What is the answer?

I think complacently has played its part coming back from the winter break.. Plus to many players off form at the same time and questionable formations and tactics..
If we could cut out the majority of the above that might be part of the answer.

One of the main things is the lack of urgency. It does my head in so much when a player has space to turn and run but its played back to the defence. Be direct play fast pass and move football, dont allow teams to regroup against us with slow build up play
Best reply on this thread. We need to set the tempo from the off until a game is won. Unless we win the physical battle in this league then you will continue to get results like today. That comes down to the desire of the players. Unfortunately we lack enough of these players . Katic will take a lot of stick today and rightly so but he's a young player. He needed our captain and Goidson and others with experience to help him today but that leadership is missing in the team when the going gets tough.

We need a proper Captain in the Gough, Greig mould and a couple of hard bastards preferably for the middle of the park. A grizzled old Scottish manager that knows what it takes to win in Scotland would be a good addition as well.

Gerrard for me is now surviving on his reputation as a great player and leader on the park.
If this was Warburton or that other clown, whose name escapes before him , we would be screaming to a man to get him emptied.
It’s simply not good enough.

I think the answer is fairly simple. You vary your tactics, your formation and your style of play depending on the opposition and the conditions. You drop players when they are out of form. You demand the players work their bollocks off. The basics really.

Our biggest problem right now is we don't vary how we play. Doesn't necessarily have to be changing formation but also in game by passing midfield now again and going long to morelos for instance.

Today is the perfect example, pitch was bobbly as feck so why were we trying to play intricate possession football? We are far too slow and ponderous in possession and moan about 10 men behind the ball. How about getting ball forward quicker from McGregor or the centre backs to our attackers. The forwards are getting crucified and in some ways it's justified but Getting it to them a hell of a lot faster would actually help

We need more leaders on the pitch, when was the last time you saw someone gee up the players and try and get the troops going, no-one does it

in the main, we score enough goals to win games.

we do however surrender large swathes of games to the opposition, defend dreadfully and have had some questionable decisions go against us.

complete night and day to Dec where I felt we’d win every game.

You could tell at the Stranraer game the players weren’t at it.

our main strikergoing off the boil in 2020 hasn’t helped one bit. The 2019 Morelos puts that chance away today at 2-1 and win the game.

how do we fix, f*ck knows. Kamberi has to start the next match at the very least.

Drop the under achievers and hope that the yahoos implode or hit a long run of bad form.

The staff needs to learn faster and better how to correct mistakes.
And when we spend ten million on two players they need to make the difference in games for us consistently.

Kent and Helander haven’t done that.

Do something drastic like 3 at the back when Helander is fit. 2 up top also. Playing the same tactics to suit Tav and Morelos will cost Gerrard his job.

The answer is keep adding quality to the squad in the summer where we need it. Its going to take time.

Looks pretty clear to me recently that one area we definitely need to upgrade is centre back. Katic is still too raw and Goldson just isn't as good as he or the management team seem to think he is.

From a management point of view we need to be working on other systems and styles that suit the league/opposition better. 2 up front today was looking really good for example.

It's a gradual thing, but I fear the support just don't have the patience for it.

Massive financial investment and a far better manager and board but that is ‘fantasy football’.

We need to try something different. Pains me to say it but we could learn a lesson from the poets. They changed things after losing to us and it's working well for them.

DO we have the right players to go 3-5-2? Do we as a support have the patience? I can only guess they used the winter break to get accustomed to their new system, whereas we would be doing it 2/3 of the way through season

Is this just poor form? Too many players off form? Poor management? We have improved alot since last season and on our day we can beat anyone but to me it seems like we need at least 4 or 5 quality players next season
Money, and loads of it, mate

We have loads of problems but most stem from poor management and very few of our problems are being helped by good management.

One big problem I believe is the manager has a different view on success than most fans. Europe is his priority as I don't think he believes we can win the league and second is an acceptable aim.

Two up front. It really is that simple. I’m not sure if Gerrard realises it, but we don’t need to show any team in the league respect, apart from the tramps. We have the personnel to do exactly what the mentally challengeds are doing to teams. One up from is stifling us, especially with a totally useless Morelos up front on his own at present.
Nail on the head.

We played well in the first half of the season, but we have been figured out big time as the season has went on. That we are not addressing some of this stuff is worrying. A lot of this is in our hands though...

