What makes your dad mad watching football?

He's naw good enough for rangers talking about some of our current squad.

My dad must have missed the 2013 team and just accepted it.

My old man's been gone for 17 years now but if he had to suddenly be brought back to watch a game of modern football he'd be absolutely disgusted with the multi coloured boots getting worn.

Andy Halliday and attackers getting in behind James Tavernier. Goes mental every time.

When a player is playing poorly, he always brings up Duncan Stanners, who he claims was the worst player who ever played for Rangers. For perspective, the guy left Rangers in 1955. :D

I'll be really disappointed if his dressing room nickname wasn't Duncan stauners

every single second of the 90 minutes, some of his protests are a mirror of the drama queens on here at times.

Players stealing some yards at free kicks and throws. Adverts for other games when we are playing. Players smiling when they aren't winning which also pisses me off.

Had the old boy round for Gers st Joe's the other night, joyous as ever.

It's like he's stuck in a football timewarp from the 60s and 70s.

His biggest gripe (and i mean genuinely losing the plot about), is the ball not being in the quadrant for a corner, he has no concept of whole of the ball whole of the line, so actually gets out his seat and shouts at the TV, it's spectacular to witness.

You should have seen his face when I tried to explain why the linesmen now late flag as well......

So, anger management issues of my own old man aside, what makes your own da mad watching football?

I'd say in my old man's case watching it with his two sons. Although I think his younger son drives him to distraction more than moi. He's the negative one.

May 2nd, 1999, and my old man aged, 62, does a Klinsman on my brother's living room floor at after Albertz's penalty.

If we had captured it,, it would be required watching on matchdays at Ibrox.

I don’t know what my dad learned about football growing up in Patrick but he gets very annoyed when teams don’t waste time correctly.

‘take it to the corner flag!!!!!’

‘You never see Rangers take it to the corner flag’

He’s gets visibly annoyed about it. Was back home for a holiday recently and he uttered these words during a match at the women’s World Cup - he has no skin in that match atall.

I should add, he was captain of Glasgow Uni at one point, played for Drumchapel Amateurs and played Scotland School boys. Loves the ball in the corner flag though.

Pretty much every Scottish pundit.
Lennon
Brown
Sergio Busquets.

My granda was less than *ahem* complimentary about Bobo Balde and Sol Campbell. In fact, always had a comment or 10 whenever Arsenal were playing. You think there's a pattern of sorts, but his favourite players since Souness? Mark Walters and Rod Wallace.
Also wasn't a fan of the offside rule. Phoned up Clyde one night to have his say. Quickly binned as he uttered "it ruins a fùcking good game of football". DJ did agree with him to an extent.

Last edited:
No sure what drives him mad but he re-iterates 3 things.

1. Just run at defenders, that’s how you beat them, Ryan Kent was proof of this theory in his eyes.

2. “Just hit it”, No matter where the ball is, just shoot. I think Albertz spoiled him in this respect

3. He has a penchant for playing players out of position. His latest has been “I’d give Katic a shot up front because he always scores / get penalties at set pieces”

He is fucking mental

I'd need to throw Roy Aitken, Johnny Doyle, Paul Wilson, Lou Macari, Peter Grant, Pat McLuskey, Jimmy Johnstone (in no particular order) into the mix.

When he's had a few beers after a game the hatred all floods out.

You'd think they'd been playing against us that afternoon.

The scrapping of the maximum wage. Dad's face goes an almighty reddish colour when he hears of retired footballers now owning discotheques and the like.

The fact that he can't see it anymore. He is in his nineties with two cataracts, still shouts like mad at the TV and radio though.

This was my Granda in the last two years of his life after he went blind. A man that didn't really have a team just enjoyed watching football and he used to hate he couldn't see it anymore. Then he would constantly moan about the crowd making a noise as he said he couldn't hear the commentators and didn't know what was going on.

My old man Knew Joe Harper and he fuckin hated him............Think it was the 78 world cup and I think he came on as a sub, he got up and turned the telly off.......I was only 11 at the time and it was the first time I heard my Dad swear......It was a severe case of tourettes..........Only thing he hated was how much money they made...

His biggest gripe (and i mean genuinely losing the plot about), is the ball not being in the quadrant for a corner, he has no concept of whole of the ball whole of the line, so actually gets out his seat and shouts at the TV, it's spectacular to witness.

You should have seen his face when I tried to explain why the linesmen now late flag as well......

So, anger management issues of my own old man aside, what makes your own da mad watching football?
Getting beat

Coloured boots, the match ball not being plain white, jersey sponsorship, Rangers players not having their jerseys tucked in and socks up to exact knee height.

(I concur with him.)

Literally everything, I've actually stop watching Football with him, angriest he's been in a while was after we cuffed I think it was Hearts away last season

Best one was the time we beat The Tims at Parkhead 4 -2 (When Pedro scored a cracker) Rangers were up 4 -1 and when Celtic got their 2nd goal he launched his slipper at the TV :D

Not getting past the 1st man and condescending children.
Am 62.

Don't enjoy watching games with my auld boy tbh. Everyone is a dud and guys that never made the grade in his day would be playing for Scotland these days:rolleyes:
My pals dad is murder for that any game we watch in the pub he just slates the players tiresome as %^*& tbh

Back