What kept your spirits high?

The simple answer is - there is no alternative ,” everywhere , anywhere we will follow on “ .....
I have some real lows that stick in my memory personally when I couldn’t see the wood for the trees ( McCoist in championship , Pedro and the end of earns ) and although it wavered my confidence in our journey , it never impacted my desire to back my team ... when I look back though it’s weird to think I’m taking more positives than I thought I would from this whole journey :

- Our resolve - not every club could go through what we have been through and still be here - certain clubs self destruct after 6 months of not getting it their own way , Glasgow Rangers ? We puff our chest out - hold our heads high and defend the badge , that’s what a clubs all about !!!

- The absolute gamechanging master stroke that was appointing Stevie G

- Our Captain: James Tavernier : for someone who was a huge lee Wallace fan , for some time I pictured him lifting 55 and never thought those goosebumps could be replaced , thankfully Tav is now Wallace in my visions - the man accompasses everything that we have went through , a film quote comes to mind - “ it’s not about how hard you hit , it’s about how hard you get hit - and keep moving forward “ , I get an unrivalled level of pride and emotion at the sheer thought of tav lifting that trophy above his head

- Our board getting rid of the dead wood , I will always be thankful to the rich dudes who do what I do , love the club, but are able to bring their Monopoly money to the table

- European nights : the foundation of rebuilding our brand , it’s remarkable what we have achieved on this stage so soon , hopefully the best is yet to come

- Our fans , we are - quite simply - the people

- in the past it was hope , now it’s reality but the feeling of walking into Ibrox again sometime soon to the same seat I’ve had for a while now , surrounded by family to toast Glasgow rangers - champions - is a feeling that might just top the lot !!!!

The hope that we would get back to the top again.Must admit there was doubts along the way.
Now we can almost touch it.It wont be long now.
Let's bury these scumbags for a long time.
They need a total rebuild at all levels. Hope they fukc up in every thing they try to do.

The great unity of our fans. We all seemed to understand each others feelings completely. The pride going to watch our team in the lower divisions and the togetherness, makes me emotional even now. And most definitely the march to Hampden, seems a lifetime ago, the red and black scarves, making your way over to Queens Park with knowing nods from fellow bears. We certainly found out during this time, "no one likes us", we certainly don't care.

I've never known anything other than supporting Rangers, if the team had gone away in 2012 then I'd have given up football completely, I was happy that my boys felt the same way.
As someone else has said, coming on here to FF helped a lot also, we were all in the same boat.
One thing bothers me slightly, that winning 55 isn't everything, it's another lap in the great race. Don't want to see less effort next season, onward and upward always.

The support in person and those at home.

My nephew lived on PRW, a tim, but as a former resident of Elgin (RAF dad) I said we should go to the Elgin City game together. He was astounded by the actual attendance. He thought it was a large percentage of absent ST holders that kept our attendances so high.
The tv viewing figures were being posted on here weekly and us v Arbroath or whatever was getting treble what the bheasts were getting v 2nd placed Hearts. Obviously the tv companies noticed this as the "top" league was with Sky and us in the lower divisions were with BT. Funny how some new deal to merge the 120 year old SFL with the 15 year old SPL was suddenly drawn up to share the one single tv deal.

We are indeed the people.

For me it’s more than the actual game, it’s meeting your mates and strangers, all having that one absolute that we know will never change, supporting The Rangers.

Being in Melbourne and in 2012/13 season it was a novelty and would've have loved to have been back home to go to the away games. Those late late night kick off times were a slog but there was a core of us who would go into watch the games.

Since 2014 my 2 kids were born and I was moving up in my career so the traipsing into town for 2am on a Monday morning wasn't really something that I could do. But would still watch the games when I could. No matter when and where, it's Rangers. A fellow Bear in Melbourne and I discussed this, id rather play a game of 11s than watch any game of football......unless it's Rangers. Champions League final, el classic, world cup final.........if Rangers are playing then those "big games" are getting turned off.

It's been a tough slog at times since 2012. But the end of the day, it's our team and nothing will ever change it. As I tell me wife and kids often........Rangers were in my life way before any of you B-) .

We've swam through the rivers of shit and now we are climbing out the other side. Were about to get showered and put in our Sunday best and celebrate like never before.

That Bill Struth quote has never been more apt. Our club is defined by us, the fans. The last 9 years has proven that.

We are 3 (maybe even 2) games away from being the club we recognise but don't forget that they tried to kill is but we, the fans (along with some very good Bears in the boardroom) didn't let it happen

We are the people

What kept my spirits up was an unshakeable belief in the continued backing of our support for our club, the rich and poor and that in time inevitably we would hit on the right management team to take us back to the top. All things must pass.

This forum, and each and every single one of you guys on this amazing forum.

Every single one of you who bought a ticket, pie, programme or strip during the hard times pat yourself on the back. You did your club proud.

While we suffered some bumps and bruises, i did question whether we would ever come back, i mean it was natural, routine pumpings from the filth and the Murty/Warburton/Caixinha horror show would have tested all of us. But as said in this thread good does triumph over evil in the end.

The fact we still have a club at all is thanks to everyone of you guys. Without all of you and the broader support, we might have withered and died. But we rolled our sleeves up and said "no surrender" and each of us kept the other going.

When 55 comes i hope we all pause to remember those not with us anymore too, as they will never be forgotten.