Stop playing 4 at the back against the weaker teams in the SPL.
2 upfront, 2 far wide, plus Hagi in behind the 2 upfront.
2 sitting midfielders to mop up and provide protection to the back line if needed.
High press, high energy, lots of movement, particularly on the 2 wide players.
You play poorly or need a break, then lets change it up for a game or two.
Keep 4-3-3 for when we know it works (Celtic, certain European games).
Practice corner and free kicks in training.
Quick throw ins, no hanging around whilst the opposition re-organises themselves.
Ban Tav from taking set pieces.
Tell Morelos to stop falling over.

It perhaps overrated, but I worry we miss leadership on the park. I dont see anyone in this team in the mould of a captain like Gough, Weir, Ferguson.

Apart form that everything should stay as it is!

there is no excuse for failing to beat, St J, Killie, Aberdeen, Hearts, no excuse for that
Overall we need several better quality players and an experienced manager.
That will take a lot of money and unlikely success will be instant
Who is this wondrous manager you speak of.

He can start by dropping players that needs dropped,and stop playing his favourites,regardless how bad they have been.
Edmondson deserves his chance,Katic dropped.
Kent benched.Aribo played in an advanced position.Morelos benched,hes not scoring,in fact when I see him one on one with the keeper,I have no confidence he will score....his one on ones in the last 10 days proves this
Stewart and Kamberi given a chance from start.

The worrying thing about Alfie right now is when I see him with the ball, there is a very good chance he will simply give it away through a poor pass, trying to beat a man, or a poor touch. It's a relief when it goes to a blue shirt.

Problem is, I don't know if we can even agree on the question. Some people think it's the manager, others it's the players, some say its mentality and others say its tactics or the referees.

I think we're fundamentally a good side, but I'm not sure I can be certain what we're lacking to take us where we need to be

I think it’s a mixture of all the above ,However it’s perplexing as shit teams with these problems don’t go from qualification round 1 to the last 32 in the Europa league .

Trying to play too much football, enjoying useless possession all part of the problem here. As mentioned above, you see what happens when Kamberi and Morelos are both playing. Gives their back line much more to worry about. Also shows that having guys like Kamberi - who has experience of this league - can be vital.

Do your homework Mr Gerrard

442 in Domestic games - scottish foitball is a slog. Especially in Winter when surfaces struggle. You dont play through the thirds. You play a simple 442 with a slightly more direct style, occupying an entire oppositions backline, making it harder for themso sit in deep as they are forced back and we have a 3nd striker and wide players ready for 2nd ball.

433 in Europe / Derbies - More control of the ball is a must as these teams will see opponents come at us more so free up more space for an extra midfielder to utilise limiting space to the opposition and help to exploit the increased space with willing runners and good passers of the ball.

So all in - flexibility is what is needed. SPFL is unique as you face different challenges every week. Gerrard hasnt known that in his career. The only example he could use is like playing an FA Cup tie every week. I can only remember him mix it up once with a 352 system away to Motherwell and that game had plenty of positives but since then I dont believe the Manager has ever moved from his favoured 433.

This isnt EPL - we dont play on big pitches of carpet like surfaces. You could see our problem early today was ttying to play our usual way, through the thirds but we eventually relaised on that pitch it wasnt possible. The change to a flexible 442 2nd half made a HUGE difference as we were more direct.

Can only hope the management learns

Is this just poor form? Too many players off form? Poor management? We have improved alot since last season and on our day we can beat anyone but to me it seems like we need at least 4 or 5 quality players next season

We have improved massively against "Them" and in Europe but we are no further along beating the dross since we have returned to the top division. Beating the dross and that is what they are wins you silverware.

As we saw today if your play with to CF that can put themselves about against teams that play with everyone behind the ball ( 99% of the teams in this league) we can break them down and win. Old fashion 4-4-2. I for one one am a fan of Dykes and if Buff goes i would like to see him come in along with Kamberi. Playing them two up top would give all the teams in this league a battering. Both have scored goals against "Them" (still waiting for Buff) and have no fear of them.

I'm not one of those chair quaterbacks that looks down their nose at players from lesser teams. I think we have enough players in our team that prove this is a silly notion.

The answer is a management team who know what they're doing. An experienced manager would be changing this around to fit whatever is required at the time. Gerrard has no idea what to do. Stick Aribo on at lb cause it worked last time.

We need more leaders on the pitch, when was the last time you saw someone gee up the players and try and get the troops going, no-one does it

You must not look around very often when attending games...

Tavernier, McGregor, Arfield and Halliday consistently do just those things you suggested noone does.

