What manager could 'fix' Man Utd?

I’m not a huge Jose fan by the way.

Saying spending 400m should get you minimum 2nd place in normal circumstances would be correct, but Man Utd had let a team age rather than Ferguson building a new one while on his way out. There was huge investment needed which was mismanaged apparently by Woodward. Successive managers wanted players and were not delivered them, then the club paid over the odds for players that seemingly were not bought to fit a system or style of play, suggesting they were not always the choice of the manager.

Fulham spent around 120m and got relegated. Everton have spent more and are bloody terrible.

What is clear is that there is no quick fix for Man Utd it is a 5 year rebuild job from top to bottom.

Nah mate, not having that. Jose didn’t take over directly from Ferguson, they’d already had 1 season under Moyes and 2 years of Van Gaal spending big on players before he took over, so he wasn’t starting from scratch or anything like that. He spent a fortune to get 2nd spot (they never even really threatened to win it so there was no title race as such), and 2 trophies that are great if you’re Everton, not as great if you’re Man Utd. And then as we know, he imploded (as seems to be the norm for him now) and he lost control. For the money he spent and money he was paid none of that is anything close to acceptable standard for a club like that.

I've disliked that club even when they were in the old second division so I couldn't give a FF who could be their new manager. I will just enjoy their current situation.

The likes of Klopp and Guardiola probably could, but would never take the job.
Man u still have some of the best players, but getting them to play as a team consistently obviously isn't easy, or they've not had the right mgr.
You wonder who the owners will go for next, but surely has to be a big name with a big reputation along the lines of Zidane, Simeone etc. But would they want the hassle of it?
Who do you think could finally fill Fergies shoes?
Do Man U really have some of the best players?

Beyond de gea and pogba....

If they’re as big as they think they are they should at least be asking the question of Pepp / Klopp et al.

It is incredible that they gave the gig to a coach that no other EPL team would’ve even considered.

They should get the right DoF in and let him deal with ALL appointments pertaining to the football.

Eddie Howe & Gareth Southgate should be on the shortlist. Young managers that have some experience working with young talent & seem to be decent coaches as well.

The problem for Man Utd is trying to replace Sir Alex Ferguson.

Chances are, they could be in the wilderness for years.

There is no quick fix.

They need a total clear out and a cull in every department on and off the field.

Owners who actually care and want success.

A ruthless and successful Chief Executive.

A brand new scouting network who can identify the best up and coming talent in Europe and further afield plus bringing genuine world class talent to the club.

A total clear out of an underachieving and quite frankly mediocre and overrated squad of players.

And lastly a SAF type manager who is old school but up to date with the modern game someone who can galvanize and drive forward a team at all costs and give belief and confidence and trust his players. It's a long shot but Simeone could be the man but it could take years possibly longer for Man Utd to be back challenging for the Premiership and being a force again in Europe.

This would be a long term project possibly 5 plus years at the very least imo.

Eddie Howe & Gareth Southgate should be on the shortlist. Young managers that have some experience working with young talent & seem to be decent coaches as well.
I'm not sure Howe would want the job, there is an interview with him this week in which he states he likes having full control over the football side at Bournemouth and has the full support of the owner ( to be fair he has earned it ) at all times, even during runs that would have other chairmen reaching for the p45. However he does end it by saying managing a football club is a job where you never know where you might be next week.

I don't think the manager is so important when it comes to fixing Man Utd. The very fact that Solskjær is asking for another £300m or something and talking about bidding £70m for Declan Rice gives you an insight into everything that is wrong with Utd. They have people at the top that think spending cash will fix everything. PSG are the biggest example in world sport to prove that's horseshit.

The problem for Man Utd is trying to replace Sir Alex Ferguson.

Chances are, they could be in the wilderness for years.

There is no quick fix.
They took a couple of decades more or less to find Ferguson after Busby and it has taken Liverpool even longer to recover their position since their last league title was won.
So no title for Manchester United until maybe the 2030s.

They took a couple of decades more or less to find Ferguson after Busby and it has taken Liverpool even longer to recover their position since their last league title was won.
So no title for Manchester United until maybe the 2030s.
That indeed could well be the case.

They need someone ballsy enough to do what Fergie did in the 80s/90s - clear out and get a core of quality players and bring through a good few talented youngsters who give a %^*& about the club.

As nice a guy and successful player as Ole Gunnar is he doesn't have the gravitas to own that dressing room.

I think Pochettino might be a good option for them. He knows the league and has delivered success beyond what Tottenham should have achieved. But the board would need to back him and give him that 5-6 years to get them onto an even keel, build the squad, get the youth developed properly and integrated into the squad.

I can't see Rodgers going there with his Liverpool history but you never know. It'd add a bit of spice to the fixture at least. He's probably vain enough to want to take it too.
I said this to my mate earlier. It might be too late for Rodgers to get it - think he would need to do a good job with Leicester first and by that time United might have moved on from Ole. I think he would definitely take it though and , in my opinion, do a decent job.

I think now though Pochetino would be a good choice - reached a peak with Spurs now and needs to move in before it's too late and he gets overlooked for the big jobs.

They have a daft model in place that isn't working.

Mourinho was as talented a manager as they could recruit, then and arguably even now yet they signed players above his head and didn't implement strategy he asked for

They are handing out excessive extensions to players like Lingaard and Rashford based on what appears to be what they offer the brand.

They seemingly accept paying excessive fees to show strength of power rather than spending from a place of logic.

Their strategy just now is a Waitrose version of us when Green first arrived - showing shiny expensive things without substance to cover how much is being drained out the club through other areas.

Simeone would make them a stuffy hard to beat team, he would be my choice too.

The problem with Utd is them paying over the odds for players thinking money would solve their situation when it's really messed them up more.

As has been said multiple times already, the problems with Man Utd go much deeper than just the manager. They need to change the structure.

I'd love to see Simeone manage them though. It would be pure, 100% Barclays.

Back