What was your path to following the Rangers?

Grew up with DJ,s young brother at school so when he signed for us I was hooked on Rangers. Im just glad he never chose the scum

I am always interested in finding out ways that people have taken an interest in our fantastic club.

For some the story will be a family tradition but others it might have been a particular player that sparked an interest or a certain team or been taken randomly by a friend etc.

My path is a rather traditional one. Both grandfather's were brought up around Ibrox, one from Govan the other in Kinning Park and were taken to the games by their dad's. My grand father took my dad who in turn took me. I am sure that's maybe a similar story shared by many on here but I am sure there are a wide variety of stories from how we all started supporting the Gers.
Born ‘75 so early years Rangers were struggling , earliest memories Cammy Fraser , Tin man and obv cooper and super Ally . As a wee boy I went to watch my local junior Kilsyth Rangers until I was old enough to go and see the famous and I’ve never looked back

My path was out the front door, down a flight of stairs, along the black ash beside the albion, across broomloan Road at the roundabout, along edmiston drive then cross when I got to the east enclosure then up the stairs :cool:

My dad took me to a few games when I was a nipper. Don't remember much other than looking down into the warm-up area under the main stand, and work going on building one of the 3 stands.

My mum would have preferred me to support the local team (Motherwell) but with my dad, papa and uncle all being bears, she was fighting a losing battle.

I am always interested in finding out ways that people have taken an interest in our fantastic club.

For some the story will be a family tradition but others it might have been a particular player that sparked an interest or a certain team or been taken randomly by a friend etc.

My path is a rather traditional one. Both grandfather's were brought up around Ibrox, one from Govan the other in Kinning Park and were taken to the games by their dad's. My grand father took my dad who in turn took me. I am sure that's maybe a similar story shared by many on here but I am sure there are a wide variety of stories from how we all started supporting the Gers.

Good thread mate.

I'm 3rd generation.

My Grandad Maybole bn 1879 then onto my Dad Dennistoun bn 1920 - i've passed down to my two kids and now both grandkids.

My Mother and Fathers family were all Gers Supporters, my Pals were all Gers Supporters, my Uncle was the treasurer of the Coatbridge RSC back in the late 70’s so he took me to the games when I was 12.

The only person who wasn’t a Gers fan was my Father, he supported the Manky Mob :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I support my home town club Luton Town, but absolutely love Rangers too, thanks to a Scots family heritage of Father & 3/4 Scots Grandparents. Will never forget my Dad's Dad telling me off for cheering Celtic on in their 1967 European Cup Final. By the time of their 1970 one I was educated enough to support Feyenoord in it, though being totally honest that was more down to a Chelsea/Rangers supporting schoolmate.

In truth my folk never rammed Rangers down my throat only saying " If anyone asks who is your Scottish team, it's ALWAYS Rangers and absolutely never Celtic.

But I became a Gers fanatic thanks to my family's time living in Adelaide, Oz from 1972 - 74. Aged 14 I met a schoolmate from Belfast there by the name of John Foy. It was he who 'educated' me in all things Linfield/Rangers, the 12th of July and Orange ism etc. Something my Scots folk barely ever mentioned - except for one of my Granddads brother Uncle John who always sang the tunes every Xmas when pished lol

My first Bears match was a weekend train trip (£5 return!) with the old sadly missed Glasgow Rangers Luton Supporters Club for our 1979 League Cup Final 2-1 win against the Sheep at Hampden. I came back home raving to all and sundry about THE best atmosphere at a football match I'd just experienced...........since then I've been to see us all over in Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and much of Europe and was in Spain for our recent Euro Final (no match ticket like most though).

I was christened by the Rev James Currie at his Pollok Parish Church.

The good Reverend was also a staunch Rangers man so ive been in good hands since infancy.

Once a Ranger......

A good friend to my family was Mr Currie and married my mum and dad. A very good man by all accounts.

My Dad's a gers man but I never really paid much attention until I was about 4 or 5 at school when 2 of my pals were rangers fans so I decided that was a good idea

No blaming the schools for this bear

I'm first generation.

I sometimes get jealous reading posters on here talking about having that bond with their dads going to games, going on the buses, getting bought STs as youngsters etc.

But im also weirdly proud that I'm the one in my family that started the tradition and will pass it down when the time comes

My Papa took me to games from the ages of 8/9 but he was actually a Sheff Wed fan and we never had a ST.

My first ever wage i earned when I was 16 was spent on my first ever ST.. which I'll have until the day I pass.

Was taken to Ibrox aged four by my dad who explained that this was our team, it was also my grandfathers team and a tradition passed down. Thanks dad.

I was born in EK but my family moved to Aberdeen when I was three. My Dad wasn’t really bothered about football but worked in circulation and promotion for the Daily Record in the 60’s and 70’s and was always around players - Jerry Dawson worked for my Dad as Rangers rep
When I showed an interest in football my dad took me to Pittodrie wearing a Rangers scarf which Jerry gave me. He bought me a rangers strip and told me that it didn’t matter that I was the only bear in the whole primary school and to stick to my guns!
Dad came from Riddrie and was staunch as you like!

My dad wasn’t interested in football.

My favourite colour was blue and the first non international match I remember seeing on tv was the 1978 Scottish Cup Final

The blue team won

Worth noting that we didn’t even have a colour tv until 1981 (from DER) so I think I watched it at my grans neighbours in Springburn with my Star Wars figures mate - I think his old grandpa was a bear

Last edited:
My dad wasn't interested in football and a Fifer but my mum and her family were born and bred in Bridgeton , Bernard St to be precise, so there was only 1 team you supported .
Similar, my dad didn't care about football, but neighbor was Rangers daft and had kids the same age. That was that!