For me the answer is to stop playing the same players and the same system and expect a different outcome. It’s not working, it used to, but now it’s not so change it. 2 up top had them on the back foot today as with Braga. Don’t play Jack and Davis in the same team against lower sides in the league. Drop Kent and stop persisting with him playing through his bad spell. Settle on a CB pairing (I know Helander is injured but he was tinkering with it before that).

Also stop outing the players in the media and handle that behind closed doors as it’s doing no one any favours.

We need to punt the players that consistently let us down. We know who they are so surely the fukcen manager knows. Lots of people are saying something not right behind scenes. Might be something in that.

Two up front. It really is that simple. I’m not sure if Gerrard realises it, but we don’t need to show any team in the league respect, apart from the tramps. We have the personnel to do exactly what the mentally challengeds are doing to teams. One up from is stifling us, especially with a totally useless Morelos up front on his own at present.
Exactly!...it all seems too simple. Kamberi and Stewart....what’s there to think about?

We need major investment to bring in several quality players or we will be waiting a long time for a title.

If you think that Kamberi and Stewart are good enough players to be in the starting 11 of a title winning side then god help us.
But they wouldn’t be starting in a title winning team...I fear that is beyond us now, but it would alter things at the moment and allow some to have a much needed rest. Whatever the personnel, I’m not sure we can play ourselves out of this rut without making changes.

I'm with this.. They also leak goals, but they know they'll score 3 or 4

After we made it back to 1-2 I thought we would make it. Just couldn't believe another error lost us another 2 points. Wish we had another Carlos patrolling our defence. Also Alfie dropping form didn't help today. Gerrard did change things and 2 goals were the result. Individual errors are becoming too frequent...especially in defence.
I said in a thread a while ago that Rangers need a higher standard of centre half to play alongside Goldson. Helander is good defensively but his lack of pace will always be an important weakness at the highest level. Katic isn't yet ready to play every week for a club like Rangers, and I would expect Edmundson to be at a similar stage in his development to Katic.

Listened to the game on Radio Scotland today and apparently Katic had a nightmare. Gerrard could have subbed him but understand that he would want to save his substitutions for other areas of the pitch instead of changing the partnership at centre of defence. Gerrard substitutions seemed to make a difference and get the team in front. With hindsight it was possibly a mistake going back to 442 after getting 2-1 up, but I woul blame a few of the players more than Gerrard for the dropped points today.

You won't win titles, with players from Liverpool's 3rd team, the likes of Jones, Barker, Kamara, Halliday, an over the hill Davis and Mcgregor. Even the shitty SPL. Mcgregor, great shot stopper, but all other aspects of his game are poor these days. Giving Defoe a new contract at his age is ridiculous as well. Let Murphy go, and keep Stewart and Barker. He's way ahead of these guys. The thing is, no matter how poor we've been since Xmas, with better game management, we could still have won every game. Walter would have.

Dropping 4-3-3 in Scotland.

It’s not working/won’t work when teams are sitting in. Also having decent cover for Barasic would help.

Two things WE can change and affect is the system which isn’t getting us the results we are after and also we need to bring in about another five or six more players of sufficient quality to have a better chance of success and the way things are going we’re going to have to go and entire season hardly dropping a point beating the filth and all the rest as none of them can take anything from them.

It’s a ridiculous ask but every Rangers signing should be warned they are playing 38 mini cup finals in this bum set up every time they wear the shirt, quite simply when we have a team/squad which is just too good for every single team in this dung heap SPfL then we’ll win the league again and then our problem with officiating and all the rotten zero entertainment negative, hundred mile an hour, constant fouling and time wasting diddy teams can be aired more freely without it sounding like sour grapes and excuses as it does presently when we still don’t have the required quality and balance to handle all the demands Rangers players/teams specifically need to contend with and overcome in order to win games and trophies.

The answer is 4-4-2 or 3-5-2.

In my opinion things have been wrong since the day the old traditions of rangers in years gone by got scrapped. Players are pampered far to much. Bring back the suits and a bit of discipline, get rid of the tracksuits, players swanning around with earphones in, and all the other sh*t that comes with the modern day footballer. Seen a few people joke that our center half's might have been up watching the fight last night. It literally wouldn't even surprise me if half the team were.

Pity they were not inspired by Furys performance!

Not changing system, we would alway have 2 upfront every game in Scotland . 4-3-3 doesn't work against defending teams. everyone can see it need changed, but management.

Latest posts

Back