What name and number on Scotland 78 jersey?

Looking to get a name and number on a Scotland 78 jersey. What say FF?

• 14. FORSYTH

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • 2. JARDINE

Votes: 46 39.7%
  • 5. McQUEEN

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • 18. SOUNESS

Votes: 45 38.8%
  • 11. JOHNSTON

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • 17. JOHNSTONE

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters

DezzaS

I'm looking to get a name and number printed on my retro Scotland 78 top but can't make up my mind.

I've got 2 clear front runners.

What say FF?

Funnily enough Scotland were the first international team in the 70s to have their names on the back of the shirts.

Every day's a school day.

15 is the only answer. And no name either.

P.S. If I was being the smart arse, ironic type - I'd go for DJ's squad number.

Willie Johnston was sensational for Scotland for a couple of years up until Argentina 78 ..... he was my favourite player at that time ... a proper winger

Not sure I would have any name, but if I was 10 years old again (as I was then).

I would have Gemmill!

Very unstaunch I know. :p And I have no idea of his allegiances etc but as an old guy that goal is etched in my brain.

From memory he had no chance of being fit for the start, but McLeod took him, hoping he would be fit in time for the final.
Could be an urban myth.
I have read quite a few bits and bobs about McQueen since I watched the Icons of Football episode about him. I had a good chuckle at the following comment he made about playing Barcelona in the European Cup Semi Final…

"We played Barcelona in the semi-final and we were 2-1 up going into the second leg in Spain," McQueen recalled. "A few of their players said they were going to do me and Jimmy Armfield, our manager, told me to count to 10 if anything happened. The boy (Manuel) Clares spat in my face. I counted to 10 and then knocked him out. I was sent off. Missed the final."

Not sure if an urban myth but I remember reading he was going to be fit for the semis!

Yep, McLeod believed he would be playing then.

To be fair I believed we were going to win the thing, in defence I wasn't even 10 at the time and it has left me traumatised over Scotland in tournament football ever since.

To be fair I believed we were going to win the thing, in defence I wasn't even 10 at the time and it has left me traumatised over Scotland in tournament football ever since.
I was only 7 at the time so I wouldn’t have been aware of such things, but apparently we were third favourites to win the tournament.

I have read quite a few bits and bobs about McQueen since I watched the Icons of Football episode about him. I had a good chuckle at the following comment he made about playing Barcelona in the European Cup Semi Final…

"We played Barcelona in the semi-final and we were 2-1 up going into the second leg in Spain," McQueen recalled. "A few of their players said they were going to do me and Jimmy Armfield, our manager, told me to count to 10 if anything happened. The boy (Manuel) Clares spat in my face. I counted to 10 and then knocked him out. I was sent off. Missed the final."
I met Gordon in the West Enclosure at a European game many years ago. He said he was scouting but he just wanted to see the Rangers, truth be told. I doubt you get many scouts at the rear of the WE. I would have thought they were in the main stand.

From memory he had no chance of being fit for the start, but McLeod took him, hoping he would be fit in time for the final.
Could be an urban myth.
Might also be a myth, but they took a seat out the plane to get him in. As they said on the funny version of Only an Excuse in an Ally McLeod voice

“tall, strong, commanding in the air, injured”

Great player beforehand

I met Gordon in the West Enclosure at a European game many years ago. He said he was scouting but he just wanted to see the Rangers, truth be told. I doubt you get many scouts at the rear of the WE. I would have thought they were in the main stand.
Yip, it’s always been pretty well known that the big man was a bluenose. He’s from good Ayrshire stock.

don't think vintage jerseys should have a name, the number should speak for itself.

I'm biased at 18 or 2.
Funnily enough Scotland were the first international team in the 70s to have their names on the back of the shirts.

But not until 1979 which was after the World Cup the OP's jersey is from, so Number 4's advice is relevant. If you must OP it has to be 2.

Secondly, having been at the said Peru game, no one in the stadium would have been any the wiser about the names on the shirts because no one could see that far as it poured for an hour before the game, all the way through the game, and eventually for about 20 minutes after it. :D We often talk about the Osasuna game on here being the wettest ever...I was there too at that one and believe me the Peru game was worse, much wetter.

Back