What makes Rangers a big club?

The person answering the question is probably the brutally honest answer.

A lot of people around the world won't care much about us.

It's for too much a hang up with some the whole "big club" thing.

Several things determine the status of a club.

Tradition, history, fan base, success, stadium, training facilities etc. No one of these topics make you a big club but when combined - it determines a massive club imo.

Sky TV and Champions' League changed the nature of successful clubs, however I'm proud of our history and anticipate us being national champions again soon. I don't care if we are not considered to be a big club world wide, but for sure we used to be.

As Rangers are my second team, I would have to say the Britishness that surrounds the club is a major factor.
Then you look at the history and the success.
As daft as it sounds the iconic main stand also lures you in.

The Premier League is taking over the UK, there’s no doubt about that.

I’ve lived in England all of my life, raised by my father who was born in Glasgow, he’s always raised me to be a Rangers fan and only a Rangers fan.

I think it was easier during my childhood though, as football wasn’t on TV as much. Nowadays you can’t get away from the English Premier League as a team from that league is on the TV almost every single night.

I find there is a growing arrogance down in England amongst the kids turning adults, up to about the age of about 25. They genuinely believe the Premier League IS football, and any other league is useless, baring of course your super teams like Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern etc etc.

When speaking to them about Rangers, they have no idea how big we are. I tell them we take 8,000 to away games in Scotland, 10,000+ to Europa League groups stage matches, 20,000 to Barcelona for a Champions League games, 100,000 plus to Manchester. But they still don’t care as the league we play in is ‘Sunday League’

You’re a massive club if you have a worldwide fan base, a 5 star football stadium, a history of success, top training facilities - not just because you play in the Premier League.

The person answering the question is probably the brutally honest answer.

A lot of people around the world won't care much about us.

It's for too much a hang up with some the whole "big club" thing.

A lot of people around the world will care about us

Relative size must play a part, we live in a country of 5.5 million and besides the big Turkish teams you'd struggle to find a bigger domestic fan base.

Records. We have so many records that the name Rangers is associated with records. We hold attendance records that only teams in Brazil, a country of 200 million, are close to. In terms of footballing records we were winners before a lot of teams were even born. I've even heard before that we were only beaten in shirt sales by Manchester United domestically 10-15 years ago.

We could go on and on and on again about TV deals making teams big, Euro exploits making teams big, and so on. Tell that to the people of Manchester in 2008.

We fill any stadium in front of us and ask for spares. We show up for any game, not just our rivals. Our forums are among the most active in the footballing world. Our social media grows faster than teams like Ajax.

Giants can only be held down for so long, we've had years removed from us and we want vengeance.

At the end of it all, how many teams would get kicked from grace and come back to kick harder than they got? We have nothing to prove to anyone. Show me a "superclub" who's fans would show up to watch SPL dross every week.

We don't need to have propaganda and Facebook like bots like those teams, we know what we are. If you were on some platforms you wouldn't know Rangers were a Scottish team with how many people outside Scotland reply.

Agree with everything said earlier. One big thing that does not happen at any English club is the number of fans that travel everywhere without a ticket just to be present in the city of the game. Just isn’t in the DNA down here. I have watched Man City at most places and all the top teams support nowadays is awash with Sky TV newbies. No other club like Rangers the mentally challengeds try but fail miserably.

Every time I've been away, no matter where, if I've said to someone that I'm from Glasgow the first words out of their mouth is always "Glasgow Rangers". Without fail. People may not care about us as much anymore, but they certainly know who we are.

Funny, I’ve had that same experience on at least 4 occasions. Was actually partly why I asked the question to start with.

Nice feeling when you’re abroad (Netherlands for me) and you mention Glasgow and the person says “Glasgow Rangers”.

We are a big team in Scotland but after our recent troubles our stock has fallen.
players coming up on loan even Gerrard we're surprised how big a club we are.
Other teams countries out with Scotland don't see us as a big club any longer.
Epl or championship clubs are higher thought of through out Europe and the far east.
Money talks we are from a poor league in financial terms and TV coverage audience ect.

Our support are second to none.
Our history is unrivalled our stadium is iconic.

As Rangers are my second team, I would have to say the Britishness that surrounds the club is a major factor.
Then you look at the history and the success.
As daft as it sounds the iconic main stand also lures you in.
Our Britishness, in my experience, is envied by a helluva lot of fans and clubs south of the border and despised by probably every club in Scotland.

Funny, I’ve had that same experience on at least 4 occasions. Was actually partly why I asked the question to start with.

Nice feeling when you’re abroad (Netherlands for me) and you mention Glasgow and the person says “Glasgow Rangers”.
The Dutch love us.

I once got a free tour of this guys tower in Amsterdam because he saw my Rangers top. Was shitting myself though, had to climb up a 25ft ladder to get up and he let me ring the bell. Cool story I know.

Relative size must play a part, we live in a country of 5.5 million and besides the big Turkish teams you'd struggle to find a bigger domestic fan base.

