What is the current transfer value of our squad?

Davie_Mitchell

We now have a few players who would come in at a high level, £5M plus, and a couple at least who’d be north of £10M including Alfie who is £20M plus. I’m not sure where that puts our whole squad value, but my uneducated estimate is £65M. I might be way out. What do you think?

£1M-£5M
Flanagan
Katic
Goldson
Helander
Arfield
Davis
Aribo

£5M-£10M
Barasic
Jack
Kamara
Kent

£10M plus
Tavernier

£20M plus
Morelos

UEEy7ce.jpg

Katic, Barasic, Kent, Kamara, Jack, Aribo, Tavernier and Morelos are the players who we are most likely to sell for a decent fee IMO.

Morelos could go for anything. He’s a goal scorer and they go for silly money if a top club are interested.

My guess is Tav’s defending holds him back going for a massive fee.

If Aribo, Barisic, Katic and Kamara can keep improving and work their way into their national team squads for the ACON and the Euro’s / World Cup’s they could become £10 mil+ players. Maybe not Barisic, but the fact he is Croatia’s first choice left back gives a glimmer of hope.

The rest are here and now players and have little sell on value beyond their time at Rangers IMO.

If the transfer window suddenly opened right now and we could sell them:

Zero or nominal fees:
McGregor
Davis
Flanagan
Halliday
Polster
Defoe (not technically ours anyway, but assuming he signs for us he'll be on one-year deals until he decides to retire)
Murphy
Foderingham
Barker
Firth
Grezda

1m or less:
Edmundson
Docherty (not even sure he's as much as that)
Stewart
Arfield

1m - 3m:
Helander
Jones

3m - 5m:
Katic

5m - 10m:
Kamara
Barisic
Aribo

10m+:
Goldson
Tavernier
Kent

God tier:
Morelos

You can argue about some of these, but I think there's still a bit of work to do in reshaping this squad. Lot of players that aren't worth a whole lot.

Morelos - £25m+
Tav - £6-8m
Barisic - £6-8m
Kent - £10m+ (could be double that depending on how he develops)
Goldson - £3-5m
Jack - £6-8

These threads are always fun.

Always remember when things were going well under Warburton when he first came in, and a poster had the notion that we had a multi-million pound squad in the likes of Rob Kiernan and Jason Holt.
I recall the “no way we should accept £2million for Kiernan” threads.

People go full on Celtic fan with stuff like this.

To be fair, the OP valuations seem reasonable,

Morelos - £25m+
Tav - £6-8m
Barisic - £6-8m
Goldson - £3-5m
Jack - £6-8
Tav and barasic the same I don't think so bb is head and shoulders above him not a Tav bashing post a promise but ones a croation international who is proving his worth and the other is hot and cold and wouldn't get a look in for the national team. I must be the only person who thinks bb can go for 10+

Zero or nominal fees:
McGregor
Davis
Flanagan
Halliday
Polster
Defoe (not technically ours anyway, but assuming he signs for us he'll be on one-year deals until he decides to retire)
Murphy
Foderingham
Barker
Firth
Grezda

1m or less:
Edmundson
Stewart
Arfield

1m - 3m:
Helander
Jones

3m - 5m:
Katic

5m - 10m:
Kamara
Barisic
Aribo

10m+:
Goldson
Tavernier
Kent

God tier:
Morelos

You can argue about some of these, but I think there's still a bit of work to do in reshaping this squad. Lot of players that aren't worth a whole lot.
So Helander is worth less than what we paid for him already?

So Helander is worth less than what we paid for him already?
We paid 3m for him, we’d get 3m for him, but if we’re moving on right now there’s probably a small discount since he’s only been here a few months and that would spook a buyer.

