What was / is the plan for this season?

TimzRFudz

The specifics of today are being done to death in other threads. However like SDF and a few others I'm more interested in the bigger picture now. For avoidance of doubt, I believe that we have the correct manager in place.

However, I'm confused as to what we're trying to do this season. If we have decided to chuck some money at it, smelled blood (and I think we all did in the first half of the season) and tried to go for it this year then the loans, the short-termism stuff I can sort of understand.

If the plan was to gut out the squad from last season, rebuild and develop a side not just capable of nicking a title off of the filth to appease those shitting the bed about the 10IAR crap but of being competitive for the next two or three years then we're making an arse of it.

Today we were dished up piss poor football and were lucky to get away with a 0-0 against a shite team. Grinding out 1-0s will be acceptable to me and I guess many others if we win the league this year. But that looks gone now. Instead we're watching substandard football, indulging guys like Davis and Defoe, developing Worrall who will be fucking off back to Forest whilst our own CB sits on his arse, and so on.

I'm starting to worry about what sort of vision we actually have for Gerrard's tenure. We're almost 1 season into his 4 year contract. Yes we are healthier on and off the pitch than we were a year ago. But we seem incapable of putting together a string of consistent performances. When one player has an off day then the finger points at that player. When a whole team regularly has off days the fingers start to point elsewhere. And come the summer we will still need major surgery, and indeed we can probably already face up to losing Davis, Defoe, Kent, Worrall, Coulibally and probably Morelos. That's a lot of shirts needing filled. I worry about where we're heading. There have been too many nights like tonight to view them as blips any more.

What makes you believe we have the right manager in place.

Strong in the transfer market.

Tactically strong, aware, astute.

Ability to identify weaknesses and correct.

Plan b, ability to adapt, change the course of a game. Break down dogged, organised and well drilled opposition.

His use of substitutions and at the right time.

Good man management skills.

Ability to raise the players.

Get the best out of players.

See a reaction.

Learn from mistakes.

Set up, formation, choice of personnel depending on the opposition.

Domestic performances, results...

Serious questions?

We are a flat, unorganised, one paced team who resort to long ball football when Morelos is out. We have no answers to teams of a lesser ability who get in our face and make it hard for us. Gerrard struggles to out do average managers who possess the slightest bits of tactical awareness and his decision making is poor.

It's nearly March and we continue to make the same mistakes, we continue to tinker, shoe horn players into the team. We don't have a way of breaking down poor opposition, our style of play, standard and quality is absolutely horrendous.

Gerrard was this inspirational captain, leader, figure, yet our players look like they are out for a stroll and when the going gets tough, they shit the bed.

It's another season, another management team yet the same old mistakes, errors, problems and issues. You don't become a competent manager over night.

What makes you believe we have the right manager in place.

Strong in the transfer market.

Tactically strong, aware, astute.

Ability to identify weaknesses and correct.

Plan b, ability to adapt, change the course of a game. Break down dogged, organised and well drilled opposition.

His use of substitutions and at the right time.

Good man management skills.

Ability to raise the players.

Get the best out of players.

See a reaction.

Learn from mistakes.

Set up, formation, choice of personnel depending on the opposition.

Domestic performances, results...

Serious questions?

We are a flat, unorganised, one paced team who resort to long ball football when Morelos is out. We have no answers to teams of a lesser ability who get in our face and make it hard for us. Gerrard struggles to out do average managers who possess the slightest bits of tactical awareness and his decision making is poor.

It's nearly March and we continue to make the same mistakes, we continue to tinker, shoe horn players into the team. We don't have a way of breaking down poor opposition, our style of play, standard and quality is absolutely horrendous.

Gerrard was this inspirational captain, leader, figure, yet our players look like they are out for a stroll and when the going gets tough, they shit the bed.

It's another season, another management team yet the same old mistakes, errors, problems and issues. You don't become a competent manager over night.

I don't necessarily disagree with much (any?) of that mate. I suppose I should have worded my OP differently insofar as I still believe in him and back him. But yes, there are questions. And I worry that we're not learning quickly enough.

Bizarrely the season seems to be panning out the opposite from what I perhaps thought we might see: a nervy, stuffy team at the start, hard to beat, capable of grinding out results though. Then as the season progressed a clearer image of what Gerrard wants us to become. A bit more gallus. Some swagger and attractive football. Building consistency.

It's been the reverse of that. Gerrard alluded to as much in his interview tonight. I hope he's got the answers.

Last edited:
Gerrard gets a pass this season but if it's the same pish next season then alarm bells will be ringing.

For me the plan/expectation for this season was to get the nucleas of a squad together that can stop 10 in a row and get Gerrard accustomed to being a manager.

Both happening.

If we win the cup (unlikely), split the results against the scum (definitely possible), finish within 8 points of them (maybe) and take into consideration our UEFA Cup achivements then we are at least where we should hope to be by now.

there have been positives aspects to this season

Europe/the OF victory and performance

but that today has been evident far too often

shite attitude, shite performance and managerial decisions that don't improve anything

why play defoe in the 4-3-3 built to accommodate morelos bustling all action style?

we are so far off it in so many games it beggars belief

Gerrard gets a pass this season but if it's the same pish next season then alarm bells will be ringing.
Said on another thread, I'm firmly behind him and he should get next season but if there is no improvement at the end of 19/20 season then he should be offski.

My worry is he is not learning. He made 3 subs today and we were a mess, with no shape and lucky to get a point in the end.

If his name wasn't Steven Gerrard he'd be on rocky road. But we need to give him the season to establish his team gets used to Scottish Football. If the same problems are here next season then i worry for Gerrard. We didn't do enough in January.

Need to get real here failure is failure does not matter a fck what your name is,as I posted previously 2nd place at worse or it's major fail

For me the plan/expectation for this season was to get the nucleas of a squad together that can stop 10 in a row and get Gerrard accustomed to being a manager.

Both happening.
The nucleas of a squad shouldn't contain so many loan players

We surely don’t know if he gets pass marks this season-too early yet

What if we end up 2/3 ? Unlikely, but we are so inconsistent we don’t know

I am on the same page as you I don't think we have a joined up scouting and footballing strategy.

There's little doubt Defoe and Davis were seen as bringing in the quality and experience to really push on for the title-I and a few others were doubtful if they resolved the issues within the team and whether they could adapt quickly enough.

In footballing terms we very probably invested in Barisic and Grezda in the belief they could develop and be sold at a profit-as it is both are struggling with the step up. I doubt we really scouted them and to say we were aware of them is not the same thing.

Surely the whole club has to learn from this season?

Back