Records. We have so many records that the name Rangers is associated with records. We hold attendance records that only teams in Brazil, a country of 200 million, are close to. In terms of footballing records we were winners before a lot of teams were even born. I've even heard before that we were only beaten in shirt sales by Manchester United domestically 10-15 years ago.

We could go on and on and on again about TV deals making teams big, Euro exploits making teams big, and so on. Tell that to the people of Manchester in 2008.

We fill any stadium in front of us and ask for spares. We show up for any game, not just our rivals. Our forums are among the most active in the footballing world. Our social media grows faster than teams like Ajax.

Giants can only be held down for so long, we've had years removed from us and we want vengeance.

At the end of it all, how many teams would get kicked from grace and come back to kick harder than they got? We have nothing to prove to anyone. Show me a "superclub" who's fans would show up to watch SPL dross every week.

We don't need to have propaganda and Facebook like bots like those teams, we know what we are. If you were on some platforms you wouldn't know Rangers were a Scottish team with how many people outside Scotland reply.
Brilliant post mate

The Dutch love us.

I once got a free tour of this guys tower in Amsterdam because he saw my Rangers top. Was shitting myself though, had to climb up a 25ft ladder to get up and he let me ring the bell. Cool story I know.
Thought Quasimodo was French? Good to know he's a bear!
Still better looking & less deformed than your average bheggar

A thread on another clubs forum about Rangers with over 8 1/2 million views, just let that sink in a minute. Their highest viewed thread and it is about us.

It's all about the Rangers.

ps. they are not even our biggest rivals just another diddy club who think more about us than their own team.

In Ghent in Belgium, I had some boys trying to talk to me about Thomas Buffel

For me the easiest way to sum it up is by saying the size of our support both locally and abroad, combined with our success over a sustained period of time.

It’s the reason why clubs like Man City and Chelsea will not be seen as big a clubs as Man United and Liverpool, at least not for a very long time.

Before the Sky backed EPL and big European leagues receiving their foreign cash we could be considered one of the world's biggest clubs, but being honest also one that had somewhat underachieved in European competition. Although if they'd had European competition when Struth was manager we might have won the European Cup a few times.

But in modern football terms our status has much diminished. It's through no fault of our own though.

The fans, the history, the trophies, and...

The money.

The sides with the most fans usually had the most money. That is no longer the case outside of Scotland.

Our Britishness, in my experience, is envied by a helluva lot of fans and clubs south of the border and despised by probably every club in Scotland.
Rangers are also my second club but approaching parity. I'm a massive soft spotter for Rangers, largely as I see them/us as the quintessential British club.

A good indication along with those mentioned is the amount of supporters clubs dotted around the world, you see scenes of soldiers in war zones with flags and strips, ordinary guys in places like africa bringing it to the villages. We've all seen the one with them marching in strips. For me that's got to play some part in it.

Agree with all the above. But it's vital we continue to play/tour to other countries when we can. When we go to Florida, Canada, Australia, England etc even for friendlies, we spread the word and pick up new admirers. Rangers and their fans need to be out there showing what we are.

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/...-fans-after-we-demolished-the-peasants.62631/
This is part of it, being world renowned and respected.
Rangers influence in football includes, to name just a few, Austria’s first professional footballer, the Champions League original format. Helped Arsenal in their time of need and supplied Chelsea with their first professional manager and half of his team. Played under The FA until Scotland got their own league and Rangers joined that.
We have a trophy room the envy of the rest of football and ceremonies like the “loving cup” that hold tradition to this day. All that before our troubles in 2012. Rangers are a football institution and the Rangers fans are just as famous. My friend in Cuba text me asking why we only had 24k at a game as we started the boycott, asking what was wrong. He and his friends were so impressed with our attendances in the lower divisions, that they checked it as much as the score.

Our history and our fans.
Yes, but we need the meat on the bones of this statement.
For me, one of the contributors is our travelling support.
the 250k in Manchester, the 25k in Barcelona, taking thousands to the most obscure and drab places in Europe, even just for friendlies we have a support in attendance.
It's things like NARSA.
Thousands of our supporters from the four corners converging in one city, mostly, thousands of miles from home.
And, at home, its how many clubs in Scotland have Rangers as having supplied their record attendance.

History. Length of time in existence, diverse global fanbase, success domestically and in Europe, players that played for their countries. More locally, the stadium, and more recently the HTC, the big name manager, the amount of media headlines.

The simple answer is we are the most successful team in world football league history with 54 titles.
Then add on history , fan base , identity and tradition.
No bear or even non bears can question us.
We are Rangers end of thread

I believe Rangers are not just looked at as a Scotland team but as very much THE British side...this allows millions of English to unite behind Rangers and not compromise their English patriotism. It's a family of which I'm proud .

I'm 28.

Every country that I've ever been abroad in, I've always been in, walked past or been near to a Rangers themed bar.

Tradition, history and success.

3 key points to start off could be here all day stating certain parts of our history etc that makes us what we are

I would also include the fans expectations and demands of success on those points Caldow.

Back