Zero or nominal fees:
McGregor
Davis
Flanagan
Halliday
Polster
Murphy
Foderingham
Barker
Firth
Grezda

1m or less:
Edmundson
Stewart
Arfield

1m - 3m:
Helander
Jones

3m - 5m:
Katic

5m - 10m:
Kamara
Barisic
Aribo

10m+:
Goldson
Tavernier
Kent

God tier:
Morelos

We bought Helander for £3.6 million and you have him at 1-3 million? This is why threads like these will always become a car crash, people will subconsciously have bias towards their favoured players or will (again) potentially undervalue players that they're not keen on. At the end of the day a player is only worth what a club is willing to pay for them. If anyone had said a few months ago that theres a chance of Kamara being pursued with figures of 8 to 10 million being mentioned from several credible sources then the flack on here would be unreal.

We bought Helander for £3.6 million and you have him at 1-3 million? This is why threads like these will always become a car crash, people will subconsciously have bias towards their favoured players or will (again) potentially undervalue players that they're not keen on. At the end of the day a player is only worth what a club is willing to pay for them. If anyone had said a few months ago that theres a chance of Kamara being pursued with figures of 8 to 10 million being mentioned from several credible sources then the flack on here would be unreal.
Everything I read says we bought him for 3 million sterling.

And as I said above, if we were trying to shift him after only having him for three or four months, a buying team would be spooked by that and we wouldn't be making a profit on him.

We now have a few players who would come in at a high level, £5M plus, and a couple at least who’d be north of £10M including Alfie who is £20M plus. I’m not sure where that puts our whole squad value, but my uneducated estimate is £65M. I might be way out. What do you think?

£1M-£5M
Flanagan
Katic
Goldson
Helander
Arfield
Davis
Aribo

£5M-£10M
Barasic
Jack
Kamara
Kent

£10M plus
Tavernier

£20M plus
Morelos
Goldson is worth a lot more than that imo.

McGregor N/A

Tavernier 6-8 million
Barisic 10+
Goldson 8m
Helander 6m
If Katic was playing I would say 5m

Davis N/A
Aribo 6-8 m+
Jack 10m+
Kamara 10m+

Kent 10m+
Morelos 27m+

It really needs to be broken down into about 3 categories or tiers really.

Top category players (Players that are currently exceeding what we originally paid for them and/or are our best players):

Morelos - it's more or less anything north of £20 million. Highly dependent on clauses and sell on fees.

Barisic - if recent form persists then I could easily see mid level clubs across the big 4 in Europe taking an interest in him. That happens we can command anything above £6 million.

Tav - mid to low level English sides would offer a decent amount for him for a few good seasons. Depending on the window, he's in the same boat as Barisic. Possibly more due to the premium on English players down South.

Kamara - we paid 50k for him. We make anything close to the fees being touted for him we are winning big. He probably fits in and could swapped with Jack on my list but recent coverage suggest he's being watched with real interest.

Goldson - has looked imperious alongside Helander of late. We could double possibly treble what we originally paid if the English Market comes calling. Depends on the window. He's viewed as a key player by us.

Mid level category players (entirely dependent on development rates and form):

Jack - seems content with being a Rangers player. Underrated by fans but highly valued by the coaching staff. We'd be talking similar numbers as Kamara but I genuinely believe we have zero desire to cash in on him.

Helander - we would make what we paid for him back at the moment. He wins things with us we'd be talking of adding a few million more on top of that. Right now we'd make what we paid for him but likely slightly less.

Kent - biggest outlay of the current squad. We add more of an end product and goal return to his game. We are doubling his worth, if not talking Alfie numbers for him in a few seasons. Currently would struggle to recoup our outlay for him.

Aribo - has had an up and down time of it. He starts reproducing his early season form then we are talking what we paid for Kent with scope to charge more in the future. Very much depends on his development. A couple of million is his current market value.

Katic - again a similar idea as Kent and Aribo. We didn't pay a lot for him, we could potentially make millions on him. Right now he's worth about £2 to 3 million. He's one for the future.

Low level category players (players that have potential but currently aren't featuring much):

Edmundson - I'll preface this one by saying I rate this fella highly. He just hasn't featured an awful lot for us. Could be talking millions in the future. Currently we'd possibly just about scrape a million for him with maybe clauses added to that.

