What is our greatest ever European result?

Our greatest result in Europe?

• Wolves 1961

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Inter 1965

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Dortmund 1966

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bayern 1972

Votes: 150 27.8%
  • Moscow Dynamo 1972

Votes: 220 40.7%
  • Juventus 1978

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • PSV 1978

Votes: 19 3.5%
  • Kiev 1987

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Leeds 1992

Votes: 41 7.6%
  • Parma 1999

Votes: 29 5.4%
  • Lyon 2007

Votes: 51 9.4%
  • Other (please name it in thread)

Votes: 5 0.9%

• Total voters

dh1963

Our great club has competed in European competition for 64 years, we have enjoyed glory and endured defeat. What result in those 64 years would you say was the best ever for The Rangers?

My shortlist would be

Rangers 2 Wolves 0, 1961
The return leg has a famous song, but Rangers knocked out the English Cup holders in the first ever Cup Winners Cup thanks to this fine win at Ibrox. We won 3-1on aggregate and made the final.

Rangers 1 Inter Milan 0, 1965
World and European champions beaten at Ibrox without the injured Jim Baxter, although we narrowly lost 3-2 on aggregate. Inter retained the trophy.

Rangers 2 Borussia Dortmund 1, 1966
Dortmund had won the Cup Winners Cup the previous season, but we beat them on the way to the final. Won 2-1 on aggregate.

Rangers 2 Bayern Munich 0, 1972
Our famous semi final win to take us to Barcelona, 3-1 on aggregate, beating the nucleus of the West German team who won the European Championship that summer and who went on to win the World Cup 2 years later.

Rangers 3 Moscow Dynamo 2, 1972
Colin Stein scored one, Willie Johnston two. Our greatest night, but our greatest result?

Rangers 2 Juventus 0, 1978
Multiple Italian champions with virtually the entire national team who got to the World Cup last 4 that summer. Went through 2-1 on aggregate.

PSV Eindhoven 2 Rangers 3, 1978
The UEFA Cup holders, and a team full of Dutch international players who just got to the World Cup final beaten on their own ground for the first time in European competition. Aggregate also 3-2.

Rangers 2 Dynamo Kiev 0, 1987
Soviet champions who had recently won the Cup Winners Cup and were amongst the tournament favourites. Gave us a 2-1 aggregate win.

Leeds 1 Rangers 2, 1992
The famous Battle of Britain against the English champions. No away fans, but a great win to qualify for the first ever Champions League 4-2 on aggregate.

Rangers 2 Parma 0, 1999
A very expensively built Italian team who were UEFA Cup holders beaten in a Champions League qualifier, we got through 2-1 on aggregate.

Lyon 0 Rangers 3, 2007
Multiple French champions and amongst the favourites for the trophy well beaten in the Champions League group stage. A season that culminated in Manchester.

There may be others you think should be in there, feel free to add.

I would love to say Lyon or Parma for personal reasons, but that Bayern team dominated Europe for the next few years. The core also made up an all conquering German team.

Bayern in 72 without question.

Not only our best result, the best ever result by a Scottish team in Europe

It’s been said many times but 6 players in that Bayern team would go on to win WC winners medals four years later.

I reckon the 8-0 home win, and/or the 3 -0 away win over Borrusia Munchengladbach in 1960 should be on the list. As should the 4-2 win over Ferencvacos at Ibrox the same year.

Last edited:
That's a pretty good list. Off-hand I can't think of too may other contenders (perhaps beating Monaco twice in 61-62?).

I went for the Bayern match at Ibrox because that side had 6 German internationals and Rangers faced enormous pressure. Yet it was Bayern who crumbled.

The Dortmund result doesn't get too much attention but three of their players played against England in the World Cup final a few months earlier - also, their goal shouldn't have counted.

The Juventus side was immense.

A good bit before my time but 72 is great to read about and obviously winning it is the ultimate, but beating that Bayern team sounds like it must have been just an unbelievable feeling to witness

Since it’s the only one I actually remember watching I’ve said Lyon. Really good team French champions and on the receiving end of a hammering.

It has to be 1972 in Barcelona for the only European Trophy we've ever won, but for me personally in games I've seen live -

2007 Lyon 0 Rangers 3 - the first Scottish team to win at Lyon and I believe only the 2nd ever British side after Man Utd?

PSV 1978,first time they had lost at home in Europe.

That's who i voted for as well .

Was at the home game ( 0-0 ) and didn't expect the performance in the away game , it just blew me away

And like you say , it was the first time PSV had lost at home and Dutch football was at its highest in that period

Bayern Munich 1972. Two months later they made up the bulk of the West German team who became European Champions and World Cup winners two years later.

Reactions: SSR
Our great club has competed in European competition for 64 years, we have enjoyed glory and endured defeat. What result in those 64 years would you say was the best ever for The Rangers?

My shortlist would be

Rangers 2 Wolves 0, 1961
The return leg has a famous song, but Rangers knocked out the English Cup holders in the first ever Cup Winners Cup thanks to this fine win at Ibrox. We won 3-1on aggregate and made the final.

Rangers 1 Inter Milan 0, 1965
World and European champions beaten at Ibrox without the injured Jim Baxter, although we narrowly lost 3-2 on aggregate. Inter retained the trophy.

