What transfer budget do you think will we have this summer?

I can’t see us (or any club for that matter) spending big this transfer window. Players that would have been £5m six months ago will no be £1m if the selling club is desperate! A back up left back/right back, a backup striker (Kamberi?) and a first choice quality central midfielder should be our lot.

Some big figures being quoted here.
Reality is we may have to sell to buy or wheel and deal at the lower end of the market plus there will be the standard Liverpool loanee.

I know but where will it come from , we need to sell imo.
The 6 or 7 players that have went will only help the monthly overheads.
They werent big earners anyway.
This is where we have been negligent Gerrard should have come in and built a team round his signings and moulded them in to his style of play.
instead we have signed more and more squad fillers and now need a big overhaul when funds might not be available.

I think we (the support) need a reality check we won't be spending big money the coronavirus will have affected this. People thinking we will spend 15/20 million are in for a shock. I think he will be given the same amount to spend from previous seasons.

We need to sell Tavernier, Goldson and Morelos to bring in some funds and for Wilson to find us better players with these funds and whatever else the board bring.
We need a better right back and a more reliable CH with pace.
We need two midfielders who can control the pace of a game and we need goals from our midfield who have gave us a very poor return the last few seasons.
We need a few strikers, their discipline has to be better and they need to score all season.
All of these players need to be coming straight into the first 11.
A right sided wide midfielder if I was being greedy.

We need to sell Tavernier, Goldson and Morelos to bring in some funds and for Wilson to find us better players with these funds and whatever else the board bring.
We need two midfielders who can control the pace of a game and we need goals from our midfield who have gave us a very poor return the last few seasons.
We need a few strikers, their discipline has to be better and they need to score all season.
I agree with you saying sell Morelos as we could possibly get £15m + for him but I wouldn’t sell Tav or Goldson unless someone offers us something we can’t refuse. Tav is the best right back in the league and Goldson is our best centre half, I’d look to sell Katic for €5m and Kamara for €10m if the reports about Marseille willing to pay that are true.

Definitely agree that we desperately need more goals from our centre mid, the Armstrong rumour is interesting because he’d certainly contribute at least 10 goals from the midfield in my opinion.

Think it's been said before that we don't have a budget as such but either way, I don't see us splashing out huge sums. Maybe a few bodies at a couple of million each spread over a few years

You are going to have a long, and incredibly disappointing, Summer mate. Be prepared.;)

I think it will depend on out goings - if any of the “big hitters” are sold a chunk of that will be re invested - if none of them are sold ... then I don’t see us spending huge sums of money

I think it will depend on out goings - if any of the “big hitters” are sold a chunk of that will be re invested - if none of them are sold ... then I don’t see us spending huge sums of money

I was just about to post the same, really depends on who leaves what with current downturn on income

I agree with you saying sell Morelos as we could possibly get £15m + for him but I wouldn’t sell Tav or Goldson unless someone offers us something we can’t refuse. Tav is the best right back in the league and Goldson is our best centre half, I’d look to sell Katic for €5m and Kamara for €10m if the reports about Marseille willing to pay that are true.

Definitely agree that we desperately need more goals from our centre mid, the Armstrong rumour is interesting because he’d certainly contribute at least 10 goals from the midfield in my opinion.

Disagree on Tav and Goldson. I don’t think they are mentally strong enough to be the players who drag a team over the line. Both are prone to making crucial errors when under no pressure and we need better to win things.
If we go into next season with the same core 4 players SG has played Tav, Goldson, Jack and Morelos we will not win a thing and will have gifted them 10 in a row.
Our core needs to be rock solid and these 4 aren’t.

You are going to have a long, and incredibly disappointing, Summer mate. Be prepared.;)

It is what I would like to happen. Doesn’t mean I think it will happen.
However if we don’t improve the core of our team and replace the perennial losers then I won’t be the only Rangers supporter very disappointed at the end of the season.

£5 million tops. How much of that is eaten up by the Hagi fee i'm not sure. Hopefully that will be covered by last/this seasons EL run. Personally i'd spunk the lot on an experienced, ball-winning midfielder who's not afraid to mix it. A cheaper version of Souness if you like. Ideally someone with experience in British football, perhaps even an old pro from the likes of Stoke, Burnley, or some other perennial mid-table EPL side.

I get that will leave us bare at LB and up front. I think we might need to free up a few more salaries (Barker, Jones, and either Stewart or Kamberi) and hopefully pick up a couple of decent loan deals to fill those holes. However, I believe we are a small step away from being a really good side, and a player like this would not only be the final piece in the jigsaw, but elevate the contribution from others in the squad. IMHO part of reason we havent seen the best of Kent is he needs a minder (so will Hagi by the way) and there are others in the side, such as Jack and Arfield, who have fire in their belly and just need a leader.

Ideally Ross McCrorie might fit this role, but I dont think he's ready and there are still reservations over his ability. However with Ross in mind for the future, that might allow us to move for an older more experience pro. We might even get one out of contract and save on the fee. However, we cant dick about on this anymore. Whether you call it lack of fight, bottle, psychology, its clear this type of player is sorely needed in our side. It's the Elephant in the Room with the gaffer's management IMHO.

There is absolutely no way we Only have a transfer budget of 5 million lol and spent 3 million of it on hagi we spent 7 million on Kent alone the season previous , it will be at least 10-15 million.

There is absolutely no way we Only have a transfer budget of 5 million lol and spent 3 million of it on hagi we spent 7 million on Kent alone the season previous , it will be at least 10-15 million.

You do know what’s going on in the World and the financial implications of it for us? We’ve already seen major investment put ‘on hold’ for one thing, face increased costs for testing, lesser matchday income (even if ST sales do hold up) and likely rebates or other measures to compensate ST holders for missed matches next season. Our rivals will face the same, but expecting major investment in transfers, unless it comes for sales of players, is pie-in-the-sky. These are not normal times.

I think the boat will be pushed out this summer £15-20 million with one or two assets sold to cover the expenditure.

Failure to seriously enhance our team and the squad will not get us close to winning the league.

I might have lowballed it a bit, (and excluded the Hagi deal in my thinking) and your figure might be right under normal circumstances. However, if we are unable to play in front of full crowds until next year I think the club will be conservative until that time, perhaps rightly so. That is unless this speculated investment comes in, of course.

Just my opinion.

Now I’m not stupid and I know Coronavirus will obviously impact everyone financially but, with a European run that would’ve brought in a decent amount, a new merchandise deal, season ticket sales, MyGers and £20m + investment coming in soon, will we have a budget that can realistically get us the players we clearly need?

I expect us to spend, in total, somewhere between £5-£10m.

This summer we don’t need to buy in bulk. We just need 3-4 key additions.

Same unrealistic wild expectations every Summer.

We won't be spending £10m even if Alfie and a few others go.

We don't need to either.

Same unrealistic wild expectations every Summer.

We won't be spending £10m even if Alfie and a few others go.

We don't need to either.
With respect there were an awful lot of posters this time last year saying there was zero chance we would be spending anything like 12 million.

I’ve no idea what we’ll spend btw as I think a lot may depend on player sales,but last year we barely brought any money in with regards to that either.

Let’s wait and see.

We are going to have a hole of millions a month until this is all over.

The expectation on this thread is absolutely mental. Yes, it will affect other clubs....but despite all this & having signed Hagi, some are expecting £20m odd to be available.

Absolutely bananas. Yes, season ticket cash will cover us for a while if we so end up spending and so so responsibly fine, but let's wait and see.

Back