Butcher, Woods and Gary Stevens really. Also being taken on a kids football club trip to Ibrox from north of England and standing at the start of the 90s. Later in life at Celtic v Blackburn meeting some Rangers lads and going up Ibrox for a few matches. Good mate at School was from Govan and a Rangers fan as well.

Brought up as a kid with mates supporting St Mirren but had a couple of uncles took me to One Of every now and then, teacher at school took a few of us to home games of the 72 European cup run, stopped going to games as I started playing, which I did till I was 38.
Mate had a friend in the ticket office and managed to get us two mid season books then we got full season books the next season which I had for 20 years before moving to spain.

Come from killie. Back in the 80s my old man used to have a few independent bookie shops on PRW. My brother and I used to go up with him on a Saturday. He used to send us along to Ibrox to get us out the shops.

Red white and Blue travelled across from NI at young age when the journey was tough
Many nights spent at Stranraer following ferry problems but following in the footsteps of others

Grew up in the south of England as a Chelsea fan originally (this was when I was around 5/6 years old), simply because I liked blue and Zola was my idol at the time. However my Mum met my step-dad who is a bluenose a couple of years later and set me on the right path, now I'm up here and passing it on to my boy.

Been going to games as far back as a can remember. Das Family's from govan/tradeston area so think we go back a fair while with the bears. Can safely say I wasn't going to grow up any other way. My mas sides a bit different all her brothers are rangers fans but my Granda and his brothers are poets. Dunno if being born in blackhill plays a part in that right enough lol

Born into it, it was natural. I can even remember as a small kid getting taken to the sand dunes at gullane to see them train, while we were on holiday at port seton. I would be around 5.

My Grandfather & father both Rangers supporters, living in West Lothian my grandfathers family from Northern Ireland, my dads brothers all Gers men,

Father took me to an OF game. The atmosphere had me hooked. That is why safe standing should be a top priority.

Born as one of the people. All Rangers, Granda, Dad, Uncles, cousins, brother even a couple of aunties, which was rare in those days. So so lucky

My dad was a Rangers fan. I started supporting Rangers in 1964 and got taken to my first Rangers game in 1966, aged 9 years old. After that, Rangers became a huge part of my life

Family tradition dating back to my great grandparents ,they must have started going to games shortly after we were formed :oops:

My grandfather was a big Rangers man, and was in Barcelona in 72. My father wasn’t that interested in football but took me to the juniors, Pollok. I got the bug through a combination of my grandfather, and the father of a primary school friend getting me into games for free with his son because he knew guys on the gate. I think my son is starting to get it a bit more now. Hopefully going to more games will help.

Born in Govan but don’t remember too much about it. Like a lot of families back then, we moved down to Ayrshire during what was called the overspill. Lived in this area ever since. Wouldn’t have mattered where we lived, the Rangers connection was there long before I was born.

i was born.

Not from a football family. So was left to my own devices.

Born and grew up in England supporting Chelsea. Still do ofcourse.
Rangers was always my preferred team in Scotland , I had that soft spot.

I was sent to Scotland by my work for a year and ended up settling down here when I met my partner. I got a ticket to a match, and couldn't stay away after that.

Back in the 70s, there was a nightly current affairs programme called Nationwide and each night they showed an item of interest from a regional programme and this particular night it was BBC Scotland. It was a story about football commentary for blind supporters and it was at Ibrox.i was a very impressionable 14yr old and was blown away by it.
It sparked a germ of interest that developed and grew, until eventually there was no other club for me than Rangers.

My old man was in the RAF, so we grew up down south - our grandad (Craigend) sent us our first Rangers tops when we were about 5, and it started from there.

We moved back up to Leuchars in 2002, and I actually took my dad to my first game at Ibrox when I was old enough to do it - he had always watched the games with me, but had never gone to them, so we never went until I started taking us.

I took my son to his first game when he was 4 and he is sat across from me right now wearing a Rangers top, he's obsessed with it.

Hard to move away from it again, but three years in Cyprus won't stop me coming back for games and I'll be asking for Lossie next, to make sure we can go to all of them!

My dad is/was one of them. He and my mum split when I was a baby so I was never really at risk of being swayed that way.

My mum and grandparents were not football fans. I was never really interested until I was about 8, all my friends at primary school were massive bears and they (along with their families) took me under their wing.

There was no path. As far as my dad was concerned, myself and my two younger brothers were born Rangers fans. And ain't we glad.

Earliest memories of life are all Rangers... Rangers strips, Rangers room, Rangers songs, Rangers teddies etc.

Earliest clear memories ever are getting the whole strip, away orange and blue stripe Adidas 93/94 the day before it came out in the shops as it was pre ordered and also being at trophy day for 6 in a row in a 0-0 draw with Dundee, not sure if that was my first game but was the first I can clearly remember being due to holding up bits of card saying 6 in a row and obviously with it being trophy day.

YESSS THE FAMOUS!! Great job done. Improvement needed but a massive result. Another £5M and another gate v PSV or Monaco. And then hopefully the big one!!! Enjoy the night Bears.

All my family die hard rangers fans and was never ever going to be any chance of me following any other team and It’s the exactly the same way with my two boys and no other team in the world comes close to the mighty Glasgow rangers.

Like many others it was very much family tradition, as far as my Dad was concerned both me and my brother were Rangers fans and that was it, and I’m very much glad for that!

He used to go to games with his Grandad back in the 60s who had been going for 50 years before that so it’s a tradition going back 100 years or more.

Back