What we might be lining up with next season

RFC97

This is taking into account those likely out the door / could be sold to reinvest in squad, loans returning, and those I don’t believe are good enough.
Line up in a 4-3-3 for the sake of argument.

........................Greegs
???.......Goldson.......Katic.....???
............McC...............Kamara
........................???
..........???......???......???

To me that could be 6 first team players need filling. I wouldn’t have Jones and Shinnie in that first 11.

Seriously looks like a mini rebuild is on the cards again. Positive is we may have Morelos / Tav funds to bulk it up. Whether that gets used to find and buy genuine quality is anyone’s guess.

This is taking into account those likely out the door / could be sold to reinvest in squad, loans returning, and those I don’t believe are good enough.

To me that could be 6 first team players need filling. I wouldn’t have Jones and Shinnie in that first 11.

Seriously looks like a mini rebuild is on the cards again. Positive is we may have Morelos / Tav funds to bulk it up. Whether that gets used to find and buy genuine quality is anyone’s guess.

Considering Katic can't even get into the team this season, what makes you think he'll be our first choice next?

Considering Katic can't even get into the team this season, what makes you think he'll be our first choice next?

I believe he’s good enough to play in the side. We’re told he’s here for the future. Well, he’ll be 22 next year, isn’t it next season or never?

I believe he’s good enough to play in the side. We’re told he’s here for the future. Well, he’ll be 22 next year, isn’t it next season or never?

I have my doubts. There's been times where I felt he should've been brought into the fold this season and he wasn't. Just get the feeling that Gerrard doesn't fancy him for whatever reason.

I think our defence looked shakey since Katic was removed. He and Goldson were a partnership, Worrall and Goldson are the same type of players trying to do the same job and getting in each other’s way.

If Goldson doesn’t get his act together his position will be a ?? too. From being an automatic first pick and a great performance against the tims, he’s been a nervy shadow of his former self. I’d like to see McCrorie being developed as a centre back too. Think Barisic will come good after a pre season.

I think our defence looked shakey since Katic was removed. He and Goldson were a partnership, Worrall and Goldson are the same type of players trying to do the same job and getting in each other’s way.

Agreed. I still don’t get why that was tinkered with. One of a few mistakes that I believe has contributed to our failings.

It's far to early to even consider who's going and staying.

The only players definitely leaving are Worrall and McAuley, with Kent and Davis also a possibility

Yes, Worrall would have been recalled by Forest in January if he hadn’t played the required amount of games.

If Goldson doesn’t get his act together his position will be a ?? too. From being an automatic first pick and a great performance against the tims, he’s been a nervy shadow of his former self. I’d like to see McCrorie being developed as a centre back too. Think Barisic will come good after a pre season.

McCrorie for me will eventually be a ball playing centre half.

I feel he's more comfortable there

Agreed. I still don’t get why that was tinkered with. One of a few mistakes that I believe has contributed to our failings.

I think our manager wants both CHs as warriors who take control and clear everything.
Katic has more pace and is better on the ball and less panicky. He tries to get up the park and scores at set pieces.
I think the failure here is our managers views on CHs. He is definitely no Walter Smith who has a great eye for CHs and a central defence partnership.

It's far to early to even consider who's going and staying.

The only players definitely leaving are Worrall and McAuley, with Kent and Davis also a possibility

Our season is over and I've seen enough to make my mind up on a number of players.

I still wouldn't rush to sell Tav.

Mcgregor
Tav
Goldson
Katic
Any one, LB is so lame.

Jack
Kamara
wax a shit load of cash on some guy

Kent
Morelos
wax a shit load of cash on some guy

Buy 2 "Jelavcis" ie just boss players who will lift the lot.

Last edited:

Write Capt beside McCrorie

Don’t think we will win much with that team mate lol.

I’d be hoping Rossiter and Docherty would see games but think you are spot on with the players you have included.

Considering he doesn’t want another rebuild, there won’t be 6 new starters.

The manager said when he signed that he thought Murty playing McCrorie at CH was a complete waste so I can't see that he'll be doing that himself.

so we are looking at 5-6 quality first team players coming in?
I think that's pretty much a major re build
IF the manager has learnt anything from his first season, it must be that the majority of what he has is not good enough.
It's not quite back to square 1, but its not that far from it.
It's risky and it's still a HUGE ask

Last edited:
Agree but the scary thing is I think he is better than the Croat at the scum.

I do really rate big Niko. He came back into the side with a couple of howlers, but his early season form suggests that if Gerrard stuck with him in the side after we qualified for the group stages and he gained more momentum, he'd probably be our best Centre half just now by a distance.

For whatever reason though it just doesn't look like Gerrard fancies him now.

Scott Arfield anyone?

Guy is important for us when we play fast paced football with a high press. He's looked poor the last few games when we can't press due to A) Defend and Hoof B) others not pressing when they need too.

Greegs

Tav ?
Goldson
????
????

Kamara
Shinnie?
????

Hastie?
Alfie??
Jones

It’s another mass rebuild.

If Shinnie is in our starting 11 regularly next season then we have problems. He's not even the best centre mid at Aberdeen.

Same applies to Jones. Hopefully both are squad players.

Aside from footage of a few of his goals, I haven't seen enough of Hastie to comment on him.

You can't decide the front 4 aren't of the required quality so all 4 will be replaced.
1 player if Morelos stays would make a big difference.
2 new signings if we keep Buffalo or 3 if he goes. Supplemented with what we have.

can't do a worse job than our current and he captained the u21 scotland team in the qualifiers. basically the same thing :p

Captaining Scotland 21s is same as captaining rangers, your at it hahaha

A wouldn't make mccrorie captain this early in his career at this critical time for Rangers.