On a personal support the support you have all given me (through the dark times emotionally) is amazing throughout. I was heading on a bad path and some of the support from bears on here kept me going during dark personal times.

Enjoy 55 guys, we've earned it

Brilliant Sir Walter.

Great post OP.

2012 was so tough I was living in Melbourne at the time & I spent so much time on here trying to figure out what was actually happening or going to happen.

I had some really tough days & nights & I broke down in tears a few times thinking about what was going on. My fiancée at the time (now my wife) couldn’t understand how unhappy, angry, sad & all the emotion I was showing during those dark days.

I keep’d in good touch with my nephews back home & I promise I said this to them back that summer in 2012...”55 will be the best ever & each day that comes & goes we make a step closer”.

When I got back back home in 2013 I couldn’t wait to get over to Ibrox again with my friends & family. We had some good weekends on the way back up through the leagues.

Warburton’s football especially his first season gave me a huge shot in the arm & I was thinking we have them especially after the Semi Final in the Scottish Cup but I soon realised we couldn’t defend set plays or be hard to beat so I was glad when he moved on.

It’s been a rollercoaster Bears but what an unbelievable journey & I honestly believe it has made us stronger as a club & supporters. The last few years after King took charge I remember my nephew picking the phone up & complaining about players, tactics or results & I was just saying...”ya know what it’s great just worrying about the football performances & not worrying that some lady's front bottom is going to fleece us or attempt to take titles off us”.

I’m very proud of how the Club, the players & the management are handing themselves. When we beat them @ the Piggery in 20 days times the players shouldn’t gloat like they did beating Pedro’s or Murtys teams just celebrate together & let them know we are above them & plan to stay there for a long time.

Our house is in order like I’ve never seen it before..B-D As I’ve said to many a person I can’t tell you how much I love The Rangers.

Early days in lower leagues was all about knowing we were too big a club with fantastic support and looking forward to the day we get back to where we are now. Recently it has been Thursday nights in the EL, absolutely love them. But all through all this has been the Rusty Nails (Highland Park and Drambuie) to keep me sane ;) ;) ;)

Bill Struth's words resonated...

“Inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity, no matter the days of anxiety that come our way, we shall emerge stronger because of the trials to be overcome.

Knowing we would be back to moments like this.7 points from a league win and the unwashed feeling like shite.My kids are at an age where they are both becoming interested in The Rangers and this will be so sweet for them both.I can’t wait to celebrate with them.They have never witnessed their father ecstatic with joy.To the lurkers hope your pain lasts a lifetime.You took your cheap shots a snide digs now take a broken heart.Enjoy

Through 2012 into the Gerrard era what inspired you on the dark days? What or who kept you going? Players, staff, maybe even someone personal to you?

For me initially it was seeing kick off delayed in the Ibrox legends match as the fans filed in to support the club. I get chills thinking back to that day and the atmosphere, it was clear we would never go away.

Then it was Lee Wallace, and to a slightly lesser extent Lee McCulloch, staying on for Division 3. Not just for the loyalty they showed but for the hope it gave me (us) as fans as it signified we were still significant and that it really was just a matter of time. Beating Motherwell in the league cup that season was huge as well.

Regime change is one of the most significant days in our history, if not the most significant and whilst it hasn’t been plain sailing since at least we knew on that day and beyond that the best interests of Rangers Football Club would be at the forefront of any decisions take. Clearly a huge day for restoring hope!

After a couple of tougher years on the pitch my next big one was 2015 at Easter Road, scoring 6 against Hibs and playing some great football. Once again it gave me hope that we were on the right track and the buzz of winning that game was monumental compared to the boredom of the previous seasons.

Hampden 2016. Need I say more. Met Numan pre match and the day just got better and better from then on.

Just when it seemed we were on the move progress slowed down and I felt it was going to take something monumental to kick us back to the level we should always be at, enter Steven Gerrard. I’m sure we all harboured some doubts raging from mild to downright panic that an inexperienced man was taking over the reigns, but what a man it was. Immediately restoring us to prominence within the UK and beyond it was a huge step in bringing back the quality that is required to keep this club at the top level.

I’m sure I’ve missed some people and dates that gave me hope at the time, hopefully I’ll remember them again one day but for now whilst it was painful at times it all seems to fading away as we approach the day we see Rangers lift the title once again. My love for Rangers never waned, it’s only ever grown stronger and will continue to grow still. It’s almost time to party and in the words of the the soon to be Rangers legend ‘Lets go!’

Seeing my old man and his mates (all in their 50s and 60s) still going every week, home and away, irrespective of the performances, through the divisions.

I remember them saying "it's easy to support a successful football team, but the real supporters still go, even if we're shite."

I'd say there were probably about 35 guys on our bus who still went every week, no matter how, or who we were playing.

Making the journey with these guys got me through and kept my spirits high.

That feeling leaving the ground after Stevie G s first win v Tim’s.The smiles on bears faces.
I was in Barcelona 72.Couldent enjoy post match as ducking and diving all night hiding from
police or whoever they were !
WATP sums us all up and let’s all raise a glass when over the line.
or two !

Watched them all through the divisions it was hell my love for Rangers got me through hoping one day we would get back to where we are now Steven Gerrard took us there player and Performance wise Dave King saved our club from more years of spivs and Ashley but most of all the supporters never gave up I know there’s a few jumping on the band wagon but that always happens with success but the pain we went through will never be forgotten those that kicked us when we were down will have the demise of their own club to worry about now.

Back