What is our greatest ever European result?

Our greatest result in Europe?

• Wolves 1961

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Inter 1965

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Dortmund 1966

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bayern 1972

Votes: 150 27.8%
  • Moscow Dynamo 1972

Votes: 220 40.7%
  • Juventus 1978

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • PSV 1978

Votes: 19 3.5%
  • Kiev 1987

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Leeds 1992

Votes: 41 7.6%
  • Parma 1999

Votes: 29 5.4%
  • Lyon 2007

Votes: 51 9.4%
  • Other (please name it in thread)

Votes: 5 0.9%

• Total voters
I can only really comment on Leeds, Parma and Lyon.

I went for Lyon because we were relatively weaker at the time. We were the bigger and better team than Leeds at that point and Parma weren't that much further ahead of us-we were just tremendous.

Mad that I was gutted when lenguen left because of his track record and thought Smith would take us backwards...2 years later?

Beatin Bayern's 72 team was amazing. That was the spine of the soon to be Eurio Champs and WorldCupwinning German team.
I kind of took it for granted at the time - as i hadnt worked out that we were actually under achievers in Europe!
In 92 , beating Leeds was my other favourite. To win both legs against English champs was brilliant . By then i was a nervous wreck at ALL our European games because we always seemed to either make a mad mistake or be outplayed!

Dortmund sitting with 0 points.

They'd just beaten Liverpool the previous season at Hampden in the 1966 ECWC final and Liverpool had narrowly beaten Stein's Celtic in the semi final.

It may not eclipse our victories over Bayern, Moscow Dynamo, Juventus and the like, but it's certainly a far bigger win in our history than Lyon ffs.

Too true, and that 2-1 Agg win over the holders Dortmund is even more impressive, when you consider we achieved a 0-0 draw over there in the second leg, having to play 50 mins with only 10 men. when Bobby Watson was stretchered off 5 mins before the break.
No substitutes allowed back then.

To give you an idea how good that very much under appreciated Rangers team was back then, we would lose only 1 League game in our next 54 League games, and yet we won nothing.

As for this poll, it is ridiculous that there is only 1 vote out of over 500 for beating Inter Milan in 65', who were the current World Club Champions, and current European Champions, and would go on to retain the European Cup that year.
Yet a victory over Parma gets 27 votes.
Parma had finished 4th that previous season in the Italian League, scraping into the EC Qualifiers by a single point, whilst finishing a whopping 15 points behind Champions Milan.
They would go on to finish 5th in the Italian league that 1999-2000 season.

Too true, and that 2-1 Agg win over the holders Dortmund is even more impressive, when you consider we achieved a 0-0 draw over there in the second leg, having to play 50 mins with only 10 men. when Bobby Watson was stretchered off 5 mins before the break.
No substitutes allowed back then.

To give you an idea how good that very much under appreciated Rangers team was back then, we would lose only 1 League game in our next 54 League games, and yet we won nothing.

As for this poll, it is ridiculous that there is only 1 vote out of over 500 for beating Inter Milan in 65', who were the current World Club Champions, and current European Champions, and would go on to retain the European Cup that year.
Yet a victory over Parma gets 27 votes.
Parma had finished 4th that previous season in the Italian League, scraping into the EC Qualifiers by a single point, whilst finishing a whopping 15 points behind Champions Milan.
They would go on to finish 5th in the Italian league that 1999-2000 season.

That's the drawback with democracy Mo!

Bayern in 1972 for me.
I was fortunate enough to also attend the final against Dynamo Moscow in Barcelona and whilst winning the trophy was our greatest European achievement I have to say that the whole drama and atmosphere of the finely balanced semi final second leg in front of 80,000 howling, expectant bears could never be beaten for me.

Back