary some players just attract the opposition.

Everyone knows if he's given space and time he will score so players are subconsciously drawn to stop him.

The number of goals we score because players are drawn to him and out of position is pretty unreal.

Is he having a season like last no and tbh I don't think the front 3 had fully clicked this year at the same time but he is key to how we play.

When you look at our goals they are spread around but prob overall assist and scoring wise heavily weighted to our defence.

If we get recruitment right and replace what we sell with similar standard then we will have some team Going forward this team has potential to be very special.
Correct, and he has been mature enough to adapt to different role, for those who moan that he’s not scoring enough, have a look at Spurs and Harry Kane, his goals tally have dropped, but the space he creates for his team mates makes more chances for the team, and he will still get plenty, as will Alfie.

Back