What we might be lining up with next season

I was surprised myself but the person who told me is very reliable.

He just doesn't want to push himself to the next level, has the talent but not the desire.

Tav won’t be sold unless there’s a decent bid in for him and nor should he be. He seems to be the fall guy now that Windass has gone, undeservedly so IMO.

I can’t see there being 6 changes to the first 11either, over half a team isn’t wholesale changes in my book. THe gaffer has said there will be a few quality additions, not another rebuild.

Reactions: cav
Despite being our best midfielder? The manager also has stated that he's one of very few players he trusts to get the job done. Tuesday, for example, Jack was left to cover the very poor Kamara and the invisible Arfield. He was even our biggest threat from midfield despite being in the defensive role.
That’s your opinion mate, he might possibly be our best midfielder but it’s not as if there’s an abundance of talent in there.

He gets the ball and passes sideways or back.

We need midfielders who want to receive the ball on the half turn and advance with the ball and take a chance. None however seem to do that.

Tav won’t be sold unless there’s a decent bid in for him and nor should he be. He seems to be the fall guy now that Windass has gone, undeservedly so IMO.

I can’t see there being 6 changes to the first 11either, over half a team isn’t wholesale changes in my book. THe gaffer has said there will be a few quality additions, not another rebuild.
Unless we're getting ten million for Tav there's no way I'd sell him and Morelos in the same window-and I'm pretty sure Alfie will be gone this summer unfortunately.
Plus side being we might be able to use the Alfie money and invest in the team taking more of the burden evenly rather than depending on Tav and Morelos so heavily,as we currently do.
Fwiw here's an example of what I'd expect for in the summer in that scenario;

McGregor
Tav Goldson Suchy Barasic
Jack Shinnie
Petterson ??? Murphy
Koljic

The question marks are for a number ten type,and I'd expect that to require the most funding-not an easy task to get a player of the standard we'll be after though,and where MA needs to earn his wages I would suggest.

This is taking into account those likely out the door / could be sold to reinvest in squad, loans returning, and those I don’t believe are good enough.
Line up in a 4-3-3 for the sake of argument.

........................Greegs
???.......Goldson.......Katic.....???
............McC...............Kamara
........................???
..........???......???......???

To me that could be 6 first team players need filling. I wouldn’t have Jones and Shinnie in that first 11.

Seriously looks like a mini rebuild is on the cards again. Positive is we may have Morelos / Tav funds to bulk it up. Whether that gets used to find and buy genuine quality is anyone’s guess.

Hope neither of those two CB’s are starting next season. Katic 3rd choice, Goldson 4th or sold and two new better choices brought in would be ideal.

Possibly Kent wide of the 3 up top if he stays. That aside, I think you’re bang on with that.

Katic is not supposed to be a good trainer, does the minimum in each session then heads off home. The coaches want him to do extra work but he isn't interested. That's why he isn't in the team. He is highly thought of but won't be considered first choice until he shows that he wants to develop himself.

That's odd. I wonder what changed. A few weeks into the season, SG did a press conference with Katic, and said something along the lines of "I love him. Love, love him. And he's mine".

That’s your opinion mate, he might possibly be our best midfielder but it’s not as if there’s an abundance of talent in there.

We need midfielders who want to receive the ball on the half turn and advance with the ball and take a chance. None however seem to do that.
If you watch the game back, he's the only player that's playing forward passes. The side way pass theory is a myth.

I believe he’s good enough to play in the side. We’re told he’s here for the future. Well, he’ll be 22 next year, isn’t it next season or never?

If he doesn’t get some games between now and the end of the season he should split for the sake of his career!

This crap about he’s for the future is bull!

He deserves to at least get a starting slot after the Goldson- Worrall partnership and I mean as a partnership……has pretty much ……failed!

If Goldson doesn’t get his act together his position will be a ?? too. From being an automatic first pick and a great performance against the tims, he’s been a nervy shadow of his former self. I’d like to see McCrorie being developed as a centre back too. Think Barisic will come good after a pre season.
RMs best position is in midfield by quite some way

1 - I wouldn't say the Goldson/Worral partnership has failed.Its been generally fine.

2 - Katic is not better than Goldson.

3 - Candieas needs replaced.He's a try hard.Nothing more.

4 - Arfield needs replaced as the attacking midfielder with someone who contributes far more in terms of goals & assists.

As much as I love Kent we have missed Jamie Murphy big time.

Kent may look better on the eye but Murphy will contribute with goals and assists.

We have missed Murphy massively this season.

Reactions: cav
Docherty will hopefully be given the pre season and the friendlies to see if he can become a worthwhile addition to the squad.

If Rossiter continues to play and stay fit at Bury for the rest of the season who’s to say he won’t make an impression next season

That's odd. I wonder what changed. A few weeks into the season, SG did a press conference with Katic, and said something along the lines of "I love him. Love, love him. And he's mine".

They do love him but they are frustrated with his effort. It's the additional stuff they want to see from him, an extra hour in the gym, practising his passing and all the other stuff that top players do after the main sessions to be world class.

Think about David Beckham spending hours practising free kicks after the other players had left for the day.

Just IMO.
McGregor/Firth/Alnwick
Hutton/Flanagan/Polster Goldson/Katic Sandler/Halkett Barisic/Halliday
McCrorie/Docherty/Rossiter Kamara/Shinnie/Jack
Hastie/Candeias/Grezda Skov Olsen/Arfield/Dorrans Petterson/Kent(Loan)/Murphy
Morelos(Unless sold)/Defoe/Koljic/Livaja.

There is not a hope in hell we are signing 6 high quality players.

Will be 2 high quality players at most, imo, and the rest similar to what we have.

That right there. That is the reality.

Jack seemed to be the only one in midfield on Tuesday. Yes, Kamara has played well apart from both sheep games. He should be dropped after Tuesday though. May be unlikely due to injuries.
I thought Tuesday could have done with mccrorie rather than Kamara different type of game Kamara looks quality though.

I'd like to think we'd target players to allow us to change the system every once and a while.
Maybe stating the obvious but we've too many defensive mids and not enough attacking mids a who can change the course of a game,probably why we can't make a change that will make a difference,we've no better on the bench,so that has to be in the Gaffer's thinking,think he touched on it in his p.c.

Scott Arfield anyone?

Guy is important for us when we play fast paced football with a high press. He's looked poor the last few games when we can't press due to A) Defend and Hoof B) others not pressing when they need too.

He doesn’t have the guile to be playing number 10 for us

Hope neither of those two CB’s are starting next season. Katic 3rd choice, Goldson 4th or sold and two new better choices brought in would be ideal.

Possibly Kent wide of the 3 up top if he stays. That aside, I think you’re bang on with that.
I think it's pretty clear to every Rangers fan that Goldson is our first choice CB. Clearly, he will be next season too.

This is a key point for me that isn’t pointed out enough

Back