If we were winning back to back titles then maby give him the experience (like they have done with golden boy) but right now nah, we need an experienced leader in there now.

Captaining Scotland 21s is same as captaining rangers, your at it hahaha

A wouldn't make mccrorie captain this early in his career at this critical time for Rangers.

If we were winning back to back titles then maby give him the experience (like they have done with golden boy) but right now nah, we need an experienced leader in there now.
your right i was at it.

yeah fair point it probably does need someone with more experience. If Shinnie came along would you consider him?/do you even want him?

your right i was at it.

yeah fair point it probably does need someone with more experience. If Shinnie came along would you consider him?/do you even want him?

The players id like in are players who would be able to compete well in europa or CL if we want to be at that level, shinnie for me is like for like what we already have, id say jones is in that bracket too. If we get him id support him like any other Rangers player bit hes not a player likely to take us up a level.

It all depends if we stick with the same formation. McCrorie in a back 3 or even at right back would work very well imo. In fact, if Tav does leave, he should slot right in there.
It was his best position in the youths.
I'm also holding off with the praise for Kamara. The two games against the sheep recently have made him look like a 50k player. I'll go further and say that his performance on Tuesday was one of the worst I've seen at Ibrox this season.
The midfield needs far more quality as does the front positions. I would hope Katic will get more games next season as he has loads of potential.
Big summer ahead and a bigger budget required. This will be our 4th season back in the Spl and the allowances and excuses won't wash next season, that's for sure.

Reactions: cav
Despite being our best midfielder? The manager also has stated that he's one of very few players he trusts to get the job done. Tuesday, for example, Jack was left to cover the very poor Kamara and the invisible Arfield. He was even our biggest threat from midfield despite being in the defensive role.
Every single team selection on this thread gives me the major fear.

Even Ryan jack could quite easily be replaced.

Another player who simply ain’t good enough over the course of a season

Scott Arfield anyone?

Guy is important for us when we play fast paced football with a high press. He's looked poor the last few games when we can't press due to A) Defend and Hoof B) others not pressing when they need too.
He hasn't got the required fitness for that role, 1 game in every 4/5 is unacceptable. He's also totally unsuited to it, he's never played that role prior to joining us and his lack of creativity and finishing ability is obvious.
It's time we got in players who suit the role the manager requires.

If Shinnie is in our starting 11 regularly next season then we have problems. He's not even the best centre mid at Aberdeen.

Same applies to Jones. Hopefully both are squad players.
Aside from footage of a few of his goals, I haven't seen enough of Hastie to comment on him.

Shinnie would walk in our current team. Has utterly bossed it against us all season.

Shinnie would walk in our current team. Has utterly bossed it against us all season.

No he hasn't. He's played well in the two recent encounters and that's it. Our whole midfield were woeful in those two games.

Ryan Jack absolutely schooled him in the opening day of the season for the time he was on the park.

The other two games we dominated and were done by set pieces.

There is not a hope in hell we are signing 6 high quality players.

Will be 2 high quality players at most, imo, and the rest similar to what we have.

Dunno how it'd work but a 5-3-2 with 2 wing backs I'd like to see obviously change to a 3-5-2 pretty easily. My head ends up somewhere else sometimes but.

Correct.

I don't think Katic, Barisic or Grezda will even still be here next season.

Katic is not supposed to be a good trainer, does the minimum in each session then heads off home. The coaches want him to do extra work but he isn't interested. That's why he isn't in the team. He is highly thought of but won't be considered first choice until he shows that he wants to develop himself.

GK - McGregor / NEW
RB - NEW / Flanagan
RCB - Goldson / NEW
LCB - NEW / Katic
LB - Barisic / Halliday
RDM - McCrorie / Kamara / Polster
LDM - Jack / Shinnie / Docherty
RM - NEW / Candeias / Hastie
CAM - NEW / Arfield / Murphy
LM - Kent / Jones / Grezda
CF - NEW / Defoe / Lafferty

Despite being our best midfielder? The manager also has stated that he's one of very few players he trusts to get the job done. Tuesday, for example, Jack was left to cover the very poor Kamara and the invisible Arfield. He was even our biggest threat from midfield despite being in the defensive role.
No one had a good game on Tuesday but he was the most effective in any sense out of the 3. He's played quite well all season in my eyes.

There is not a hope in hell we are signing 6 high quality players.

Will be 2 high quality players at most, imo, and the rest similar to what we have.

I think this is what will happen.
Not what we need to challenge and win, but a likely scenario.

Think we need to change the current system slightly and add a few more players in key positions. The current 4-3-3 has us in effect playing 2 wingers who contribute barely f*ck in terms of goals, need to tuck these 2 positions inwards as our current full backs should be able provide more than enough width.

.............McGregor

Tav.....Goldson...Katic......Barisic

........McCrorie.....Jack.

...........Attacking Midfielder

...Right Sided Forward... Kent

..................Morelos

Katic is not supposed to be a good trainer, does the minimum in each session then heads off home. The coaches want him to do extra work but he isn't interested. That's why he isn't in the team. He is highly thought of but won't be considered first choice until he shows that he wants to develop himself.

I'm surprised by that as he looked like he was working his balls off in the winter break training videos from Tenerife.

If it's true though then I very much doubt Gerrard will persevere with him at the club much longer.

No one had a good game on Tuesday but he was the most effective in any sense out of the 3. He's played quite well all season in my eyes.
Jack seemed to be the only one in midfield on Tuesday. Yes, Kamara has played well apart from both sheep games. He should be dropped after Tuesday though. May be unlikely due to injuries.

Back