What is wrong with Bayern?

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
The usual suspect is a lack of competition? Surely not as they have had a real fight this season domestically and it's not over yet...

They also have:

1. A lack of pace - Ribery was so far off the demands of the modern game the other night, and they have no pace in midfield
2. Some average signings like Gnabry, Sanchez and Gorezka
3. A fear factor...in both legs they barely managed a shot and their goal and best chance at Anfield were off defenders
4. Bad luck...who knew that James would be so poor, or Robben injured, or Kimmich injured, or Muller losing confidence and form etc
5. Lewandowski isolated and unable to play lone striker role...he was brutally exposed in a very Rangers-esque 4-3-3 with as much pace, flair and attacking verve as me going at a seafood salad

They have already started rebuilding plans...will they be back? Plans in place or finalised for Hudson-Odoi, Benjamin Pavard and Lucas Hernandez of Atletico.

So weird to see them so lacking in confidence, and physical preparation.

Going through a transitional period. The old guard of Muller, Robben, Ribery who have contributed massively are on a decline and as you say in the OP they have not bought well with others, although Sule is a good signing IMO.

Pavard isnt going to make a massive difference IMO and too many players that were brought in by pep for pep that wont suit a different style.

Too many ageing players off it or past their best.

Just like Real Madrid.

Dortmund being bottle merchants ensures Bayern will still win the Bundesliga this season but they need a rebuild if they want to be a European force again.

But they will still win the league.

Probably over achieved for years. This is really their level.

Gnabry and Goretzka have been great signings...

Things just seem to go in cycles and I think they'll come back as a force again once the likes of Ribery and Robben are gone. Still got plenty of youth and talent in their team.

Not last night...sent back to school by Andy Robertson.

Robertson was partly responsible for the OG.

Gnabry and Goretzka have been great signings...

Things just seem to go in cycles and I think they'll come back as a force again once the likes of Ribery and Robben are gone. Still got plenty of youth and talent in their team.

Robertson was partly responsible for the OG.

Gnabry's only run in behind in 180 minutes.

I’d say calling Gnabry and Goretzka “average” is extremely harsh.

They’re clearly going through a bit of a transitional phase but yet are still going to win the league which I suppose papers over the cracks a little bit.

I’d much rather be in Bayern’s position than Real Madrid’s though.

Let's face it, Kovac as coach is a major step down from Pep, Ancelotti and Heynckes.

He's never struck me as a Bayern level coach.

I’d say calling Gnabry and Goretzka “average” is extremely harsh.

They’re clearly going through a bit of a transitional phase but yet are still going to win the league which I suppose papers over the cracks a little bit.

I’d much rather be in Bayern’s position than Real Madrid’s though.

Goretzka is mainly an impact sub and Gnabry did not 'rise up' at this higher level.

Also Kovac is indeed not a top class coach.

Goretzka is mainly an impact sub and Gnabry did not 'rise up' at this higher level.

Also Kovac is indeed not a top class coach.

In fairness their whole team looked rotten but I get your point.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see Kovac out in the summer even if they do win the league.

I looked at their team and thought 'who would I put in place of the Liverpool players?

Kimmich,who wasn't playing as suspended
Alaba,who I think is the best in the world as a left back
Lewondowski,who had no support whatsoever

That was it-Neur's injuries have done for him,Hummel and the other lad were as slow as a week in the jail,their midifield was horrendous with Thiago and James seemingly going through the motions.
As mentioned Ribery and Robben are done and Muller has dissapeared off the planet it would seem?

They're in a bad way imo.

I looked at their team and thought 'who would I put in place of the Liverpool players?

That was it-Neur's injuries have done for him,Hummel and the other lad were as slow as a week in the jail,their midifield was horrendous with Thiago and James seemingly going through the motions.
As mentioned Ribery and Robben are done and Muller has dissapeared off the planet it would seem?

Come off it? Majority of Bayern's midfield would walk straight into Liverpool's.

Also, I'm pretty sure Goretzka recently won Bundesliga POTM so it's a bit harsh for some to say he's average.

who give a f uck

You obviously, since you care enough to comment on the thread. Great input.

Team needs a rebuild. A team who’s success has been built majorly on having two of the top wingers in the game.

Midfield must be one of the slowest in Europe.

Kimmich Sule Pavard Alaba is a decent base to build from. Then see if Tolisso comes back the same player from injury.

Badly need some athleticism/energetic in midfield and out wide in attack.

Come off it? Majority of Bayern's midfield would walk straight into Liverpool's.

Also, I'm pretty sure Goretzka recently won Bundesliga POTM so it's a bit harsh for some to say he's average.

dont give a f uck about bayern hence the post

It’s the cycle - they won the last 6 league titles, they have a turnover of key players and then either next season or the next they will go off on another run of 4/5/6 titles on the bounce until the core of that team is put out to pasture.

Now and again a side comes up just when Bayern Munich are in this transition and the new winners are hailed as the new force in German football.. for a year tops.

No World Cup or Euros this year, they will go out and buy some top players and push through some youngsters who will become household names over the next couple of seasons.