Rangers 2 Borussia Dortmund 1, 1966
Dortmund had won the Cup Winners Cup the previous season, but we beat them on the way to the final. Won 2-1 on aggregate.

Rangers 2 Bayern Munich 0, 1972
Our famous semi final win to take us to Barcelona, 3-1 on aggregate, beating the nucleus of the West German team who won the European Championship that summer and who went on to win the World Cup 2 years later.

Rangers 3 Moscow Dynamo 2, 1972
Colin Stein scored one, Willie Johnston two. Our greatest night, but our greatest result?

Rangers 2 Juventus 0, 1978
Multiple Italian champions with virtually the entire national team who got to the World Cup last 4 that summer. Went through 2-1 on aggregate.

PSV Eindhoven 2 Rangers 3, 1978
The UEFA Cup holders, and a team full of Dutch international players who just got to the World Cup final beaten on their own ground for the first time in European competition. Aggregate also 3-2.

Rangers 2 Dynamo Kiev 0, 1987
Soviet champions who had recently won the Cup Winners Cup and were amongst the tournament favourites. Gave us a 2-1 aggregate win.

Leeds 1 Rangers 2, 1992
The famous Battle of Britain against the English champions. No away fans, but a great win to qualify for the first ever Champions League 4-2 on aggregate.

Rangers 2 Parma 0, 1999
A very expensively built Italian team who were UEFA Cup holders beaten in a Champions League qualifier, we got through 2-1 on aggregate.

Lyon 0 Rangers 3, 2007
Multiple French champions and amongst the favourites for the trophy well beaten in the Champions League group stage. A season that culminated in Manchester.

There may be others you think should be in there, feel free to add.
Our greatest ever result was winning the ECWC Final. That’s a simple fact.

Juventus '78 for me, maybe because I was there and none of my friends were. ;)
Also, they had about 75% of a great Italian national team that had just went to the World Cup semi-finals.

I strutted around school the next day like a dog with two cocks.

Bayern for my dad he says , they went on to win European cup 74 , 75 , 76 providing the the majority of the german national team during that time . For me beating Leeds away 2- 1 92/93 , we should/ could hav won it that year .

From my era Parma, but it is way down the pecking order compared to some of the other ones.

An almost impossible question to answer, but if push comes to shove, then Bayern.

Cannot believe Lyon and Parma are sitting 3rd and 4th in this.

I voted Parma as the other games were before my time.

As a 17 year old when we beat them 2-0 it was unbelievable.

Despite domestic success in the 90s European nights//results outwith 92/93 wasn’t great

Im sure we were something like 5-1 to win that game that night. The bookies gave us no chance.

That Parma team and players were on a different planet too us but we stood toe to toe and despite getting battered in the second leg we deserved to win the tie

Bayern in 72 without question.

Not only our best result, the best ever result by a Scottish team in Europe

It’s been said many times but 6 players in that Bayern team would go on to win WC winners medals four years later.

I reckon the 8-0 home win, and/or the 3 -0 away win over Borrusia Munchengladbach in 1960 should be on the list. As should the 4-2 win over Ferencvacos at Ibrox the same year.
Re the Bayern team, it was actually 2 years later the Germans won the WC. The German team won the European Championship in 1972. The rump of that team also went on to win 3 European Cups in a row, the first of which was 1974.

Parma was the one for me, to beat a side like that was just unbelievable. I burst into tears when Reyna scored as I just couldn’t believe what was happening.

That Juventus side made up most of the World Cup winners in 1982.
To come back from a 0-1 first leg defecit against the masters of holding a lead speaks volumes .
Oh that, and was one of my first ever European games at Ibrox.

Was at both games in 1972 against Moscow Dynamo and Bayern Munich. Best summed up as Cup winners cup final as our greatest night and Bayern Munich as our greatest result. So Bayern for me and Juve 3rd best

Reactions: SSR
I would love to say Lyon or Parma for personal reasons, but that Bayern team dominated Europe for the next few years. The core also made up an all conquering German team.
There were so many Bayern players who became total legends of the game that we outclassed that night and played off the pitch.

All fantastic results but Bayern Munich at Ibrox in 1972 which led to our first and only European trophy, against a team stacked with German international players has to be the best. For me it would be closely followed by the Leeds United 1992 victory over two legs. These were the two greatest Rangers teams of my time

That Juventus side made up most of the World Cup winners in 1982.
To come back from a 0-1 first leg defecit against the masters of holding a lead speaks volumes .
Oh that, and was one of my first ever European games at Ibrox.
I think 10 of their starting 11 that night were at Argentina 78 with the Italian team who were 1 game away from the final eventually finishing 4th.

In my lifetime and games I've seen I would have to put the spanking we gave that Russian team, called something like Vladikavkaz.

I wouldn't say it was our best result but it was fukn brilliant at the time. I was at the first leg at Ibrox, we toiled a bit but ended up winning 2 or 3 1. Second leg I was in Ayia Napa on probably the best holiday ever, mates and wives, we all went out to a pub to watch the gamed, missed the start due to some poor quality chalk board advertising and by the time we got in saw McCoist score. Asked a fellow bear what the score was and he said 3-2, though he meant on aggregate but turned out on the night!. Turned into one of those nights you'll never forget, congaing round this we pub in Ayia Napa

Back