What next for RTV medium term?

I take a few of the ones doing that couldn't afford the tenner. Done it once or twice myself when the RTV stream has been poor
I accept that but my argument to that is they wouldn’t have season tickets or they would have had their free access. If you don’t have a season ticket in a normal season then you were likely to pay to go to 2-3 times a year so could afford to pay for a few games online.

An app on the android store is needed so it can be installed on TVs.
The 'android store'? Google Play Store should be available on Smart TVs with the android tv system. Not all Smart TVs are classed as android tvs though. LG and Samsung, to name but two, use a different system. So its not as simple as having a single app available. Then there's the fact that all Smart TVs are not equal - what works on one tv may not work on another.

I'd settle for an App that can successfully be sideloaded to Fire TV Stick and other devices. At present you can sideload the App to a Fire TV Stick - but it won't launch after you do.

In truth, at the moment, no matter what device you are using you are better to go with the browser rather than the App. Its only a couple of extra 'clicks' to get you to the Login screen from your Favourites/Bookmarks.

The 'android store'? Google Play Store should be available on Smart TVs with the android tv system. Not all Smart TVs are classed as android tvs though. LG and Samsung, to name but two, use a different system. So its not as simple as having a single app available. Then there's the fact that all Smart TVs are not equal - what works on one tv may not work on another.

I'd settle for an App that can successfully be sideloaded to Fire TV Stick and other devices. At present you can sideload the App to a Fire TV Stick - but it won't launch after you do.

In truth, at the moment, no matter what device you are using you are better to go with the browser rather than the App. Its only a couple of extra 'clicks' to get you to the Login screen from your Favourites/Bookmarks.

Yeah, sorry. I know it's available on the Good Play Store to download it to your phone.

They have to make a solution so that it can play on those TVs. Either through a firestick type option or an Nvidia Shield.

Ideally, given a huge percentage of teles are either LG, Sony, Panasonic or Samsung (I'd guess they account for 90% of teles in houses) they'd just get an app that works on those four main platforms.

I'm no computer expert but surely the basis can be set up for one and tweaked for the others.

That said, the website is still a confuddled shambles so maybe it is beyond the team.

A firestick app would be ideal rather than having to hook my laptop up to the TV to watch the game (can't cast from the laptop to the TV for some reason).

A monthly option for overseas would be ideal.

A firestick app would be ideal rather than having to hook my laptop up to the TV to watch the game (can't cast from the laptop to the TV for some reason).

A monthly option for overseas would be ideal.
Just use the browser on the Fire TV Stick mate, if its only for live streams. Its a bit of a problem with the video content but works for most for live matches.

I'm hoping we see the overseas monthly Unlimited re-introduced when/if they start to align pricing and get away from the current Legacy subs (as much as that will hit me in the pocket)..

A better iOS app that doesn’t stutter every minute or so.
Dedicated apple /android tv apps
Servers capable of the demand

As for the content.

remember when setanta broadcast 4 hours of content a night… something like that would be a start.

i would like them to do show on monday to review the match on sat/sun and a show on friday to preview the weekend game they already have a studio they use and can use the at the back of enclosure
That would be good, also have some fan content as well.
An end of season review wouldn’t go a miss

The footage for all matches is provided by the SPFLs contractor as far as I’m aware and not RangersTV. We do have a camera we use that’s been in the Govan Stand this season and provides the extra footage we see on Inside Ibrox for example, but isn’t used for live transmission, plus some GoPros.
Ah I see I wasn't very caught up with everything but thanks for clearing that up for me

In 1997 SKY had a ’Rangers tv’ programme several times a week for an hour or so. It contained interviews, a ’brains trust’ discussion with leading journalists (I know, I know - harder to find these days) and a round up of the matches that week.

As has been highlighted already, Inside Ibrox and Away Days are a great start. Add to this the idea of people like David Edgar et al in a ’live’ studio discussion would be excellent, say 3 days a week plus the game at the weekend. Almost like a tv podcast.

In 1997 SKY had a ’Rangers tv’ programme several times a week for an hour or so. It contained interviews, a ’brains trust’ discussion with leading journalists (I know, I know - harder to find these days) and a round up of the matches that week.

As has been highlighted already, Inside Ibrox and Away Days are a great start. Add to this the idea of people like David Edgar et al in a ’live’ studio discussion would be excellent, say 3 days a week plus the game at the weekend. Almost like a tv podcast.
Whilst the general idea has merit I'm not sure the 'podders' would go for it. On a RangersTV production everything would have to be ultra-pc. We've seen how the Inside 55 planned video failed to materialise. I'm not sure any 'podder' worth their salt, such as @David Edgar, would wish to be hamstrung by the restrictions appearing on RangersTV would place upon them.

There's certainly a gem of an idea there to be explored though.

Whilst the general idea has merit I'm not sure the 'podders' would go for it. On a RangersTV production everything would have to be ultra-pc. We've seen how the Inside 55 planned video failed to materialise. I'm not sure any 'podder' worth their salt, such as @David Edgar, would wish to be hamstrung by the restrictions appearing on RangersTV would place upon them.

