What is our greatest ever European result?

Our greatest result in Europe?

• Wolves 1961

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Inter 1965

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Dortmund 1966

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bayern 1972

Votes: 150 27.8%
  • Moscow Dynamo 1972

Votes: 220 40.7%
  • Juventus 1978

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • PSV 1978

Votes: 19 3.5%
  • Kiev 1987

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Leeds 1992

Votes: 41 7.6%
  • Parma 1999

Votes: 29 5.4%
  • Lyon 2007

Votes: 51 9.4%
  • Other (please name it in thread)

Votes: 5 0.9%

• Total voters
As far as i can see no mention of any of the games in our first ever CL run, we may not have made it in the end but what an amazing journey that was, the Leeds games were brilliant but what followed for me topped it. That team epitomised the never say die Rangers attitude and turned relative journeymen into superstars, a true team.

The first game against Marseilles looked for so long like we were out of our depth and didn't deserve to be in that company yet we came back and clawed out an amazing draw from 2-0 down. Then we went to Bochum and beat CSKA, them the infamous Nizzy goal to beat Bruges, the fantastic Huistra strike to earn a draw over there taking us to one game from the European Cup final. I don't ever remember a celebration of any Rangers goal like we had the night that Durrant hit that fantastic equalizer to keep that dream alive. It ended badly with us not able to score against CSKA at Ibrox and I will always remember walking away from Ibrox that night in te, the on e and only time football has done that to me. It wasn't just disappointment of the night, it was the end of what was an amazing journey where we were for that moment in time, mixing it with the best in Europe and just did not know how to lose. Every other answer on there deserves a vote but I'm surprised noen of these games made the poll.

I had to vote for winning a trophy being our greatest result. Would've loved to have seen all of the earlier games on that list (anything pre-1980s for me) and goes without saying that I have loved every single result for the post-1980s games on the list.

My time watching Rangers probably Lyon away. The fact I was at that game adds to that. All time it's got to be Batern in 72. Look at the German team was full of players that would go on to success with German national team in 70s and the Bayern team that were top dogs in Europe for a large part of that decade. Was also he final before the final because whoever won it was likely to win the tournament and we did and did.

IMO we have to remove the context of the ECWC final. It was an expected victory, I’m not downplaying the achievement. But in terms of opponents Bayern is a more legitimate answer. The players themselves have said the final was effectively played against the Germans. Albeit Moscow did possess the great Sabo, but still would any Moscow player get near the Bayern team ?.

Our great club has competed in European competition for 64 years, we have enjoyed glory and endured defeat. What result in those 64 years would you say was the best ever for The Rangers?

My shortlist would be

Rangers 2 Wolves 0, 1961
The return leg has a famous song, but Rangers knocked out the English Cup holders in the first ever Cup Winners Cup thanks to this fine win at Ibrox. We won 3-1on aggregate and made the final.

Rangers 1 Inter Milan 0, 1965
World and European champions beaten at Ibrox without the injured Jim Baxter, although we narrowly lost 3-2 on aggregate. Inter retained the trophy.

Rangers 2 Borussia Dortmund 1, 1966
Dortmund had won the Cup Winners Cup the previous season, but we beat them on the way to the final. Won 2-1 on aggregate.

Rangers 2 Bayern Munich 0, 1972
Our famous semi final win to take us to Barcelona, 3-1 on aggregate, beating the nucleus of the West German team who won the European Championship that summer and who went on to win the World Cup 2 years later.

Rangers 3 Moscow Dynamo 2, 1972
Colin Stein scored one, Willie Johnston two. Our greatest night, but our greatest result?

Rangers 2 Juventus 0, 1978
Multiple Italian champions with virtually the entire national team who got to the World Cup last 4 that summer. Went through 2-1 on aggregate.

PSV Eindhoven 2 Rangers 3, 1978
The UEFA Cup holders, and a team full of Dutch international players who just got to the World Cup final beaten on their own ground for the first time in European competition. Aggregate also 3-2.

Rangers 2 Dynamo Kiev 0, 1987
Soviet champions who had recently won the Cup Winners Cup and were amongst the tournament favourites. Gave us a 2-1 aggregate win.

Leeds 1 Rangers 2, 1992
The famous Battle of Britain against the English champions. No away fans, but a great win to qualify for the first ever Champions League 4-2 on aggregate.