Docherty - hasn't really lived up to expectations. Don't see that changing barring an injury crisis in midfield and then again he would have to thrive for us. As it stands we'd make about a million on him. Would have made more if we had sold him after his season with Shrewsbury.

Polster - neither potential or experienced but again hasn't featured much. Could see him being sold back to the States for just under half a million.

Jones - has potential, still relatively young. I could easily see us making a few million off of him if an English side came sniffing.

Grezda - bags of potential but the boy is an idiot. Sadly a busted flush we will struggle to make any money on.

Foderingham - we let his contract run down. He's worth at least a million but sadly likely to leave for nothing.

Barker - just in the door, I highly doubt we'd make much on him at the moment. Has potential but has been out in the wilderness for a while though.

Stewart - not really a player I see being a massive or key player for us, therefore the potential to expose his ability is massively reduced and I just don't see any club down south showing an interest after his failure at Birmingham. Will no doubt be a decent squad player for us.

I would add a sub category to all of this. Players with no resale value or potential and low running contracts. Doesn't mean they are bad players, simply means clubs won't pay top money for them. McGregor, Davis and Murphy all in the too old category. Arfield could be sold for a decent fee but not on current form, plus for considerably less due to age as well. Halliday, Flanagan and Firth, all squad players with less than a year on their deals left but I don't see us renewing.

It really needs to be broken down into about 3 categories or tiers really.

Top category players (Players that are currently exceeding what we originally paid for them and/or are our best players):

Morelos - it's more or less anything north of £20 million. Highly dependent on clauses and sell on fees.

Barisic - if recent form persists then I could easily see mid level clubs across the big 4 in Europe taking an interest in him. That happens we can command anything above £6 million.

Tav - mid to low level English sides would offer a decent amount for him for a few good seasons. Depending on the window, he's in the same boat as Barisic. Possibly more due to the premium on English players down South.

Kamara - we paid 50k for him. We make anything close to the fees being touted for him we are winning big. He probably fits in and could swapped with Jack on my list but recent coverage suggest he's being watched with real interest.

Goldson - has looked imperious alongside Helander of late. We could double possibly treble what we originally paid if the English Market comes calling. Depends on the window. He's viewed as a key player by us.

Mid level category players (entirely dependent on development rates and form):

Jack - seems content with being a Rangers player. Underrated by fans but highly valued by the coaching staff. We'd be talking similar numbers as Kamara but I genuinely believe we have zero desire to cash in on him.

Helander - we would make what we paid for him back at the moment. He wins things with us we'd be talking of adding a few million more on top of that. Right now we'd make what we paid for him but likely slightly less.

Kent - biggest outlay of the current squad. We add more of an end product and goal return to his game. We are doubling his worth, if not talking Alfie numbers for him in a few seasons. Currently would struggle to recoup our outlay for him.

Aribo - has had an up and down time of it. He starts reproducing his early season form then we are talking what we paid for Kent with scope to charge more in the future. Very much depends on his development. A couple of million is his current market value.

Katic - again a similar idea as Kent and Aribo. We didn't pay a lot for him, we could potentially make millions on him. Right now he's worth about £2 to 3 million. He's one for the future.

Low level category players (players that have potential but currently aren't featuring much):

Edmundson - I'll preface this one by saying I rate this fella highly. He just hasn't featured an awful lot for us. Could be talking millions in the future. Currently we'd possibly just about scrape a million for him with maybe clauses added to that.

Docherty - hasn't really lived up to expectations. Don't see that changing barring an injury crisis in midfield and then again he would have to thrive for us. As it stands we'd make about a million on him. Would have made more if we had sold him after his season with Shrewsbury.

Polster - neither potential or experienced but again hasn't featured much. Could see him being sold back to the States for just under half a million.

Jones - has potential, still relatively young. I could easily see us making a few million off of him if an English side came sniffing.