There's certainly a gem of an idea there to be explored though.

I could definitely forego my heavy and repeated use of certain words for a family audience!

At least 3-4 hours of new programming every day. The model for me would be a paid version of DallasCowboys.com

A mix of paid employees and guests discussing the topics of the day with behind the scenes access- I always find the the training vids etc. the best non-match content on there.

Get proper experts to talk in their field - e.g. coaches and analysts to provide the tactical viewpoint.

Pregame preview and post game review (assuming no Uk rights to broadcast)

I’d go further and partner with Heart&Hand or other fan media in such a way there was access to independent content but where the club could get their viewpoint aired through “back channels” without the mainstream media filter. I’d be vey clear in setting this up to protect editorial independence so it doesn’t become happy flappy but I’d rather have outside criticism through a filter that comes from the view of constructive criticism.

I currently pay the £17/month package. My goal would be to provide enough content that folk would rather pay £30 for Rtv than the cost of Sky Sports.

Old highlights packages re-examined with modern analysis, Phone ins, a virtual “pub” where folk can interact via Zoom.
I pay 35 a month for sky sports and bt plus 9.99 for any game not on they platforms I'd happily pay 50 a month for all Rangers games I can only attend occasionally because of work! If they had all games ie Europe I'd pay even more as long as the stream is good couldn't care less.

I pay 35 a month for sky sports and bt plus 9.99 for any game not on they platforms I'd happily pay 50 a month for all Rangers games I can only attend occasionally because of work! If they had all games ie Europe I'd pay even more as long as the stream is good couldn't care less.
£240 a year for all Rangers games live EXCEPT European group stages and beyond. If in the UK you'd need a VPN of course. As an 'added bonus' you get some of the womens team games and - maybe - next season, some of the Colts games.

I'd like them to sort out the quality and reliability of the actual streams before anything else.
I only remember one outage tbh. Can't remember which one it was but the coverage didn't start well in to the game.

Other than that any issue I have had has been local and not related to the actual stream.

I only remember one outage tbh. Can't remember which one it was but the coverage didn't start well in to the game.

Other than that any issue I have had has been local and not related to the actual stream.
I had 0 issues with it, st Johnstone was really the only game I can remember it cutting it out for a lot people

I’ve been using it for a few years now and have only had a handful of issues - all of which impacted everybody. Last season it was the St Johnstone game at Ibrox, which I struggled with until about 10 minutes into the match, and the Trophy Day game with Aberdeen, when I lost the pre-match and had some buffering in last 10 minutes.

Overall that’s pretty decent. In my experience the same guys have the same problems on multiple occasions.. Make of that what you will.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: fmp
I’d like the coverage not to start on mute so that, when you tap to unmute the bloody thing doesn’t pause the coverage
Don’t need to tap to unmute on most devices. Clicking on the Full Screen icon will normally unmute as well.

Last edited:
Trophy day was a disgrace. The virtual ST holders were well catered for, Unlimited subscribers seemed to have a different feed that was a shambles.
Will this be fixed @Greg Marshall ?

Just want to echo the calls for an Android TV app.

Would honestly make me use the service so much more.

Also meant to say live streaming of all academy and women’s games.

I’d schedule games so there was at least one per day.

I’d rather watch Rangers under 12s than epl. I guess I’m in the minority but I guess not a tiny one. I think there’s a lot of folk would rather watch a shit game featuring a team in Rangers shirts than a shit game between “whatever” teams in red and yellow.
I am the same actually.

Absolutely no issues for me with RTV ever, I would suggest it may be your internet.

I have a mixed bag of issues but it’s not caused by my internet.

Now TV, Netflix, live BBC iPlayer and ITV player all fine - why can’t I easily watch RTV on a Firestick?
It’s a lot better on my laptop but I shouldn’t have to use a specific device and jump through hoops to use it. If Netflix did that they’d lose a lot of subscribers.

I have a mixed bag of issues but it’s not caused by my internet.

Now TV, Netflix, live BBC iPlayer and ITV player all fine - why can’t I easily watch RTV on a Firestick?
It’s a lot better on my laptop but I shouldn’t have to use a specific device and jump through hoops to use it. If Netflix did that they’d lose a lot of subscribers.
I use my Panasonic Smart TV, had initial problems, now works fine, bought a small cheap and cheerful wireless keyboard for going through the menus, and is very good, plus assistance from FF.

I use my Panasonic Smart TV, had initial problems, now works fine, bought a small cheap and cheerful wireless keyboard for going through the menus, and is very good, plus assistance from FF.

This is really my point. Everyone has their own solution and gets it working but that shouldn’t be needed, you shouldn’t have to consult FF to get it working.

Nobody is on forums trying to get Netflix working. It just works. And so do many other streaming services.

If they could restore the functionality of casting from Apple devices to Chromecast for example that would be great. It was lost when the app was revamped.

Back