For all the resources they have mate,and how well they've looked and competed in recent years gone by-they're a shadow of their former selves imo.
Goretzka won poty with his previous team,he's underperformed massively in a Bayern shirt hence why he was on the bench last night behind other players that played shite.
Again Muller has previously been world class and has been terrible this season,when fit which hasn't been too often apparently.
Thiago and James haven't lived up to their billing for some time.
Their CB options are still shite,having always been the weakest area of their side for a long time.
Neur being a shadow of his former self is probably one of the biggest losses,he was the best in the world pre-injury by a distance imo at that time-but he looks f.ucked now.

They will probably still win the Bundesliga due to the sheer depth of their squad,but they're not doing anything at a european level anytime soon which is where a lot of their fans measure success.

Christ,Liverpool didn't even play well last night with a midfield of Fabinho(Henderson going off early doors),Wijnaldum and Milner that dealt with them pretty easily.

igvp77.jpg

Aging players needing replaced and just going through a bit of transition. Happened to them before and happens to teams all around the world. Remember in the mid 00's Bayern were pretty poor for a good few years on the European stage. Not one Champions League title between 2001 and 2013 with only one final in between. No UEFA Cup final appearances in that time either. Could argue that was a transitional period for them as well. They will be back, all clubs have a period without great success in Europe.

What’s wrong with them?

Top of the Bundesliga, regularly reaching the latter stages of Europe, still have a squad full of top class players, millions to spend if required, one of the best stadiums in Europe and they get to drink beer in their ground.

I wish we had their problems.

Too many ageing players off it or past their best.

Just like Real Madrid.

Dortmund being bottle merchants ensures Bayern will still win the Bundesliga this season but they need a rebuild if they want to be a European force again.

This. The same thing will probably happen to Barcelona in the coming season.

I'd actually say Barcelona adapted and avoided such a scenario a few seasons ago. They got rid of Xavi and Iniesta and replaced them without too much disruption.

Not having phillip Llamb , Arjen Robben , Muller , Alonso or Schwienstager , pardon the spelling may have something to do with it .

I’d also suggest from a fans’ perspective German football shites all over the EPL ‘experience ‘

German football requires a higher number of home grown players in their squads - minimum of 12 compared with say 8 in the Premier League. I imagine there are times when the homegrown talent isn’t good/experienced enough. They’ll come back!

They had a pretty coherent management structure that went from Van Gaal, Heynckes and Guardiola. Van Gaal introduced more focus on possession play, Heynckes added gegenpressing to it, Guardiola did what he does with all that.

Ancelotti was probably brought in with winning the CL in mind but wasn't particularly suited to the club at the time and added little to the style or approach of the team. Kovac done well at Eintracht Frankfurt but mainly playing a counter attacking game, he's a manager who didn't seem suited to the demands of Bayern and their seemed to be other better and more imaginative candidates within the Bundesliga.

Nah Barca are fine. Obviously it'll be tough to replace Suarez and impossible to replace Messi, but some of their young players are superb.

Lenglet looks to be a brilliant CB, Umtiti as well. Arthur reminds me of Xavi, never wastes a pass. Dembele on his day is frightening and I think Malcom will come good. On top of that they've just signed De Jong who ran the midfield against Real Madrid last week.

Missing Robben I think, one of the most underrated players of all time, who when on an injury-free run in his prime (granted he's very injury prone), was up there with Messi and Ronaldo for me.

How they'll replace him is anybody's guess, but they've got a knack of picking up gems that the other big clubs overlook.

At the top level, the short answer is pace. They were clearly afraid to go at Liverpool and probably with good reason. They have a lot of great players each of whom now have too many miles on the clock.

Can't believe that bayern brought hummels back, he's hopeless imo.

Muller's been crap for a few seasons now to the extent that he barely gets a start now iirc

Reactions: cav
They had a pretty coherent management structure that went from Van Gaal, Heynckes and Guardiola. Van Gaal introduced more focus on possession play, Heynckes added gegenpressing to it, Guardiola did what he does with all that.

Ancelotti was probably brought in with winning the CL in mind but wasn't particularly suited to the club at the time and added little to the style or approach of the team. Kovac done well at Eintracht Frankfurt but mainly playing a counter attacking game, he's a manager who didn't seem suited to the demands of Bayern and their seemed to be other better and more imaginative candidates within the Bundesliga.

I think Klopp could be the answer to their problems, well the managerial problems, more so if Liverpool win the epl or champions league

There’s nothing “wrong” with Bayern they’ve fallen victim to their own success. It happened to the Italian teams, Man U, Barca to an extent and more.

When you have a team playing well every week you don’t change it...Man U for example over the years had the class of 92, quality defenders such as Vidic and Evra who were long time servants of the club.

Once they start to age and retire there’s no one waiting in the wings that’s experienced enough. A player won’t join a club to be back up to a long servant as they’ll wait potentially years for a chance. Bayern are now struggling because their big names are getting old and they are on the verge of rebuild and there’s no one to replace them.

Financial fair play and ridiculous transfer fees isn’t helping football, talking in excess of £250m to get in 3 world class first team ready players and it’s just not sustainable.

Back