Grezda - bags of potential but the boy is an idiot. Sadly a busted flush we will struggle to make any money on.

Foderingham - we let his contract run down. He's worth at least a million but sadly likely to leave for nothing.

Barker - just in the door, I highly doubt we'd make much on him at the moment. Has potential but has been out in the wilderness for a while though.

Stewart - not really a player I see being a massive or key player for us, therefore the potential to expose his ability is massively reduced and I just don't see any club down south showing an interest after his failure at Birmingham. Will no doubt be a decent squad player for us.

I would add a sub category to all of this. Players with no resale value or potential and low running contracts. Doesn't mean they are bad players, simply means clubs won't pay top money for them. McGregor, Davis and Murphy all in the too old category. Arfield could be sold for a decent fee but not on current form, plus for considerably less due to age as well. Halliday, Flanagan and Firth, all squad players with less than a year on their deals left but I don't see us renewing.

Hello Martin Bain.

£1M-£5M
Flanagan
Katic
Goldson
Helander
Arfield
Davis
Aribo

£5M-£10M
Barasic
Jack
Kamara
Kent

£10M plus
Tavernier

£20M plus
Morelos

I'd be putting Aribo in the 5-10m bracket. Give him a year and keep improving at international level and his value will soar. Goldson and Helander for me are 5m+.

Jack and Tav are borderline 10m+ and Kent will be there soon.

I like Kamara but I'd be happy if we get 8m for him - suspect it is paper talk though.

Am I way off the mark by suggesting Ross McCrorie is as effective as Kamara?

Everything I read says we bought him for 3 million sterling.

And as I said above, if we were trying to shift him after only having him for three or four months, a buying team would be spooked by that and we wouldn't be making a profit on him.

But we're not tryi g to shift him. Or ANY of these players! They're not transder listed, unhappy or running down short contracts... they are our first 11 and firing. We only sell if someone forces our hand.

Buyers dont dictate the price... sellers do! Hence my lack of aston martin outside my house!

Its also why helander would cost any suitors upwards of £6m causd thats what a swedish international in his prime in good form costs minimum! I see folk thinking katic would be allowed to leave for less than £5m! Thats totally why we tied him down to a long term contract! To get premiership pittence for one of the best young centrebacks in europe whos already becoming a cult figure at the club! Less than £1m for arfield!?! Ha!

When will we stop undervaluing our players. Championship clubs can out bid us. Lets see there cash then, cause they'd kill for our quality right now!

Morelos - £25m+
Tav - £6-8m
Barisic - £6-8m
Goldson - £3-5m
Jack - £6-8
Where do figures like this come from? We bought kent for less than 10m so how has his value gone up?
Morelos at 25m, maybe to us but if we put him on the market at that price would we have any takers?
Not having a go at you but just crazy prices in heneral

I cannot understand people on here's desperation to talk down acceptable values of our players. There is obscene money out there for even mediocre players: total non-entities in the English championship are spunking money like it's going out of fashion. The scum and their friends in the media know this and make sure they talk up their player's value, even if they're patently dire or have the hips of a 80 year old. By contrast we had people saying we should sell Morelos last season for sub-10m. F*cking crazy!

Polster - 500k
Flanagan - 1.5m
Tav - 8m
Barasic - 10m
Goldson - 7m
Helander - 5m
Katic - 4m

Kamara - 8m
Aribo - 5m
Jack - 8m

Kent - 10m
Jones - 2m

Morelos - 25m

Cool 95m sitting there and I’m being conservative with a couple.

“Rangurs ur skint n they need 20 mullyin tae see the season oot”

Last edited:
Where do figures like this come from? We bought kent for less than 10m so how has his value gone up?
Morelos at 25m, maybe to us but if we put him on the market at that price would we have any takers?
Not having a go at you but just crazy prices in heneral

Maybe you’ve just started following football but I’ll tell you why his value has went up and it’s a pretty common occurrence in the football world.

He was running down his contract at a club he was unhappy at and wasn’t playing. Hence us getting him for what we got him for.