Rangers 2 Parma 0, 1999
A very expensively built Italian team who were UEFA Cup holders beaten in a Champions League qualifier, we got through 2-1 on aggregate.

Lyon 0 Rangers 3, 2007
Multiple French champions and amongst the favourites for the trophy well beaten in the Champions League group stage. A season that culminated in Manchester.

There may be others you think should be in there, feel free to add.
I think it’s also important to point out, that that Bayern/German team were also one of the best teams ever to grace a football park, not one single weak link in the whole team......IMO of course lol

I think it’s also important to point out, that that Bayern/German team were also one of the best teams ever to grace a football park, not one single weak link in the whole team......IMO of course lol
I think evidence suggests it’s more than just an opinion mate :).

Too young for most of those games. So Lyon it’s, if I’m going for something relevant to me.

I went for the final in 72 as it's the only one that gave us a European Trophy.
No-one would have bet on us winning 3-0 in Lyon.
The home games v Bayern, Juve and Kiev were maybe a bit better to look back on, when you see what these clubs/players went on to achieve.

Clearly a trophy won against Moscow Dynamo but the 2 legged semi final victory over an incredible Bayern Munich edges it for me. Bayern Munich were incredibly strong and won 3 European Cups on the bounce starting just a couple of years later.

I must say that I wavered over Parma in 1999 - another outstanding team and having been beaten by the previous season, Rangers should take enormous credit for overcoming them the next time round.

Kiev in 1987 will always stand out as well - more or less the USSR team of the late 80s and they must have regarded the Scottish Champions as practically a bye, especially after they dispatched Celtic with relative ease the previous season.

from purely age point of view Kiev was amazing their team and the atmosphere! Parma’s team Was unbelievable and again atmosphere! But Leeds when we where up against everything ( no away fans at Elland road ;-) ) the English media, the whole occasion and of course the pressure of getting to the champions league! To be first British club in the competition can never be taken away. And unfortunately cheated from the final which I believe we would have won. The closest we will ever get unfortunately.

Fiorentia should at least be an option. They were a genuinely talented Italian team who we beat in the semi-final of a major European competition. The sheer emotion of Novo’s winning spot kick is a memory ingrained deep into my mind.

Parma spent nearly £70m in summer 1999 before we played them. It was an incredible result.

But nothing tops Kiev for me. I was there that night as a kid and genuinely felt the stadium shake when the goals went in. In terms of where we had been in the years previous it was Souness booting one of the big guns in the balls and telling them Rangers were back in the mix.

Would probably go for the Parma result.
Best night I ever experienced was the 2-1 against Stuttgart in 03-04.....Ibrox was fcuking jumping that night...best European atmosphere I've experienced

Leeds for me. Unbelievable night and edges it for me because we were actually Champions that year and went on to win the league again next year. The situation domestically plays a big part in judging our best European result. Bayern is right up there as well although we hadn't won the league that year. Great memories all.

It has to be the Bayern game in 1972, they were a truly top class set of players but we had a determination and a great team spirit that season to win the ECWC . Make no mistake the Bayern side were full of world class players but we reduced them to a team that were arguing with each other due to the spirit of Rangers. Winning the ECWC was our greatest achievement but our greatest obstacle was having to beat that Bayern team, which we did so brilliantly.

As a young Rangers fan living in England the result that gave me the greatest satisfaction was the Battle of Britain results against Leeds Utd.

But reading up on the run to the ECWC In 72 that Bayern team were something else.

Bayern is probably the better answer just given the pedigree of that team and what those players went on to achieve. It'd be like beating Liverpool or Man City over two legs (even though the gap is wider thanks to TV money these days).

It's not better than anything up there but I think the 3-2 win against Braga this year is going to be very, very fondly remembered. Coming back from 2-0 down with half an hour to go against the form team in Europe was something very special (even if it did transpire that they couldn't keep weans oot a close).

Leeds Utd 1992 for me, was 15 at the time.
Still pinch myself to this day, written off all over Britain only to do them both home and away.

from purely age point of view Kiev was amazing their team and the atmosphere! Parma’s team Was unbelievable and again atmosphere! But Leeds when we where up against everything ( no away fans at Elland road ;-) ) the English media, the whole occasion and of course the pressure of getting to the champions league! To be first British club in the competition can never be taken away. And unfortunately cheated from the final which I believe we would have won. The closest we will ever get unfortunately.
[/QUOTE
Leeds Utd 1992 for me, was 15 at the time.
Still pinch myself to this day, written off all over Britain only to do them both home and away.
Leeds avoiding relegation by 2 points weakens any case for it IMO. Yes they were English champions, but they also finished 17th the year we played them. When we beat them of course we didn’t know the season they would have, but still.

