What type of midfielder do we need?

Gazza 8

Official Ticketer
In the Zungu thread I've seen a lot of contrasting posts on what type of player we need in the middle of the park.. I'm sure we all agree that it's an area we need to strengthen.

A tough tackling enforcer?
Box to box?
Forward thinking/ goalscoring?

In my opinion we lack energy and drive from midfield so an athletic box to box would be ideal.

Jack, Davis & Kamara are all tidy on the ball & can all do a job sitting in front of a back four but it's very pedestrian at times.. for me only 1 of these 3 should be starting at any given time when playing the lesser teams.

For me Jack plays the holding role best, aka breaks play up, covers the full backs and keeps it simple.

Aribo will be given the freedom to get forward and support the forwards.

If we can find a third midfielder to compliment these two I think it will take us up another level and see us become a proper team capable of seriously challenging them over 38 games.

Someone with a good passing range who won't get a nosebleed every time he gets into the 18 yard box.

After today's signings (and the likely outgoings of Docherty, McCrorie etc), where does that place in terms of the homegrown rule for European ties? Curious how that will dictate future business.

Pogba... But better.

I'd be looking for a big, forward thinking player with a shot on him and excellent vision and passing ability to exploit it. But who also isn't affriad to get stuck in, and speed enough to seem like he is everywhere at once. Someone who will drive us forward when we are tiring and rally the troops.

Is that asking too much?!?

Better then pogba... We want a young Gerrard!

Pogba... But better.

I'd be looking for a big, forward thinking player with a shot on him and excellent vision and passing ability to exploit it. But who also isn't affriad to get stuck in, and speed enough to seem like he is everywhere at once. Someone who will drive us forward when we are tiring and rally the troops.

Definitely not anyone like Pogba, we've got Souness on the commentary team

We need two for me an enforcer and a 10 type to play further up or competition for Hagi and Kent .

A Fabinho style midfielder - a quarterback that can break the lines.

A Fabinho style midfielder - a quarterback that can break the lines.

I think if, as it appears we are, following the Liverpool model, then a Fabinho lite, if you like, would be the one Gerrard is looking to add.

The rate Aribo is developing he really should be that goalscoring midfielder we crave this season. With the additions to the forward line today I'd say the warrior that Gerrard eluded to is now the priority player to complete the jigsaw.

A player who likes to get forward and can contribute to goals. I really like Turnbull and would like to see us bring him in before the tims have another go

IMO we need 2 midfielders, a starting box to box midfielder who will chip in with goals and a back up to Aribo.

In the Zungu thread I've seen a lot of contrasting posts on what type of player we need in the middle of the park.. I'm sure we all agree that it's an area we need to strengthen.

Box to box?

In my opinion we lack energy and drive from midfield so an athletic box to box would be ideal.

Jack, Davis & Kamara are all tidy on the ball & can all do a job sitting in front of a back four but it's very pedestrian at times.. for me only 1 of these 3 should be starting at any given time when playing the lesser teams.

For me Jack plays the holding role best, aka breaks play up, covers the full backs and keeps it simple.

If we can find a third midfielder to compliment these two I think it will take us up another level and see us become a proper team capable of seriously challenging them over 38 games.
Bit of all rounder for me I.e Barry Ferguson but obviously they are not easier to come by.
Over to you Ross Wilson

A unit of a DM that can play an incisive pass when required and an attack minded one that will break the lines and get in amongst the Goals and Assists

Box to box?

Steven Gerrard

It’s not a good scoring midfielder we need, it’s more goals from aribo, hagi, kent.

it’s a proper class DM who can read a game a control the tempo And make a game his own.

A Kevin Thomson type for me, aggressive and could break up play but also had a decent skill level and would drive us forward. Having someone like him alongside an Aribo with a front 4 of Kent, Hagi, Itten and Roofe would blow away most teams in our league.

Someone who can shoot from outside the box . Our long range shooting from midfield is woeful, and every team in the league knows it .means they can camp in there box . And we have to play through a packed box .

Pogba... But better.

Sounds like Big Jorg to me

Feel like if/when Alfie goes, this is going to be a priority for us. We need someone in the 04/05/06 Gerrard mould to come in with sell-on value. Obviously not as good ability wise, but some attributes like being able to shoot from distance, accurate forward passing, good game reading and can also put a good tackle in.

Box to box?

We need a player who takes a touch looks up and plays the ball FORWARD and created scoring opportunities

Back