Now he is one of our most important players with a lengthy contract therefore it’s only natural and logical it would take more money to buy him from us.

Jesus Christ.

Maybe you’ve just started following football but I’ll tell you why his value has went up and it’s a pretty common occurrence in the football world.

He was running down his contract at a club he was unhappy at and wasn’t playing. Hence us getting him for what we got him for.

Now he is one of our most important players with a lengthy contract therefore it’s only natural and logical it would take more money to buy him from us.

Jesus Christ.
That view is so wrong

£1M-£5M
Flanagan
Katic
Goldson
Helander
Arfield
Davis
Aribo

£5M-£10M
Barasic
Jack
Kamara
Kent

£10M plus
Tavernier

£20M plus
Morelos
Fair assessment

A premiership club?

Don’t you think our first choice centre back who has proven his worth as a leader and a defender is worth the paltry sum of 8m?

Idiotic if you don’t. It’s 2019. Worse players have went for loads more.

Goldson is worth far more than that IMHO, not sure why so many of our fans are determined to undervalue our players

Tav and barasic the same I don't think so bb is head and shoulders above him not a Tav bashing post a promise but ones a croation international who is proving his worth and the other is hot and cold and wouldn't get a look in for the national team. I must be the only person who thinks bb can go for 10+

Getting into the England national team is a bit harder than Croatia though, no?

Barisic and Tav are also the same age plus I think more teams in England would be more interested in Tav given that he'd count as a home grown player.

Always misleading

McGregor and Davis are invaluable to us yet wouldn't get much for them and therefore would cost a fortune to replace to their standard

£1M-£5M
Flanagan
Katic
Goldson
Helander
Arfield
Davis
Aribo

£5M-£10M
Barasic
Jack
Kamara
Kent

£10M plus
Tavernier

£20M plus
Morelos
We will sell aribo for more than £5 when he eventually goes

Morelos 40m
Barasic 10m and increasing
Tav 7m on current form.
Ryan Jack 15m yes seriously
Katic 5m
Goldson 5m
Helander 5m
Edmondson 2m
Aribo 10m
Kamara 10m
Kent 10m and increasing

Given the market down south I dont think any of these figures are unrealistic, as an example Waghorn went for 8m down south. The above are probably our assets that youd hope to make money on. I've left out Davis/Arfield/Defoe etc as these are not guys we'd be looking to sale to make money.

I think if we could get between 30-35 million for Morelos and Kamara next summer after hopefully a title winning campaign that would be incredible.

Giving our staff even close to half of that could give us a lot of options to upgrade the team and squad as well with that sort of cash,while sustaining the club in a very healthy capacity indeed with the other half.
Next summer were those two to be gone along with Ojo back to Liverpool and Fod,Halliday,Grezda,Murphy and Docherty possibly away we might be looking at;

Strikers X 2
Right winger
Centre midfield
Back up GK
Back up LB

Getting into the England national team is a bit harder than Croatia though, no?

Barisic and Tav are also the same age plus I think more teams in England would be more interested in Tav given that he'd count as a home grown player.
Not really sure going on Croatias national performances recently I understand the point your making but I don't even think theyre close to the same level of player it's my opinion doesn't make it right.

Not really sure going on Croatias national performances recently I understand the point your making but I don't even think theyre close to the same level of player it's my opinion doesn't make it right.

Nah that's fair enough and Barisic has been superb since his free kick against St Mirren. I just think the fact that Tav is English adds a wee bit on to his price (rightly or wrongly). I could see Barisic going to a European club whereas I'd imagine if Tav was to leave he'd only want to go to the Prem.

Nah that's fair enough and Barisic has been superb since his free kick against St Mirren. I just think the fact that Tav is English adds a wee bit on to his price (rightly or wrongly). I could see Barisic going to a European club whereas I'd imagine if Tav was to leave he'd only want to go to the Prem.
Aye defo. It's a good problem to have tbh.

Back