Last edited:
Voted cwc final but special mention cor away in livorno. Not the biggest italian name but our first win on italian soil
First Scottish team to win on Italian soil I’m certain. We played very well that night, as we often did under Le Guen in Europe. Lucarelli and Amelia were top players for them also.

PSV for me. Only heard it on radio and was buzzin to realise we had beaten a team that had players from the Dutch 1978 world cup runners up in the team and the fact that they had never been beaten at home in Europe was the icing on a particularly tasty cake!

Beating Bayern Munich (the best team in the world) 2-0 at Ibrox to reach the final is obviously my choice. A wee shout out for the 1-1 draw in the 1st leg may just have edged it though, but I missed that game.

Winning the ecwc is the biggest. Beating Leeds would be my second choice. We were written off by the English media beforehand and became indisputably the biggest club in Britain after those two games. It also confirmed that the Goalie was the best in the world at that time. Best Gers team in my lifetime as well.

The greatest result from a match I've attended is probably PSV away, followed by Leeds away. PSV because of their unbeaten home European record.
The greatest result of all matches would have to be Bayern at home in 72 as the nucleus of this team went on to lift the world cup in 74.

For individual results beating Bayern in 72 takes a bit of beating.
This was the nucleus of the team that would dominate Europe only a year or two later and provide the core of the German World Cup winning side of 1974.
Beating the Juventus side of 78, highly populated with the Italian national side was also incredible.
I guess beating Leeds will be mentioned.
That was one of the best nights of my Rangers supporting life but, it was probably because we were predictably written off by the majority of the English press and that it was, in this competition, a local derby that makes it so magical.

Winning in 72 is our greatest achievement but I still think beating inter in 1965 is our best ever result.

Many great and memorable results, however, Barca 1972? Got to be the greatest as its our highest, no??

Defo the bayern game in 72, did we not beat psv 4-1 on aggregate in the 90's too? Not that should eclipse bayern but thought it worth a mention.

look mate everyone is entitled to their opinion and that’s what open forum like this is for. That’s yours and hey you may have a point. But we played Leeds early in the season. where they finished the season is Surely irrelevant really. As they played qualifier against Stuttgart before us in Barcelona. We played lyngby. Plus the point I was trying to make was and it’s well documented by the players of the time, the ridiculous press coverage about how it was forgone conclusion Leeds would win was embarrassing and thankfully motivating for our team. I can’t think of another euro game in My life time where the press have written us off before a ball is kicked. Yes current Scottish media do on regular basis but we all know the agenda and who the puppet master is.

Dortmund sitting with 0 points.

They'd just beaten Liverpool the previous season at Hampden in the 1966 ECWC final and Liverpool had narrowly beaten Stein's Celtic in the semi final.

It may not eclipse our victories over Bayern, Moscow Dynamo, Juventus and the like, but it's certainly a far bigger win in our history than Lyon ffs.

Am sure all the our victories in the matches mentioned have their sparkle but when you consider the Bayern match with all they achieved and conquered plus the players in that team, my vote goes for that match.

I'd have said Lyon or.maybe Barcelona against Moscow. but I'm going to say Fiorentina as its etched in my head greatest night ever following Rangers

Only actually seen 2 of those games live.

Trophies are what counts so went for that

They are all fantastic results which highlights our greatest European performances. Bayern for me though due to the quality of the opposition with PSV and Juventus up there too for that same reason. When I saw Kiev at home that first reminded me of the atmosphere that night which was one of the best ever.

One before my time, but I always thought 11 (Eleven) : 0 as they would have said on the teleprinter on aggregate against Borussia Monchengladbach in a European quarter final is quite an impressive looking result

Voted for Bayern as I was at the game. I was also at the Juventus game & was so proud of my team. Both of these sides were packed with superstar players. Main difference for me was that there was a full house for the Bayern game but a reduced capacity against Juventus due to ground reconstruction.

One before my time, but I always thought 11 (Eleven) : 0 as they would have said on the teleprinter on aggregate against Borussia Monchengladbach in a European quarter final is quite an impressive looking result
I mentioned that in a similar thread once, an older poster suggested German football wasn't great back then and they were effectively a part time team. Which i doubt.

Back